PDA

View Full Version : space station 13- NOOOO TOO MUCH OXYGEN AGH!!!!!

Gamerlord
2010-07-05, 08:45 AM
This is the thread for space station 13, a fun little online game which is not very simple:
*You are on a space station
*You are one of several crewmen
*All of you have a job, ranging from clown,assistant, scientist,detective, and so on and so forth.
*Sometimes there is a secret agent for a criminal organization, a traitor that has a special objective.

Now in theory, this would be a nice,civil, game where everyone roleplays and plays nice, except for the traitor who wreaks havoc. In practice, a swarm of griefers will plague every server, and curse words shall be flinged. This does not stop the SHEER AWESOME of playing. Also, the game is quite complicated, and the only wiki that supplies plenty of information is maintained by SA goons, and it is designed with the SA server houserules in mind.

Anyway, is there any way to escape the restraining beds in the brig?

xp194
2010-07-05, 08:48 AM
Oh gods. This game can get really freaking tense. I kinda stopped playing, after my character (a security officer) was kidnapped, locked in a room and basically tortured by a madman. No radio, no nothing. Left behind when the call to evac the station came, half dead and swimming in and out of consciousness.

the Bay12 games server looks slightly less... GREIFERFULL though. roleplaying is enforced there.

Gamerlord
2010-07-05, 08:51 AM
the Bay12 games server looks slightly less... GREIFERFULL though. roleplaying is enforced there.

Where can I find them?

xp194
2010-07-05, 08:51 AM
Where can I find them?

Server info's in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60110.0

Gamerlord
2010-07-05, 10:02 AM
Server info's in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60110.0
So, wait, I just paste the IP into my website-connector-to thingamajig, and I connect? Anyway, my username is gamerlord2, let me know if I killed any of you.

Dragero
2010-07-05, 06:22 PM
Been wanting to try this for a while. I read 75% of the wiki, so I think I`m ready. Username is Drager0.

Any tips for a noob? (I`ve resd you can stuff people in lockers, then weld`em shut. Is this true?)

KBF
2010-07-05, 06:49 PM
Space Station 13.. the BYOND game? I never tried SS13 seriously, seemed kind of.. Hard to learn, elitist and at the same time really, really dumb? I check in with Byond every now and then and was even going to see if I could come up with a contribution (hopefully something that had some actual game design, unlike most BYOND projects) but I gave up on anything amazing or particularly fun coming out of it when I realized how resource intensive it was for such simple code, on both client and server sides.

Sorry if this comes off as rude. BYOND seems like a decent idea horrendously executed, and I have a hard time playing the few good games (like SS13 might be, dunno) because of it. I've noticed primarily turn based games seem to work pretty well on it, though and sometimes try those out.

Gamerlord
2010-07-05, 07:41 PM
Been wanting to try this for a while. I read 75% of the wiki, so I think I`m ready. Username is Drager0.

Any tips for a noob? (I`ve resd you can stuff people in lockers, then weld`em shut. Is this true?)

Yes, it is true.

Prime tip: TRUST.NO.ONE. And stay away from toxins, genetics, and pretty much any form of science. And don't play AI until you become a pro, the entire station's lives depends on you, and as a newbie you WILL mess up.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-05, 07:45 PM
Hmm, this game is turning up all over, isn't it.

I've been looking into prodding the host of the server I poke at bits of code for to turn the server back online, if/when this happens, I'll be sure to share the connection info.

Gamerlord
2010-07-06, 12:53 PM
So everyone, what do you think is your favorite job.

I vote chemist, not too hard, and plenty of stuff to do, you can build bombs, experiment, or force feed assistants pills that you have no idea what they do.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-06, 12:54 PM
I see. I heard that blowing up the lab is almost a certain occurance in every game. Is that right?

xp194
2010-07-06, 12:54 PM
Assistant. Generally unimportant enough that no traitor's going to try and take you down unless you witness them doing something.

edit:
I see. I heard that blowing up the lab is almost a certain occurance in every game. Is that right?

Yep. It's not a game of SS13 without the Toxins Lab exploding epically.

Gamerlord
2010-07-06, 01:01 PM

Yeah, it gets to the point where whenever I play captain, I bring the chemists to security for a chat on safety.It will always either blows up, or become filled with some kind of toxic chemical.

xp194
2010-07-06, 01:16 PM
Yeah, it gets to the point where whenever I play captain, I bring the chemists to security for a chat on safety.It will always either blows up, or become filled with some kind of toxic chemical.

Yeh. On the first time playing, it's all "ARGH OMG TOXINS JUST WENT EXPLODE!"

By the third game, it's more: "Oh. Toxins exploded. Again."

After that, it's pretty much a fact of onboard station life.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-06, 01:17 PM
How about a security guard that shoots anyone coming close to the Toxin lab?

For "security" reason

xp194
2010-07-06, 01:20 PM
If Neophyte gets his server, I'd like to suggest we run a game of extended, just to see how long we can keep the station functional.

It could well be hilariously short.

Dragero
2010-07-06, 01:57 PM
Haha, yeah realy.

Hey what happens if I put this here? .....OH GOD!! THE AIR!!! IT BURNS MY LUNGSS!!!!!! GAGDWEUFGYQRWEUOGREUWQ;FHQFRJEMKGNHUEARV

Gamerlord
2010-07-06, 02:28 PM
How about a security guard that shoots anyone coming close to the Toxin lab?

For "security" reason

Haven't run into that yet, but I have run into captains who outlaw anything toxins-related.

If Neophyte gets his server, I'd like to suggest we run a game of extended, just to see how long we can keep the station functional.

It could well be hilariously short.
I second this. Perhaps we should also make someone an admin with the sole goal of dooming the station to a horrible end.

chiasaur11
2010-07-06, 02:38 PM
I really shouldn't play this. I know how it would go.

I'd make a security officer. I would start at Judge Dredd level.

Then someone would tick me off, one thing would lead to another, and I'd reach full on Judge Death level "LIFE ITSELF IS A CRIME!"

And then, whoops. Either I get facepunched to death, or I succeed and die when the station breaks down.

Either way, I will ponder my own stupidity.

Coidzor
2010-07-06, 02:45 PM
Sounds like Dwarven Science AND FUN all in one airtight package. :smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-06, 03:31 PM
Playing around on the /tg/ server currently, had some fun as a traitor roboticist. Made a medibot named Healski, then emagged him so he runs around injecting people with harmful chemicals. I then gave Officer Beepski the securitron a similar treatment.

Fun times, even managed to win, despite the security guard whose brain I threw in the disposal unit getting revived and finding me after the shuttle was called.

xp194
2010-07-06, 03:50 PM
You know what's FUN?

traitorous Atmosphere techies putting laughing gas in the system

que everyone giggling uncontrollably and passing out frequently.

Driderman
2010-07-06, 04:23 PM
I played this a while back, on the goon servers I believe.
It was clunky, but very fun.
The game is HARD though, not only is your only way of learning how things work a deadly trial and error method, the game itself is so horribly programmed you have to account for a slight delay in every action you try to execute.
Took me a while before I figured that one out.

I usually play security, doctor, janitor or assistant, I know enough to go around but not enough to do the really important jobs.

I'd be up for playing again if the GITP'ers are making a server

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-06, 04:57 PM
the game itself is so horribly programmed you have to account for a slight delay in every action you try to execute.
Took me a while before I figured that one out.

The goons recently optimized the atmospherics code, as long as you're not trying to run the server on a toaster or something, it's a lot more responsive now.

xp194
2010-07-07, 10:02 AM
Yeh.

Atmospherics is another one to go up, fairly frequently. You don't want to be operating in hard vacuum, I can tell you that.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-07, 10:11 AM
The goons recently optimized the atmospherics code, as long as you're not trying to run the server on a toaster or something, it's a lot more responsive now.

I have a hard time trusting anything made by the goons. If anything, I got the feeling it'll make my computer explode in 5 years.

That'll be their style.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-07, 01:40 PM
I have a hard time trusting anything made by the goons. If anything, I got the feeling it'll make my computer explode in 5 years.

That'll be their style.

Not all goons are terrible. For example: the ones that were all cool and released a copy of their /dev branch a while back, that didn't include all the stupid gimmick stuff that got added (poo being the most prominent example).

Eldan
2010-07-07, 01:57 PM
Sounds pretty cool from what I've read here and on TVtropes. Is it free?

Gamerlord
2010-07-07, 03:28 PM

Yuppers. :smallbiggrin:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-07, 03:37 PM

Money-wise, yes.
Soul-wise? Not so much

Eldan
2010-07-07, 03:53 PM
That's a problem. I've no soul left to spare :smallamused:

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-07, 03:55 PM
That's a problem. I've no soul left to spare :smallamused:

My boss would say: Collect on your I.O.U.s

Wait, I said my boss? I meant my business associate.

Eldan
2010-07-07, 06:23 PM
Weird interface. Can't even find out how to pick up items, apparently.

Gamerlord
2010-07-07, 06:28 PM
Weird interface. Can't even find out how to pick up items, apparently.

Interface can be weird at first.

How to pick up items: Select and empty hand, and left click ONCE on it. To equip something, make sure the right hand is selected, then left click on the slot once. To unequip something, select an empty hand and left click on the item slot for that item.

Eldan
2010-07-07, 06:36 PM
Aha.

How do I get something out of my backpack? I know I somehow put items in it, but I can't seem to find out how to get them back from there.
Also, I'm holding a toolbox. How do I open it? And how do you use items?

Gamerlord
2010-07-07, 06:45 PM
Aha.

How do I get something out of my backpack? I know I somehow put items in it, but I can't seem to find out how to get them back from there.
Also, I'm holding a toolbox. How do I open it? And how do you use items?

You left click on the toolbox/backpack, you use an item in different ways. For consoles and stuff you click on them with an empty hand, for your PDA and other stuff in your hands usually you unequip it then left click on it, selecting the hand it is in. Sometimes you can access scanners with your PDA, to use a scanner use the hand with the PDA in it and left click on what you want to scan. Anymore questions?

Eldan
2010-07-08, 03:15 AM
Strange, I tried left-clicking. Didn't seem to work. Oh well, I'll try again tonight.

cloneof
2010-07-08, 08:34 AM
I have actually wanted to try this game for years eversense I heard stories about mutated monkeys. However, I seem to always confuse myself over the difficult interface to a point where I start making real mutated monkeys.

Any good start up guides that people can recommand? I have read few, but those that my friends have recommandet actually require to have understanding of the game.... Wich is quite odd when you think about it.

Eldan
2010-07-08, 03:47 PM
Hmm. The constant lag is annoying, but I think I have the basics down.

Next question: how do I use the headset?

Edit: and how do I use items again? Left clicking seemed to lead to "You hit the airlock with the multitool".

Gamerlord
2010-07-08, 05:38 PM
Hmm. The constant lag is annoying, but I think I have the basics down.

Next question: how do I use the headset?

Edit: and how do I use items again? Left clicking seemed to lead to "You hit the airlock with the multitool".

Headset questione: When you "Say" something add a ";" to it.

Example: say "; Hi my names bob!" I think you need to do something different for special secret communication. Not sure though.

Items: You need an empty hand to access stuff like consoles. I have no experience with the multitool, so I cannot comment.

Eldan
2010-07-08, 05:39 PM
Well, the multitool specifically mentioned it would work on airlocks, but apparently it didn't.

Gamerlord
2010-07-08, 05:42 PM
Well, the multitool specifically mentioned it would work on airlocks, but apparently it didn't.

Maybe you need to click on the multitool first, like the welder?

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-08, 05:44 PM

You need to open the airlock's wiring panel with a screwdriver first.

Eldan
2010-07-09, 02:22 AM
Had my first game where I knew at least a little of what I'm doing, even if it ended less than gloriously.

I was an assistant. After wandering around aimlessly for a while and trying to get the layout of the station down, one of the three station doctors randomly attacked me with is bare hands. I knocked him out with a wrench to the face. Repeatedly, then stole his ID. Managed to convince security that it was self defense, so they took him away and chained him up.

Later, I had a backpack full of tools, including an oxygen tank and fire suit. Which came in handy. Three of us, me, another assistant (and newbie, even more than I was) and a doctor where in one of the larger rooms, when suddenly, the fire alarm goes off and we are locked in. No fire anywhere in sight, so we suspect sabotage. We can't get out, of course, and despite everyone yelling at the AI - both inside and outside the locked room - and a lot of hammering and using all kinds of tools on the locks and the alarm itself, the doors don't open.
After about five minutes of this, I get enough and use a welding tool on the wall, then me and the other assistant proceed to dismantle it. On the other side is a maintenance shaft, so we guessed we could get out.
Wrong. Both doors to the maintenance shaft are locked and refuse to open.
Suddenly, the doctor behind us screams, then stops. We go back and look: he lies on the floor, everything around him glows orange, fire is spreading. I don my fire suit, drag him in the maintenance shaft and we barricade the opening.
We now sit in the shaft, using all the tools we have on the doors and walls, trying to get out. There are some attempts to revive the doctor, which mostly come down to "Kaden Khan (random names are awesome) attacks the doctor in the head with the medkit."

Meanwhile, the intercoms and headsets start going wild:

"Attention! Fire in the bar! Fire in the bar!"
"Damn! Who of you idiots in atmospherics flooded the entire lab with toxins!"
and, of course:
"No! Aim for the head! All of you! Aim for the head!"
Then? Silence.

A minute later, the door to our little hideout opens, a guy wrapped in a kind of blue force field bursts in and guns both of us down, then strangles the unconscious doctor.

Traitor victory.

Comet
2010-07-09, 02:38 AM
*hilarity*

That does it. Soon as I'm done working I'm going to learn to play this game. It sounds like way too much fun.

cloneof
2010-07-09, 02:44 AM
Yeah me two! That finally convinced me. I'm going to learn to play this game no matter what!

Eldan
2010-07-09, 02:52 AM
If "after work" means "about 12 hours for now, I'll be online as well and can show you the basics, as far as I know them.

Comet
2010-07-09, 03:30 AM
If "after work" means "about 12 hours for now, I'll be online as well and can show you the basics, as far as I know them.

