PDA

View Full Version : Outer Empire

BlueWizard
2010-07-05, 05:05 PM
Diamondell: Far-Out Empire

Right now, Diamondell is rain soaked and muddy. Those of you new here will wonder why anyone might want to live in this remote land of the Northern Kingdom. Overseas and far from the center of the Old Empire. This kingdom has been 'lost' to the empire for hundreds of years.

Of the few fine cities this North has, you now find yourself in none of them. Instead, a hard-to-reach, new-found, ramshackle town. It is built around an ancient, but well-built simple keep that is long in disrepair. The center keep is hard to see in the gray drizzle of rain, and undergoing major support repair and enhancements.

The vast works of art from cities and temples, as well as a network of underground was lost in this ancient domain. Imperial control was lost here, many hundreds of years ago. Aberrations and demon-worshipers. They have not been driven from the land, but treasure-seekers have come to this place from all over the world and multi-verse.

The Baroness Kerafin has been appointed noble-ruler of the land, and has helped provide many business opportunities. This has opened bountiful rewards for the recovery of lost imperial artifacts.

Derick got word that one of his successful former 'street-buddies' has moved out here, and has an offer that he thinks Derick won't refuse. She is now standing before you all, clad in tight sexily fitting black leather armor. Her black mask, and leather cap pulled back, revealing her long dark wavy brown hair pulled back in a pony-tail. She is maybe 21.

Kekyn will have met this friend of Derick in the woods, her name is Candace, and she apparently told him of strange tales of alien magic. She didn't want to seem crazy to many folk, and only sent word to all of you individually to meet her in this hovel of a home set somewhere in the rolling hills and forests of Diamondell's Northern countryside... on the colder side of the county of course!

All of you are slowed by the muddy conditions, there may have been paved roads in the ancient days, but right now these roads haven't been seen in hundreds of years. All ways through this place was mud-road, and likely all of you are tramping mud into this tiny wooden hovel, not that Candace cared.

The hut mostly keeps the rain off of you, a river pours down one corner of the wall.

Diamondell is a strange place where even the undead are accepted. Goblins, dwarves, and even an occasional elf can be seen here among gith, orc, and many human races and other humanoids. Agathe will find no persecution here, though eyes do tend to stare, she isn't attacked on sight here, which can't be said for most places. This young rogue, Candace, found Agathe in the country-side, and offered to get her rich, perhaps so that Agathe could improve her chances of survival in this tough world. She would have said to all of you: "My lord, can offer 100 platinum or more for particular recovered items of art and historical value from the lost city."

Carin knew who this lord of Candace might be, for it is the Sea-Barons who talked of the riches of this new county of Diamondell. Many pirates and entrepreneurs made their way up to this far Northern Kingdom's inland county to seek rumored millions in gold. Including something that might help her defeat the lich-lords...

Eric will have been hired on by Candace recently, apparently, she knew of his former job, and the rigged gig at the Inn. She said something about lawyer help, if he sticks with her. "These guys pay up front. I can get 500 gold for each of us. Now."

This "gold" will be presented now as 50 platinum coins in a fine purple and black felt pouch, while crowding into the rickety hut. Eric and Candace arrived here together, and have traveled from the nearest town which was 7 days RIDE away. She had bought him a horse, but both horses and gear died and were lost in a mudslide on the way here. As well as her maps.
"We'll rely on my keen intellect and memory of these hills. At least to the point where we're heading. From there, you all will take over."
"This town won't have much magic... not yet. I think there's a potion man, and some temples around, so scrolls and potions... and well... not much else. Unless you need non-magical supplies, and we got plenty of that here now."

She looks at those of you crowded into this chilly hut, spies Derick, "You look different. Weather got you down?" These two seem to know each other from before, she is friendly, but the pretty rogue is not flirty.

Eric and Candace might have a 'thing' going, she seems friendly enough with him. She will look at Eric, a little sultry."Well looks like tonight we won't get the tent alone."

The Outer Empire Explorers:
Hazzardevil as Derick a Rogue
Jarian as Kekyn the Shaman
LordOfTheDucks as Agathe the Hunter
Aldgar as Eric a Sorcerer
Amnestic as Carin the Death Knight
Re'ozul as Vendar lost Paladin?

{OOC- Welcome, post up a PC description, greeting, and let's get this one rolling.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-02-27, 09:19 AM
Agathe sits upright and proper. Hands folded in her lap. Her heavy cloak gives the impression of a frame she doesn't quite fill out. She had been so far tight-lipped about her 'condition', but in the close quarters her rotted stench was unmistakable.

Not bothered in the least by the inclement weather or drafty quarters, Agathe offers the first salutations.

"Pleased to meet you all. Most people know me as Ms. Wauer, but you can call me Agathe."

Aldgar
2011-02-27, 09:43 AM
Though he wasn't the oddest of the group, Eric somehow looked out of place among the adventurers.

The first thing you'd notice about him that he was small - about a head shorter than everyone else.

His short brown hair was partially hidden beneath a black, wide-brimmed hat, and his practical explorer's outfit was of a dim blue color. A somewhat disgruntled and wet bird was perched on the sorcerer's hat, glaring at noone in particular and apparently quite dissatisfied with the situation at large.

Choosing to ignore the female rogue's remark, he said:
"I'm glad we've finally reached this town. Treasurehunting isn't exactly my forte, but Edgar can serve as scout to help us find our way."

An indignant squawk disrupted the young man, who took off his hat and brushed softly over the bird's feathers. With a tingle of minor magic, the raven was dried, warmed and cleaned within moments as Eric mumbled something.

"Ah, right - I'm Eric. Does anyone else want to freshen up a bit, or perhaps enjoy a more comfortable temperature? My magic lasts for a good hour, and my familiar might not be be the only one who's cold."

OOC

Eric casts Prestidigitation.
Spells left:
4 Cantrips
4 1st-level spells

Amnestic
2011-02-27, 02:00 PM
The money up front (50 platinum up front? In this area? Practically asking to get robbed.) was enough to catch her interest. If Carin's suspicions proved correct this 'lord' of Candace's was a person who could help her find what she was after; and make a tidy profit along the way of course. She'd heard rumours of similar offers expeditions being made, though nothing substantive. There was a chance they'd end up fighting another group of treasure hunters which could be a hindrance.

The cold in the hovel doesn't particularly bother her; her body was probably colder already. Still, a touch of warmth helps make her feel a little more human again for at least a little while. Still, she keeps her hood up; their band seemed motley enough without adding her unique appearance to it to draw more attention.

"Carin. Just Carin." She speaks softly, but can't hide the echo that her voice seemed to have against itself. It turned a few heads, but out of curiosity rather than hostility, and they soon turned away once more. Carin eyes the one who introduced herself as Agathe warily. An undead. It, or rather, she, likely wasn't connected to the ones she sought. There was a chance though. An added bonus for sticking around.

BlueWizard
2011-02-28, 05:55 AM
In closed quarters Candace will hold her nose and mouth, whispering to Agathe referring to her. "We will need to do something about..." Candace will pull out some expensive perfume bottles and attempt to freshen up the Forsaken one.

Candace will gladly take a magic assist from her short little man crush to aid in Agathe's odor. Candace bats her eyes at Eric hoping to get his attention. "Your natural magic is good enough for me." Eric will feel perhaps a little too much 'urging' from this roguish girl, gone rich.

Candace looks at the others standing about and shrugs. There are chairs, but none look of any supportive use, the wood long since dried and rotted. "I am sure you are wondering why I gathered you here. Well, I'll tell you:

The wizards are always listening."

She will pause for a moment and then add, "And what we seek is sought by many. There is a potential for a lot of findings here, beyond those items which my lord wants for his museum."

GrassyGnoll
2011-02-28, 08:31 AM
The dainty corpse turns to Eric and his bird, "In this weather? Allow me. The poor beast would catch chill in minutes."

Agathe spies the expensive label of the perfume. She covers her mouth in a pantomimed blush, but no blood warms her expression. Agathe offers Candace her flesh-stripped fingers and lily white wrist, whispering back, "Thank you, dear. These details escape me sometimes."

In truth, Agathe had never worn a scent more delicate than her husband's cologne. Neither had she sat in congress with rogues, conjurers, and killers; nor expected them to be so polite. She waits quietly for Candace to continue and the last of their compatriots to speak up.

BlueWizard
2011-02-28, 04:54 PM
"I was hoping this rain would stop, but originally I intended to approach our little 'gold-mine' in the night. To deter other 'prospectors' from finding or tracking our cache. As some of you may know Diamondell is now a hotbed of a variety adventuring explorers. Though I must say most have met with gruesome fates. As long as we steer clear of illithids and beholders, we're good." She seems confident, and a little cocky.

Hazzardevil
2011-02-28, 05:00 PM
Derick looks around for candace and takes the 50 platinum coins, he examines them for a moment then pockets it quickly.

Candice, how are you and how did you get to be working for a man with so much gold?
We've come a long way form the streets haven't we, having gone our sepearate ways.

Derick then spins one of his chakrams in his hands and looks at candice to try and find her weapon.

BlueWizard
2011-02-28, 05:19 PM
Candace smirks at her younger friend, "I got hooked up with the GUILD. And you should too, Derick. They have changed my life, and I think you will find the dues are worth it." She will look at Derick as if she knows something about him, that he'd rather the others not know.

Candace has a fine ivory hilt, in a black sleek long sword scabbard.
She also has throwing stars in her belt.

Jarian
2011-03-01, 04:49 AM
Kekyn pockets the coins with a curt nod of thanks. She regards the others with a silent gaze, staring at each one in turn before blinking and studying anew. A fingertip idly traces along one of her many softly glowing blue tattoos, this one flowing between her right eye and upper lip.

The inquisitive whine from a wolfhound at her side finally prompts Kekyn to speak. Her voice has a certain otherworldly edge to it, speaking of a heritage not entirely from this plane of existence.

"Kekyn, last of clan Irotai. I decline your offer, master Eric. The blessings of the wild should not be so lightly dismissed."

Kekyn lays a hand on the wolfhound's wet fur, and suddenly water streams up into the air, coalescing into three faintly glowing spheres, which take up a slow orbit around her body. Still wet, the dog whines once more, placing a paw on Kekyn's leg. Shrugging, she addresses Eric again.

"Cemal is less appreciative of the rain than I, master Eric. If you would please dry him with your spell?"

Activating Water Shield for no particularly good reason.

BlueWizard
2011-03-01, 07:22 AM
Candace watches Kekyn in action and is impressed.

She looks at all of the faces here, glancing quickly at the paladin.
"Well, we can leave now or in the morning. I've been to this place, and it is not far from here. If we stay, I'm setting my tent up outside. Way to crowded in here with all you stink-os."She says it in jest hoping to not offend Agathe.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-01, 02:32 PM
I'll consider it Candice, depending on what I find out about the superiors. After all they have ruined more than a few of my jobs with me coming back to find my client dead.

Why did you choose a longsword? Intersting choice for someone of our profession.

Derick then reaches into his pocket and starts fingering something.

BlueWizard
2011-03-01, 03:27 PM
Candace seems amused with Derick, she touches her fine hilt, "I dated a Northern soldier for a while. All they have up here are long swords... if you want to do some real damage.

As for the GUILD... you'll learn someday. They're everywhere. Even out here." She pats her healthy chest as if she represents.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-01, 04:11 PM
The demure undead echoes Candace's question, "I'm quite alright with leaving now."

BlueWizard
2011-03-02, 04:40 AM
Candace nods and looks at Agathe, "Agreed." Then sadly to the newly dried wolfhound. "Follow me. The ruins are nearby... already some of you may have been followed."

She will pull on her mask, put up her black leather cap, and pull-up her shiny black silk cloak. "Ready."

She smiles looking at Derick. "This ain't the streets of Helmswood." She chuckles, and then will head out into the downpour. It will be hard to hear what she says, but she doesn't want prying ears to listen too well. "This land is more goblinoid, than human. You'll see that soon enough. One reason they want us here is to... soften up the lairs. Slow-down goblin-raiding parties. These goblins don't know the treasure of wealth they sit upon. All sorts of aberrations, so if any of you have arcane knowledge study up, because this dungeon has some doozies... My last party... well, let me just say, I won't be going back in." She seems ashamed to say this. "The horrors... I have a rough map in my head... of the upper 2 levels, but there is some sort of map-room guarded by a plane-traveling gith, and this is the main nuisance you will face."

She will speak low in the rain, and pick up her pace. She seems in a hurry to get back here... or elsewhere.

Amnestic
2011-03-02, 06:38 AM
Carin doesn't really see much to do except follow after Candace. She follows her out into the rain and briefly looked up at the pouring sky, her hood fluttering in the strong words. "You lost your last group?" She asks, speaking up proper now that they were outside. "It might help us prepare if you told us the specifics as much as you know. I don't make it a rule to walk into raids blind if I can help it."

BlueWizard
2011-03-02, 03:17 PM
Candace is nervous speaking of her past group. She will lead you past a spooky looking marsh-lake, that is covered in tule fog.

"There was a grove of trees guarded by goblins.... we killed the goblins, and... and found riches below. But.. there were demons, undead, and other aberrations... I don't even know what all of the things were. My smart mage got killed."

As she is speaking a massive 30 foot long gator or croc, or something that was not right in size or color. It is dark, blackish green, with mottled skin. It is so huge and powerful all of you are forced to flee into the country-side.

Slip, sliding your way fleeing from fear Candace will lead you on. {Those not fleeing in fear, flee because staying with the living folk is the prudent thing to do with the massive corrupted croc.}

Carin and Agathe saw what happened, the paladin was swallowed whole, and taken back into the lake by the surprise attack.

When the muddy group catches it breath, Candace will gasp for air as she collapses near a grove of trees on a hill. "What was that?" She looks down the other slope, gets breathless, and white from fright. "We're here."

{OOC- Vendar has passed, he never had a chance it seems...}

Aldgar
2011-03-03, 04:38 AM
Eric remained quiet. He didn't get to know the paladin who never introduced himself, and he was happy to have escaped that huge monster. With several unknown dangers out for their blood ahead, and the lure of treasure at the horizon, he resolved to make the best out of the situation.

A short glance at his familiar, and Edgar takes off to the sky, quickly gaining altitude and scanning the trees from above.

After a minute, the bird returns and reports his findings, croaking Common quite fluently...

OOC

A spot check for Edgar's scouting:
[roll0]

BlueWizard
2011-03-03, 06:41 AM
Candace is surprised when the Raven starts speaking. "That's not real..."

Edgar will report seeing a bonfire in the forest down the hillside. It is under a tent-like shelter, "And there are men there. One with a tall minor pontiff hat." Edgar didn't want to get any closer, since the one with the white tall hat could be powerful.

