PDA

View Full Version : Fire Emblem's stats system in a tabletop RPG

Vitruviansquid
2010-07-05, 04:45 AM
Writing this more or less to sort out my own thoughts, but any comments is also appreciated.

I like Fire Emblem's stat system a lot because it's very complex and, at the same time, pretty elegant. What each stat does (aside from luck) is intuitive, as well as they way each stat interacts with each other, and each stat is truly unique (aside from luck >_>) in fulfilling a function that no other does. In writing a tabletop RPG, I want to use a system of stats much like it (rather than, say, DnD) because

A. There's no such thing as a useless stat. Every stat comes into play for every characterin every fight, unlike in DnD, where fighters never really need intelligence and wizards never really need strength.

B. The stats are conscious of themselves as a game. What I mean is that the stats are nothing more or less than fragments of a mathematical system, whereas in DnD, the stats are used for the math, but also play a role in the personalities of the characters. Imo, the Fire Emblem system in a game would allow players more flexibility in roleplaying because it doesn't restrict a player's conception of his character with game numbers.

C. It's more complex from a mechanical point of view. In DnD 4e, there is no differentiation between the accuracy of an attack and its damage, aside from the fact that you have to roll for both, by which I mean there's no attack that asks you to roll one stat for trying to hit and add another stat's multiplier for damage (though some abilities has you add 2 stat multipliers for damage). Seems weird to me to take for granted that a powerful hit is the same as an accurate hit in most places (I think it works this way because of what AC represents)

Of course, we run into problems if we tried to directly impose Fire Emblem's system on a tabletop RPG because it's designed for a strategy game.

A. Fire Emblem's system isn't and doesn't pretend to be fair in the context of an RPG. It's okay in a strategy game to have your myrmidon be too weak to do any damage against a knight or for your fighter to have a 0% chance to hit a myrmidon because it's an implicit failing of strategy on your part. In an RPG, it would be very frustrating to be told your character can never do damage because the enemy just happens to counter what your character can do.

B. Fire Emblem's system being purely concerned with battle is a double edged sword. In Fire Emblem, the only rolls that are ever made are to check for hitting and to check for critting. What, then, do we do about skill challenges? It's clear to me that Fire Emblem's stat system is also *not complicated enough* in its own way. It needs to be expanded or supplemented in order to hold its own as a complete system for RP. Of course, one of the main things that it lacks is it has no logic of balance. We take for granted that some characters in Fire Emblem will be better than others

So what do we do to adapt Fire Emblem's system into something suitable for a tabletop RPG without losing its strong points?

1. I've drawn up the statistics as the following:

Might - controls how much damage an attack deals, like Strength or Magic
Precision - controls how high you have to roll for an attack to land, like Skill
Resilience - controls how high you have to roll to break out of or resist status effects
Constitution - Multiplied by some number and then possibly added to an arbitrary number based on class to determine a character's hit points. I'm using Constitution in place of Defense.
Evasion - Controls how high enemies have to roll for attacks to land on you, a la Speed.
Class stat - Each class has a unique stat that does something extra for them, helping to differentiate them (which Fire Emblem is actually extremely weak on). This takes care of stuff from controlling the power of rider effects to acting like DnD's "class features."

Movement speed is set by class.

Of course, the first thing one might notice is I've thrown out Luck. Not only does it not do anything unique (besides crits, but I'm handling crits as natural 20's), it complicates calculations.

The second thing is that there's no Defense as damage reduction. Instead, its mirror stat, Constitution, will just add hp. Hopefully, this will negate the headache of high Precision/low Might characters doing almost no damage to high defense enemies and feeling ineffectual. Since this will be implemented, I don't see why double-attacking would be needed, either. However, I like Double-attacking as a punishment for trying "dump" a stat... perhaps I will look into penalizing characters in some other way for dumping Evasion and Might.

Third, most players don't want to roll dice to see if they level up a stat. Frankly, me neither. However, this is one of the cornerstones of the Fire Emblem system and the main (okay... only) thing that differentiates one character or class from another. For levelling stats, I've decided on a system where players point-buy their stats, but each stat costs more or less depending on their class. For instance, each person gets 6 points to spend on stats when they level up, but perhaps for his class, Might will cost 2 points to level up each time while Precision costs 4. I'm not so concerned about people min-maxing because every stat matters.

Now, I think this is a pretty good start, but in DnD, people cast magic and do martial exploits and such that isn't really modeled in Fire Emblem, where each character just attacks each other until one falls down. The same problem happens for accessing those magic/martial abilities - in DnD, they're tied to level, and your character feels stronger when he levels because you get new abilities, not just because you get bigger numbers to throw around. Frankly, I'm not sure how to best handle that.

I think, when dealing with spells and special abilities, it's important to keep the basic stats relevant. As long as a wizard is going to sling fireballs all the time, I don't see why we should have a whole separate stat controlling the power of fireballs over the power of swinging a sword. On the other hand, I do like how DnD 4e sometimes separates the stat used for damaging someone with a spell from the stat used for rider effects, letting players decide whether to concentrate on purely hitting people or to exploit their skills' advantages. This, of course, is where the class unique stats come in.

Draken
2010-07-05, 09:12 AM
TheSummoner already did the job of translating those rules into a comprehensive set, which is fairly easy to use in a tabletop or PbP game.

Here they are. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5871824&postcount=1)

There are a few such games running in the PbP section too.

Vitruviansquid
2010-07-05, 06:19 PM
TheSummoner already did the job of translating those rules into a comprehensive set, which is fairly easy to use in a tabletop or PbP game.

Here they are. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5871824&postcount=1)

There are a few such games running in the PbP section too.

All this does is directly impose FE's system on an RPG game, failing to resolve any of the problems I've pointed out.

Prime32
2010-07-05, 06:38 PM
For the "myrmidons can't hurt knights" thing, try scaling up the hp and damage, or make Def reduce damage by a percentage instead of a fixed amount.

There's the issue that Fire Emblem's Con score actually represents size.

How many other strategy RPGs have you played? SRW's Spirit mechanic lets you hit super-fast guys and hurt super-tough guys when you really need to.

ZeltArruin
2010-07-06, 08:27 AM
One of the things that would bother me is rolling d20 rather than the d% that fire emblem always uses. Now, it would be possible to round to the nearest 5% and just use the d20, but given how fire emblem works, that would be a little clunky regarding crit chance and evasion and so on.

I agree that random stat increases will be too much for most players, but you could use a fixed growth system, like they had in fire emblem 9, this is far better explained over at serenes forest.

While I understand where you are coming from with hp instead of defence, I feel that will leave a great deal to be desired, as there is the resilience stat that helps with resisting magical effects, most likely. So if you are facing a mage and have a high hp(defence) stat, then you have a bonus there that you would not have in the basic game.

I feel like this is breaking away from the game in a big way, which may be what you desired, but it really loses the fire emblem feel to me.

As a way of balancing the fighter vs myrmidon issue, you could eliminate the weapon triangle and boost accuracy across the board, this way characters will hit more often, even axe users. In the case of myrmidon vs knight, set a minimum amount of damage that will be dealt on a hit, maybe weapon damage or a set number or just 1. I am not sure that this is a real issue, it encourages diverse parties and team work, the solo myrmidon might dodge every attack against them, but if they come up to someone they can't hurt that only has a 25% hit chance, they will eventually die without some support.

Felyndiira
2010-07-06, 09:04 AM
A. Fire Emblem's system isn't and doesn't pretend to be fair in the context of an RPG. It's okay in a strategy game to have your myrmidon be too weak to do any damage against a knight or for your fighter to have a 0% chance to hit a myrmidon because it's an implicit failing of strategy on your part. In an RPG, it would be very frustrating to be told your character can never do damage because the enemy just happens to counter what your character can do.
The myrmidon problem isn't actually that much of an issue; armorslayers and possibly rapiers are [presumably] buyable using WBL, and that doubles the myrmidon's base damage which WILL get past an armor's defense to deal damage. Barring that, even adding in a silver sword will boost a myrmidon's damage by enough points, so unless if you're putting slim swords on him for some reason, this will not be a problem.

There is a separate problem of adapting a SRPG's system to a tabletop, but that's a later topic.

Of course, the first thing one might notice is I've thrown out Luck. Not only does it not do anything unique (besides crits, but I'm handling crits as natural 20's), it complicates calculations.
My name is Fir, myrmidon in training and daughter of the demon swordsman, Karel. I have the same crit range as everyone else and thus can't really crit reliably - one of my supposed class features - and I have low strength. What. Also, assassins.

Criticals are powerful in Fire Emblem, which is why luck is such a core stat. Given how much HP a unit has, 3x damage on a Fimbulvetr is enough to completely seize victory over that armored knight sitting in the castle. Criticals doesn't just distinguish swordmasters and assassins from other classes; it can be a decisive difference between a pair of pegasus knights (Florina vs. Fiora), decide between a stronger versus a more skilled swordsman (Rutger vs. Fir - the only reason I used Fir over Rutger is because she crits more often with a killing edge), and adds a lot of flavoring to a character as a jack of all trades stat. FE's system is already simple enough; I don't think it's necessary to ditch one of its core stats in exchange for a small simplification.

The second thing is that there's no Defense as damage reduction. Instead, its mirror stat, Constitution, will just add hp. Hopefully, this will negate the headache of high Precision/low Might characters doing almost no damage to high defense enemies and feeling ineffectual. Since this will be implemented, I don't see why double-attacking would be needed, either. However, I like Double-attacking as a punishment for trying "dump" a stat... perhaps I will look into penalizing characters in some other way for dumping Evasion and Might.
This adds another headache, actually - that of the knight's balance against (A) a magic class and (B) a class with enough power to punch through its defenses, like a good STR mercenary.

Now, a knight is meant to be a tank; it is weak against magic, but has good HP growth and is thus able to weather a mage's attacks and still be standing in the end. Let's assume two scenarios - that you're buffing the armor's average HP by a lot in compensation, or not by that much. In the first case, the fact that you're buffing the armor's HP undermines magic classes; they now have the exact same effectiveness against any unit compared to a myrmidon, and honestly - why would you use magic against that armor instead of a good cavalier/social knight with a shortspear given the circumstances? In the second case, the knight has suddenly lost its place as a defense class; high STR, high SKL mercenaries now make short work of the knight with a good iron/silver blade or two, as do most cavaliers. Mages will still be effective, of course, but so will every other class in the game; thus, why play an armored knight instead of that higher skill, higher speed, can actually dodge worth something mercenary?

Either way, it's still not the only thing that makes FE unbalanced in a small-scale setting. If I tossed an anima mage with Fire against a shaman with Flux, I can bet that the anima mage will come out as the loser. To make up for this, you'll have to nix the triangle, nix flux's naturally high magic power, and basically turn the entire system into something that doesn't really resemble Fire Emblem at all.

And in the end, you still only fixed the dump stats problem, Characters will still run builds that die easily (since FE is that kind of game) because they invested a lot into speed, and that lucky crit from the high-STR enemy just happened to set in.