Sadly, I'm dragging a bit behind so it's going to be one of those long days. (which is why I should really quit browsing the internet and get back to it!)

Still, I'm pretty sure I can dig up some tutorials and find my way from there. Thanks for the offer, though.

Eldan
2010-07-09, 03:36 AM
Aah. I was also looking for players I know. So, not entirely selfless.

This was pretty helpful. (http://ss13.donglabs.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started)

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-09, 06:56 AM
That looks fun...

How long is the average game?

Eldan
2010-07-09, 06:57 AM
No idea. When I logged on, 20 other people were on as well, and I don't know how long it had been going. Then I played for 1.5 hours or so.

But I've seen admins come in and reset the game when the players thought it got boring. Like, when the only traitor is a newbie asking others how to open doors.

cloneof
2010-07-09, 09:33 AM
Oh god! This game is so much fun.

Before you know it, you are an security officer and almost immediatly the brig explodes, leaving you to find an intercom. Soon after that an zombie acopolypse starts and you and the others are fending for your lives.

An amazing game!

Eldan
2010-07-09, 09:38 AM
Intercom? Never used one. Did the headphones crash, or something?

I forgot: our game also had lab-monkeys running lose.

cloneof
2010-07-09, 11:46 AM
Yeah, my headset completely broke and as I didn't know what exactly caused the explosion, I just couldn't go to the storage and pick another one.

However, the more I play this game more I'm ashamed that it's working on a piece of sham that is BYOND engine. I would love this to be implemented in engines like Source.

xp194
2010-07-09, 12:29 PM
I did read that the original dev/devs were remaking the game in another engine.

However, I now cannot find the site, which was the Official SS13 site, wheree I read it. So most likely it's dead. Would love to see it happen in Source though. Shouldn't be overly difficult...

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-09, 12:31 PM
The Source engine wasn't made for a game like ss13. You want something designed with constructable/destructible terrain in mind.

Eldan
2010-07-09, 02:41 PM
Quick but cool:
I'm an engineer, fully equipped with suit, mask, tools everything.

Three engineers total. Someone drags a toxin tank (open) into engineering. Since we all have air masks, someone hits the fire alarm to contain it.

I was holding a welding torch. Burning. Apparently, toxins are explosive. All engineers dead, room on fire.

Edit: And meteorites hit the hallway leading to the escape shuttle.

Gamerlord
2010-07-09, 03:12 PM
Quick but cool:
I'm an engineer, fully equipped with suit, mask, tools everything.

Three engineers total. Someone drags a toxin tank (open) into engineering. Since we all have air masks, someone hits the fire alarm to contain it.

I was holding a welding torch. Burning. Apparently, toxins are explosive. All engineers dead, room on fire.

Was it plasma? Because apparently plasma can ignite very quickly and easily. I have had myself open up a tank of plasma, and suddenly in five seconds I am dead, turns out some idiot had sprayed toxins with something that can ignite plasma easily or something like that before I entered.

cloneof
2010-07-09, 03:26 PM
The Source engine wasn't made for a game like ss13. You want something designed with constructable/destructible terrain in mind.

Oh but on the contrary. Source physics would be more then enough for ss13 and Gmod has proven that quite awesome contraptions can be created, especially if they are pre-scripted contraptions.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-09, 03:52 PM
Oh but on the contrary. Source physics would be more then enough for ss13 and Gmod has proven that quite awesome contraptions can be created, especially if they are pre-scripted contraptions.

Just because something CAN be used doesn't mean that it SHOULD. While better than goldSrc for such things, Source is not an engine optimized for big open areas, and given the nature of .bsp maps, the 'map' would literally be a massive hollow box with an equally massive pile of 'contraptions' cobbled together to make a station, all of which will need to be destructible and repairable and modifiable, with wiring and lighting and piping for atmo and whatever else, while still managing to be playable. I simply don't see this happening.

xp194
2010-07-09, 05:15 PM
Well, one of the newest jobs the Goons added is Mailman. Basically, your job is to sit around, and wait for various packages to be sent in from pneumatic tubes, find out where they're headed and put them into another tube to deliver them.

Sounds exactly like my sort of job.

Eldan
2010-07-09, 05:46 PM
I was randomly assigned "Barber" as a job. Then one of my fellow barbers stabbed me in the groin with a pair of scissors and cut my throat with a razor.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-09, 07:08 PM
I don't seem to be able to play. BYOND just gets stuck on the "launching BYOND.World.###############" screen

Eldan
2010-07-10, 11:07 AM
Firewall problems, perhaps? I think that could happen then.

There's also two ways to sign in, either by starting byond first, then selecting a world, or gooing to the website and selecting a world there.

Eldan
2010-07-10, 01:40 PM
Okay, so... apparently some kind of cosmic catastrophe. Hallways collapsing, doors imploding, floors just vanishing into space, everything under vaccuum. Captain dead, no one else knows how to call the shuttle, everyone died. And we only played for about ten minutes, half of which was spent catastrophe-less.

