PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a plane that fits this discription 3.5

Grifthin
2010-07-04, 03:19 PM
Well, session just ended. The party activated a artifact that teleported the lot of them to a different plane of existence. I just made up a discription on the spot, now I need to find a plane I can refluff for their use.

The light was murky, like a overcast day with no visible sun. They where in a empty field of browndry grass that crumbled at their touch. Dark clouds where getting blown over the sky by the strong wind that whipped around them. It was also raining blood. To the west was what appeared to be a forest of some sort and the dark band of some kind of river to the east. The air was breathable if foul.

Which plane would you say would best fit this description ? or should I just try and fluff something up ? What would you guys recommend I go with this for ?

SaintRidley
2010-07-04, 03:23 PM
Random layer of the Abyss.

hamishspence
2010-07-04, 03:24 PM
Some parts of Carceri may qualify.

afroakuma
2010-07-04, 03:47 PM
That pretty much nails it on the head; either one of the top two layers of Carceri, or else (much more likely and useful) a random Abyssal layer.

Cog
2010-07-04, 04:05 PM
Alternatively, a different world/Material plane that's suffering under a curse.

nedz
2010-07-04, 04:37 PM
Other options :
Ysgard on a bad day. Perhaps the local power is a tad depressed ?
Hades.

Actually since most outer planes are infinite and divinely morphic you can go with almost anything.

Starfols
2010-07-04, 04:41 PM
Except for maybe the blood, sounds like the plane of shadow to me.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-07-04, 04:41 PM
That also sounds like it could be ravenloft though probably not a published domain.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-04, 04:48 PM
Could even be the Outlands on a really bad day. Some plot-important anomaly has been caused by Evil magic gone out of control. Perhaps a mad wizard's experiments have gone horribly wrong? I smell a plot hook!

EDIT: The point being that it's much more interesting if the place isn't normally like that. Then the players get to figure out what's going on, leading them to adventure and sweet, sweet treasure!

Fearan
2010-07-04, 05:12 PM
Definitly not Outlands - you can always see the Spire there, you know. Abyss is ok

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-04, 05:47 PM
Definitly not Outlands - you can always see the Spire there, you know. Abyss is ok

Really? Didn't know that. Although now that you mention it I remember there being something about how no matter how far away you traveled from it, it always takes the same amount of time to get back there (or something like that). Sadly, I haven't had much planar adventuring in a long time. :smallfrown::smallsigh:

Eldan
2010-07-04, 05:58 PM
Actually, the outlands are weird like that: travelling from any landmark to any other landmark behind the horizon always takes the same amount of time. 2d6 days, I think, but I'm not sure.

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-04, 07:14 PM
Which cosmology are you using? The Great Wheel?

Morph Bark
2010-07-04, 07:18 PM
Raining blood is a trait of an evil-infested area (durr), as detailed under "evil weather" in BoVD. A cursed alternate Material Plane or random Abyssal layer sounds about right (though for some reason I imagine most Abyssal layers to be looking subterranean).

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-04, 07:19 PM
It's a Boeing 747!

Actually, as noted, it could be just about anywhere, really. The Plane of Dreams? Faerie? Carceri? Some (oddly calm) Abyssal layer? One of the Seven Hells? A Doppel Cosmology Material Plane? A bubble in the Astral Plane? A demiplane of some sort?

The possibilities, like The Great Wheel itself, are endless.

Morph Bark
2010-07-04, 07:23 PM
The possibilities, like The Great Wheel itself, are endless.

So true, except for one thing: the Great Wheel is endless several times. Actually, it would be endless an infinite amount of times if the Abyss actually has an Infinite amount of Layers as its full name suggests.

Such a shame that math says infinte times infinity is still infinity. I guess it breaks down when it gets to such levels just like DnD does when you get to level 21 and beyond.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-04, 08:28 PM
though for some reason I imagine most Abyssal layers to be looking subterranean

Just don't say that around Pazuzu, ruler of all the skies in the Abyss.

Lev
2010-07-04, 08:37 PM
More creative options:
Make your own plane
Alter the history of an existing plane, perhaps post-death of a god
Merge some plane space where you are

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-04, 08:55 PM
You probably should choose based on what's happened in the campaign so far, to make it fit in in a very serendipitous way. Maybe someone's tampering with the PCs' fates.