"I don't even know what pontiff means." Candace is still amazed.

Aldgar
2011-03-03, 09:08 AM
"A pontiff is a powerful cleric, a high priest of some sort.

You said that there were goblins there originally, and demons and undead were in the caverns below. Maybe we found another group of adventurers who want to quest for riches?"

Edgar apparently could become really talkative, once flattered.

While Eric waited on his companion's opinions, he distracted himself with his magic - creating a few crude dice, some tiny figures representing the group, and a small table...

Hazzardevil
2011-03-03, 11:57 AM
A cleric? Damn, I hate clerics, they go on about how you ought to pray to the gods and refuse to help street rats like us.
He continues rambling for a while and then stops.

I could have saved that paladin, if only I could have thrown that alchemists spark in my pocket.

He then throws one of his chakrams at the ground in frustration and picks it up again.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-03, 01:10 PM
Agathe unslings her shortbow. She murmurs in response to Derick's remark, "Don't blame yourself, I should have kept peeled for predators this far out into the wilds."

Feeling like a sorry survivalist, Agathe ponders her own place in the food-chain. Surely no beast would find her a suitable meal, and her own company was an unfortunate accident away from supper. She tried to put the thought out of her mind, but a forester was always prepared...

"The choice to engage is ours. And I like our position," Agathe opined.

Amnestic
2011-03-03, 01:16 PM
"I agree." Carin nods, tugging her sword from its sheathe on her back. The six runes along the blade flared into life, each casting a different colour. It didn't feel heavy; more like a natural extension of her own body, its weight and balance tempered by the runic energies flowing through it. "If they're other adventurers, they're competition. Best to take them out and see if they've got any plunder we can...liberate.

Aldgar
2011-03-03, 01:41 PM
With the paladin out of the way, the darker side of adventuring shows up...but hey, who am I kidding?

Wasn't killing things and taking their stuff the very foundation of adventuring since the days of yore?

Eric suddenly raised his head, his familiar perched on his left shoulder. An unsettling gleam in his eyes, the sorcerer said:

"Alright. Let's find out wether they mean to help us or hinder us on our mission. With our paladin gone, a healer of some sort might be essential to our success - but we have no use for a healer we cannot trust."

A few brief words of arcane power caused a softly shimmering forcefield to appear around the young man and his raven, as he prepared himself for a potential confrontation...

OOC

Eric casts Mage Armor and shares it with Edgar.

Spells left:
4/5 Cantrips
3/4 1st-level

Does anyone have Diplomacy or other social Skills? Eric has a +4 Cha modifier and a +1 bonus from the Lucky Dice Soulmeld, but that's it.
If you guys want to pull a straight combat/surprise attack and go adventuring without healing, that's fine by me as well - we might hopefully be able to pick up some healing belts in that case as soon as the opportunity arises.

BlueWizard
2011-03-03, 02:59 PM
Edgar will correct Eric, and indicate that hat was not as big as some, and he believes the priest to be a low mid-ranking priest. Candace looks at Eric, and whispers to him. "Dude, your bird is smarter than me." Candace is intrigued by Eric's little figures and dice. "You're very creative... especially in such dangerous lands."

Looking at Derick she says, "Not sure that spark would of done much."

Candace is intrigued by Carin's idea. Edgar says that the 'encampment' is about a mile away. Candace has no problem discussing any approach the party may want to take.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-03, 03:25 PM
"Would you trust a band of rogues, ghouls, and conjurers in these woods?"

"I can spot in the night, take a position uphill and feather them. If they engage, it will be a short ambush," Agathe rattles coldly. It wasn't her first hunting party.

"If I get a little closer, I can make a called shot, but if you just want their attention, I can draw them from a further position."

Agathe's ghostly eyes fix on Edgar. The possibilities offered by a winged spotter gave the sniper wonderful, horrible ideas.

OOC
Darkvision 60' here. So We can make some preliminary positioning beyond the shadowy illumination of their campfire. Within 30', Agathe can take a Careful Strike for +4 attack & damage. Otherwise, she can pull the group from a 60' range increment.

BlueWizard
2011-03-04, 07:01 AM
You all have to be careful as you make your way along the wet muddy slope down to the particular woods that Candace seeks. Once you reach the woods there is some tree-cover from the rain. However, the ground-cover is a morass of leaves and grass, which at the moment provides little more stability than the muddy hills.

You won't get too close to the 'gathering' of men, but you will see the firelight and some sort of tent cover in the distance through the woods. {~600 yards ahead} Too many shadows to make out details, but there is movement of maybe 6 men. One seems to have a tall, thin, white pointy hat.

At the moment you are impeded for there are 2 dire wolves lowly growling right ahead of you. {60 feet away} They saw your approach, and desire to block your path first. These grey wolves are 9 feet long, one of them has black spots and is sleeker. The other has white speckling it's grey back-fur, and has a large scar across its face, a white eye-patch covers the burly old wolf's missing eye.

{OOC- This would be a good time to pick an order. I have no problem with Candace leading at the moment, since she is showing you the way, which is also in the direction of this strange pontiff-party. With this in mind going on, we can fudge the order as you prepare for battle. I know this is a doozy, but I think you guys can handle it.}

The wolves act first, and surprise your leader. The one with black spots tackles and trips Candace biting her fiercely, but merely pins her and grips her snarling with its teeth. She bleeds some as it bites upon her. The older one leaped to aid upon the next in line, but instead slips and falls about 40 feet away in the woods.

Initiatives:
Agathe 9+3
Derick 7+4
Carin 9+1
Kekyn 6+2
Eric 2+2
Dire Wolves: Spots and One-Eye
{I had to check my d20, thought it might be a d10! Apologies.}

{Re: No Map Combat: As long as you stay within the bounds I lay out, use your imagination for what can be done. If you need a tree to climb there are many, I don't mind adding scene stuff in this format, unless it is an outrageous creation. Anyway, good luck. Oh, and no need for spoilers, I have missed them on occasion. I will get a PM if there is a need for a secret note. I will post at least one round per day.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-04, 08:26 AM
Agathe draws her bow in alarm. Hesitant to fire into the melee, she watches the old wolf warily. Agathe menaces the beasts with a notched arrow, waiting for a clean shot.

{I imagine Agathe will be somewhat close to the lead, maybe 20 ft. back and to the left from Candace. Are the woods on a slope? How did the old wolf slip back 40 ft.? Agathe will take a full-round, ready-action to attack the next wolf to move out of melee within 30 ft. with her shortbow, applying the Careful Strike feat for +4 attack/dmg.}

Jarian
2011-03-04, 09:19 AM
Kekyn lets out a cry of alarm as the wolf leaps upon Candace, reflexively calling a small sphere of crackling lightning to hand, which she hurls at the spotted wolf before rushing forward. Raising a hand skyward, she shouts a word in the tongue of the celestials, and a bolt of lightning streaks down from thin air, striking her upraised hand and racing down her arm, over her chest, and down one leg, striking the ground with an explosive wave of electricity.

Cemal growls savagely, hackles raised and teeth bared as he takes up a defensive stance at Kekyn's side.

Kekyn will be near the front, since she's relatively sturdy.

Standard action: throw a Lightning Bolt at Spots for [roll0] electric damage, ignoring resistances. Ranged touch attack to hit: [roll1]

Move action: Move as close to Candace as possible, on the other side of the wolf. Kekyn - Candace - Spots, in grid order.

Swift action: Thunderstorm, augmented with one daily use of Boost Spell-like Ability. [roll2] electric damage, reflex DC 19 for half. On a failed reflex save, Spots is thrown away from Kekyn, landing on the outside of a 20 foot radius area.

Since she doesn't have an action left to order Cemal to attack, I figure he just stays by her side and waits for something to threaten her directly.

Aldgar
2011-03-04, 11:02 AM
OOC:
I assume Eric is roughly 60ft behind Candace.

The sorcerer moved closer fixed his eyes on the wolf that was towering over their guide.

A swift flick of his wrist, and a few ethereal dice whirled through the air, and both Eric and Edgar spat, full of contempt, at the large, growling creature.

Eric moves within 30' of the Dire wolf who tripped Candace.

Edgar is riding on his shoulder, so he gets there automatically.
Eric:
Swift action to activate Lucky Dice Soulmeld:
[roll0] If the result is 7, Eric gains +1 to atk/dmg, +1 to saves and +1 to skill checks for 1 round. If it isn't 7, he just gains +1 atk/dmg.

Standard action to activate Dissolving Spittle.
[roll1] Ranged touch
If hit, deal
[roll2] acid damage

-------------------
Edgar activates Lucky Dice and Dissolving Spittle just like Eric.
LD: [roll3]
Spit:
[roll4] ranged touch
If hit: [roll5] acid damage

The attack rolls do not account for the -4 penalty for firing into melee

Stats:
Eric HP 7/7
AC 15 (Flatfooted 13 Touch 11)
Fort +3
Ref +2
Will +2

Spells left:
4/5 Cantrips
3/4 1st-level

Edgar:
AC 19 (Flatfooted 17 Touch 14)
HP 3/3
Fort +2
Ref +4
Will +2

Hazzardevil
2011-03-04, 11:59 AM
I imagine I'd be about 10 ft behind Candace since If i'm too far back It takes me too long to reach the front.

Derick moves behind the wolf that tripped Candace and I turn invisible to

Mechanics:
No spot check is nessecery since I moved within 10 ft before stealthing.
I then use Backstab to attack the wolf.
Attack:

Critical Confirm:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll]1d6+4*1.25 1d4 up one dice into 1d6 with ambush then +4 damage from dex.
Ambush:
[roll2]

if I get a critical hit, (times 3 damage,) then my damage is multiplied but I don't think my ambush is, you'll have to ask the mighty creator about that,

Amnestic
2011-03-04, 02:16 PM
Seeing that Candace had recieved all the assistance she would need, Carin drew he sword up, runes flaring brightly in the darkness, and charges towards the other wolf. Channelling the raw energies of her blade, she thrusts her hand outwards, calling down a pillar of frost upon it.

I'm assuming I'm within 20ft of the other wolf. Not really sure about distances here?

Anyway:

Icy Touch: Cost- 1 Frost Rune.
[roll0] Frost Damage, applies Frost Fever to the target. DC 15 Fort save halves damage, does not negate Frost Fever application.

Carin Stats:
HP: 11/11
AC: 15
Fort: +5
Refl: +1
Will: +0
Runes Available: BBFUU
Runic Power: 10/100.

BlueWizard
2011-03-04, 04:24 PM
Agathe will be amazed to see these wolves crossed that 60 foot distance with ease even in the rough terrain. Well, one did, the other slipped and fell, like an old one-eyed LARGE dog. The old Wolf fell after going 20 feet. Agathe can position herself for her careful strike.

Derick will be amazed that this wolf bigger than a horse took down his friend from the streets right before him. He knows a mammal has a heart, and he can easily step to flank this wolf pinning his friend. {OOC- He can go invisible and attack in same round?} In the wet and shadowy light... from Candace's shutter lantern... which is now in danger of going out since it has been knocked to the ground. {OOC- Forgot to mention need for light, and will assume other PCs could've had chance to have some sort of light that would work. Unless there is a plan to approach in dark, but that would provide problems for many of you. If so, Candace will have her lantern off.}
FUMBLE!!!
Derick doesn't plant his foot well, and slips out of sight to some of you in the party as he falls behind the dire wolf pinning Candace. At the moment he is sitting on the forest floor next to the black spotted wolf, and managed to keep hold of his chakram without losing it in the woods.

The rain is giving everyone trouble, and it seems even Kekyn's aim is effected. Derick will notice a small bolt of electricity arc over him and the large wolf as the shaman's energy unfortunately missed.
{The DC seems high on the thunderstorm, though the wolf actually rolled 19. 10+1/2HD+Wis? Half of who's HD? This power seems to be especially overpowered as a swift action, and that it is d6 per level, and can toss someone 20 feet.}
The wolf gets zapped a little, but resists being thrown back.

Eric and Edgar are feelin'... lucky.
Finally, someone causes the wolf some pain, as Eric spray acidic spittle from his mouth unto Spots. This causes the thinner sleeker wolf to howl in pain.

Candace is still alive even as Spots tries to chew on her. She is much tougher than she might seem, but her fancy black leather suit is starting to look torn up. These two will continue to struggle, with much damage being done to Candace, but she still lives.

Old One-Eye continues his struggle to come at you through the forest, he seems to have slipped again, and howls out angrily.

End Round 1----------------------------------------------------->

Initiatives:
Agathe 9+3
Derick 7+4
Carin 9+1
Kekyn 6+2
Eric 2+2 Lucky +1 atk/dmg
Dire Wolves:
Spots
One-Eye

Aldgar
2011-03-04, 04:51 PM
Eric grimly continues to spit acid at the dire wolf that is munching on Candace, hoping he can kill it fast enough...

OOC:
Eric and Edgar do their usual attack routine again:

Swift to activate Lucky Dice for +1 atk/dmg, then standard for spit. Move action will be left unused.

Eric:
[roll0] Lucky dice

[roll1] ranged touch
If hit: [roll2] acid dmg

Edgar:
[roll3] Lucky dice

[roll4] +3 = 17 ranged touch
If hit: [roll5] acid dmg

#EDIT: Dang, Edgar's attack bonus ought to be +6, not +3. Still, the raven likely hits for minimum damage. :smallfrown:

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-04, 07:54 PM
Oh, I believed the wolf & Candace were grappling and that Agathe would incur a 50% chance of striking the wrong target.
Roll for readied-action:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Agathe looses a flechette at the wolf the moment it recoils from Candace. The huntress fixes her dead eyes on the old wolf's remaining one. She draws and looses a fresh arrow in his direction. Agathe does not let the shot capture her mind, staying alert in the clashing downpour. She brushes aside the flap of her coat, baring the hatchet slung through her belt.

{Standard action to attack. If the wolf is within 30' when her turn begins, Agathe will spend her move action to apply Careful Shot. Otherwise she'll spend it to ready-action drawing her axe (in the event of a charge).
Attack: [roll2]}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-04, 07:55 PM
Oops, Damage: [roll0] (+4?)

Hazzardevil
2011-03-05, 03:01 AM
Damage again:
[roll0]
*1.25=6, google it if you don't belive me.

Where did I roll a fumble? Ambush is like sneak attack, if I roll a 1 I just do one damage. Also I can turn invisible but if I move within 10 ft of something they get a spot check to notice me, They didn't get too here because I was already within 10 ft.
And I can only move 1/3 of my movement.

BlueWizard
2011-03-05, 11:07 PM
OOC- I allow some retro-actions, or say if DM missed something, if there are minor fixes I will do a little time-travel if needed.
Candace is pinned and bitten, with apparently no chance of getting up.

