PDA

View Full Version : Severing Limbs in combat [3.5 D&D]

Omegas
2010-07-04, 09:37 PM
Use the following method to damage, brake, or sever limbs in melee battle.

This is a small variant that only modifies sunder and allows dismembering, during battle, and before a foe is helpless.
Normally = the only method of severing or dismembering a limb from a living creature is to make them helpless. This makes it impossible to remove a limb during battle and before the creature is dead or dying, with the exception of one spell.

There are several ways to reattach or regrow limbs in D&D, but it is not defined how to remove limbs during battle. The most common suggestion is using criticals and flavor text (ie you did 10pt of damage and your hit severed the knoll’s arm off). There are very few players that would except the loss of their PC’s limb as part of flavor text and any random factor favors the enemies. Thus many wanted a non-random method that accomplished this goal before a target died.

This is how it is done.

The attacker must make a sunder attempt against a living target’s limb that is within their melee threat reach. Height is a factor, if the limb is above the attackers reach then they can not target it. All of the rules of sundering apply except the limb has its own AC and it’s hit points are determined as a percentage of the target’s max HP.

Limbs AC = The targets full AC and reduce the size modifier by 2 size categories. Refer to page 134 PHB. This represents the size of the limb compared to the targets full size. Examples: a human would go from 0 to +2, a gnome would go from a +1 to a +4, and so on.

If the limb is equipped with a weapon that offers any bonus to hit then that bonus is added to the limb’s AC as a circumstantial bonus. Spells that increase a players ability to hit can also be counted in this AC bonus. Arms equipped with any shield larger then a buckler have total cover an may not be targeted. If a PC is equipped with a tower shield then the leg behind the shield also has total cover. In most case a shield has to be sundered to bits before the limb can be targeted.

Sundering through armor makes sundering limbs too tedious and most players lost interest, thus armor is used only to determine a successful hit. Hitting an armored limb means striking an area of the limb that is not covered. All armor has chink points including full plate.

Limb HP = Divide the targets max HP by the total number of limbs -2 (minimum 2 limbs) this is the limbs HP. Count only arms, legs, wings, and any limb that can perform an unarmed or natural strike, not counting the head.

Although “limb damage” is lethal damage, it is tracked in the same manner as non-lethal damage. Every point of damage done to a limb is applied to the targets current HP. Tracking limb HP is only to determine the amount of damage the limb has sustained. Note; a sunder limb attempt against a creature that is immune to criticals is ineffective and does no damage.

Limb Damage Effects

Disabled = at 1/2 limb HP. For all intensive purposes the limb can not preform it’s normal functions. If needed disabled arms and wings can still be flailed in the way of an attack to the head. So; the head can not be targeted unless all block able limbs have been broken or severed, the target is helpless, or the attacker uses the feat Head Shot.
Arms = the hand is unable to grasp anything and can’t perform simple gestures or skills.
Legs = a bipedal target can’t stand while threatened. Quadruped may stand with 3 legs. Maniped are unaffected.
Wings = the target can not fly or even glide.
Tail = If the target depends on it’s tail to fly like most dragons do, then it can not fly but it may still glide.

Claw, Hooves and Talons = Creatures with claw like attacks can make a clumsy claw attack with a disabled limb. The creature takes a -2 to their attack and they make the attack as if their strength bonus was “0”. If these limbs are also used to remain standing then they may do so but they are unable to move while threatened.

Broken = (bludgeoning) limb HP = 0 or less. The limb is still attached but it is fractured, shattered, or there is a protruding bone. The limb can not be moved on it’s own. DC = 15 heal check to set the bone. Regenerate is needed to mend the bone or 1 months time to heal naturally even after the creature’s HP has been restored.

Severed = (slashing) limb HP = 0 or less. It's missing! Refer to healing below.

Excessive Limb Damage = Damage from an attack can NOT exceed the max hit points of a limb. Plus severing a limb does not trigger the cleave feat. Example: If a player scores a critical hit to sever the limb of a Gnoll with a max HP of 11, and 1/2 of 11 HP is 5.5 rounded up to (6), then any damage exceeding 6 pts is wasted. This makes severing work on low CR monsters.

Secondary Damage - If a limb is missing or broken it represents a traumatic injury; so treat it like being hit with a weapon of wounding = -1 Constitution each round until stabilized - heal check DC 15. Con HP damage reduces both current and max HP so they continue to take damage every other round, and they can even die (bleed out) if not attended too.