What's happened so far?

Wolf Warhead
2010-07-04, 09:24 PM
Alter the history of an existing plane, perhaps post-death of a god

And the blood raining down is that God's, made to rain forever by the killer to mock any followers remaining on that plane?

Kaje
2010-07-04, 09:54 PM
Why did you introduce an artifact that would teleport them to another plane without planning out where to go from there?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-04, 09:56 PM
You could just make up a plane. As a DM you are allowed to do that.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-04, 10:00 PM
You could just make up a plane. As a DM you are allowed to do that.

Indeed, it's strange how many DMs are afraid to homebrew stuff. Not the OP, but some DMs in general.

Hague
2010-07-04, 10:01 PM
Well, if it were Carceri, everything would be tinted red. If it were Gehenna, everything would be on a slant and the air would be filled with choking toxic gas and such. Yeah, Abyssal layer seems about right, though a random demiplane or alternate Material Plane are just as likely.

Coidzor
2010-07-04, 10:04 PM
Just don't say that around Pazuzu, ruler of all the skies in the Abyss.

This being why most of them are subterranean, to muscle him out of there.

I'd say a material plane about to be eaten by Acheron.

Marriclay
2010-07-04, 10:07 PM
I'd say a material plane about to be eaten by Acheron.

I always did like the coterminous planes idea from Eberron. perhaps they're still on the material plane (Or maybe an alternate one) and it's simply coterminous (Which means the planes are rubbing together, getting essence of one in the other)

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-04, 10:12 PM
How about...

THE FUTURE

This'd be especially distressing if it were about to be hurled into the sun.

They arrived at nighttime; the sun has amassed into a collapsed white dwarf (blindingly bright during the daytime), and the illithids are on the loose.

Ravens_cry
2010-07-04, 10:18 PM
How about...

THE FUTURE

This'd be especially distressing if it were about to be hurled into the sun.

They arrived at nighttime; the sun has amassed into a collapsed white dwarf (blindingly bright during the daytime), and the illithids are on the loose.
I know this is fantasy but. . .
MORBO SAYS: WHITE DWARFS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! ! !

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-04, 10:56 PM
MORBO SAYS: WHITE DWARFS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! ! !What about African American dwarfs?

But which part are you alluding to, the fact that the white dwarf is blindingly bright, or the fact that the illithids are trying to catapult the planet into it?

What if the collapsing of the sun pulled the planets in, and now the planet is much closer to the sun than it used to be?

Lev
2010-07-04, 11:07 PM
And the blood raining down is that God's, made to rain forever by the killer to mock any followers remaining on that plane?
Thats true, the death of the god however it happened could have somehow malfunctioned or broke the plane.

MORBO SAYS: WHITE DWARFS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! ! !

Technically if the campaign permits 7th dimensional metaphysics white dwarfs can pour you a glass of "liquid lizard sleep seventeen oval" in another plane.

Grifthin
2010-07-04, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I think I'm definately going to use that. I'm strongly leaning though to maby making it a new plane that the various powers in the bloodwar are fighting over. I'm thinking that I wanna link Asmodeus to it (cause he's a magnificent bastard), perhaps even let the pc's work for him. Thanks for the all the info, I'm getting a copy of manual of the planes today :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-07-04, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I think I'm definately going to use that. I'm strongly leaning though to maby making it a new plane that the various powers in the bloodwar are fighting over. I'm thinking that I wanna link Asmodeus to it (cause he's a magnificent bastard), perhaps even let the pc's work for him. Thanks for the all the info, I'm getting a copy of manual of the planes today :smallbiggrin:

Just remember the example of Geryon for people who actually do their time for Asmodeus.

Lev
2010-07-04, 11:21 PM
There are much more detailed planes in the Fiendish Codex I and II if you are looking for the nastier planes.

Grifthin
2010-07-05, 01:44 AM
Thanks - I've got those two, I'll give em a read.

Harperfan7
2010-07-05, 07:35 AM
Winter in Indiana.

Rothen
2010-07-05, 07:49 AM
Such a shame that math says infinte times infinity is still infinity. I guess it breaks down when it gets to such levels just like DnD does when you get to level 21 and beyond.

There's some kinds of infinity that are bigger than others, though, so it still works to a certain degree.