PDA

View Full Version : Houseruled metamagic feats

thirdkingdom
2010-07-04, 07:28 PM
I was thinking tonight about changing the metamagic rules so that a character could either dedicate a higher slot or simply make a Spellcraft Challenge against a specific DC set by the level of spell affected and the type of metamagic effect applied. Using this method a character without a specific feat could apply it to a spell, although the DC would be even higher (say by +10). Has anyone ever used something like this? How do you think it would work?

Todd

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-04, 07:32 PM
So everyone is an Incantatrix, but better? This will increase the power of all spellcasters by a huge margin. I'd recommend against it; they're powerful enough as-is.

fryplink
2010-07-04, 07:35 PM
I tried something very similar, watch out for spellcraft-boosting items and effects. Make them loose the spell if they fail the check, force auto-fails on rolls of 1 to keep using higher level slots a considerable option, make the DC's harder on higher level spells and harder on higher level metamagics (ie: quicken without level adjustment would have to have a really large DC boost upwards of +30 meaning that it paired with a high level spell would have a DC of 70 or more to cast)

EDIT: In order to balance against other casters, make normal spells require a spellcraft DC or fail, maybe as an ACF to allow the metamagic reducer, ALL spells require such rolls, so sometimes you;ll be able to pull off high power tricks while sometimes you'll fail even small tricks (remember 1+ FAIL)

Douglas
2010-07-04, 07:35 PM
The ability to do exactly this, a limited number of times per day, only after the fact (i.e. to spells with ongoing durations) or to allies' spells, is - despite those restrictions - one of the major reasons the Incantatrix prestige class is considered extremely overpowered.