Healing - Cure spells will not mend a broken bone nor regrow a missing limb. Magical healing targets the whole body at once, thus only a portion of any cure spell applies to limb damage - (unless the only damage a PC has sustained is to a limb.) Divide the total regained points by the number of damaged limbs and the body. A healer can target just one limb but any extra recovered HP over the limb HP is lost in the same way excess damage is. Disabled limbs can not be used until fully healed and if a character is regaining health by resting then the limb is the last to heal.

Two Handed Weapons = With the feat Monkey Grip a player may wield a 2 handed melee weapon in one hand. There is more to Monkey Grip but, in a nutshell, this makes welding weapons in this manor like a proficiency. A disabled fighter with a 2 handed weapon can wield it as if they where un-proficient with it in one hand.

Alternate Movement
Hobbling or crawling (Base land speed = 5) can not run
A crutch 5gp (Base land speed = 10) max run x2
A wood leg 15gp (Base land speed = 20) max run x3
Clockwork Leg 300gp (Base land speed = Normal) Charisma -1

Battle Effectiveness - Disabling, braking, or severing a limb only prohibits the use of that limb and the skill checks requiring that limb. There are no negatives to using other limbs to attack. Most often foes can continue to attack with the loss of one limb. DM may adjust moral modifiers to determine when the foes choose to flee. Sundering limbs vs direct damage is comparable in the number of rounds it takes to defeat a foe due to the additional AC and attacks of opportunity.

Statistics = Accounting for all monsters in the books and factoring by level vs CR; only 1 in every 58th foe would be both able and willing to attempt sundering a hero’s limbs. Most would determine the attack of opportunity to not be worth it.

Clerics can reattach or regenerate lost or broken limbs, for a moderate fee (regenerate spell = 910 gold), so it is not that unthinkable to have characters/foes brake or lose limbs in battle. It will force them to think on their feet (or foot in this case) and adjust their tactics accordingly. It also presents the players with more options to diversify their character development.

Kindest Personal Regards
Omegas

grimbold
2010-07-04, 09:50 PM
this is very interesting, however could you tell me what exaclty diasbled means, in your case?
ts interesting because this can slow down barbarians wo like to beast w/ the greataxe.
(However i rule that if your strength is over 23 and you have at least 2 2weapon fighting feats you can dual wield them :).)

Omegas
2010-07-04, 11:21 PM
this is very interesting, however could you tell me what exaclty disasbled means, in your case?

Disabled = Damaged to the point of an inability to preform basic or mundane task weather due to the reduction of motor skills or the need to immobilize the limb in order to prevent further damage or the risk of reopening serious wounds.

However; much like HP (you feel no ill effects from the loss of HP until you are at 0 hit point or less - thus your are every bit as effective at 1 Hp as you are at full health)
A severed limb has no effect on the performance of other limbs with the exception of preforming tasks that require 2 hands like climbing. Often good examples are given for skill mods under these conditions. (No it does not say "If missing an arm").

You do make a valid point about the 2 handed weapon but there is an effective RAW solution.

1) A fair argument would be, that the proficiency feats only allow you to wield a weapon without the -4 negative modifier, thus every character can use every weapon regardless of proficiencies.
2) There are feats that also allow you to wield large weapons as 2 handed and 2 handed as a 1 handed weapon and so on, thus it is possible to adapt the proficiencies you have learned.
3) With this basis all characters can use all weapons and modify how they are used simply by takes the -4 for not being proficient, or -8 for not being proficient and using it 1 handed (or so on).

grimbold
2010-07-05, 07:32 AM
Ok before icontinue i just want to help you here because i think this is a great idea.
Ok so let me make sure i understand you, if I'm disabled i can't like swing a sword, (assuming it was my dominant hand).
A few more points
1. Perhaps the arm should have an ac increase for larger creatures instead of smaller ones. This is because larger creatures typically have larger arms than smaller ones. So perhaps a reverse of the current size mdoifier ac system would help. (Gnome w/ nothing else on but clothes has ac 11 but on arm has ac 9)
2. Monks are essentially martial arts gurus, i have friends who have been taking karate and other martial arts for most of their lives. They know how to break bones easily. So i think that the chances for disabled and broken/ severed should be the same but monks just break arms.
3. What is the difference between disabled and broken? If I was fighting for my life i would not stop using an arm until it was broken not just bleeding heavily.
4. What happens when you chop off a leg or is that impossible?
5. Are monty python quotes allowed by the one losing limbs?

