PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Can someone clarify Animal Companion Choices for me?

Drothmal
2010-07-05, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if someone could clarify a question I had

Can druids in PF choose other Animal Companions? I know that you could do it 3.5, but I did not see any indication in the PF book that would allow it.

Here's the relevant text

From the Pathfinder SRD (emphasis added)

The second option is to form a close bond with an animal companion. A druid may begin play with any of the animals listed in Animal Choices. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures.

Unlike normal animals of its kind, an animal companion's Hit Dice, abilities, skills, and feats advance as the druid advances in level. If a character receives an animal companion from more than one source, her effective druid levels stack for the purposes of determining the statistics and abilities of the companion. Most animal companions increase in size when their druid reaches 4th or 7th level, depending on the companion. If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer in the environment where the new companion typically lives. This ceremony can also replace an animal companion that has perished.

Also, from SRD

Animal Choices

Each animal companion has different starting sizes, speed, attacks, ability scores, and special qualities. All animal attacks are made using the creature's full base attack bonus unless otherwise noted. Animal attacks add the animal's Strength modifier to the damage roll, unless it is its only attack, in which case it adds 1-1/2 its Strength modifier. Some have special abilities, such as scent. See Special Abilities for more information on these abilities. As you gain levels, your animal companion improves as well, usually at 4th or 7th level, in addition to the standard bonuses noted on Table: Animal Companion Base Statistics. Instead of taking the listed benefit at 4th or 7th level, you can instead choose to increase the companion's Dexterity and Constitution by 2.

I have read Treantmonk's guide to druids (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-2) - which is fantastic and I highly recommend - and he talks about alternative choices for Animal Companions, but I just don't see how that happens

So, my questions are

a) Can you get other Animal companions besides the ones given in the book (bird, horse, cat, bear, boar, etc)
b) If so, how does that work? Can you only choose companions with HD lower or equal than what is given to you by the Animal companion table? Or is it based on CR?
c) If you can choose other companions, how do you advance them? You just start at the table wherever they left or you just start adding to their stats from the beginning of the table? (for example, if at lvl 8 you pick an animal companion with 7HD and you level up, does it gain [1HD, ability score increase, multiattack] or [2HD, link, share spells]
d) Is there a 4/7th lvl advancement for other animals? If so, how is this done? I don't see any pattern of why the advancement should be at 4 or 7 or what stats do they get

Thanks in advance!

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-05, 01:08 PM
AFAIK, for a, b and c, you could just look in the bestiary or in the PRD.

there are animals that can be taken as AC, and base stats and advancements are written (comes in my mind the T-rex, starting as a mini-t-rex).

Mojo_Rat
2010-07-05, 01:32 PM
Druids get two choices. they can choose from a limited number of cleric domains or get an animal companion. If they choose one of the domains animal i think? they still get a companion its just -3 levels.

That said if youw ant a non-standard companion just find their entries in the beastiary if its intended as a companion it will have an entry for it.

For example if you look at the PF entry for Giant frog

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-lists-and-details/-f/frog/giant-frog

at the bottom it lists 'frog companions'

Just look at any animal and look for that entry if it is there then its intended as a companion you advance it like any other companion

Drothmal
2010-07-05, 01:46 PM
Thanks to both of you! I found the entries, it makes sense now....

Is there any place that has the compiled list of all possibilities or should I just look 1 by 1?

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-05, 03:02 PM
I don't really know, but try a search in the Paizo messageboards, maybe you finde a guide or such.

Luckily, there are not so many splats until now, so you have only to find in the Pahfinder SRD.

Why don't you make a list by yourself, and put it in your signature? It could be useful for my next pathfinder Druid :smallwink:

Paul H
2010-07-05, 06:07 PM
Hi

Apart from those listed in the PHB, the Appendix 7, Bestiary Pg 316 has the following:

Ankylosaurus, Aurochs, Bison, Brachiosaurus, Dire Bat, Dolphin, Elasmosaurus, Electric Eel, Elephant, Giant Frog, Giant Moray Eel, Goblin Dog, Hyena, Monitor Lizard, Octopus, Orca, Pteranodon, Rhinocerous, Roc, Squid, Stegosaurus, Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus.

Note - some of these animals are younger/smaller versions of their larger familiy.......

Hope this helps
Paul H

Paul H
2010-07-05, 06:30 PM
Hi

Oh - and don't forget, if you increase their Int to 3 or better, you can train them to use a wider range of feats, some animals can even use martial weapons, etc!

(Large Ape in armour, wielding oversized Elven Curved Blade, with Pwr Attack)?! :smalltongue:

Thanks
Paul H