PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Music Themed Build

Marriclay
2010-07-05, 02:31 PM
A DM I know recently came up with the idea for a rock-based campaign. I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a character concept, but I suppose that's why I'm asking here, isn't it? One of the other players was considering a sublime chord for awe inspiring bass, whereas all I really know is that I want to be on drums. any suggestions?

Raistlin1040
2010-07-05, 02:34 PM
Heh, that's funny because I'm working on an entire rock-based d20 system. Slowly >.>

So, is the expectation that you're all bards, or just that perform is a class skill for everyone, or is is gestalt X/bard?

Marriclay
2010-07-05, 02:45 PM
I just asked and it looks like everybody will have perform as a class skill. And another player is going to play a pop princess thrallherd who will be using her thrall as the band manager.

Prodan
2010-07-05, 02:47 PM
Kobold Bard/Virtuoso/Sublime Chord.

You know you want to.

Raistlin1040
2010-07-05, 03:17 PM
I'd advise against everyone being bards then, if there's already a Bard/Sublime Chord bassist. If you want to go for a drummer, I suggest a two-weapon fighting ranger who dual wields maces of some sort, or (if you want more awesome, but also more feats expended) two weapon fighting Lion Totem Barbarian.

Lev
2010-07-05, 03:19 PM
Two Words: Custom Classes

EvilJoe15
2010-07-05, 03:25 PM
Bassist here. You could go lead singer/keytar player. Ala Alestorm.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-05, 03:37 PM
Could the Lighting Mace style feat be fitting for the drummer?

Marriclay
2010-07-05, 03:40 PM
Could the Lighting Mace style feat be fitting for the drummer?

Where's that from?

dgnslyr
2010-07-05, 03:43 PM
I've heard some pretty cheesy things about Lighting Maces involving kukris and obscene numbers of attacks, but I don't know what it does. Anybody want to explain?

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-05, 03:44 PM
Where's that from?

Complete warrior.. for every crit with a light mace, you get a free attack. I think could fit a fast tempo.

Another "beat" feat in the same book is three mountains - if you beat someone twice with a morning star, he must fortitude save or be nauseated.

I've heard some pretty cheesy things about Lighting Maces involving kukris and obscene numbers of attacks, but I don't know what it does. Anybody want to explain?

I didn't proposed it for power but for flavour (so, for an actual use with light maces).

Not that can be slightly optimized, later, for a PC both fun and effective.

Flickerdart
2010-07-05, 03:52 PM
That could be funny - the guy normally uses "drumsticks" (light maces) but pulls out the Keen Aptitude Kukris when the going gets tough.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-05, 03:58 PM
That could be funny - the guy normally uses "drumsticks" (light maces) but pulls out the Keen Aptitude Kukris when the going gets tough.

It could depend from the power level of the campaign, I guess. In one could be unneeded, in another one.. just refluff the kukris, if you want to Heavy Metal.

Danin
2010-07-05, 04:54 PM
Be a half orc barbarian who dual wields war hammers or maces. Play the 'drums', and by drums I mean a combination of broken shields, scraps of armor and the skulls of monsters, all taken from those you have defeated in glorious battle. Let the gods quake in fear of your might, and the power of your metal.

... That was a fun character.

Marriclay
2010-07-05, 05:14 PM
Be a half orc barbarian who dual wields war hammers or maces. Play the 'drums', and by drums I mean a combination of broken shields, scraps of armor and the skulls of monsters, all taken from those you have defeated in glorious battle. Let the gods quake in fear of your might, and the power of your metal.

... That was a fun character.

I'll do it.

But I'm going with Half-Ogre. I believe there's an instrument in the Forgotten Realms setting called a Wargong, made of the shields of fallen enemies. Sounds like a good fit!

Does anybody have any suggestions to make it a fairly well optimized build? For note, I'm also considering Warblade in lieu of Barbarian

Nero24200
2010-07-05, 05:24 PM
A set of blow-pipes fashioned to look like wood-wind instruments could also come in handy for adding variety. Or the unarmed monk who's stunning fist is actually a head-butt whilst he holds up a fist with his index finger and pnky extended.

EvilJoe15
2010-07-05, 05:35 PM
Well I'd dip Barbarian 1, and Cleric 1 to get pounce, and Travel Devotion. Beyond that straight Warblade is good.

Lev
2010-07-05, 05:47 PM
Technically if you want to go that route any class can be a musician, just put ranks in perform and give all of their weapons musical qualities (an axe having force guitar strings), or have an artificer/bard in the group make the weapons magically musical somehow.

Marriclay
2010-07-05, 05:47 PM
Well I'd dip Barbarian 1, and Cleric 1 to get pounce, and Travel Devotion. Beyond that straight Warblade is good.

Mostly good, but I think I'll leave off the cleric level, using sudden jump for the swift action travel instead. Pounce is always good, though. I'll also take a look at the different prestige classes available that give full maneuver advancement. looks like I know what I'm doing, thanks everybody!

gorfnab
2010-07-05, 08:22 PM
Seeker of the Song from Complete Arcane may work for a drumming based bard.

Lev
2010-07-05, 08:28 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8519941#post8519941