Otherwise i am looking forward to trying this next time i play :smallcool:

Aeolius
2010-07-05, 07:54 AM
You might want to invest in one of these, for game nights:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/carousel/black_knight_fleshwound.jpg

grimbold
2010-07-05, 08:07 AM
WIN :smallbiggrin:

Omegas
2010-07-05, 12:50 PM
Ok before icontinue i just want to help you here because i think this is a great idea.
Ok so let me make sure i understand you, if I'm disabled i can't like swing a sword, (assuming it was my dominant hand).
A few more points
1. Perhaps the arm should have an ac increase for larger creatures instead of smaller ones. This is because larger creatures typically have larger arms than smaller ones. So perhaps a reverse of the current size mdoifier ac system would help. (Gnome w/ nothing else on but clothes has ac 11 but on arm has ac 9)
2. Monks are essentially martial arts gurus, i have friends who have been taking karate and other martial arts for most of their lives. They know how to break bones easily. So i think that the chances for disabled and broken/ severed should be the same but monks just break arms.
3. What is the difference between disabled and broken? If I was fighting for my life i would not stop using an arm until it was broken not just bleeding heavily.
4. What happens when you chop off a leg or is that impossible?
5. Are monty python quotes allowed by the one losing limbs?

Otherwise i am looking forward to trying this next time i play :smallcool:

Ok oodles of questions. I will start in the same order you asked.

:smile: (.5) you asked "if I'm disabled i can't like swing a sword" before asking question 1.
A. correct disable means that it you could not pick your nose with it but you retain the ability to hold your arm against your body so that it is not failing around during battle.

:cool: (1) Actually all creatures receive the AC increase. The example I made was of a medium creature " sorry I did not clarify that in the original post - I will edit it. An arm or leg would represent a target 2 size categories smaller then the creature thus it would be like attacking a creature of that size. As their size is already factored into their AC you can offer all creatures a flat +2 AC mod when targeting a limb.

:annoyed: (2) True but adventurers are no kittens either. HP represents both an ability to reduce the power of a strike or expending yourself to avoid an injury. As characters advance their skill and HP grows so it is not fair to set a flat HP total to a limb. Even in Karate the combatant has to succeed with the strike and apply enough force to damage the bone.

:confused: (3) Disabled vs Broken Vs Severed. Healing spells do not cure broken bones or severed limbs. You may regain your hit points but your limb is still broken or severed.
3A) A disabled limb can be healed through normal magic, during combat, as specified in the first post. Its is not as easy as simple healing overall damage but it can be done. Also disable limbs can heal from resting at a normal rate.
3B) Broken would represent excessive damage with a bludgeoning weapon. Although the limb is still attached it is bleeding profusely and the bone is broke, shattered, or protruding. Unlike slashing a broken bone can be set and heal in a months time.
3C) Severed would represent excessive damage with a slashing weapon. The limb is missing and again bleeding profusely. Unlike broke a severed limb can only be reattached or regenerated with magic.

:eek: (4) It is possible to sever a leg. Honestly it should have more hit points and do more damaged from the wound but for mechanics it is best to keep it uniform, and it could be argued that it was severed at the knee.

:sigh: (5) Sure.

:roach: Variant = In the absence of funds for a regeneration service or the availability of clerics - I would say a wooden leg could be fashioned for 10 gold max land base speed 20 and run x3. Also the feet magic slot would be lost.

Omegas
2010-07-05, 01:00 PM
Also the feet magic slot would be lost.

This is a good point. There are a lot of times where it would be easier to relieve a person of the limb equipped with a magical item then it would be to remove it from them in battle.

Example = a rouge has arm bands of haste and the little rat is over using them. If I have a slashing weapon I can remove the arm. Boots, gloves, bracers, armbands all require both sides to work and rings are a prime example. No hand means no ring.

Omegas
2010-07-05, 01:15 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/carousel/black_knight_fleshwound.jpg

Honestly In all of our fights we have only removed 2 limbs in battle like twice. At that point the target was almost helpless but the point remained true.

If they had attack the foe directly it may have bought the foe one more round to attack.

On average severing will disable and kill a target 5% faster then out right attacking and reduce damage substantiated by the party by 8%. Attack of opportunities increase about 20%.

imp_fireball
2010-07-05, 03:33 PM
Then the player can sunder the targets unequipped arm as if it where a physical weapon with Hp, and do it before the foe is helpless.

I'm thinking the opponent could oppose this like a disarm attempt. If they fail, then you may choose to sunder the opponents limb. In order to sunder their weapon or held/worn item, you must make a normal sunder check.

Also, how about this ruling:

Opponent makes Fort save equal to damage dealt. This damage is not dealt to the opponent's HP - it merely determines the Fort DC.

If the opponent fails by X - then incur so and so penalty for Fort save. If they fail by (drastic) Y, then attacker is allowed a free sunder attempt against another limb.

Opponent has a circumstantial bonus to this Fort save (Z) for particularly thick limbs or more difficult to sunder areas such as the torso.

They can make a reflex save (DC = 1/2 attack roll to sunder) to completely avoid attacks made against vital appendages (ie. the head) for free - they receive a +8 competence bonus to this save if they have evasion and a +18 competence bonus if they have improved evasion. This is made before the attack roll to oppose the sunder.

Incur <insert effect here> for severed/damaged <insert limb here>.

If an opponent has multiple vital areas, the above applies.

If an opponent only has one vital area, they must make a Fort save (GM discretion) or drop to -9 hp, are dying, and cannot recover hp above this until the vital appendage is restored/re-attached. A successful Fort save means they treat the loss of the appendage as if losing a regular appendage.

NOTE: People don't die immediately upon losing their heads. Rather, while inconclusive, science says that the person is still conscious - however they cannot speak (or make noises), cannot breathe, cannot control their body (brain is severed from the spinal cord) and blood is rapidly draining away from their brains. Usually they have about 30 seconds to live and since there is no coming back, they are pretty much dead regardless. Shock may result in paralysis of the face, but not always! There are records of the eyes of a severed head staring at people and following them, even blinking just after being detached from the body.
------

Additional Option - Quite simply, the hardness provided by the armor is the hardness given to any limb covered by the armor. That way, it actually becomes logical to wear a helmet in D&D and not a breast plate that only covers your chest/boobs and stomache.

Omegas
2010-07-05, 10:39 PM
I'm thinking the opponent could oppose this like a disarm attempt. If they fail, then you may choose to sunder the opponents limb. In order to sunder their weapon or held/worn item, you must make a normal sunder check.

Also, how about this ruling:

Ok I like your input but this sounds more like a full out house rule and less like a variant to the core rules. I would like to know what you have based this save system off of. Also I believe called shots and sundering limbs should be consider apples and oranges.

True you can preform a head butt but your head is rarely used as a weapon. Plus there are a lot of lines to cross with head shots. I can fight missing an arm. I can not fight missing a head. The same is true of a torso. called shots are too controversial to include with sundering limbs.

As far as opposing the check = Disarm and Sunder are also 2 independent abilities. If you do not have improved sunder then you do oppose an "Aoo" (Attack of Opportunity)

Like all Aoo you can use a few tricks to avoid the sunder altogether. Sunder is the best choice as it is striking a specific part of the target. You can not disarm the targets arm.

I would agree that sunder could be used for called shots but it would be a completely different variant, and I don't see saves to being a good bases to determine a successful hit. A critical hit maybe but that is unappealing even on high threat weapons.

Still I would like to remain focused on severing limbs not called shots. If you would like to talk about called shots please start a new thread and I will add my advise.:smallsmile:

grimbold
2010-07-06, 06:21 PM
thank you for answering my questions,
but to clarify for my question about ac i meant that it should have a higher ac because it is harder to hack through :). Can you answer the question that way plz? thanks
grimbold

Aeolius
2010-07-06, 06:41 PM
WIN :smallbiggrin:

Not without a proper monster:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/ac4a_dismember_me_plush_zombie_apart.jpg

Vaynor
2010-07-06, 06:56 PM

>.>

<.<

I have one of those.

Omegas
2010-07-06, 10:00 PM
thank you for answering my questions,
but to clarify for my question about ac i meant that it should have a higher ac because it is harder to hack through :). Can you answer the question that way plz? thanks
grimbold

Ok I reworded post #1 to include information form other forums. A method of targeting the head has been determined and tested to workout.

To answer you question. I refereed to full plate in post one - please look at "limb AC" Also keep in mind I don't have to cleave it off. Chain mail can survive the strike while your arms does not. It simply dangles in the sleeve dead. Severing does not necessary mean completely removed. It can mean damaged enough not to heal.

The point is AC determines weather or not hitting succeeds to do damage. When you score a hit it does not mean you cleaved through the armor. It means you nailed an exposed area. If you missed then the armor absorbed/deflected the blow or the target dodged out of the way. If armor took damage with every hit that damaged you then you would have to track AC hp. Keep in mind every armor has chink points even full plate.