Retro action: Agathe had taken aim, and can see this through her rainy vision. {Even with the trees providing cover there is likely water dripping over her face.} The flechette shot from her bow pierces the sleeker wolf and she howls aloud, but not yet letting Candace go with its mouth.

Derick is totally in stealth mode and none of you see him, however you did hear a crunching noise as he slipped and fell, though none of you saw it. {DM action} Derick rolls up and because of his stealth, and the arrogance of this 9 foot wolf, the wolf allows itself to be flanked, and even seated Derick can attempt to stab the wolf's heart.
He is successful, the wolf gasps and grunts, and collapses dying onto Candace.

The wolf with black spots on its back is not a threat now. The older greying wolf is flaming mad and growling angrily. Carin {DM action} moves to ready an attack against the older wolf, but she will stumble in the weather. {She loses the attack, but not her weapon, and will set-up in a circle around the old wolf as it comes.}

Kekyn {DM action} will attack the old wolf elementally on its charge, and likely hurt it some, but won't kill it. {OOC- Here again I will allow a retro, since I don't fully understand the shaman's 'moves'. Once again for now the swift moves are allowed, I okay'd the PCs, so I must deal with it.:smallwink:} {d: ?}

Eric and his raven, Edgar are having an acid spitting contest, aiming at the charging greying wolf. Eric's shot sizzles a tree in front of him, and the raven's successful acid spit merely burns a tiny hole in the grey-white fur.{d:3}

Agathe draws her axe seeing that the older wolf might finally have his bearings together. She can even take a swipe as it runs by toward its mate. Agathe only nicks the old fellow. {d:5}

Derick is sure he is in stealth mode, and he would pray this great dire wolf charged elsewhere. In a violent bound, the mighty one-eyed canine leapt straight at Derick, as his new companions did what they could to slow it, he was in luck at the moment for the wolf instead dove straight at Candace as she emerged from the fine sleek dead wolf.

Candace's eyes open with fear, as the bloody woman pushes her way up from the large dead wolf. Her legs still trapped as she is pulling herself out, the old wolf clamps onto her chest and belly takes a bite, and opens her up. She is not alive too long, but screams horribly. Coin and gems spray everywhere, though most of it could be found with a careful search. Candace is dead, and the bloody face of the wolf looks around at all of you ready for a feeding frenzy. If a wolf could be berzerk, this one with now a red-frothing mouth could be....

End Round 2------------------------------------>

Initiatives:
Derick 7+4
Carin 9+1
Kekyn 6+2
Eric 2+2 Lucky +1 atk/dmg
Agathe
Spots- deceased via Derick stab
One-Eye -old dire wolf- but strong!

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-06, 02:09 PM
Agathe charges after the wild dog. She lashes out with the mindless savagery of instinct. A low, hungry growl rattles in her rotting throat.

{Charge and Savage strike for +2 attack, 1d6+1 damage, -2 AC. If by Agathe's turn Carin or Derick are flanking One-Eye, another +2 to attack.
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]}

Aldgar
2011-03-07, 10:02 AM
The acid spitting contest continues, as both Eric and Edgar try to kill the remaining dire wolf before sharing Candace's fate...

OOC:

Repeat last round's actions, with One-Eye as target.

Eric:
[roll0] Lucky Dice -> ERIC gets +1 to atk/dmg, saves AND Skill checks for 1 round !
[roll1] Ranged touch attack
[roll2] acid damage

Edgar:
[roll3] Lucky Dice
[roll4] Ranged touch attack Critical Threat!
[roll5] acid damage

Aldgar
2011-03-07, 10:04 AM
Critical confirmation for Edgar:
[roll0]
Possible Extra Damage:
[roll1]

Amnestic
2011-03-07, 01:03 PM
Carin, a little annoyed at her percieved ineffectualness thus far, charges full pelt at the remaining wolf at full sprint.

If:
Path is unobstructed+Enemy is within 40ft,
Then:
Charge+Power Attack'd Plague Strike.
Attack:[roll0] (7, -1 from Power Attack, +2 from Charge)
Damage:[roll1] (1 from Power Attack, 7 from 1.5x Str Damage)
1 Unholy Rune cost, Carin -2 AC until next turn. Applies Blood Plague.

Else If:
Path is obstructed+Enemy is within 40ft,
Then:
Move 20ft towards enemy+Icy Touch.
Damage: [roll2]
DC 15 Fort save halves damage. Applies/refreshes Frost Fever.

Else If:
Enemy is not within 40ft,
Double move towards it and cool my heels, I guess. Maybe swear a little or something.

BlueWizard
2011-03-07, 05:48 PM
OOC- Again. Please note I miss things in Spoilers. No spoilers. I messed up things with Carin, but will attempt another retro. I'll figure these PCs out... one of these days.

Carin Retro:
Carin {1st round} had earlier chilled the Spotted wolf with a frosty chill, but still it was Derick who finishes it.

Carin {2nd round} will continue to unleash her chill, this time upon the only living one-eyed dire wolf, and caused some damage.

Kekyn's Electricity Retro:
This added cold damage helps, for Kekyn had also electrocuted old One-eye last round.

Derick still can flank his opponent, the one-eyed dog apparently has trouble seeing anything right now and seems purely driven on instinct. {DM action}
Derick's ambush misses, and the old wolf finally sees the rogue.

With all the added damage, Carin unleashes her Plague-Strike upon the old wolf. This attack finishes the last wolf, and it only whimpers weakly as it begins heaving and collapses from the plague that infects it rapidly. Pus will ooze from it, and the site looks like a biohazard even to untrained eyes.

End Combat------------------------------------>
{Those taking action after Carin can save their spells/mana or actions, however, there is activity in the distance, and the fire under the great tent is being extinguished. There is a great flurry of movement from the men in the distance about 600 feet from the site of this dire wolf battle. }

Agathe will barely spot small humanoid movements in the woods between you all and the excavation team. Kekyn will hear goblinoid voices whisper and see subtle goblin movements about 50 feet in the rain. Maybe 8 of them, some clumped?

You guys might be able to get the jump on them, and Kekyn can subtly alert her fellows of the hidden goblins slowly crawling toward you.

{OOC- Since your PCs have long been in training, this experience and teamwork has grown you in battle like no other time in your life. All the previous experiences and/or trainings will exude out of you. +1000 XP.
I usually don't do it like this, but most of you don't need rest to gain your spells anyway.... All PCs at 2nd level. Roll hit points twice, take best, reroll a 1.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-07, 08:17 PM
Agathe's grip on her bloody hatchet loosens. She holsters it along her belt delicately and crouches to recover her recurve bow. The ranger notches an arrow and takes aim on one knee.

When Agathe sees her companions heed Kekyn's alarm she draws and looses the missile with a cry of "Horrido!"

{Agathe will attack normally instead of creeping forward to set up a Careful Strike. If anyone wants to take move actions first, she'll delay for a round.
Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]}

Amnestic
2011-03-07, 10:44 PM
Carin feels a deathly chill overwhelm her, but not a bad one. She focuses upon it, draws power from it, taps into the energies behind it and allows it to fill her her. With this energy, she slams her gauntlet'd hand into the floor and in an impressive display of blue fire and bone, pulls a semi-rotten undead horse up from the ground below. It stands ready to fight, eyes burning with a fiery white/blue glow not unlike Carin's own eyes.

With her trusty steed at her side, she turns her focus to the approaching goblins. She feels the energies rush through her again as she beckons towards on. Purple energy wraps itself around the surprised goblin and yanks it through the sky, planting it directly in front of Carin. With an almost psychotic grin, she simply says "Destroy him." to her Deathcharger, instructing it to begin its assault; which it proceeds to do, laying into the goblin with all its strength.

Free Action:
Remember I have presences to activate. Stupid Amnestic.
Activates Frost Presence:
+10% damage from abilities, +10% Runic Power generated.

Standard Action:
Summon Acherus Deathcharger.
Stats:

Size/Type: Large Undead
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6+2 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+8
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+6) and bite +1 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Immunities: Undead immunities
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 13, Con --, Int --, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: --
Feats: RunB

Bolded entries are modified by Corpsecrafter feat. +4 Str, +2 hp/HD. Attack/damage bonuses also modified in bold for clarity.

Swift Action:
Death Grip nearest, unattacked Goblin.

Free Action:
Speak: Order my Acherus Deathcharger to full attack the goblin.

Acherus Deathcharger
Hoof1:-

Hoof2:-
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Bite:-
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Jarian
2011-03-07, 11:02 PM
Before alerting her companions of the danger, Kekyn makes a swift upward pulling motion, and a tiny pillar of earth rises from the ground. At once, Kekyn's skin, and that of her nearby companions, becomes as tough as stone. Kekyn then murmurs a word in the tongue of celestials, and her shield begins to glow a dull orange. (Prior to pointing out the goblins, Kekyn will, if possible, summon a Stoneskin Totem as a swift action, granting all allies within 30 feet of her position DR 1/-. If there's time, she'll also activate Flametongue Weapon on her shield.)

As the fighting begins, Kekyn hurls a bolt of lightning at one of the goblins (ranged touch attack: [roll0] for [roll1] +10% damage [Total damage after modifiers: 11]) then urges her wolfhound to guard her.

(Handle Animal for an amalgamation of the Ambush and Attack animal tricks, going for a readied action to attack anything that comes into melee range of Kekyn. DC 20: [roll2] If successful, wolfhound's attack, if the readied action triggers: [roll3] for [roll4] bite damage)

Cemal, caught up in the fury of the battle, ignores Kekyn's commands and instead growls savagely, raising his hackles but not moving into the desired defensive position.

Aldgar
2011-03-08, 01:41 AM
OOC:
Activating a Presence is a swift action. Either Death Grip or Frost Presence, but not both. However, since they last indefinitely, I think it's okay to assume you always have one presence active.

Eric casts Ghost Sound. If an Intimidate check is appropriate...
Lucky Dice for +1 to skills
[roll0]

[roll1] Intimidate

Edgar uses Lucky dice for +1 to atk/dmg, then readies a spit at the first enemy who comes within 30'.

[roll2] Lucky Dice
[roll3] Ranged Touch attack
[roll4] acid damage
---------------------------------

A feeling of impending dread creeps into Eric. The still bloody corpse of Candace lies just a few yards away, any hope of stealth of peaceful solutions was lost, and more bloodshed was ahead of them.

However, there was no time for mourning or second thoughts. If he did not want to perish as abruptly as their female guide, he would have to guard himself better.

Calling upon his arcane reserves, he declared in a thundering voice:
"It is a good day to die. Come, Death, and continue your harvest!"

-----------------------------------
Stats:

Eric
14/14 HP
AC 15
+3 Fort
+2 Ref
+3 Will

Spells left:
3/6 Cantrips
3/5 1st-level

Edgar:
7/7 HP
AC 19
+2 Fort
+4 Ref
+5 Will

Amnestic
2011-03-08, 01:44 AM
OOC: You are correct. Misread. Doy. Either we assume I had it up retroactively or I'll just throw it up next round. Either way, Death Grip is staying :smallamused: Thanks for the catch.

BlueWizard
2011-03-09, 06:04 PM
OOC- party will get jump on goblins, I am at work, but will use the actions above to figure out pc assault on gobos.
Sorry for delay. My Internet is back up.... At home.

BlueWizard
2011-03-10, 03:03 AM
Agathe fires when Carin begins summoning her Deathcharger. She is not used to this... current state she is in, and her shot sails high, over the well-hidden goblins in the shadows.

Kekyn has sometime to buff herself and the party, she will light her shield afire as Carin summons the powerful Acherus Deathcharger.

About the time Eric shouts, the goblins are already turning and running in horror.

The Acherus Deathcharger has no trouble in the rainy woods running down a fleeing goblin, and Kekyn will fry another with her electricity 'toss' briefly lighting up the area around it.

Cemal is a bigger, stronger version of a wolfhound to carry the 5'6" Kekyn. He easily resists her command. {OOC- Jarian: I actually like the way this worked -rolling and R-Ping-, since you can respond to some of your rolls quicker and even better than I.}
Cemal will be contented and perhaps even emboldened for future attacks as the goblins flee before Kekyn and his companions.

The raven, Edgar, can position himself near the goblins as they flee, and will find his well placed acid spit burns a goblin right in the face. It falls dying.

Eric will feel his shout had everything to do with helping aid the fleeing of the goblins.

DM notes: {This will aid me, and you guys, so we all can make sure the right buffs and effects are on.}
Carin's Acherus Deathcharger
Party: DR 1/-;
Kekyn: flametongued shield
Carin: Death-grip

Amnestic
2011-03-10, 01:36 PM
Carin sees the fleeing goblins and knows that one thing you never let an enemy do is get away; they always end up coming back, and in greater numbers. She channels the energy of undeath through her. With a cry of "Forward!" both she and her Deathcharger charge towards the fleeing goblins in the hopes of cutting them down before they can get away. Her Deathcharger reaches one first, flailing at the goblin with its hooves; Carin opts for a longer ranged assault before she can close the gap. Grasping at the air, she focuses an icy column above the goblin which proceeds to break apart and rain shards down upon him, cutting at him here and there.

Swift Action (Carin):
Active Unholy Presence. +10' speed, +10% Runic Power Generated.

Move Action (Carin):
Move towards the goblins.

Standard Action (Carin):
Icy Touch the goblin. [roll0] damage. DC15 Fort save halves, inflicts Frost Fever.

Full Round Action (Deathcharger):
Charge at the Goblin. Move towards it, then attack.
Attack: [roll1]
Deathcharger suffers -2 AC until the next turn.

Carin:
Runic Power: 11/100.

Death Grip Cooldown: 1/3 Rounds, unless the goblin dies in which case it's cooled down and ready to use once more.

The Deathcharger is likely out of range of Kekyn's Stoneskin totem. Carin might be *almost* out of range, and likely will be so next turn.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-10, 05:15 PM
Without a sense of her body, Agathe often remained unconscious to the fortitude of her undead flesh. Frustrated with the twig in her hands, Agathe stalks forward. The predator draws her carving knife. A part of her wished for the barrel & muzzle hanging over her family's hearth, the rest of her was exhilarated to death.

{It was a dark & stormy Spot check:[roll0]
Double move in the direction of the gobbos, Spot for any ambushes, draw dagger as free action combined with a regular move}

BlueWizard
2011-03-11, 05:38 AM
The deathcharger can easily run down and crush the remaining 3 goblins. Carin will slip long before she catches up with a goblin.

In the distance it seems the man in the tall pointy white hat has fled.

The fire is put out, and it is dark ahead, but it was clear that several of the humans {or humanoids?} working or at the tent were now making their way toward you. With the movement of both parties, and those with 'life-sight' can see through the rain, the enemy is about 350 feet away through the rainy forest.

The enemy started moving early in your actions, and they seem to be able to see in this dark forest.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-11, 01:15 PM
Agathe, on point, draws up her cloak and turns back.

"Our employer's demise beggars a review of our circumstances. If we kill them now, with our own guide dead, who will lead us to the ruins? Are we to just hike back to town? I don't know what we seek, but for another 50 platinum; I'll make an effort to find it. Should we pursue or turn back to where Candace made camp?"

Agathe was quietly anxious. Cowardly brigands. Perhaps the goblins had lead half their party to slaughter just so they could pick off a dead rogue. The silent revenant stares into the eyes of her blinded compatriots. How many among these 'adventurers' were just as honorable?

BlueWizard
2011-03-12, 07:42 AM
The figures, maybe eight of them fan out, though a group of about 4 rough, strong looking figures with picks and shovels leads the charge. Those with the best vision in the rainy night will see these are not humans. All four are orcs, and they are having trouble running in the rain, and do fall and slide along some, but they continue getting closer.

{OOC- Orcs aren't unheard of in these mercanary rich lands of Diamondell. Though it is odd that orcs protect something this vehemently in these Northern human/goblinoid lands.}

Hazzardevil
2011-03-13, 04:29 AM
Carin, can you speak with the undead? Maybe we could have one of them lead us there dead and unable to harm us.

BlueWizard
2011-03-13, 06:49 AM
The four orcs are rapidly approaching...

Within 60 feet! These buff orcs in muddy leather, raise their peasant weapons high to attack.

Initiatives:
Derick 16+4
Kekyn 16+2
Eric 12+2
4 Orc workers
Agathe 5+3
Carin 6+1
Others hidden, but coming... Carin will detect two in heavy armor spread out but very far behind orcs.
{OOC- DM must keep things moving. You will have had plenty of time to place yourself... or buff-up. Don't wait for others to post... better PC survival rates this way.}

Amnestic
2011-03-13, 07:02 AM
"I can talk to the dead. Dunno if any other than Agathe will speak ba- Wait. More enemies. Get ready." She flourishes her weapon and let the runes flare once more. Her Deathcharger lets out a furious fell screach, indicated it was ready to fight.

By "Don't wait for others to post... better PC survival rates this way." do you mean LordOfTheDucks/Agathe and I should be posting before the orcs too? :smallconfused:

BlueWizard
2011-03-13, 07:53 AM
do you mean LordOfTheDucks/Agathe and I should be posting before the orcs too?

OOC- Yes, desired outcome, as well as a few previous rounds if you want, these orcs have been approaching for a while. I figured you all were waiting for them.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-13, 02:57 PM
Derick is still stealthed right? If he isn't I'll stealth him as a swift action. It's free.

If an Orc moves within 10 ft of him heres his hide check vs its spot, heck I'll roll 4 incase they all come within 10 ft of me.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
I have 100 energy because I think that the level up restored it to full and I think it would be full anyway.
I also prepare a standard action to stab an orc that might get too close.
Attack:
[roll4]
Confirm Crit:
[roll5]
Damage:
[roll6]
Ambush if I succeed on the hide check against it:
[roll7]
Sinister strike:
Total:
a whopping 12 if an Orc gets too close.

I then move 20 ft towards Agathe.

Amnestic
2011-03-13, 04:39 PM
Seeing the Orcs fast approaching, Carin takes the initiative and proceeds to use her Death Grip to ensnare one of the lighter armoured ones just as she had done with the goblins, pulling it towards her with startling speed. While in flight, she also drops her by now well practised column of ice on top of its head, freezing it to the bone. Once it finally ceases its forced movement in front of Carin, she steps around it and her Deathcharger proceeds to wail on it with hoof and teeth alike.

During pre-battle preparation, she activated Frost Presence (+10% ability damage, +10% Runic Power generated)

Swift Action:
Death Grip one of the lighter-armoured orcs straight in front of me.

Standard Action:
Icy Touch [roll0] damage, DC 15 Fort save halves, inflicts Frost Fever.

Move Action:
5' Step around the orc.

Acherus Deathcharger (now flanking!) full attacks the orc.
Deathcharger Stats:

Size/Type: Large Undead
Hit Dice: 1d12 (6+2 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+8
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+6) and bite +1 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Immunities: Undead immunities
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 13, Con --, Int --, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: --
Feats: RunB

Bolded entries are modified by Corpsecrafter feat. +4 Str, +2 hp/HD. Attack/damage bonuses also modified in bold for clarity.

Hoof1:

Hoof2
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Bite:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Carin:
Runic Power: 11/100.
Frost Presence Active

Death Grip Cooldown: 0/3 Rounds, unless the orc dies in which case it's cooled down and ready to use once more.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-13, 05:03 PM
Agathe let her query hang uncomfortably. The trampling of violent orcs broke the silence; an interruption which the leery forester nearly welcomed. She walks behind Carin and notches a fresh quarrel. Agathe regards the four figures lurking beyond the ill-equipped stooges.

The ranger takes a readied shot at the column of orcs. She stands in the shadow of Carin's deathcharger. The 'casual necromancy' of her compatriot alarmed Agathe, but until Candace's demise she had been too contracted to comment. In the midst of combat seemed equally inopportune.

{Edit: Oops, didn't see initiative. I imagine the orcs will have attempted to close the 60 ft. gap once initiative comes into play and Agathe will be able to take a Careful Strike. As for positioning, 5 ft. behind Carin's deathcharger; ready to take cover in-case the four in the distance try anything funny.

Attack: [roll0]+4 for [roll1]+4 against the first charging orc to look at 'er funny.}

BlueWizard
2011-03-13, 05:37 PM
{OOC- There was plenty of time to set up, so Derick is totally stealthed, and can even set up the best position he can in which to attack in these dangerous rainy conditions.}
Derick will notice the orc workers are intelligent to have spread out as they approached. One will travel 'too close' to him. And he will execute the orc swiftly and silently, and none of you are the wiser except the dead, who seem all too aware of the various life-forms moving about in these wet conditions. {1 Orc worker dead.}

Kekyn will have moved and sent a bolt of electricity. She will have fired a couple already, and on this round fells another orc through some 'shock' therapy. {DM action}

Eric and his raven, Edgar will spray dissolving spittle on a third orc worker, and he is burnt horribly, but this orc will not die. {DM action}

The two orc workers keep running, the injured one will slip, fall and break his neck tripping on a stump. Leaving you all with only one visible orc running into your party. He will just reach Eric spitting acid at his fellow, and will clip him with a shovel. The last orc will be nearby Eric and possibly others. {d:3}

Agathe's shot strikes the last orc in the leg, as it slams a shovel into Eric.

Carin and her Deathcharger will execute easily the last orc as they crush it between them.

There are more foes coming.
A ghostly hand appears near Kekyn, it grasps her chest and and steals lifeforce from her. {Causing Wounds!}

A throwing star will drop the electricity controlling shaman. She falls immediately near you. Kekyn is now dying on the raining forest floor with a thin metal shard sticking out of her back, and a ghostly hand hovering above her. Derick will recognize a different version of the Spectral hand. It is not arcane magic, but divine.

Carefully approaching about 100 feet away are the two armored fellows, who are now seen to be orc as well. It is hard to see, but one orc looks bad ass in his white armor tromping toward you. The fellow about 30 feet to his side, wears white priest robes over his armor, but has no fancy tall hat, only a metal white cap.

End Round 1------------------------------------------------>

Initiatives:
Derick 16+4
Kekyn 16+2 hp -3
Eric 12+2 hp 11/14
Agathe 5+3
Carin 6+1

Amnestic
2011-03-13, 05:49 PM
Carin sees Kekyn go down and immediately dashes over to attempt to heal her. Meanwhile her Deathcharger charges off to attack the orc in fancy white priest robes.

Move to Kekyn
Heal Check to Stabilise Kekyn (DC15)
[roll0]

Deathcharger:
Charges at the Orc in white robes
Hoof-
Attack: [roll1](including +2 from Charge)
Deathcharger has -2AC until next turn.

I've got a Potion of CLW in my belt, so I'll force that down her throat next turn. Takes a full round action since she's unconscious though, so it'll have to wait.

Edit: Also, one touch spell and one shuriken dealt 22 damage in total? Jeebus.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-13, 07:27 PM
Agathe scans the brush for the source of the throwing star. She fires another arrow; into the distance or into the brush, depending on what catches her eye.

{Spot check to see who threw the throwing star: [roll0]
If she spots whoever downed Kekyn, she'll attack, [roll1] for [roll2], apply Careful Strike if they're within 30 ft. If Agathe cannot find the sniper, apply the same roll to a shot at the orc in priest robes.}

Jarian
2011-03-14, 01:03 AM
Kekyn

Kekyn's eyelids flutter as a small trickle of blood runs out the side of her mouth. A wet, rasping breath escapes her lips as her body struggles to hold on to life. It's hard to tell, but it seems like she might be opening her mouth expectantly.

Stablize! [roll0] - Nope. -1 hp. Potion gogo!

BlueWizard
2011-03-14, 03:22 PM
Derick is incredible in his stealth-mode, and is invisible as he stalks the enemy in the rainy woods... {DM action}

Kekyn bleeds.... Cemal will pull Kekyn to safety.

Eric and his raven will move to where they can spit acid on the priestly looking orc in white robes. Once again his raven, Edgar, is more effective than he, but the Raven's spittle only annoys the on-coming orc-priest who wields a heavy pick. {DM action}

Agathe will spy some black-clad ninja in the trees in the shadows, really hard to see about 200 feet away, his shruiken toss was incredible. Her own shot will miss the difficult to spot ninja. He is dressed similar to Candace, but this guy moves like something few of you have ever seen or heard of... except Derick who seems to know a lot of things.

Carin attempts to save Kekyn's life, and will find her undead instincts are all wrong... Her Deathcharger slides into the rainy woods in an incredible feat of athleticism, it slams into the orc priest, but he is able to brace his chest plate for the impact.

Derick had heard of the Void, a growing faith of faithless priests, who believe in the all-consuming Void, and especially the destruction of the arcane. He will recognize the black circle holy symbol hanging from the priest's neck, as well as the orc Void-knight with the long-sword and shield.

The orc-priest imbues his heavy pick with dark Void energies, and takes a swipe at the Deathcharger. He misses and snarls in frustration, the Void energies fade from the heavy pick with the failed attack.

The Void Knight moves past the Deathcharger and will keep moving toward the party, he holds a crossbow too, it is now seen. Other previous shots were far from accurate you barely noticed, this one clatters off Carin's armor. The knight will drop the crossbow, and display his long sword and begin running now about 70 feet away in the rainy woods.

A stealthy orc wearing mithril chain, bearing two long swords flips down about 30 feet away. He fumbles, falls on his ass, and tosses his long swords all over the place. He groans in pain, and the Void-Knight orc laughs heartily.

The ghostly hand has not left, instead it seeks out the acid-spitting sorcerer. It grasps him {d:13}, he will scream in pain and pass-out as a long-tossed ninja star comes in and whizzes by his ear and misses. Egdar at this point of his fluttering around spitting acid will spot the man in the pointy hat . "Pointy hat! Pointy hat!!! And another skinny foreigner!" Edgar is very concerned about his sorcerer, but knows survival of his allies is key here.

End Round 2-------------------------------------->

Initiatives:
Derick 16+4
Kekyn 16+2 hp -4
Eric 12+2 hp -2/14
Agathe 5+3
Carin 6+1
The Voidites

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-14, 05:25 PM
Agathe trains her sights on the stumbling orc. She draws her recurve tight and fires at the near target's chest.

{Careful Strike as move action, Attack the mithril-shirt wearing orc [roll0] for [roll1]}

Amnestic
2011-03-14, 11:00 PM
"Incredible"? I'll bloody say. :smalltongue: More like impossible. Thrown weapons have a maximum range of 5xRange Increment, which in the Shuriken's case is 10ft, which means he stood 150ft further than his maximum range!

Ignoring the crossbow bolt ricocheting off her armour, Carin tugs the potion from her belt and trickles it down Kekyn's throat, healing her and stopping the bleeding. Meanwhile her Deathcharger gives chase to the Void Priest, intending to run him down.

Potion of CLW on Kekyn, heals [roll0]. Stabilises her however much health she has.

Deathcharger charges down the Void Priest.

Jarian
2011-03-14, 11:18 PM
"Mmphfvemorminits..."

Kekyn continues to lay unconscious on the ground, while Cemal stands watch over her.

BlueWizard
2011-03-16, 01:46 AM
Derick {DM action} will see that Carin's Deathcharger will likely finish the priest, so he makes his way to the arrogant, over-confident, slowly approaching Void Knight, that has now sprinted toward the party on a crazed charge. The sprint will be right by Derick as he holds...

Kekyn is dying... but this is the point she remembers the dream. She's in a forest... and just where is the throwing-star that thudded in her back?

Eric turns more white as life-slips from him...

Agathe can see the orc ranger broke his leg on the jump from the tree, and was already bleeding out the leg from the fall. She will hit him with ease, right in the chest. The orc-ranger will fall unconscious, near his twin long swords an arrow in his chest.

Carin could see the distant ninja, and the physics confused her. This helped her see behind the strange illusion. A form of psionic-sonic vibration, that even played with her undead mind for a moment. She will feed the potion to Kekyn, and she will awaken. She too will feel no shruiken, but will feel a bruise. She is still chilled by the ghostly hand's touch, but Kekyn is back! {She can ready herself for actions next round, if needed.}

The Deathcharger battles the priest, and finds his plate armor formidable against its charge.

The Void Knight runs right by Derick without seeing him, and is pained as the rogue gets him deep in the side. But, not deep enough! "Garrhhhhhh!!!" The orckin Void Knight will stop and turn to face Derick, and slip and fall on his ass, sliding about 20 feet away into a tree as he was running top speed in these difficult conditions now. Derick may be relieved for the Void Knight was charging his sword with a powerful Void energy, more permanent than the priest's empowerment.

The orc priest has as much difficulty fighting the deathcharger, and will do so, but harms it not.

The ninja seems to see that his ruse is up, and makes a flipping retreat back into the treetops, and lands the jump out of sight in the rain!
This retreat will be in the direction that Edgar the Raven spots the pointy hat and the skinny foreigner.

The orc ranger is unconscious, but groans in his sleep. His left leg looks mangled.

The ghostly hand will move to the fallen priest, and before your eyes steal the young man's life. You will almost see the smoky spirit get sucked into the hand in the DEATH KNELL. Eric gasps his last breath...

