PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Templates

Zsaber0
2010-07-04, 11:38 PM
Can a template with no level adjustment and only a CR adjustment be given to a player character?

FMArthur
2010-07-04, 11:41 PM
As far as the rules go, you really can't; such templates are intended for DM encounter-building only. I wouldn't do it unless the CR adjustment was 0 or if I carefully read it and decided to give it an LA. It wouldn't be the same as the CR adjustment, before you try something like that.

Marriclay
2010-07-04, 11:42 PM
In short, yes. As long as the DM allows such a template, there should be no reason why a player shouldn't be able to take it without any meaningful adjustment that isn't provided in the description of the template itself, such as dragonborn. However, Dragonborn and Necropolitan are the only +0 La templates I know of, and I'm not sure if they adjust CR. I doubt it - each of the templates carry fallacies and bonuses each their own, on par with any other race
As far as the rules go, you really can't; such templates are intended for DM encounter-building only. I wouldn't do it unless the CR adjustment was 0 or if I carefully read it and decided to give it an LA. It wouldn't be the same as the CR adjustment, before you try something like that.And seeing this I realize you were asking for templates with Level Adjustment: -. No, this means that the players should not have the opportunity to play such a template, because it is not meant for them. It is a tool for the DM to make a more interesting encounter.

Zsaber0
2010-07-04, 11:50 PM
The template I'm wondering about it the Phantom from Monster Manual 5. it has some pretty sick abilities for a CR change of +1/+2. Though the text keeps talking about CR of the base creature affecting the abilities it gets, but I think it could be changed to Hit dice instead of CR.

Ok, Level adjustment of - is not playable, thank you.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-04, 11:51 PM
Amphibious (Stormwrack) is LA +0 if I remember correctly.

@Zsaber: Usually, no. But ask your DM. No rules are set in stone and the DM is allowed to change them at their fancy, especially for things both parties consider to be more fun.

Sindri
2010-07-05, 05:02 AM
The main problem with LA - templates for PCs is that it creates a lot of work for the GM in order to determine what the LA should be based on the CR. The Templates that are already intended for use by player range wildly in relationship between the CR and the LA; several are equal, other are +8 LA for a +2 CR. There are a lot of LA - templates that would make sense for a PC, but unless your GM encourages weird characters and is willing to houserule a LA for you, there just isn't a rule for it.

This is particularly annoying when you look at things like the Incarnate Construct template; it's -2 LA, but that's added to the adjustment from the construct type, so you can't make and Incarnate out of anything but a warforged because the normal constructs are all LA -.
Likewise, when you want to play an Awakened animal, or magic Ooze, or an epic level True Dragon, or any of a number of cool weird character concept that the writers never thought of, either you just can't or it creates a lot of extra work for the GM.