PDA

View Full Version : Charlemagne Edward Fromage

golem1972
2010-07-05, 12:41 AM
My group is rebuilding, and starting a new campaign (again). It seems like we've started more than half a dozen campaigns (and abandoned them) in the last year as players drop in and out.

But, enough of my whining. I'm looking at building a gestalt ToB character and would like a little help. My role will be Mobile Tank / Healer with a little skill monkey thrown in.

Unarmed Swordsage 20 // Crusader 5 / Ur-Priest 2 / Prestige Paladin 2 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 10 / ? 1 Yes, this is basically Chuck.

We will be using an adapted Ur-Priest (no alignment requirement, Spell Focus: Evil replaced by Skill Focus: Knowledge (Religion)), and a Vow of Poverty fix http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140428 . I think that's all of the non - RAW stuff we're using for this guy.

Mostly I'm having trouble picking stances and low level maneuvers. I will have 9th level maneuvers in 5 schools (+ the 3 to 5 prereq's for each maneuver) so I won't have much room for Tiger Claw or White Raven (Iron Heart is completely out).
Swordsage stances: 2 -1st level (Step of the Wind and Flames Blessing), 1 - 3rd level (Dance of the Spider), 1 -5th level (Step of the Dancing Moth), 1 - 6th level, 1 - 7th level, and 1 - 8th level (Balance on the Sky).
Crusader stances: 2 - 1st level (Martial Spirit and Bolstering Voice), 1 - 4th level, and 1 - 7th level.

The problem is that there aren't any stances at some of those levels, or even a level lower.

Maneuvers:
Swordsage 1: Burning Blade, Moment of the Perfect Mind, Counter Charge, Shadow Blade, Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike. Stance: Step of the Wind.
SS 2: Mighty Throw. Stance: Flames Blessing.
Crusader 1: Crusaders Strike, Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones, Leading the Attack, Vangaurd Strike. Stance: Martial Spirit.
C 2: Stance: Bolstering Voice.

Not exactly the best, but was working from level 20 down and got a little unfocused.

Morph Bark
2010-07-05, 04:30 AM
Wait, you're planning on throwing Vow of Poverty on top of that build? :smallconfused:

Aside from that, I don't think it is a good idea to take two initiator classes. As said in another thread (on the first page here!), in Gestalt you'll generally want one "active" side (consuming your actions) and one "passive" (which simply boosts you). You can still only use one maneuver per round, after all.

"Active" classes include the ToB classes and most melee ones, as well as a lot of spellcasters, depending on how you play them. Gish base classes like the Duskblade and Hexblade also fall here.*

"Passive" classes include the incarnum classes, the binder, as well as spellcasters if you have them focus on buffing or healing (out of combat of course). Dragon Shamans, Marshals and Bards and other party-boosters are also good ones. Skillmonkeys can also fit in here as you generally don't use a lot of skills in combat, and if you do you can have it mesh well with your other class (a rogue or scout mixed with a warblade for instance, due to warblade Int-based class abilities and boosting his skills to use for maneuvers).*

*Note that this is just my opinion and others may disagree about where which classes should go. The binder for instance has some supernatural stuff he could use during actions, but many vestiges still offer passive boosts that could work well in combination with an active class.