PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Gestalt Bard//Virtuoso quandary

Townopolis
2010-07-05, 01:36 PM
I have a simple question. If a gestalt character was a bard on one side and a virtuoso on the other, would they be able to maintain a bardic performance (e.g. Inspire Courage) and a virtuoso performance (e.g. Jarring Song) at the same time considering the abilities come from different sides of the //?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-05, 01:38 PM
Only if they take different actions. A wizard/sorcerer can't cast two spells at the same time just because both sides are casters ;)

El Dorado
2010-07-05, 01:41 PM
Said character could use Song of the White Raven to start the inspire courage as a swift action, leaving his standard action for the other song.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-05, 01:44 PM
Don't you have to maintain the song going on?
And can you use the same skill check for two different activities in the same round? It's probably wise to do two different performances at the same time, like a stringed instrument and singing. Or a speech and drums.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-05, 01:50 PM
Don't you have to maintain the song going on?

There are ways to keep two of them going at once, like a harmonizing weapon or Lingering Performance.

And can you use the same skill check for two different activities in the same round?

Yep; nothing prevents you from using whatever Perform you want as long as you have the actions and/or other abilities to support it.

Townopolis
2010-07-05, 01:50 PM
I'm not talking about starting two songs in one round. I'm talking about something like.

Round 1: begins Inspire Courage, casts inspirational boost, draws sword.
Round 2: maintains Inspire Courage, begins Jarring Song, activates Badge of Valor, moves into position.
Round 3: maintains Inspire Courage, maintains Jarring Song, stabs some guy in the face.

According to my understanding of the rules, a bard is unable to maintain two bardic music uses at the same time. So if you use Inspire Greatness in one round and Inspire Courage the next, you are unable to maintain your IG and it begins its 5-round fade. I'm wondering if the fact that Virtuoso Performance is technically a different ability set plus the two abilities coming from different sides of a gestalt progression might (by RAW or GM judgement) bypass this.

El Dorado
2010-07-05, 02:17 PM
You're still restricted by action economy. One swift, one standard, one move action per round (unless you have a spell, power, feat, etc that does otherwise). I think Lingering Song would be a good investment for this type of character.

edit: on the other hand, if your DM rules that maintaining songs is a free action, then I suppose it's possible.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-05, 02:21 PM
I'm wondering if the fact that Virtuoso Performance is technically a different ability set plus the two abilities coming from different sides of a gestalt progression might (by RAW or GM judgement) bypass this.

Gestalt is irrelevant; they're different pools, so using a bard song won't cancel a virtuoso song or vice versa.

Townopolis
2010-07-05, 02:24 PM
on the other hand, if your DM rules that maintaining songs is a free action, then I suppose it's possible.
Unless the song specifically states that it requires concentration, maintaining it is a free action by RAW.

El Dorado
2010-07-05, 02:51 PM
Unless the song specifically states that it requires concentration, maintaining it is a free action by RAW.

I think you've asked and answered your own question then. Of any class, a bard/virtuoso would be the one most able to bounce from one song to another in the same round (free actions) and thereby maintaining their effects.

Townopolis
2010-07-05, 03:51 PM
Well, actually, I think dice answered my question.