Dragero
2010-07-10, 03:43 PM
I was randomly assigned "Barber" as a job. Then one of my fellow barbers stabbed me in the groin with a pair of scissors and cut my throat with a razor.

That was you....?Oh man....Small world after all. (I was trying to cut your *Dangly thing* off, but it didn't work, so I decided it would be best to put you out of your misery)

-------------

On another note:

A space station full of killer tomatoes is AWESOME!!!!!!!

------------

Noob question time:

How do you remove peoples clothing/items?

How do you call the shuttle?

Why is throwing drunks into the garbage disposal so fun?

Gamerlord
2010-07-10, 03:59 PM
Noob question time:

How do you remove peoples clothing/items?

How do you call the shuttle?

Why is throwing drunks into the garbage disposal so fun?

1.Click and drag unto yourself.
2.Only AI can
3.Who knows?

Dragero
2010-07-10, 04:21 PM
Oh and also...Where does the shuttle dock? I can never find it!!!

Eldan
2010-07-10, 04:24 PM
Assuming you use the same map I do... all the way to the right.

Here's a map of Devstation 13:
http://ss13.donglabs.com/images/5/53/Devstation-0313.png

Dragero
2010-07-10, 04:25 PM
Ohhh thats the shuttle. Thanks!

Eldan
2010-07-10, 04:50 PM
It's not on the map, actually, but you can see the four red airlocks where it should be. Just below the chapel.

chiasaur11
2010-07-10, 05:23 PM
Question. Do the sabateurs EVER lose?

Eldan
2010-07-10, 05:25 PM
Yeah.

Their objective is not to just kill everything. Usually, it's to kill one specific person and then escape alive.

So, first, they need to kill someone. Then wreak enough damage so the captain or AI orders evacuation, then get to the ship.
Just breaking walls and airlocks and decompressing the entire station? Rarely achieves that.

I've seen quite a few games lost, actually, even when there were three traitors.

The security is often very incompetent, though. I've seen three guards in armour with stun sticks, taser guns and sometimes real weapons running around doing nothing while the traitor or a griefer gleefully murders around, then takes them down.

Edit: And at least once, a traitor attacked me with his bare hands, in plain sight... so I bludgeoned him to death with the oxygen tank I was holding. It was an accident, actually, as I wanted to just knock him out.

Gamerlord
2010-07-10, 05:46 PM
There is something priceless about the reactions people have when they realize just how much that guy has messed with your laws as an AI. Then the screams of terror as their massacre begins.

Eldan
2010-07-10, 05:50 PM
How does being an AI work, exactly? I mean, how do you force a player to follow the laws?

Gamerlord
2010-07-10, 05:51 PM
How does being an AI work, exactly? I mean, how do you force a player to follow the laws?

Admins. ADMINS.

chiasaur11
2010-07-10, 06:29 PM

Deadly neurotoxins and the false promise of confectionery goods?

Eldan
2010-07-10, 06:31 PM
I mean the other way round. The AI is player controlled as well. But it has to follow certain laws, which the other players can change. Default are the laws of robotics from Aasimov.

I guess Admin-threat makes sense.

xp194
2010-07-10, 07:52 PM
What's fun to do with the AI:

Add a law 0 stating that the Captain or other important personages do not count as Human.

Then watch the AI player gleefully have fun with his new-found freedom.

Eldan
2010-07-11, 06:12 AM
:smallbiggrin: Sounds fun.
How exactly do you add new laws? Do you have to go to the computer core?

I've seen some weird laws in the few games I had:

a) Fourth Law: At every opportune moment, the AI must praise god and all his saints and prophets, and attempt to convert any crew members to the faith. Crew members resisting conversion do not count as human.

b) Fourth Law: Traitors are not human.

c) Fourth Law: Love the aliens. Protect the aliens. Aliens count as better humans.

Gamerlord
2010-07-11, 09:08 AM
:smallbiggrin: Sounds fun.
How exactly do you add new laws? Do you have to go to the computer core?

I've seen some weird laws in the few games I had:

a) Fourth Law: At every opportune moment, the AI must praise god and all his saints and prophets, and attempt to convert any crew members to the faith. Crew members resisting conversion do not count as human.

b) Fourth Law: Traitors are not human.

c) Fourth Law: Love the aliens. Protect the aliens. Aliens count as better humans.

In the AI upload, there are roughly four green upload items, if you hold one of these and with the hand with it in them click on the AI upload computer, you should have inputted the new law. Be careful though, there are FOUR turrets guarding the core, but the three laws prevent him from using them on you, of course, if his laws have been changed beforehand, he might not count you as a human at this point. This results in horrible turret death.

king.com
2010-07-13, 05:18 AM
After only a handful of games ive been shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, tasered, set on fire, turned into a monkey, frozen to death, asphyxiation, crushed into a cube, and vented into space. All the while just trying to fix a broken wire...

Eldan
2010-07-13, 05:26 AM
Yesterday, I actually got angry for the first time.

Situation? I'm an engineer. There are three of us, plus the head engineer, so we discuss that the other three worry about the engine (not much experience with that), while I get myself a meson scanner, tool belt and gas mask and walk around the station to check for damage.

Message comes in: "Huge toxin spill in the toxin lab."

I go there, it's locked down, but the computer let me in. Luckily, this being the toxin lab, there are four air scrubbers and a lot of pumps. I put my internals on and vent it all out.

The toxin guy, who was still there, tells me someone ran in, opened up all the toxin tanks and ran away again.

Two minutes later? "Toxin spill, again. Scrubbers are full, someone please send help."

I sigh, go in again. Start venting, doesn't help much, so I want to go out and get more scrubbers. The door isn't opening, the AI not replying.

Great. Door is locked, so Mr. Toxin can't get out either. I start hailing the AI and captain, basically anyone to let us out. No reply.

Then the toxin guy next to me goes "Hey, I have an idea!" Pulls out a welding tool, lights it.

I just have time to shout "NOOOO!" into the intercom before the room goes up.

Driderman
2010-07-13, 02:14 PM
If people are interested in less massive game than the big goon server, I usually play on German Outpost server. It has a lot less people, but its a quite good server and you're not so apt to be violated by random strangers as the population is smaller and therefore also the griefer percentage

Eldan
2010-07-13, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I pretty much only play on 20 man servers. A little fewer idiots on those, mostly.

xp194
2010-07-13, 02:25 PM
the most terrifiying random event?

Meteor Shower.

You can be happily working on keeping the atmosphere in check, for example, when there's a bang, the floor in front of you dissappears and you're suddenly without oxygen.

One time, we lost the engine to the storm. Cue most lights on the station going out, whilst engineering was frantically trying to get the prototype connected and working... and then another one broke the bridge they'd made. From the radio, I reckon they lost three guys from that alone.

You really don't want to be in space without a jetpack...

Eldan
2010-07-13, 02:28 PM
Yeah...
Normal gas tanks can't be used as improvised jetpacks, I think, since they close on their own in vacuum. I've tried fire extinguishers as well, didn't seem to work either.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-07-13, 02:50 PM
Yeah...
Normal gas tanks can't be used as improvised jetpacks, I think, since they close on their own in vacuum. I've tried fire extinguishers as well, didn't seem to work either.

does it mean that Wall-E lied to us? :smalleek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

chiasaur11
2010-07-13, 03:27 PM
does it mean that Wall-E lied to us? :smalleek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

No, it means that they use worse fire extinguishers on SS 13.

xp194
2010-07-13, 03:49 PM
No, it means that they use worse fire extinguishers on SS 13.

What're these fire extinguishers you speak of? I'm sure they do not exist on SS13. That or someone always nicks them (Sometimes me)

king.com
2010-07-13, 06:49 PM
We need a GiTP group setup so we can play together, i would be sooo much happier if the lone engineer i was working with to get the solar panels giving us power in the maintainenance shaft to not turn around and crowbar my face in.

Gamerlord
2010-07-13, 06:51 PM
We need a GiTP group setup so we can play together, i would be sooo much happier if the lone engineer i was working with to get the solar panels giving us power in the maintainenance shaft to not turn around and crowbar my face in.

Agreed, a giantitp group would be GLOURIOUS! Only thing we would need is enough people to keep the station running.

Dragero
2010-07-13, 07:06 PM
So.....couple engies?

king.com
2010-07-13, 07:35 PM
Yea, maybe a barman too.

Celesyne
2010-07-13, 07:42 PM
I'm currently in the process of learning this game, its extraordinarily confusing and hard, even with the wiki beginners guide. I tried to learn for about 3 hours, but after spending 98% of my time as an assistant be bludgeon/burned/shot/spaced to death while still trying to figure out the interface and controls, I ragequit. Any advice?

Gamerlord
2010-07-13, 08:56 PM
Yea, maybe a barman too.

If you guys are discussing a potential group layout, you guys have yourselves a capable AI/ not-so-capable chemist/ clueless atmos tech/newbie doc/ OK captain/Unskilled-but-knows-how-machine-works genectist/ good security guard.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-07-13, 09:06 PM
I can't decide if I want to play another game where I will get brutally crushed. This does look awfully tempting though.

flabort
2010-07-13, 09:14 PM
This game looks like a lot of fun.
Quite frankly, though, I have serious doubts that my computer could run it. after all, I'm still running '98...

When I first read you could "weld a locker shut with a person still inside it", I assumed it was a fully 3d sandbox game. Looking at the wiki, I'm dissapointed, but it still sounds really fun.

