PDA

View Full Version : Movie buffs needed

larnman2
2010-07-05, 01:22 AM
I'm looking for a movie I saw three years ago and I can't remember the name. The bad part is that it's a Canadian independent film with no major actors. but anyone who has seen the movie would actually know what movie I'm talking about. the question is : Is there a place online to get help finding obscure movies you saw once and can totally remember the whole plot, but nothing else?

Sneak
2010-07-05, 01:25 AM
Yahoo Answers. Wiki answers. Any forum you want. Here. Take your pick.

Why don't you describe the plot so we can maybe help you out?

larnman2
2010-07-05, 01:53 AM
A criminal psychiatrist realizes her brain tumor is getting larger. She decides to reveal the news to her husband, so she visits him in their cabin in the woods, where he is compiling a book with the therapists sister. One of her old patients shows up with his boyfriend and decides to torture them to get back at the psychiatrist for using him as a drug guinea pig. The drug she takes causes heavy hallucinations, which makes it difficult to know what is real and what isn't.

I swear it makes sense when you see it.

Starscream
2010-07-05, 02:10 AM
That Site That Must Not Be Linked To Lest It Consume Your Remaining Days has a handy page called "You Know That Show" which is precisely for this sort of thing.

They helped me find an extremely obscure show after The Playground was unable to help (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132218).

Whoracle
2010-07-05, 03:57 AM
You're looking for The Dark Hours (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402249/), I think.

I happen to know that flick, but a quick google for "cabin tumor" (first hit) would have sufficed... Google-Fu really IS a skill nowadays :smallbiggrin:

larnman2
2010-07-05, 11:12 AM
That's totally it! thank you!

Lawless III
2010-07-06, 04:26 AM
Since that mystery was solved, I would like to present my own. (I hope that's ok:smallbiggrin:) I have tried google fu, wikipedia, tvtropes, you name it. No luck. It's driving me insane.

It's about a prince (or some sort of royalty) with an adviser who may have been his uncle running everything for him. The boy is kept totally in the dark while the adviser oppresses the people. Something causes the boy to have to leave home. He meets up with some sort of dragon or loch ness monster or something, befriends some peasants and quite possibly tries to take back the throne.

The uncle, at some point, kidnaps a girl who was most likely the main characters love interest. She unwittingly reveals the dragon thingy's weakness. Which as near I remember (saw this nearly a decade ago) was... salt water.

My internet powers have failed me. Please help!

Amiel
2010-07-06, 04:31 AM
Is this Dragonheart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonheart) by any chance?

I'll continue my search.

Lawless III
2010-07-06, 04:55 AM
I don't believe it is. Perhaps I'm terribly misremembering the movie, but I remember the dragon starting out very small. I recall now a scene where the prince put a shawl over it and claimed it was his little sister or some other nonsense.

Thanks though.

dehro
2010-07-06, 06:05 AM
I don't believe it is. Perhaps I'm terribly misremembering the movie, but I remember the dragon starting out very small. I recall now a scene where the prince put a shawl over it and claimed it was his little sister or some other nonsense.

Thanks though.

sounds like a straight to tv thing... any other info you can share? looks of the main character? setting? (oriental-ish, classic medieval, fantasy...) age of the character...probable age target for the movie? was the dragon cgi? was it a puppet?

Lawless III
2010-07-06, 06:13 AM
I'm really hazy on the details unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it was more of a mid evil fantasy type and given the time frame I'm giving this (around ten years ago) I'd imagine the dragon would have to have been a puppet or some kind of stop action, but I really just don't remember that well.

I've given pretty much all the info I can think of. I really searched every way I could think of. I even read through an entire list of dragon movies made in the last twenty years. At this point I'm hoping that someone knows a superior way to search for this sort of thing, or maybe someone who knows what I'm talking about will stumble upon this.

dehro
2010-07-06, 08:50 AM
would this be it? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113141/)

Lawless III
2010-07-09, 01:43 AM
This is totally it. Thank you!:smallbiggrin:

dehro
2010-07-09, 07:17 AM
I HAZ GOOGLE-FU!

http://www.stagueve.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/kungfu-cat.jpg

Lawless III
2010-07-10, 06:02 AM
Your google-fu far surpasses mine. How did you go about finding it?

dehro
2010-07-10, 07:48 AM
Your google-fu far surpasses mine. How did you go about finding it?
I had a little time on my hands..which sometimes is the essential ingredient of successfull searches
tried googling the right keywords, but I came up empty, whereupon I consulted imdb directly, and it's search engine..
searching for dragon, and possibly another keyword or two..I don't really remember.. didn't find it, but I did find that there's a list of "latest fantasy films" or something alike... and I went back to approx the date you gave for when you'd seen the movie.
browsed the list, and there it was

Rawhide
2010-07-10, 07:55 AM
Movie buffs are all well and good, but you should try combining them with some movie de-buffs to weaken your opponent movies.

P.S. Awesome cat picture. Needs caption.

Flame of Anor
2010-07-12, 10:00 AM
Oh, here's one that maybe you can help out with. There's this farm kid, Deke something, and his house gets blowed up by soldiers of the Stellar Tyranny. So that guy from Bridge on the River Kwai goes and takes him to find Indiana Jones and a large monkey, and together they go and destroy the Stellar Tyranny's "Killstar" or something, though not before it vaporizes some alderman. Anyone remember that one?

KuReshtin
2010-07-12, 10:44 AM
Oh, here's one that maybe you can help out with. There's this farm kid, Deke something, and his house gets blowed up by soldiers of the Stellar Tyranny. So that guy from Bridge on the River Kwai goes and takes him to find Indiana Jones and a large monkey, and together they go and destroy the Stellar Tyranny's "Killstar" or something, though not before it vaporizes some alderman. Anyone remember that one?

I believe I saw that one. Can't remember the name of it, though.
'Battle of the Worlds'? 'Stellar Conflict'?
There was a talking pizza at some point, wasn't there? Or was that in a later movie on the same topic? I do remember some guy with a terrible case of asthma or bronchitis, though.

dehro
2010-07-12, 01:04 PM

sounds like a mix between spaceballs and time bandits.
seriously need more elements (who's the guy from river kwai you mentioned?)..also..indiana jones???

leafman
2010-07-12, 02:22 PM
heh, nice one, I like that movie:smallbiggrin:
Star Wars :smallwink: