PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an option (3.5)

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-05, 08:43 AM
I'll keep this short. I'm making a druid and want to cut down on book keeping without sacrificing too much power. I need a decent variant for swapping out the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Natures Ally spells that won't also cost me my Animal companion. A druid and a Pet is enough for me to keep track of, but I don't want to harm my usefulness to the party too much.

Thanks in advanced :smallsmile:

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 08:47 AM
There's the ability to sacrifice a spell for mass-healing in PHBII, which replaces the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Nature's Ally. IIRC, it makes you & all allies heal 3 damage per spell level.

Depending on other forms of healing that are available to the party, this may or may not meet the criteria of 'decent'. :smallsmile:

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-05, 09:14 AM
Ah. That was the only one I was able to find. I don't really feel that the fast healing it grants is effective enough. Anyone try this? Is it better than it looks?

Rothen
2010-07-05, 09:23 AM
I'll keep this short. I'm making a druid and want to cut down on book keeping without sacrificing too much power. I need a decent variant for swapping out the ability to spontaneously cast Summon Natures Ally.

I don't understand how these two things are related. Is the ability to cast something spontaneously a lot of bookkeeping for you?

It's hard to help if I don't know what you want.

Friend Computer
2010-07-05, 09:53 AM
I don't understand how these two things are related. Is the ability to cast something spontaneously a lot of bookkeeping for you?

The summoned creatures are the bookkeeping. The OP wants something which replaces the spontaneous summoning because the summoning isn't wanted.

@OP: Would the DM let you spontaneously cast healing like a good cleric? Is that something you'd even like?

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-05, 09:56 AM
The summoned creatures are the bookkeeping. The OP wants something which replaces the spontaneous summoning because the summoning isn't wanted.

@OP: Would the DM let you spontaneously cast healing like a good cleric? Is that something you'd even like?

Hmm... I think I'll ask about that. It'd serve the party better than throwing badgers around.

Ingus
2010-07-05, 09:58 AM

Yes it is. He probably wants to avoid a huge block of monsters, so no summons.

To answer the original question, if you don't want to use cures for spontaneous casting, then you probably better stick with actual rules and never summon. Slimple and fun

Greenish
2010-07-05, 09:58 AM
@OP: Would the DM let you spontaneously cast healing like a good cleric? Is that something you'd even like?Don't Fangshield Druid substitution levels give that?

[Edit]: Nope, but Exemplars of Evil has Spontaneous Affliction variant.