End Round 3---------------------------------->

Initiatives:
Eric Deceased
Agathe 5+3
Carin 6+1
Kekyn hp 5/19
Derick
The Voidites

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-16, 03:34 AM
Agathe's attention turns from the downed ranger to the melee between Derick and the orc. She fires a parting shot at the distracted Void Knight. The undead forester advances toward her previously downed target {Where is he in relation to the rest of pointy-hat's party? If he's between the direction of white hat & ninja, Agathe will stay her move action.}

{Attack [roll0] for [roll1] and possible move action. Agathe will ready a 'draw weapon' action, in-case anything creeps to close, if she has a move action to spare.}

BlueWizard
2011-03-16, 05:11 AM
The orc ranger came at you from YOUR right as you face against the enemy coming from the 'dig-site'. The high level priest and ninja seem to be toward your left. Void Knight and Orc Priest came roughly in a straight line at you from the dig-site.

{OOC- We'll figure it out. It is also dark, shady, and rainy here, so some of my placement descriptions are purposely vague. Agathe's view of the ninja, was mostly stealthy looking shadows moving around high in the trees.}

Amnestic
2011-03-16, 10:02 AM
Satisfied that Kekyn is safe once more, Carin turns back to the combat. Turning to the priest harassing her Deathcharger, she yanks him towards her and slashes down at him, hoping to pierce his defenses. Her Deathcharger follows suit, rushing the priest from behind.

Swift Action:
Death Grip the Priest.

Standard Action:
Plague Strike on the Priest.

Applies Blood Plague on hit.

Deathcharger:
Charges the Priest
Attack: [roll2] (2 from Charge, 2 from flanking)
Damage: [roll3]

Runes Remaing: BBFU
Runes on Cooldown: 1 F (Cooled down next turn), 1 U (4 rounds left)
Runic Power: 22/100 (if I hit with Plague strike, else, 11/100)

Death Grip Cooldown: 0/3, unless the priest dies after I hit it in which case it's ready to use again.

Jarian
2011-03-16, 01:55 PM
Kekyn

Wiping flecks of frothed blood from her lips, Kekyn places both hands to her chest, and a flare of green light erupts from beneath her fingers, sealing the worst of her wounds. Cemal continues to stand guard over her, wary of any attempt to strike her while she's down.

Healing wave for [roll0] healing.

BlueWizard
2011-03-17, 05:16 AM
{OOC- I am not seeing the dice in the posts, so the PCs are getting the benefit of the OOTS error... but I must post when I can.}

Agathe's shot will graze the tripped-up Void Knight, but he is healthy and clearly buffed on spells. At the moment Agathe is in a good position of safety.

Carin and her Deathcharger will put an end to the arcane-hating orc priest; suffering him with some plague before the Deathcharger tramples his face and form in.

Kekyn's healing wave effects all... {OOC- Even undead? Well I guess Carin is only partially counting. Does this healing still effect Carin and Agathe? Not that it matters at the moment. :smallwink:}

Derick {DM action} is swift on his attack on the slipped-up orc, and will execute him with a swift chop into the back of his neck. The orc Void Knight drops his sword, and the Void energy dissipates from it.

At this point the ninja will disappear, and Edgar will caw: "The pointy hat and skinny foreigner flee on a Nightmare!!" Only Derick knows what that is too.
{OOC- Some uneducated PCs around here.... :smallbiggrin:}

End Combat------------------------------------------------------------->

Voidites- retreat!!

Unless you want to pursue the remaining Voidites, you have won the battle, but took a loss. Unfortunately, Eric also fell into a muddy pit, and sunk out of sight. Edgar the Raven will caw mournfully on a branch over the muddy pit where Eric is now buried.

In the rainy downpour you will hear a distant whinny, and clopping of powerful hooves.

{OOC- Your PCs will need rest, but go ahead and take 3000 xp. By morning, your minds will be attuned to the next level of your skills.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-17, 06:21 AM
Agathe continues to walk toward the downed ranger. She frisks his mithril shirt for valuables, running her unfeeling hands across the chain-link armor with some appreciation for the craftsmanship.

The Forsaken ranger keeps an eye on the ragamuffin band of marauders Candace had assembled. Agathe fixes her cold stare on Carin; necromancer.

{Search... don't need a roll probably, seeing as we're not under any rush. And can't.}

Amnestic
2011-03-17, 06:45 AM
Carin begins to pick and poke at the fallen priest, noting that his armour is probably more effective than her own, while searching for any other valuables. The hairs of the back of her neck prick up as she notices she's being watched, taking a look around, her eyes meet Agathe's. "Can I help you?"

What loots did we get from our fallen enemies?

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-17, 10:59 AM
Carin's glowing orbs reflect off the luminescent gloss over Agathe's dead sockets. The eerie flash of a lantern caught in a cat's eye.

"Our late employers may have tolerated your necromancy, knave, but I won't."

Agathe's rasp is flat, betraying no emotion or intent. She crouches over the fallen orc, outlined by the freezing drizzle pattering against her heavy cloak and gray flesh. In the folds of her cloak, a cold palm lays on her hatchet. Reflex.

{Kekyn's heal only has a single, I think. She doesn't get a chain heal until later.}

Amnestic
2011-03-17, 12:47 PM
"Ooh, knave. Lah-dee-dah." Carin replied in a bemused tone. "I didn't ask for these powers, but I'm not gonna shy away from usin' 'em. Considering your own...condition, your aggression towards my abilities seems a bit bleedin' weird. Besides..." Her Deathcharger wanders over and Carin rests her hand against its bony face. "They're quite useful, no?"

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-17, 02:30 PM
"Don't compare me to your rotted pets. I'll never be a necromancer's puppet again."

Agathe was really beginning to wish she had the family musket. The dark knight and her charger were the least of Agathe's worries though. In the backwoods of the Outer Empire, in the slowly-dwindling company of marauders, scrambling to piece together a job at the behest of a Thieves' Guild. While death robbed Agathe of her carnal senses outright, she was at a loss for how she had grown so daft to her sensibilities.

"You can make your sick toy useful by hoisting this fool up onto it," she gestures to the orc at her feet.

"This one's still alive. If we're going to figure out just where this relic hunt's leading, I'd rather we were in a pitched camp. And if we're pitching camp, I'd rather it were by where Candace fell."

Amnestic
2011-03-17, 02:50 PM
Carin simply shrugged. "I was going to suggest heading back to town and reacquiring our bearings where it's relatively safer, but if we must camp in the wilderness, I suppose we must." She picks up the orc Agathe is referencing and throws him over the back of her Deathcharger. It grunts a little at the sudden weight, but stands tall. She tosses the rest of the dead orcs onto it while she's there. If she's going to loot them, may as well be at camp rather than sat in the wilderness. Her Deathcharger could take the weight easily.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-17, 03:19 PM
Sorry guys, computer broke and I've been restricted quite a lot over the ast few days.

Derick takes a look at this orc,
I reckon I could torture him into telling us where it is.
Or shall we just ask him nicely?

Jarian
2011-03-17, 03:29 PM
With a murmured word of caution, Kekyn lays her hands on the wounded orc. A faint glow shines from her fingertips, slowly seeping into the creature's body, ceasing the flow of blood but overall not doing much for its wounds.

Satisfied that she's saved the creature's life, for however long that is intended to be, Kekyn makes a swirling gesture with both hands, as if rolling a large ball between them. A blue glow coalesces out of nothingness, slowly becoming the form of an angelic creature made entirely out of unmoving water - not ice, simply magically solidified water. At once, a wave of relief begins to slowly ease the wounds of her allies.

Healing Wave for [roll0] healing.

Summon a Healing Stream Totem, which should bring everyone back up to full health before too long. 1hp/round until we're healed. The orc is not an ally, and does not benefit from this healing.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-17, 03:44 PM
"Manners, boy. You'll catch more rabbits with salt licks than snares," Agathe answers Derick.

BlueWizard
2011-03-18, 02:06 AM
As the party carefully gathers things up and searches the enemy for clues and loot, some time will pass. You are tired from your fight, but since you all slept late this particular day, you can push on into the early hours of the morning if you want....

It is about 1:30 am when you are done looting.

The Score: {assuming someone has some magical detection...}
Orc Priest- deceased: trampled plate mail, could be hammered into shape by a blacksmith. Heavy Pick- not magical. 50 gold ,black circle holy symbol

Orc Void Knight- deceased: full plate, bulky medium size, would need to be refitted also. Magical longsword- impressively powered. Normal large shield, white with black void circle. Another black circle holy symbol, a gem pouch

4 Orc Workmen {3 deceased; 1 unconscious stablized}:
Picks, Shovels, and combined 152 copper.

Orc Ranger- at 0 hit points: 2 long swords- one is magical, mithril chain; 250 gold

Candace- very deceased: shredded leather armor-useless; silver long sword, lots of gems, some platinum and gold. Gems are less value in North. In Empire, they are worth book prices.
{Gems will need to be better analyzed out of darkness and rain.}
A wet, soggy note, found stuck in bloody muck, that was her backpack:

Dame Candace,

Your recent exploits have been noted in the Old Empire's North. I am sure your family will return to power some day. I am confident your new crew will succeed where your past group failed.

I am forwarding the amount for each of the new 'members' with my messenger.
1000 gold pieces should be able to fund quite an expedition into old.....

{The message smears here, but the bottom has some remnant of the Signature. This much is clear:}

.........................Ibis of Megna
{A fine blue dragon royal seal is stamped near the name. The only thing not smudged on the note, is the fine detailed embossed blue-dragon seal.}

Judging by the coin and the low value of the many gems found it is clear Candace spent or lost much of the payment. {~50 gems?; 120 platinum, 155 gold}

Cemal will nudge Kekyn, and show her an ancient stone gazebo that somehow survived out in the woods. It is partially broken, well-used as a shelter, possibly by trappers or hunters. It is grown over with vines, and trees, and a small opening allows one to get inside. Cemal will eagerly plead with Kekyn to lead the group this way.

Returning to the 'town' of Diamondell is possible, and only an hour and a half walk. You can avoid the bog with the hungry corrupted dire Croc.

{Whereever the orc-ranger is healed... and assuming he is stripped and tied.}
The orc will awaken with a start and look fearfully at the fellows gathered over him. He will stare fascinated at the totem as it heals you all. "The priest will return with more followers. There are many who are coming. You are not the first." He speaks in rough imperial-common with a thick orcish accent.

Amnestic
2011-03-18, 02:33 AM
"More followers like you and your dead comrades over there? I'm shaking in my little booties." Carin mocks. "Maybe if they're especially scary, they won't just fall on my sword and under the feet of my steed. At this point you've got two options: You can tell us what we want to know or you can become useless to us, which puts you back into 'threat' territory. Don't think I need to explain what happens then, but I will say it's going to be very painful."

Total Intimidate Check:
[roll0]

Jarian
2011-03-18, 02:56 AM
Kekyn stares calmly into the orc's eyes for nearly a full minute without blinking. She doesn't appear angry, but a stare of such a length is bound to be unsettling regardless.

At last, she speaks in a low, confidential whisper, tipping her head to one side curiously as she calls swirls of electricity to whirl around her outstretched hand, and tiny flames to dance between her fingertips, one of which slowly draws a line in the air from the orc's stomach to the floor. "Have you ever felt the fire of the sun burn a hole through your stomach, friend? Through your stomach and on, all... the way... through...

No? I should think it is not very pleasant. Perhaps you will tell us what you know, then, so that I am not tempted to let you find out."

Aid Another Initimidate: [roll0]

Edit: +2 to Carin's Intimidate.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-18, 03:28 AM
Agathe watches her cohorts threaten the helpless, fearful orc. She could recognize a cornered beast. She could count on one to desperately look for an escape too.

"More followers? If your rescue is so certain then you can hasten it. Lead us to them."

{Aid another to Carin's intimidate check:[roll0]
To boldly split infinitives where no infinitives have been split before}

Hazzardevil
2011-03-18, 04:34 AM
Now then Orc, I assume you have heard of a chakram.
A very messy and painful way to die. You have untill I count to 5 before I start to stab you with it.

Just so everyone knows I don't have a penalty on intimidate checks
[roll0]
Should I use the torture rules in BOVD.
This is a separate intimidate torture check.
It does [roll1] damage.

BlueWizard
2011-03-18, 05:17 AM
The Orc Ranger is very threatened, "What do you want to know? You know as much about the ruins as I do? We want the treasures before the rest of you looters. We're going to put this stuff into universities for study. For future generations!"

This orc is scared.

Amnestic
2011-03-18, 10:37 AM
"Numbers would be a good start. How many of you are there? What skills are we looking at? Any magic users? How many? What do you know about what is inside the ruins? Traps? Monsters?" She tickles her runeblade under the orc's chin, drawing just a spot of blood. "Do answer fast, won't you?"

BlueWizard
2011-03-18, 01:05 PM
"There are thousands of loyal orc Void-followers!! You won't be able to stop us! You may not believe this, but we will be all of your saviors." As to magic-users he froths angrily and spits. "Never! I wouldn't even feast upon their corrupting kind. They are the cause of these ruins. All sorts of aberrations down there, don't know much. But, that priest did. He knew everything. Said there was great human artifacts down there." He means the dead crushed orc priest.

Amnestic
2011-03-18, 02:18 PM
"Evidently intellect isn't your strong suit - something you have in common with the rest of the 'Void-followers' I'm sure. I don't care how many of you there are out there, Carin gestures wide and aimlessly, clearly indicating the world at large. "I want to know how many of you idiots are nearby, and how many we can expect to face in the near future; I only have so much sword polish."

Hazzardevil
2011-03-18, 04:30 PM
You know, Orc.
We only have so much patience and so much time when we won't be entertained.
Have you ever heard of a game called darts?
We take sharp objects like daggers and start throwing them at a target.
In this case you. So you had better tell us how many of your friends there are coming to be killed in a meatgrinder. Or you will die much more painfully.
Did you know, I have perfected a poison that makes you lose use of all your limbs permanantly, but doesn't stop you feeling any of that delicous pain.
I have used it on countless people and after 5 minutes they all start screaming.
Or maybe I will set off a thunderstone next to your ear?
That deafens you for a minute and damages your ear so much it bleeds. Then maybe I shall stick one of the spikes of my chakram in your ear?

Wow, I've just realised how depraved I can be.

2d4[/roll]
Just so you know, those d4's I'm rolling are damage I'm dealing to him in the torture.
Also, if I punch him unarmed normally I provoke an attack of oppurtunity. If I kick him in the groin, would that provoke one with him tied to the chair?

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-18, 06:43 PM
"Who said we were entertained?" Agathe piques, "Whether this orc provides the information we desire, leads us to their camp, he can only count on living so long as he remains useful."

BlueWizard
2011-03-19, 02:33 AM
Derick will put the orc under and into dying with any damage. Kekyn only JUST got this orc-ranger's health into the positive for the interrogation.

