PDA

View Full Version : Playing a wraith D&D 3.5

Stryke
2010-07-05, 01:54 PM
I know that libris mortis allows you to play several undead creatures as character by way of undead monster classes, but unfortunatly the wraith is not one of the avaible option, does anyone now of a way in which one could play as a wraith.

DragonOfLies
2010-07-05, 02:00 PM
Not unless you only want to advance by HD, since Wraiths can't take class levels. And to do that, you'd need some sort of intermediate between Wraith (stops at 10HD) and Dread Wraith (starts at 16HD).

ProfMoriarty
2010-07-05, 02:00 PM
Perhaps a ghost would be more appropriate, and also has a savage progression in a Wizard's article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a).

Sorry if link is broken, found it in google but can't check at work.

Forever Curious
2010-07-05, 02:01 PM
You can use the Wraith Template from Savage Species. The LA is a little steep, though.

Claudius Maximus
2010-07-05, 02:01 PM
The Emancipated Spawn PrC from savage Species can let you play a Wraith character. The book's pretty wonky though, and not the best as far as balance is concerned.

Zaq
2010-07-05, 02:03 PM
The Emancipated Spawn PrC from savage Species can let you play Wraith character. The book's pretty wonky though, and not the best as far as balance is concerned.

To this day, I hold a heartfelt wish that the people who wrote, say, Tome of Battle or the MIC (you know, people who get it) had rewritten Savage Species the way that the 3.0 Psionics Handbook got rewritten into the Expanded Psionics Handbook. It's such a cool idea, with some of the worst implementation I've seen in the entire game.

DragonOfLies
2010-07-05, 02:06 PM
You can use the Wraith Template from Savage Species. The LA is a little steep, though.

It is indeed. But playing a human wraith isn't much worse (in terms of ECL) than just being a Wraith. Wraiths have 5 racial hit die, and the template is LA+7. Neither is particularly appealing.

Saya
2010-07-05, 02:12 PM
If you're simply looking to play an incorpreal character, you can look at ghostwalk, which has some nice options.

Stryke
2010-07-05, 02:18 PM
ideally i was looking for a level advancment class like they have in libris mortis but the savage species ideas sound good i whould be able to peace something together from that

gorfnab
2010-07-05, 08:14 PM
The Shade (+4) template, from Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and Dragon Magazine #322, might work. Otherwise the Umbral (+5) template, from Savage Species and Dragon Magazine #322, may also be an option.

Runestar
2010-07-05, 08:36 PM
Not unless you only want to advance by HD, since Wraiths can't take class levels. And to do that, you'd need some sort of intermediate between Wraith (stops at 10HD) and Dread Wraith (starts at 16HD).

Wraiths can take class lvs just fine. Their advancement by HD line does not preclude the taking of class lvs.

Now the only issue is LA. If we go by the LA given to the shadow in savage species, it ain't pretty. :smallannoyed: