PDA

View Full Version : Avatar - Times of power?

Aeromyre
2010-07-04, 08:07 PM
I don't know if anyone covered this in the system, but if not how could you deal with it?
In times like the full moon or sozin's comet what would you do to make water and fire benders better, and do air and earth benders have a time like this i'm forgetting?

Aeromyre
2010-07-04, 09:14 PM
Anyone know?

Jota
2010-07-04, 09:23 PM
DM fiat. Unless your moon somehow orbits much faster and this bonus occurs once every few days (or you want it to apply to different regions [though let's be honest, no one cares about NPCS], which might merit mechanics, same applies to the comet), something that occurs that infrequently (given the course of an average adventure) is better off just left to the DM in my mind.

Aeromyre
2010-07-04, 09:30 PM
DM fiat. Unless your moon somehow orbits much faster and this bonus occurs once every few days (or you want it to apply to different regions [though let's be honest, no one cares about NPCS], which might merit mechanics, same applies to the comet), something that occurs that infrequently (given the course of an average adventure) is better off just left to the DM in my mind.

Yeah i suppose so, but being lawful in nature i like to have rules for such things.
I'm thinking water benders add 1/3 of their level and firebenders add 1/2

Jota
2010-07-04, 09:59 PM
Oh, you meant mechanical effects, not when it happens. Can't help there; unfamiliar with the system.

blackspeeker
2010-07-05, 12:02 AM
Edit: http://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/
The version my group uses is the second because it's more customizable.

Depends on what version you're using since there are only two avatar systems I know about, the first version uses bending like spells and gives you a bonus to your bender level:
For fire benders
Child of the Sun
Firebenders draw much of their power from the sun, the ultimate source of fire. During the day, a firebender’s effective bending level increases by 1 for the purpose of adjudicating firebending abilities. Additionally, during the passage of a comet near the planet, a firebender’s effective bending level increases by an additional 2 for the purposes of adjudicating firebending abilities. However, the close link between the sun and firebending has its drawbacks. During a solar eclipse, firebenders are unable to use any firebending abilities.

version 2 uses bending checks:
Child of the Sun
Firebenders draw much of their power from the sun, the ultimate source of fire. During the day, firebenders gain a +2 circumstance bonus on Firebending checks due to the influence of the sun. Additionally, during the passage of a comet near the planet, Firebenders gain an additional +20 circumstance bonus to Firebending checks. However, the close link between the sun and firebending has its drawbacks. During a solar eclipse, firebenders are unable to use any firebending abilities.

And for waterbenders
Child of the Moon - Waterbenders draw much of their power from the moon. During the night, waterbenders gain a +2 circumstance bonus on Waterbending checks due to the influence of the moon. Additionally, during a full moon, Waterbenders gain an additional +5 circumstance bonus to Waterbending checks. However, the close link between the moon and Waterbending has its drawbacks. During a lunar eclipse, waterbenders are unable to use any waterbending abilities.

I hope this helps, I'm not sure if it will or not.