Omegas
2010-07-06, 10:03 PM
I would like some experienced point of views. Please try this as listed in post #1 and let me know if you encounter problems.

imp_fireball
2010-07-06, 11:23 PM
Like all Aoo you can use a few tricks to avoid the sunder altogether. Sunder is the best choice as it is striking a specific part of the target. You can not disarm the targets arm.

The disarm check is to see if you hit the opponent's arm (because the opponent can easily just parry away the attack, unlike a regular attack that attempts to hurt the opponent wherever there is an opening). The actual damage is the DC for the fort save. Fort save is not AC for this variant. It's for mitigating the effects.

It's also a good idea since helps make called shots/sundering (whatever you wanna call it) not something that is always more feasible then simply attacking the entire enemy.

Keep in mind every armor has chink points even full plate.

Some GMs rule that armor eventually gets damaged after sustaining enough hits from high damaging attacks. Say an attack isn't meant to be accurate at all, like power attack or fireball. Those sorts of things can warp armor. But it's all GM discretion, really - something I wouldn't concern myself with.

As far as opposing the check = Disarm and Sunder are also 2 independent abilities. If you do not have improved sunder then you do oppose an "Aoo" (Attack of Opportunity)

It's not an actual disarm check - I said, it's like a disarm check (the rules for determining success are almost identical - except success results in something else besides the opponent losing a held weapon). Doesn't provoke AoO.

Also, the head is technically used as a weapon just as any arm is on unarmed strikes. Unarmed strikes can include any part of the body, thus even if your hands are occupied and your limbs are strapped down, you can still make an unarmed strike if your not helpless/listed as unable to attack or what have you. So the head is a weapon as much as the arms and legs are, when considering unarmed strikes.

Heck, you can even wear a spiked helmet and consider it a weapon equipped in your head slot (works like spiked gauntlets, I'd say). And this is all RAW, believe it or not.

It is possible to sever a leg. Honestly it should have more hit points and do more damaged from the wound but for mechanics it is best to keep it uniform, and it could be argued that it was severed at the knee.

Also, this is D&D and note that in real life, people almost never die instantly. It can minutes before someone dies from an untended lost limb. Most people in real life are levels 1, 2 or 3 with the exceptional and heroic figures of the real world rating up to level 6 (like, ie., Genghis Khan, who might have personally murdered thousands - that's a lot of XP from low CRs, I know).

jiriku
2010-07-07, 10:24 AM
A couple of concerns:

Recovering from a broken limb takes you out of adventuring for a month. Until you get access to regenerate. Then it's no big deal. You should add a lower-level version of regenerate that will instantly heal a disabled, but not smashed or severed, limb. Smoother transition and all.

It should be possible to apply the Heal skill to improve recovery times.

Requiring the target to be disarmed before you can attempt to sever a limb, and armless before you can attempt a decapitation, is an obvious metagame attempt to maintain balance. It's inelegant -- IRL, people can and do lose limbs in swordfights while holding a weapon in hand, and get their skulls bashed in while their arms are uninjured. And really, if you're coming after me with a claymore and I have a stiletto in my hand, there's no conceivable way that my dinky little knife is even going to protect my fingers from that sword, let along my arm.

The damage required to disable or sever a limb is ridiculously low compared to the damage that D&D characters deal. Dealing that kind of damage is trivial for any marginally competent character. You might want to consider doubling the thresholds from 1/8 and 1/4 up to 1/4 and 1/2.

grimbold
2010-07-08, 09:45 PM
jiriku is right- palytesting this ti was to easy to sever, this needs to be edited or else it can become overpowered have u playtested it omegas??

imp_fireball
2010-07-08, 10:38 PM
If you wish, I'll edit your rules to my liking.

Method First the targets equipped weapon / shield has to be dis-arm or sundered to destruction. Then the player can sunder the targets unequipped limb. Two handed weapons are equipped in both hands so the off hand is not considered unequipped.

Method The player can sunder the targets unequipped limb, but the target opposes this with an attack roll of their own (free action for opponent). If the player beats the opponent on this opposed check, then they may sunder the opponent's limb of their choice with the exception of legs and/or other 'body supporting limbs' (see below).

Flankers have a +6 bonus to their attack rolls to sunder opponents that they are flanking. Unaware opponents are not allowed an attack roll to oppose - instead they must make a reflex save at a DC equal to the attacker's roll.

Special: An attacker can deal damage to an additional limb after severing, breaking or disabling one. They must take a -8 penalty to their initial attack roll per additional limb they wish to sever.

Limb HP = A limb is disabled at 1/8 the targets max Hp and severed or broken at 1/4 the targets max HP (always rounded up). (Creatures with more limbs divide by more and modify for light weight limbs like wings).

Limb HP = A limb is disabled at 1/4 the target's max Hp and severed or broken at 1/2 target's max Hp (always round up). Add 1 to the denominator for more limbs (ie. a 3 limbed creature is severed or broken at 1/3 hp per limb and disabled at 1/5 hp) targets max HP. More fragile limbs such as wings are at GM discretion.

This ruling technically applies to every creature, but is tailored particularly to bipedal humanoid creatures (modify the rules accordingly for 'unusual' creatures and other creature types, unless specified otherwise).

Improved Unarmed Strike feat - Any character or foe with this feat modifies limb HP to be disabled at 1/4 and broken/severed at 1/2 max Hp.

'Improved Unarmed Strike' feat - Any character with this feat modifies their limb hp. All limbs now have +4 Hp.
Alternatively: Any foe with this feat can make a reflex save at DC equal to your attack roll to sunder them in order to avoid taking damage. This is a free action.

Track limb HP = HP per limb has to be tracked separately but every point of damage done to a limb is applied to the targets current HP. Tracking limb damage is only to determine the amount of damage the limb has sustained.

Tracking limb damage and Hp

HP per limb has to be tracked separately but damage applied to a limb does not apply to total hp. When a limb is disabled or broken, the victim must make a Fort save of DC equal to the damage that put it in this condition + 5 or take 1d4 temporary Con damage. When a limb is severed, the victim must make a Fort save of DC equal to the 3/4 of the limb's total hp + 5 or take 1d10 temporary Con damage.

If the Con damage is recovered naturally, then the amount of damage dealt to the limb now applies to the victim's total Hp.

Disabled = No grip, cant lift more then the limb, and cant preform gestures or simple skills. If need disabled arms and wings can still be failed in the way of an attack to the head.

Disabled = Fort save to avoid dropping held weapon or item equal to 1/2 damage dealt to limb. Take a -4 penalty on all checks involving that limb and -7 penalty on all checks involving only that limb.

Sundering a leg - A clear shot is needed. The target has to be unequipped on one side and they oppose a circumstantial attack of opportunity vs the target, that is not negated by the improved sunder feat.

If a leg is disabled then the target is prone or sitting and can only crawl
(Base land speed = 10 - with a crutch.) max run x2
(Base land speed = 20 - with a wood leg.) max run x3

Sundering a leg - A clear shot is needed. The target opposes their attacker by being granted a circumstantial attack of opportunity vs said attacker. This is not negated by the 'improved sunder' feat.

If a leg is disabled then the target must make a balance check (DC 20) or are sitting. A failure of 5 or more means they are prone - they may be sitting at this point, but the fact that it would take them longer to stand with one leg effectively makes them prone.

(Base land speed = 15 - with a crutch. Without a crutch, base land speed is 15.) Cannot run. Can run at x3 with 'Run' feat.
(Base land speed = 25 - with a wood leg.) Max run x3. Can run at x4 with 'Run' feat.

NOTE: Rules do not change if the leg is severed.

In the case of beast = only the limbs that provide a beast with a natural weapon can be targeted for sunder. Thus a wolf's legs can not be sundered. As head HP is = to current HP there is no point to sunder unless the PC wants to mount it on the wall. Natural attacks are reduced only by one in a full attacks.

GM discretion.

Reach In all case or examples a PC or foe can only sunder a body part they can reach. You can not sunder a dragons head if you stand only as tall as its toe nail.

If the limb happens to be at least one size smaller then the person attempting to sunder it, the person has a -4 penalty to attack, and an additional -4 penalty to attack per size category larger then one size category smaller then the person attempting to sunder it.

Omegas
2011-09-29, 09:01 PM
Ok after a year of practice and new information I have revised Post #1 of this thread. Please read over it and give me your input.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-01, 12:24 AM
You may also want to look at pathfinder's Ultimate Combat book and look at the rules they have for called shots.

Omegas
2011-10-02, 08:43 PM
I have but unfortunately the desired effect is not the same. Called shots are very simple which is nice but you cant justify a severed limb on such an easy strike. It would be no different then using flavor text. To get the desired effect several of the key points have to be addressed to maintain balance. It is easy justify it but when you toss in all of the effects that can be added to the battle soup, it does not work so well.