PDA

View Full Version : Nine levels of bard for this?

Joxer t' Mighty
2010-07-05, 09:28 AM
There's this feat called [{Scrubbed. Please don't link there.}]Music of the Outer Spheres[/url] in Lords of Madness.

I didn't look at it closely until now, just thinking you needed 9 levels period, and that even seemed bad, but 9 levels of pure BARD?

I can somewhat see you needing the 11 ranks in Perform, but also 9 levels of bard? No way in hades is that feat worth having to wait that long. You can slow, sicken or give a dodge bonus to aberrations only.

It's so specific, and the effects so weak would YOU take 9 levels of bard to get it?

Scorpina
2010-07-05, 09:30 AM
No, but that's not how I build characters, generally. I usually pick feats for my class, rather than the reverse.

If, however, I had a ninth-level bard and the campaign was aberration heavy (like, say, if the DM won't stop paging throguh Lords of Madness) I'd seriously consider taking it.

Rothen
2010-07-05, 09:35 AM
You never know when you're in a party full of elans...

El Dorado
2010-07-05, 09:54 AM
I can see a drow bard in an Underdark campaign taking this.

Greenish
2010-07-05, 09:54 AM
There's this feat called Music of the Outer Spheres (http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Music_of_the_Outer_Spheres) in Lords of Madness.

I didn't look at it closely until now, just thinking you needed 9 levels period, and that even seemed bad, but 9 levels of pure BARD?

I can somewhat see you needing the 11 ranks in Perform, but also 9 levels of bard? No way in hades is that feat worth having to wait that long. You can slow, sicken or give a dodge bonus to aberrations only.

It's so specific, and the effects so weak would YOU take 9 levels of bard to get it?The feat is a bit too specific in it's use for my tastes, so no, I wouldn't take it for my 9th level bard (unless, as has been mentioned, the campaign was very aberration-heavy).

But your objection seems to be the bard levels. They're good, man. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-07-05, 09:57 AM
Since you need 10 levels of Bard for Sublime Chord anyways...

(That is, barring high cheese)

Boci
2010-07-05, 09:59 AM
That is a good catch OP. How often do feats specify levels as prqs? Skills, other feats, class features yes, but level? It would be better if it had some bardic music ability as a preq. It would make it resemble the standard preq system more and possible make it available to more characters.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-05, 10:04 AM
Yeah man, why all the bard hate? This feat isn't very good, but bards are! Granted, I would probably PrC out at 6th most of the time, but a ton of good builds go to 8th and above.

Zaq
2010-07-05, 01:51 PM
I'd take nine levels of bard, but not for that feat.

Bad feats do exist, sad though it is. Bards are awesome, though.

Doodleface
2010-07-05, 03:14 PM
I'm playing a Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2 right now. The feat sucks, but even at 9th level I was a huge factor in our party (especially since we had no other arcane caster.)

Eldariel
2010-07-05, 03:15 PM
Nine levels of Bard is fine 'cause that's when you get Inspire Greatness, which gets enhanced by all your Music-enhancing stuff and just so happens to be one of the best Bardic Musics even when not abused.

Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso +8 is, IMHO, the gold standard as far as Bards go. Gets tons of awesome music, awesome casting and lots of Bardic Music uses.

IdleMuse
2010-07-05, 09:58 PM
If you are an aberration, does the Vitalise Aberration song affect yourself to increase your Suggestion-like DCs?

Greenish
2010-07-05, 10:03 PM
If you are an aberration, does the Vitalise Aberration song affect yourself to increase your Suggestion-like DCs?By RAW, yes.

Gametime
2010-07-05, 10:06 PM
Man, I keep thinking that that feat would be pretty rockin' if it wasn't such a rare creature type. Slow is a great debuff, especially if you don't have to waste the spells known on it.

If only it affected a more common type.

Runestar
2010-07-05, 10:09 PM
Since you need 10 levels of Bard for Sublime Chord anyways...

(That is, barring high cheese)

Sublime chord doesn't even need bard lvs to qualify...:smalltongue:

Gametime
2010-07-05, 10:54 PM
Sublime chord doesn't even need bard lvs to qualify...:smalltongue:

No, but it takes some serious Paladin finagling to get in otherwise.

Keld Denar
2010-07-05, 11:12 PM
Yea, serious Paladin shananigans, Able Learner, and a serious Int score.

I wouldn't say Bard9/Virt1/SC2/Virt+8 is the gold standard. Oftentimes there is a Mindbender dip in there with Mindsight, a VERY strong option. Also, a couple levels of Lyric Thamateuge get squeezed in there as well if you have a decent int score.

Aharon
2010-07-06, 02:42 AM
Well, if you have an all-elan party with lots of spell-likes, the feat might pay off. It's basically an Abilityfocus only you have to take. And I'm not sure, but do maneuvers count as special attacks? A few of them have saves, so they would benefit, too. Plus, RAW, psionic powers are spell-likes - though I think most DMs don't use that.

So an all-Elan party with a Bard, a psion, a ToB-meleer and a Warlock or some other class using spell-likes might like that.

Still rather specific, though.