The orc does seem frightened of Carin's eyes and cannot look at them. But it is Derick's threats that keep his angered mouth moving. "Many will come. From many factions. The Void is merely the best and brightest. The Guild has trouble keeping a lid on truly rich discoveries. There could be anyone out here even dragons! This score is too big for one group. My master goes to seek more allies. He will come with what he needs!"
The orc giggles a bit as if he is enjoying this now.

Derick has heard that most people think Voidites are crazy. One of their biggest joy is watching a wizard burn in flames on a stake. This live execution is used in the height of many of their evil secret ceremonies. It is said, the louder the wizard screams, the higher ecstasy the priests achieve in their worship. Most wizards or arcanists around the Void end up missing for sure.

The orc registers what Agathe says and others have hinted at; he purses his lips tightly.
Any more pressure and he will say:
"Do you worst. I am ready to meet my maker. Are you?" He almost starts laughing and his eyes go a little goo-goo.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-19, 03:34 AM
Agathe lifts the orc off the charger and presses him against the skeletal mount. She slides the carving knife off her belt and into the orc's gut. Agathe cleans the cultist as she might a boar, putting her arm under the rope bindings and through the quivering flesh in a single motion. She pulls her blade from the orc ranger's throat, having plunged her arm completely through the hollowed chest.

{Coup de grace, don't need a roll thanks to Agathe's Str. mod. + x3 crit}

BlueWizard
2011-03-19, 03:44 AM
This form of execution is quite gruesome and painful, and the orc will gargle loudly, but shortly if not already out-cold from Derick's torture. As well as spill entrails all over the place.

{OOC- Move on, rest, retreat, divert... Where to now? :smallcool:}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-19, 04:31 AM
Agathe sets to untying the carcass. She stands up and picks the chain shirt off the stash of loot. She picks up the ranger's longsword as well. Turning to Derick she remarks, "If longswords aren't to your liking, rogue, I'll be taking this."

Amnestic
2011-03-19, 09:27 AM
"I think it might be best to rest here for tonight, and then head back to town for supplies once we have the sun on our side. We've been attacked in this darkness enough for one evening, I think. You never win any engagements when your cannons are empty and your food stores are low." Having stripped the dead orcs of their valuables and not-so-valuables, Carin drags the orcs outside and leaves them propped up against the wall as a clear warning to any who might wander nearby.

Jarian
2011-03-20, 01:43 AM
"Diamondell is near, if you would rather have the comforts of a bed. I have no objections either way."

Diamondell was noted as only being an hour and a half walk from the gazebo. Head there instead of waiting out in the middle of nowhere?

Doesn't matter to me either way. Cemal can take first watch, and Kekyn can take over after if you like.

BlueWizard
2011-03-20, 02:12 AM
Due to the amount of activity with the dead orcs Cemal and even the deathcharger would prefer the nearby encampment. Both have had enough of walking around in the muck.

The wall is a tangle of trees and vines that have grown up around this ancient stone gazebo. The bottom of it is covered, but on the inside you can see the fine threaded encircled colonnades, that ends in a fractured dome 20 feet up, that likely had a fine painting or mosaic upon it. The rest is blackened with the soot of many fires. There is some rain that gets in here, but it seems the vines inside are deigned to drain it off without flooding the soft mat of peat moss.

Your encampment will go well, however, assuming watches are set.
{OOC- We should soon work out sleeping arrangements, and perhaps even consider making out an official marching "order".}

The Deathcharger will not be able to get in, but will find a place to huddle under and help keep an eye out.

About 5:50 in the morning, Kekyn will be awakened by Cemal, who is alarmed by cawing birds, usually the sounds they make when city-folk approach.

By 6:15 both Derick and Kekyn will hear the sounds of riders approaching. But not toward you, though perhaps right-by you... You will have had plenty of time to set up, if Kekyn warns you.

The rain has stopped, though the trees still drip with rain, and it is muddy outside.

{The lay-out: You all approached this wood, from the East on the hillside that Candace led you down. The Void dig was toward the west from your approach. The remaining Voidites fled South -which could be another way to Diamondell proper. The gazebo is a bit north-east of the fight location. These riders come from the East on the hillside you came from. The hill is maybe ~2000 feet from the gazebo, but it is too woody to see through it.}

All your third level training and experience will kick in now, as your minds focus when you need them most. Cemal doesn't like what the birds sound like.

Jarian
2011-03-20, 06:20 AM
At the first notice of Cemal's insistent nudging in her side, Kekyn's eyes snap open. After a moment of silent conversation with the wolfhound, Kekyn nudges Carin in the side.

"Wake the others who do not need more rest," she whispers, then summons three whirling orbs of lightning that take up an orbit around her body and steps outside the gazebo to more closely listen to the birds.

If nobody needs further sleep for spells or the like, everyone should be ready when the riders approach.

Amnestic
2011-03-20, 08:17 AM
"Mrrfgrrrlrlrgstupivoidwonevenlemmesleep." Carin mumbles in response as she rolls over onto her front and stands to her feet, still a little groggy. She walks - stumbles - over to where Agathe and Derrick are and gives them a light tap with her boot to wake them up. "Under 'ttack 'gain. Let's get this over with." Carin turns and stretches as she locates her armour and slips it on, still grumbling a little about being woken up. Once she picks up her runeblade however, she feels her mind clear and her body start up proper.

She steps outside the gazebo and pats her Deathcharger on the head. With that done, she holds her hand out in front of her, palm downwards. Small tendrils of blue flame began to wrap themself around her arm, heading towards her hand, before falling downwards into the ground. With a low groaning and long moaning, a long, bony arm with claws shoots up from the ground and begins to pull itself clear. It takes only a few moments until her ghoul is stood ready, twitching its head this way and that. The ghoul is a mess of rotted flesh, bone and a few scraps of old clothing and stands at a decent 6' tall, even when hunched forward. "I'd like to get this done as quickly as possible if we could."

Agathe, as a Forsaken, doesn't need sleep and she's not a caster so she doesn't need the eight hours of uninterrupted rest. Perhaps it might be best to assign her to watch from now on? Kinda boring, but she's the most fitting given her...maladies. She can hang out with my other undead! :smallbiggrin:

BlueWizard
2011-03-20, 09:52 AM
You will be able to near the riders, and spy on them from the distance.

It appears to be eight knights of the Queen. Or some holy entourage, as they wear the blue surcoats with silver crests of the dragon over their various armors. These could be priests and soldiers, and yep... there seems to be a blue-robed wizard fellow riding in the rear of the group, with all sorts of silver symbols, planets, and decals decorating the blue felt.

{OOC- This is like the police showing up. They are unaware that you are watching them, and ride toward the supposed ruins.}

Jarian
2011-03-20, 10:12 AM
Kekyn shakes her head in silent warning, then raises a finger to her lips.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-20, 04:22 PM
From her perch on the gazebo's roof, Agathe stirs. The undead sentinel had kept watch through the night and now the blinding dawn drives Agathe into the shaded ruins.

"Well, the cavalry's arrived..." she whispers in observance from the ruins, "Should we tail them?"

Agathe counts the mounted escort, "Or hail them? That wizard may be here to oversee the quelling of this cult. Pointing his way to their dig site may win us a bounty."

{If the riders come upon the ruins before the group can reach a consensus, Agathe will hail the riders with an arrow tailed with a white rag, ripped from the most-white cloth she can get a hold of.}

Amnestic
2011-03-20, 08:33 PM
"I say we ignore and avoid them as best we can. Dealing with the authorities never ends well for me. They're just as likely to arrest us as help or reward us." Carin shifts uncomfortably. Last time she'd hung out with some 'authorities' she'd ended up in a rather smelly prison for a week before she was broken out. She didn't much look forward to the possibility of reliving those events a second time.

BlueWizard
2011-03-20, 09:50 PM
Agathe could SEE this group quite well through the woods. Her vision had always been good, but it seems she was finding more acute focus points. The 'police' will pass, and be headed in the direction of the Void dig-site, passing a few hundred yards South of your position.

When the police approach the dig-site, just at the point Agathe is considering firing her shot, Agathe will peer through the woods and spot what appear to be thuggish bandits jumping the police. The police are completely surprised, the wizard is still day-dreaming.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-20, 10:14 PM
Agathe slackens her quarrel. "Ye gods, It's a mess out here," she murmurs at the scene in the distance.

BlueWizard
2011-03-20, 10:50 PM
In the pile of gathered items... likely in the gazebo, Agathe will spot the bloodied note from Lady Ibis, your apparent patron. A slight breeze blew the note over face-down, and the sunlight shined at just the right spot through the trees. On the back is smeared scrawling washed off. A rough sketch map on the other side of the note. It is mostly faded, but Agathe's new found visual focus, brought this faded mark to her attention.

Gazebo, Temple Proper, Graveyard, and Courtyard, were all once written on the back of the note.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-20, 10:56 PM
"What's this?" Agathe crouches over to pick up the map. She holds it aloft, standing up with a delighted spring.

"Our treasure-hunt is back on, ladies. And rogue. What say we pack up and get out of here?"

Agathe scrutinizes the weathered map, focusing first on the printing of 'gazebo'.

Amnestic
2011-03-21, 12:13 AM
Carin places the loot they're not using either on the back of her Deathcharger (strapped down, obviously) or in their bags, paying little attention to the mess with the 'police' in the distance. "Excellent. We gonna go around the boys in blue?"

Jarian
2011-03-22, 03:51 AM
Kekyn hesitates momentarily, then nods. "It seems wrong somehow, but their allegiance appears clear. We should avoid them, unless you wish to abduct another."

Amnestic
2011-03-22, 07:49 AM
"Well, taking care of the stragglers and pillaging their bodies could prove profitable, but in this instance I think it's probably better to stay away from them altogether. Unless they all die in the attack anyway, then we can step in." Carin shrugs. Maybe they'd get lucky and both groups would completely wipe each other out, allowing them to waltz in and collect the spoils completely untouched.

BlueWizard
2011-03-22, 09:05 AM
Agathe and other interested will be able to quickly orient the written words to an imprint, of what appears to be a Northerly marked compass arrow. With this in mind, you will notice that your temple-proper is far from the Voidite's dig-site, as well as the police-bandit fight.

You could make your way along carefully toward this 'temple' zone, that appears to be to the North of the Voidite dig site, if you follow the orientation of the written smeared words. There appears to be a circle around temple proper. And maybe a couple of exclamation points.

It is not that far away from the fighting, and too much noise from you guys once the fighting stops could draw their attention.

Apparently, Edgar the Raven flew off last night. He said something to Cemal about meeting his cousin Chulyen, who lives with a pretty sorceress up here.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-22, 04:24 PM
Agathe points in the direction of the dig site.

"Let's go, there look be a couple points of interest," she points to the exclamation marks, "Maybe they're entrances, or camps, or... this map isn't marked. Once we've put this brawl behind us we can worry about that."

{Agathe will approach the exclamation points on the map with caution.
Spot: [roll0] & Move Silently: [roll1]}

BlueWizard
2011-03-22, 07:44 PM
Moving as the fight continues, you will lose track of the combat in the woods. It won't last long, maybe a minute or so. It will be easy to hear who won, for it will be goblinoid voices that you hear celebrating.

Following the note's sketch, you will make your way in the rough direction of the temple-proper.

Then...
Agathe will spot it first, but then Kekyn and Derick will see it. Carin will need to be shown it a little closer.

It is a moss covered pillar, that looks like a stump to Carin before she saw the fluting in the moss.

By now the battle is long over, and is moving away from you toward the Voidite dig-site. Heavy armor could tinkle through the trees if you are not careful, and give your position away now. Even with the knight's horses being led away noisily, a slight breeze could reveal anything.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-23, 12:03 AM
Agathe stands in the shadow of the ancient pillar. She scratches the stone beneath the moss with a bony index finger, scraping at the overgrowth, grinding it between her fingers curiously.

"Let's be quick about this," Agathe rasps in a hush tone. The ranger presses about the foundation of the pillar, looking for some escape from the wild forest and its many, well-armed inhabitants.

{Knowledge(nature) check to identify the moss and surrounding overgrowth:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]}

BlueWizard
2011-03-23, 02:42 PM
Agathe will bend down and discover that the little 'mound' under the stone column is ruined and buried dais, or steps into a temple. The rest of the layout would be into the woods further. Just as she is kneeling and examining the ruins somethign leaps out over her head from the dark woods ahead

"Mmmmm!!!! Fey-brains!!!! Tasty..." Out of the woods roars a green-brown ape speaking in ABYSSAL. It blended into the trees as a chameleon then, leaps down and pummels Derick into the earth with a mighty pounce. Even stealthed, Derick is crushed beneath this this mighty demonic ape's fists and claws, and then it begins gnawing on the rogue's head. Derick might be alive as the demon-ape tries to feast on his brain, but he won't be for long.

Combat near the 'temple-proper'.

Initiatives:
Carin 15+1
Agathe 6+3
Kekyn 4+2
Green-brown Demon-Ape- trying to eat Derick's brain

Amnestic
2011-03-23, 02:58 PM
Seeing Derick go down, Carin immediately springs into action, pulling the ape off him with her powers and landing him right in front of her. As she brings her sword down upon the ape, she lets out a powerful "Minions, attack!" Both the Deathcharger and Pebblethief, her trusty ghoul servant, spring into action alongside her with their claws, hooves and teeth flashing as they unleashed a synchronised assault.

Swift Action: Death Grip on the ape on top of Derick, pulling it off him and dropping him in front of Carin.

Standard Action:
Plague Strike.
+10% damage from Frost Presence.
Applies Blood Plague on hit.

Pebblethief:-
Full Attack.

Claw1:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]+[roll4] cold damage from Deadly Chill feat

Claw2:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]+[roll7] cold damage

Bite:
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]+[roll10] cold damage

Deathcharger:-
Full Attack.

Hoof1: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]+[roll13] cold damage

Hoof2: [roll14]
Damage: [roll15]+[roll16] cold damage

Bite: [roll17]
Damage: [roll18]+[roll19] cold damage

Phew! That was a lot of rolls. Suppose that's to be expected with two pets with 3 natural weapons each :smallcool:

Carin: HP 25/25
Runes Available: BBFFU
Death Grip Cooldown: 0/3 unless I murder the ape.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-23, 03:12 PM
Agathe scurries back in surprise. The huntress steadies her aim and takes a shot into the melee.

{Free: 5-step back
Move: Careful strike, -4 to attack for firing into a melee
Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]}

Jarian
2011-03-23, 09:10 PM
Kekyn thrusts her hands skyward, and a massive torrent of flame leaps from her fingertips with a roar. Kekyn pulls her hands apart, then clasps them together near her stomach, and another roar of fire erupts from between her closed fingers. She pulls her hands apart a second time, and a bead of glowing ember-orange light floats before her.