Perhaps someone could transfer engines, and then make it into a 3d game? and tidy up the HUD, while thier at it.

Not like I'm suggesting anyone here has the time or anything...

Driderman
2010-07-14, 03:39 AM
I can play pretty much anything, although my personal favourites are security, AI and doctor.
I am, if I say so myself, a very capable AI.

Maybe people should add their BYOND names to this thread so we can friend each other?

Eldan
2010-07-14, 03:43 AM
I've been playing as an engineer or security officer, mostly, even though I can't get the hang of fighting and screw up with most machines. Perhaps I'll try some kind of scientist next.

KBF
2010-07-14, 04:15 AM
Perhaps someone could transfer engines, and then make it into a 3d game? and tidy up the HUD, while thier at it.

Even on more average games, you can't just 'transfer engines'. Like.. Just.. Yeah, trust me. You can remake a game on another engine, if you felt like making a game. This game is not one that another engine would handle particularly easily anyway. I would like to see something similar made in Garry's Mod though.

...And why do you want it to be 3d if you're running 98? BYOND will run fine on your computer. It was developed even earlier than your OS.

Dragero
2010-07-14, 06:53 AM
Wait......how old is BYOND?

I`m an alright security, I have an idea of how genetics work, Captain doesn`t look to hard, and I`m OK as an engie. Also, Clown is fun.......

My username is Drager0, you`ll see my characters named Anusan.

Toric
2010-07-14, 08:25 PM
Usarname's Neldun. I lasted about 30 seconds in my first game, before I came across a traitor who killed me and ALMOST managed to be the only person on the escape shuttle.

Then I became a part of OMNIGHOST and the gestalt of dead people came close to crashing the server.

xp194
2010-07-15, 03:30 PM
Well, I'm downloading the latest release of the Code I could find. Hopefully I can try to get a small server running for us GITPers

xp194
2010-07-15, 08:17 PM
Oh, and sorry for DP, but I reckon this warrants it.

So, I was on Bay 12 server, playing some extended. I was a Doctor, a job I have no experience in.

Anyway, things went okay, until the random events started kicking in.

Portal Storm, then Meteor shower, then a few powercuts, etc

We began evaccing medical as the escape shuttle was called, due to the medbay taking a lot of damage. However, during the Evac, I was caught in a portal and teleported.

Outside the station.

Fortuneatly, I landed on one of the solar arrays, so I shoved on internals. This, however, didn't stop the extreme cold. Fortunately, I managed to get in through an air... to get stuck in a maintenence shaft. I was let out eventually, and literally ran to the escape shuttle dock, in time to help getting internals on those the accidents had left unconcious.

I survived, along with others, some thanks to me.

I think I can be proud of that. :smallcool:

(oh, and the meteors? Wiped out a room I'd been in seconds before. Talk about luck)

king.com
2010-07-15, 11:09 PM
Well, I'm downloading the latest release of the Code I could find. Hopefully I can try to get a small server running for us GITPers

Bless you good sir. Bless you.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-07-15, 11:14 PM
I'd definitely start to play if there was a GitP server.

Eldan
2010-07-16, 04:59 AM
I was just witness of a show of epic stupidity:

First, the engine's singularity broke free. We have no idea why, no engineer was down there at the moment, and the traitor was at the other end of the station.

All four engineers were sucked in when trying to repair it. The singularity then proceeded to eat the entire engineering wing, including solar sails, so the entire station had no power.

Cue annoyed messages of "where's the power, engineers?"

After about five minutes, the first guy opened up the airlock to engineering with a set of tools, was sucked into vacuum and died.

Two minutes later, someone else tried the same thing, and died.

In the end, five more people died, one by one, all trying to get into the (now gone) engineering, without space suits or internals.

king.com
2010-07-16, 05:19 AM
I was just witness of a show of epic stupidity:

First, the engine's singularity broke free. We have no idea why, no engineer was down there at the moment, and the traitor was at the other end of the station.

All four engineers were sucked in when trying to repair it. The singularity then proceeded to eat the entire engineering wing, including solar sails, so the entire station had no power.

Cue annoyed messages of "where's the power, engineers?"

After about five minutes, the first guy opened up the airlock to engineering with a set of tools, was sucked into vacuum and died.

Two minutes later, someone else tried the same thing, and died.

In the end, five more people died, one by one, all trying to get into the (now gone) engineering, without space suits or internals.

I believe i may have been one of the engineers who died while trying to deal with the sudden and unexplained loss of power.

xp194
2010-07-16, 05:25 AM
It happens. Even with everyone yelling "Don't go into Toxins/Engineering/Other section, it doesn't exist anymore!" There are still those who go "durrrrr wha?" and die.

Also, genetics looks relatively uncomplicated and life-savey. Might give that a go

Toric
2010-07-17, 12:58 AM
I learned something today. When attempting to remove a delicate electronic device that's overloading, grab a screwdriver along the way. Otherwise it will only end in tears and shrapnel.

Comet
2010-07-17, 02:07 PM
I've now survived my first adventure on Space Station 13. It was fairly exciting.

I was playing assistant. Playing an assistant is boring, though, so I thought I could sneak into EVA and nick myself a space suit. Come on, I had to try!

The bad news is that a syndicate bloke with a beam sword had been spotted near EVA minutes before I slipped in. As such, when I was walking out with my new space suit, somebody mistook me for an enemy and shot my face full of shotgun pain.

By some miracle I survived. Security had taken all my belongings, though, except for my ID. They did apologise later, but I still had to run to the lower end of the station, bleeding and naked, to patch myself up with a medkit from the storage and acquire a new jumpsuit.

Once that was done, fire alarms everywhere. Comms break into a hysteric storm of cries and capslock. Apparently nearly the whole station is in flames, with plenty of holes between me and the escape shuttle.

Somehow I manage to find my way to the other end of the station without internals or any protective wear. Then, though, came the kicker: nothing but space and ruined support structuring between me and the shuttle. Was this the end?

Heck no, as I found an emergency gas mask and a air-container abandoned not five metres away from me. I hastily put them on, learned to adjust the pressure on my oxygen and jumped out into the vacuum with nothing to protect me but a regular jumpsuit.

And I survived. I slipped, I nearly fell into the cold void, I nearly froze to death, but I made it to the shuttle. And then, as I was buckling down and taking off my mask in relief, somebody decides to trigger an explosive device on the seat next to me.

At least I got the "Ow, my balls!" medal. Success!

This really is an awesome game.

Penguinizer
2010-07-17, 02:42 PM
What servers do you play on? I just downloaded BYOND and want to get back into Space Station 13.

xp194
2010-07-17, 04:19 PM
I play mostly on Baystation 12. Less gimmicky stuff, less chance of greifers randomly killing you for no good reason.

Toric
2010-07-17, 07:50 PM
I play on Baystation 12 and the high-population GOON server. The latter is actually a very good place to experiment and learn things to take to the former, I find. Like how to escape after being wormholed into a wall.

Comet
2010-07-18, 03:44 PM
Baystation is nice and calm. The goon servers are hectic and hilarious. Let's do the time warp, everybody!

I also got my first go at playing captain. It was awesome, if a bit hectic. I spent practically all my time talking into the headset and tracking criminals and identity-stealing monkeys.

Then everybody died because of a singularity. Fun times.

Penguinizer
2010-07-18, 04:26 PM
So, I was trying to play but got nothing done. For one, how do I heat gasses? I am aware of how to build the detonator and the rest of the bomb though.

xp194
2010-07-18, 04:28 PM
Lobbing the gases in the engine might work...

Or cause it to explode. I'm not quite sure.

Penguinizer
2010-07-18, 04:30 PM
I still have no idea how half the stuff works in general but oh well. I just end up running around clueless until I either get killed or I give up.

xp194
2010-07-18, 04:47 PM
I still have no idea how half the stuff works in general but oh well. I just end up running around clueless until I either get killed or I give up.

If you want my advice, Baystation 12 is probably best for learning the ropes, due to lack of greifers and a slightly lesser tendancy to respond with "L0L NOOB" to questions such as "How do I shot jetpack?"

Although at present it's missing an Engine and Toxins Lab. Which does mean less Station shattering explosions and fire overall, although making it harder to learn Engineer.

Penguinizer
2010-07-18, 04:49 PM
I think the german stations are also missing those. I've heard that you can heat up gasses in the toxins gas mixing chamber though.

Myshlaevsky
2010-07-18, 09:47 PM
I started this about two weeks ago, and after about a week and a half of picking up the ropes mostly play as a traitor now. I'm not sure if that's seen as a good or bad thing, but I have a lot of fun with it and my first traitor victory two days ago really cemented the game as very enjoyable for me. The only disadvantage I've seen is that because I often play traitor I feel the need to change my tag quite often, which stops colleagues or comrades in the game recognising me as someone they worked with or who helped them before.

I'm kind of curious as to what job everyone on here favours. My personal first choice is Roboticist followed by Chemist followed by Quartermaster. I enjoyed Geneticist and Engineer early on but the former is too random to really focus on for me, and the latter is often a relentless uphill struggle. I've been staying away from the management level professions both because I'm still a little unsure of myself and because a lot of the time it really is easy mode for a traitor.

Toric
2010-07-19, 09:07 AM
Chaplain. Nobody sees you as a threat, you've got eccentricity tolerance like the Roboticist, you get to heal people by beating them with a bible, and you've got easy access to the mass driver. The only problem on the Goon server is that, due to your proximity to the escape dock, your HQ is usually one of the first structures to explode.