The bead lets loose a third tongue of flame, writhing and turning in upon itself, coalescing into a faintly humanoid shape. Eyes of fire snap open, staring intently at the demonic creature. At Kekyn's mental command, the elemental surges forward, bringing a fist of semi-solid flame down upon the demon's head.

The instant the elemental begins to move, Kekyn raises her hand as if to throw a ball, and a thousand sparks leap from her fingertips to her palm, rebounding off of her flesh before being pulled back toward it, taking the form of a sphere of lightning in the span of time it takes her to complete the throwing motion. The ball of lightning streaks forward, humming with deadly energy.

Swift: Summon Fire Elemental Totem, which gives me a 2HD Small Fire Elemental. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm) The elemental will charge the demon-ape thing.

Charging slam attack: [roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning plus [roll2] fire damage.

Kekyn throws a lightning bolt.

Ranged touch: [roll3] for [roll4] +10% damage.

BlueWizard
2011-03-24, 01:46 AM
Only Kekyn will feel the fear effect, the other two of you will see this thing as something to at least respect. Kekyn won't give into the fear's power, but can feel the hair standing on her arm.

Carin's minion's attack the demon as it sucks the rogue's brain out with relish.
The mighty demonic ape is mostly just annoyed and seems to deflect most of the damage away. Even the Deathcharger doesn't bother it too much. He waves the undead pair off, and even ignores Carin's magical Death-Grip.

Agathe's shot sinks into the demon's back, and doesn't seem to bother it one bit.

Kekyn must've heard a recent rumor in among the hippies, that fire hurts demons some, and everyone can figure this out now. {OOC- Be careful knowing too much. :smallwink:} The lightning bolt does nothing, but there is some minor fire damage done to the demon-ape, and it's arm fur is singed. Cold and Electricity seem to do nothing to it.

The demon ape looks at you all in annoyance, then to the rogue in its clawed hands. It then teleports away taking along the changeling-rogue feasting as he does. You will briefly see Derick revert to his true fey form as he dies in the demon's hands.

End Combat--------------------->

{OOC- For bravery, and facing danger valiantly, you are rewarded with +3000 XP. And in another rare event the powers will kick in, once again you will feel imbued with all your training, and control of your powers seemed to have kicked in defensively as you faced up to this mighty demon. Please put XP to 6000, and your PCs at 4th level, you will need it because:}

Agathe spots a hole beyond the pillar. In the fighting she had moved closer into the 'temple-proper' to get a good close ranged shot. She almost fell in this hole, as she steps into the thick wood that has grown over the temple floor.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-24, 05:06 AM
Agathe's heavy heel clacks against the wood. The undead explorer picks her hood up and puckers to whistle. No air escapes her lungs but a rattle. Agathe rasps in the imitation of a cough, pointing to the hole in the ruins.

"Can't be any worse inside," she drones flatly. The Forsaken scout sticks her head into the cavern, jumping in after a peek.

{Darkvision 60'}

BlueWizard
2011-03-24, 03:17 PM
Near what would be the front entrance of the temple is a hole down to a stone stairway. You will need to crawl in the mud a bit to get down there, but it opens up below. And Kekyn will need light. The stairway is covered in mud, as it seems nature is just now creeping into the lower regions. It seems to open up below, perhaps to a complex?

Agathe will notice on the way in that this 'hole' was recently dug, and the rain has washed some of the work back in on itself. This could be where Candace went down with her first group.

BlueWizard
2011-03-25, 02:15 AM
There will be another crackling of branches in the woods of someone's approach. It is only one person, it is cautious, and it will be as you are entering the wood down into the stairs of the temple-proper.

It is one of the knights from the patrol. A young one, and female. Her blue surcoat is tattered and shredded from pushing through brambles, but she is wearing chainmail. Her helmet has been torn from her head, and she is a little scratched up, mostly from blackberry bushes she fled through.

She is surprised stumbling upon you all and to see the mighty deathcharger and ghoul she gasps in fright. Then she mercifully throws herself at Carin's feet. "Please! My patrol has been jumped! There was a wizard and priest.... They killed my knight... and my lover..." The pretty young woman weeps. "Please don't kill me. Please...." She looks up at Carin's glowing eyes, and will not be bothered by them. She is armed with a military issued long-sword and buckler straped to the other arm. She doesn't look much like a warrior, much less a knight, though the chain hauberk is masterwork level, and silvery as if it could be special and magical.

"Let me serve you for my protection. I understand you are one of the many adventuring parties soon descending upon this wood. Take me with you.... I am well knowledged in these lands. I know the hobgoblins won't come this way... And there is safety in numbers..." She will look over her shoulder in worry, and will want to push on into whatever the party was climbing into.

Amnestic
2011-03-25, 09:34 PM
"I..." Carin's pretty surprised at seeing a person drop to her knees in front of her. "She could just slow us down. We could just patch her up and send her off to the nearest town; she might have a better chance of surviving the road back on her own than down there with us." Carin didn't intend to sound particularly rude by speaking about the lady to the others in her group, but she couldn't exactly take them aside where they were. "We've lost three already and we're not even in there."

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-25, 09:43 PM
Reluctant to leave the shaded ditch, Agathe replies from the darkness.

"Another head down in front is o.k. with me. So long as she can swing a sword and a torch."

The undead ranger stays out of sight. While the wandering knight was acquiescent to Carin's necromancy, she still had a sense of shame about herself.

"You said you were familiar with this territory? Do you know when the last outbreak of plague was? Where the refugees gathered?"

BlueWizard
2011-03-26, 02:05 AM
The young woman says nothing to Carin, but looks at her with pleading eyes.
She will move forward and even push into the hole to speak with Agathe in the darkness. "I am good with my blade. Trained by a knight of the Queen, I am!" She pats the blade in her hilt.

Sounds of hobgoblin voices nearing can be heard.
"They won't follow us down there. I abandoned my post. I could retire on a small portion of what is down here. Please... to my commanders I am already dead."

When answering Agathe she is confused. "Plague? There was a blight upon the lands North of Jamestown afew years back, but that is some distance away.

It is said Alien Aberrations caused a plague upon these lands long ago. Causing these ruins in the first place. No one knew where the lost cities were exactly... but now we do! This place was a store house of much old imperial treasure at least 2 thousand years ago."

Amnestic
2011-03-27, 10:20 AM
Terribly sorry for the delay. Banking error not in my favour, had to go back to my mother's home, bloody hell this is the third time I'm writing this in as many posts! :smalltongue:

"Nnngh. Fine, you can come, but if you slow us down you won't stay." Excellent, now they were travelling with a knight - the authorities. Something Carin had been attempting to avoid. Three dead - one their benefactor - and them left to rifle through whatever they can find in the hopes of finding something valuable. More valuable than another weight on their shoulders or a face full of religious fantacism, anyway. Carin tugs a sunrod out of the pack attached to her Deathcharger, which she has now decided to call Ucé. She doens't strike the sunrod however, thinking it best to leave it until the last minute; they are a limited resource after all. "Shall we head down then? Sooner we're in and out the better."

Also, Kekyn doesn't need light - as a Lesser Aasimar she is blessed with, among other things, Darkvision 60'. Carin is the only one without augmented vision, despite the whole eye-glowy-thing. Hell, even my undead have better eyesight than I do.

Also, will my Deathcharger be able to manage heading down into the complex? I suppose if she can't manage the stairway, we can just drag the loot down to the bottom of it and I can resummon her at the bottom. *shrug* Either way, I'm not lugging all that loot around during combat :smalltongue:

BlueWizard
2011-03-27, 04:07 PM
Mud and roots have crept down into this stairway that leads about 15 feet below. Carin will find Ucé will have a lot of trouble managing the stairs. She will soon find that Ucé will have even more trouble moving about the muddy foyer below.
{OOC-The Deathcharger can just be summoned at will?}

There is a lantern and oil flask among Candace's items, and the young woman would quickly light it with her flint and steel in her pocket. {OOC- She will have the light, unless there is a problem with this.}

Enters the chamber below reveals a mud covered floor. On the ceiling was painted the stars and heavens, with certain astrological figures flourished. The mural is mostly faded, and broken with earth growing through it.

There are three visible stone doors from this 30x30 room. One to the left, one to the right, and one straight ahead which is broken in, there is a dark hallway beyond the broken door; straight from the base of the muddy stairway.

Jarian
2011-03-27, 09:34 PM
Kekyn speaks to Cemal in a soft voice for a short while, then follows the wolfhound as it makes a circuit of the room, nose to the floor. Kekyn listens intently as she goes, alert for a sign of anything lying in wait.

Cemal will take a trip clockwise around the room, alerting Kekyn if he smells anything other than the party at some point. Scent has a 30 foot range.

Kekyn takes 10 on spot and listen checks as she goes, for a result of 17 and 24, respectively.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-28, 12:59 AM
Agathe creeps along with the others. She held her longsword lightly, as if it were a twig. Years? Surely it couldn't have been so long. Agathe stands at the front, alongside the knight woman.

{First week of the semester. Internship rush is go! Just got off Amtrak; need sleep, detox, homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192443)}

Amnestic
2011-03-28, 02:37 PM
Carin pats Ucé on the head and murmurs instructions for her to wait there until they get back before heading deeper into the foyer with the rest of her group. Looking around at the three stone doors, she takes a moment to consider."We should be smart about this; don't split up, clear it one room at a time - I've always been a fan of heading left first. That is, assuming we've not found anything in here?" She finishes, pointedly looking at the sniffing wolfhound.

BlueWizard
2011-03-28, 06:36 PM
In the Foyer:
Cemal will not have to approach the open, broken doorway very close to tell something lives beyond it, and likely waits at the end of the long hall. Cemal thinks it smells like an animal NOT of this world.

"Likely... More Aberrations." The young knight mutters. She gets her sword out, looks at stairs above, then to the party. "I hope you guys are good." The other two stone doors look sealed shut.

Agathe will see that this door straight ahead was broken recently.

Cemal can tell Candace went this way before, as he smells the broken doorway.

Carin's ghoul, 'Pebble', will detect a lifeforce at the end of the 60 foot hall. The ghoul will think it sees an odd-looking lioness crouched in hiding behind rubble in the far room.

Above:
Ucé finds a good place to hide, hang-out, and keep an eye on any hobgoblin activity in the area. And will stay clear of it ... {off-screen}... :smallwink:

Jarian
2011-03-29, 10:00 PM
Kekyn gestures at the broken door.

"Something lurks in the shadows there. Would you face it, or take another path?" she whispers.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-29, 11:20 PM
"Candace mentioned that her first, unfortunate party ran into a gang of mindflayers. If such is the case, I'll lead the charge," Agathe suggests.

"And you're coming with me, police girl," she adds. The revenant steps to the front of the march. She readies her longsword and buckler.

"You must imagine our employers selected us for a purpose. Let's hope we're not for want of talent due to our former compatriots' passing."

BlueWizard
2011-03-29, 11:56 PM
"Name's Lois." the young knight-lady, seems amused with the 'police' title. "Lady Lois to you." Then to Kekyn, "I guess we go this way!"

Alongside the young knight-lady, Agathe bravely takes the broken, open middle path. Lois is right up near Agathe's butt, more for her own safety it looks like.

Whatever lives down this hall is now coming in the darkness. Roaring loudly the moment Agathe and Lois break the plane of the door into the hall.

IT moves feline-like, but it is not one at all, with sort of a boar's rotation to its head. It is fast, and looks scary. The young knight-lady will squeal. "Eeep!" And will hope that Agathe readies something before she does.

Initiatives:
Kekyn 16+2
Agathe 8+3
Lady knight
Carin 7+1
Something Wicked

OOC- You are all ready, it is about 60 feet away. It is hard to see, but it doesn't seem very nice.

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-30, 12:33 AM
Agathe charges the alien beast. She dives to the left, flanking for the incoming melee rush. With a snicker-snack of her new magic longsword, Agathe cuts at the monster's side.

{Move & Attack for [roll0] for [roll1]}

Amnestic
2011-03-30, 03:41 AM
Apologies for the minor delay. The internet was being...disagreeable today.

Carin moves forward, Pebblethief at her heels as she feels the Unholy energies bubbling up around her feet, granting her increased speed. She reaches the foe before long and with a great swing of her sword, brings it up at the "thing's" chest, a trail of black and green and disease energy trailing behind it. Pebblethief is not far behind and attempts to latch onto the thing, biting at it.

Swift Action:
Activate Unholy Presence (+10' movement, +10% RP generated)

Charge+Plague Strike:
Attack: [roll0] (+2 from charge, +2 from flanking with Agathe/Pebblethief)

Pebblethief:
Charge and Gnaw
'It' must beat a DC15 fort save or take (2*[roll2])+[roll3] damage and be Immobilized for one round.

Runes Available: BBFFU
Runic Power (on hit): 11/100

Jarian
2011-03-30, 09:28 AM
Kekyn rushes forward, tongues of fire forming around her fingertips. She snaps her fingers, but instead of a normal snapping sound, a WOOOSH fills the air. The flames disappear in a flash of light, only to reappear, wreathing the body of the creature, burning its flesh. A crackling orb of electricity follows swiftly after the fiery assault, ionizing the air in its path.

Move to within 25 feet of the creature, use Flame Shock. Flame Shock deals [roll0] fire damage, then deals another 4 fire damage at the start of Kekyn's next three turns.

Throw a lightning bolt: [roll1] ranged touch attack, for [roll2] + 10% damage.

BlueWizard
2011-03-31, 03:36 AM
Whatever was moving at the end of the hall was going to feel some pain from the shaman. Kekyn moves past Agathe and Lois into the dark scary hall. Her flame lights up something strange. It is the size of a mighty lioness, but looks nothing like one as electricity jolts through it. It howls loudly through a long snout with a jaw full of sharp, small teeth. It is alien looking with a broad neck that comes out of the torso oddly. Its gizzard is full of strange writhing tentacles, that flare trying to psionically DAZE you with its strange scary display. With the wide red eyes behind the teeth it is nothing like any of you have ever heard of. You can even feel it attempting to scan your minds. At the moment its fur, whatever off-color purple it was, is burning... likely giving it an even angrier look.

Agathe can charge ahead to meet it, and will find this thing has tough flesh. Her sword merely thuds into the side.
"That's not good..." Lois mutters.

Lois will attempt bravely to front up to this monster in the hall, she is less effective in hurting it with her sword charge and knows it. She says to Kekyn over her shoulder nearby, "If I die... it was in duty. We're out here to protect you silly adventurers..."

Lois and Agathe will feel the unholy approach of Carin as she charges by them, and they can open up in the hall to allow her the attack...
Carin's diseased assault causes the beast nasty pain, and it howls loudly forgetting any damage the shaman caused.

The monster attacks!! It had been trying to daze all 3 of you with its spooky psionic tentacle-chin; it will do so as it attempts to devour Carin. Lois spaces out, and looks DAZED.
Carin is tackled by the beast as it bites her shoulder and takes her down! {d:6}
As it does this it clawed her with its forelimbs {d:5}, and when Carin is grappled to the muddy, stone floor, it rakes her with its hindlegs. {One claw is deflected, all others hit! :smalleek:}
Carin will also find both back claws have spurs which inject poison into her as it pounds her into the ground. {d:10}
{OOC- I am still confused by her undeadness, is she immune to poison? If not she'll take some dexterity damage.}

Pebblethief is there but the hall is too crowded ahead of Carin until she falls. It will swipe at the monster when it fells Carin, and cause some pain, but not paralyze it. The monster looks heavily damaged... and so does Carin....

End Round 1------------------------->

{With the movement in the hall, you are most of the way down this dark once decorated hall, that is ten feet wide. The monster is trying to eat Carin, which it is on top of, still on fire, and right before Agathe and Lois, with Kekyn not far behind them. This is all right before you in the crowded hall.}

Initiatives:
Kekyn 16+2
Agathe 8+3
Lois- the Lady knight- DAZED
Carin 7+1 hp: 12/33
Alien Monster

{OOC- I will allow Agathe an attack of opportunity on the monster as it took down Carin right next to her. Lois is DAZED, and Kekyn just too far away.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-03-31, 05:26 AM
Agathe's lunges after the alien predator, thrusting her blade at the back of its broad shoulders.{AoO: [roll0] for [roll1]} And again with hysterical fury.{Careful Strike(move) + Savage Strike: [roll2] for [roll3]+[roll4]+4}

Amnestic
2011-03-31, 09:09 AM
She is not immune to Dexterity damage.

Carin grunts under the weight of the creature. "Bloody ugly..." is all she can get out as she attempts to push back. There's not much else she can do. Pebblethief will lay into the monster, tearing at it as best it can.

I assume by "pushed to the muddy stone floor" implies I'm pinned, in which case this'll just get me out of the pin, not the grapple. Assuming I'm reading the rules correctly. Stupid grapple rules. :smalltongue:

Grapple Check: [roll0]

Pebblethief:-
Full Attack.

Claw1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]+[roll3]

Claw2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]+[roll6]

Bite: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]+[roll9]

Edit: Uh, whoops, I'm pretty sure my Blood Plague has started taking effect now too, which deals 4d2 damage. Can't edit rolls in so...average? Monster takes an extra 6 profane damage.

Jarian
2011-03-31, 05:43 PM
Never one to panic, Kekyn calmly begins weaving together strands of healing magic, which flow from her fingertips like so many green threads, sinking into Carin's body as they close the death knight's wounds.

This accomplished, Kekyn makes an upwards pulling motion, and a figure of an enormously fat man gushes out of the floor. At the same moment, a cluster of rocks appears from nowhere, tumbling in upon itself as it takes on a crude approximation of the shape of the totem. The elemental sinks down into the earth, then reappears behind the strange cat creature, swinging a beefy fist toward it.

Healing Wave on Carin for [roll0] healing.

Swift action to summon an Earth Elemental Totem, which gives me a 3HD Small Earth Elemental. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm)

The Elemental uses its Earth Glide ability to glide underground and pop up behind the freaky cat thing, then makes a slam attack against it. Slam: [roll1] for [roll2] bludgeoning damage.

BlueWizard
2011-04-01, 05:28 AM
Kekyn makes Carin feel a little better under the monster, and the stone-whatever-thing that pops up behind it, provides a solid thud, but doesn't hit the Kigrid hard enough to hurt it. {Not that any of your PCs know what a Kigrid is.} The Earth-totem doesn't distract the monster from its prey, and it will ignore it.... for now...
Kekyn's fire continues to burn...

Agathe tries to save Carin or at least kill this monster thing, but finds her attack again glances off the tough hide! {OOC-DM not rolling any better with real dice....}

Carin stiffens as she finds the poison takes hold of her movement! {-3 to Dex! For now the 2 injections will count together.:smallwink: She has undead powers... I think I am seeing it now... finally! :smallcool:} She can feel the poison is still acting on her, and too much of this could freeze up all movement... including her ability to breath if this went too far into her system. {ie: Dex to below zero!}

Carin is able to fight off the grapple, and wrestles her way back up, but she is bleeding profusely... though it seems Kekyn has magically 'stopped' up the bleeding a little.

Pebblethief the ghoul swings mightily, and even the flatfooted Kigrid is hard to damage, as its off-purple hide is strangely tough. One claw rips into the it, however, and causes it intense pain. But it won't kill it.

This doesn't kill it, but it will now collapse. Carin will be satisfied to know it was her blood plague that did it in. It still heaves as it dies quite grossly on the stone ground. Unless this monster is saved, it will be dead in moments.

End Combat------------------------->

Lois shakes her head and looks around confused, but grossed out. "What... is that? Some alien monster from the illithid home-world likely... Yech!!!"

Ahead is a large circular room once supported by many ribbed columns, but most are crumbled, and their looks to be some sort of den made of this room.
Here are the mashed bodies of four tiny Kigrid cublings, as well as the tentacle-less mother.
There appears to have been a couple recent human deaths as well in this room, judging by the dried blood near the entry to this room. No sign of the bodies.

Cemal will smell that there were other humans here with Candace.

There are 12 doors out of this large 100 foot diameter circular room. With the entry hallway there are 13 'doorways' into the room. These doors are rotted wood, supported with a metal frame, so most of them are rotted, and it looks like a few are pushed open.

The fine marbled floor and partially domed ceiling are too blacked and damaged to make out the detail without serious, and careful excavation.

The poison is still taking effect on Carin!! :smalleek:

Amnestic
2011-04-01, 06:59 PM
Carin grunts, before spinning her blade around and driving it into the beast's head. "Think it did something to me. I feel...slower." Upon looking at the corpses around the room, she wanders over to one, limping slightly and begins rifling through their pockets.

Coup de Grâce* on the monster.
[roll0]+[roll1]

*Using Death Strike (I can use a Death Strike for my Coup de Grâce, right?). Costs 1 Unholy+1 Frost rune, heals Carin for a huge 2 HP. 22/33 HP at the moment.

Fort save to resist the secondary poison damage in a minute: [roll2]+[roll3]
Feel free to donate Heal checks if you think they might help ;p

Any loots to speak of?

BlueWizard
2011-04-02, 03:56 AM
This circular room with many doors and broken columns looks to have been well-looted. Cemal can still smell Candace's perfume all over the place in here.

Lois just looks around in awe, she's only read books. This is real archeology.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-02, 09:59 PM
"Left hand rule, then?" Agathe proposes. The ghoulish girl looks over Carin's shoulder, tutting worriedly.

"Don't like the looks of that. For your sake, I wish I was a more appetizing target."

Agathe peers through the cracks and ajar portals from her vantage at the center of the room. Her gaze follows the Cemal's lead.

{Spot: [roll0]}

Amnestic
2011-04-02, 10:30 PM
"Left hand rule sounds like a plan. This place looks pretty much deserted, so we may as well move on. Is a little weird how there's these huge bloodstains but no bodies though. Eaten, or dragged off?" Carin shrugs, it was just idle speculation, there was really no way of telling from where they were now.

Jarian
2011-04-02, 10:32 PM
"Left is as good as any, I suppose," Kekyn agrees.

BlueWizard
2011-04-03, 06:45 AM
In the large circular room, from the perspective of entering there are 6 doors going around each sides. {The leftmost door would be the door to your left as you entered. I will number it #1 for ease of notes. To the right this door, on the other side of the entry hall will be #12. With #6 and #7 being the doors at the far side from your entrance here.}

It is too difficult to see in the darkness, there appears to be small halls beyond judging by the 'pre-opened' or broken-open doors. #'s 7, 8, and 4 are opened. It looks like bodies may have been dragged toward #4, and Cemal says he smells rotten death in that direction.

The leftmost door {#1}, is very battered, and rotted. Kekyn thinks it might just fall in. The room beyond doesn't look too large.
After careful opening of this crumbling door, which falls apart when moved, you will find a room which at one time would've been a small living space for maybe four acolytes or 2. It would be cramped either way. The wooden posts and shelves that once stood here are crumbly, but still resemble what they once were. This 20x20 room looks like it hasn't been disturbed in a LONG time.

There is little of value, maybe crumbled scroll pieces, or broken candle-holders. It looks as if whoever left this bunk-room had time to gather valuables. Some of the dark fabric from the bedsheets can be seen, and Lois appraises the impressive thread count. "These were some rich priests."

Agathe will spot a secret door in the back wall. A hangar on the wall moves a stone, that likely opens this door.

For the most part this whole place looks like it was carved out of the earth's very stone.

Amnestic
2011-04-04, 07:41 AM
Carin sniffs, turning her nose up at the ruined area before her. "So much for the left hand rule, eh? What a dump. Nobody would pay for any of this stuff." She wanders around, tapping things, occasionally picking up broken objects, looking at them for a few seconds before tossing them away in annoyance. "I'm not seeing anything worth dragging back to town. Shall we move on to door number two?"

Yes, I'm aware that there's a secret door. Carin is not though :smallcool:

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-04, 01:16 PM
"Hold on. There's a thirteenth door."

Agathe steps to the hanger on the wall. She looks between the secret door and supposed mechanism, pointing for the benefit of others. The ranger pries at the stone expectantly.

Jarian
2011-04-04, 08:19 PM
Kekyn hangs back, waiting to see the outcome of the investigation before moving on.

BlueWizard
2011-04-06, 06:45 AM
Lois will come up close to watch Agathe work the hidden door. Moving the lever, causes the wall to pop open. Behind it is a small closet, and a flurry of tiny moths fly out. This appears to be an ancient wardrobe, of mostly empty hangers. Once again it is all ragged, and nothing will be found in here.

Room #2 is much the same as #1, the entry hall is different, and the room is slightly oriented differently. There is a dried up husk of a body in the frame of the bed. There is another secret door, Agathe spots it first, this time it is a loose stone plate in the door. As this room is still being looked at Cemal will whine, and move past door #2.

Something is slithering across the floor toward you from the direction of #12 and the entry hall.

Amnestic
2011-04-06, 03:44 PM
Carin grumbles as she rifles through anything which might be of any value - not that there is much at all. "Go keep the wolf company." She mumbles to Pebblethief. The ghoul lets out a low groan as it lopes slowly out of the room. "Can't believe we signed up for this job. If our employer wanted scraps of cloth and a bunch of broken wood I could've provided that from the comfort of a big city."

BlueWizard
2011-04-06, 03:49 PM
In the darkness something is oozing clockwise toward you from the rubble, perhaps coming from one of the open doors {#7 or #8}. Right now, it is moving at the 'Southern' part of the room. You all have just opened the door to #2, and have not yet opened its secret closet.

It is hard to see for it is large, yet moves on the ground.

Lois in her greed has already gone into #2 to investigate, and is oblivious to the ooze. The rest of you are not. "Employer? How much were you offered? And by whom?"

Amnestic
2011-04-07, 05:09 AM
Carin unslungs her runeblade once more, the light cutting through the darkness like a silvered blade. "Pebblethief, go!" She springs into action, the room noticeably dropping in temperature as she draws her icy powers up once more. Small tendrils of ice flow up around her, frosting over her armour as a huge rain of ice and cold fall upon the slithering ooze thing in front of her. Pebblethief has lept ahead, attempting to bite down on the ooze.

Move to 20' range of ooze.
Icy Touch on ooze. [roll0]+10% cold damage, applies Frost Fever, DC17 Fort save halves.

Pebblethief, as a free action, Leaps at the ooze ([roll1]) to attempt to move adjacent to it, then full attacks.

Claw1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]+[roll4] cold

Claw2: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]+[roll7] cold

Bite: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]+[roll10] cold

If it can't make the jump, it'll move the rest of the way and simply attack with Claw1 alone.

Jarian
2011-04-07, 08:35 PM
Kekyn begins to form a sphere of electrical energy between her hands, waiting for an opening.

Readied action to use Lightning Bolt on the thing when it takes an offensive action.

BlueWizard
2011-04-08, 02:20 AM
As Pebblethief leaps to attack, all of you will hear a bunch of gibberish muttering. A low groan of many voices, not really saying anything.
Agathe will see from the room, the source is this strange ooze coming toward you, the rest of you will feel the sonic mind-boggling annoyance that it becomes. {Kekyn, Lois, and yes even Carin (19+1) made the saving throw.}

The ghoul only manages to hit with one claw on this gibbering bunch of mouths oozing on the ground, you can tell for there is an annoying chorus of gibberish that is grumbled out loudly. You can also see eyes, and the mouths and eyes all sink into itself forming new eyes and mouths out of the skin colored mass of humanoid flesh before you. Carin has heard of these magical mushings of life... it is almost mindless, and must feed. "HUNGRY!!!!" They will all groan loudly, as it spots the ghoul clawing it.

Carin isn't sure her icy touch harmed the monster too much, luckily Pebblethief hurt this monster and it seems focused on the ghoul!! It bleeds, but it is hard to tell that it is wounded.

Kekyn can use the bolt in the surprise round, as well as get her attack for the battle's beginning.

Agathe and Lois {DM action}. This pair will join Kekyn and Carin in the broken column circle room with all the doors, and prepare themselves defensively. Lois is not too brave. That is clear.

Initiatives:
Agathe 16+3
Lois
The Gibbering Mouther
Kekyn 8+2
Carin 4-1

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-08, 04:20 AM
Agathe breaks rank and charges the slithering abomination. She meets the thing face to face to face to face and hacks away at the pressing tide of liquid flesh {Charge, attack with longsword [roll0] for [roll1]}.

Amnestic
2011-04-09, 01:11 AM
Seeing Agathe dash forward and not desiring to be outdone, Carin does the same. She spins her blade up above her head and with an unholy scream of the powers of death it comes crashing upon their squidgy foe.

Move to the Gibbering Mouther.

Attack with Scourge Strike: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+35% (25% from one disease, 10% from Frost Presence) Total=17 damage

Frost Fever starts a-workin'. 5 Cold damage, and the physical damage of the enemy is reduced by 20%.

Pebblethief full attacks for massive damage:

Damage: [roll3]+[roll4]

Claw2: [roll]1d20+6
Damage: [roll5]+[roll6]

Bite: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]+[roll9]

BlueWizard
2011-04-09, 04:31 AM
Agathe charges forward through the rubble strewn room and hacks the amorphous monster. She thinks she hurt it, but the gash just folds in on itself, and reforms a mouth or more eyes. {Not all the damage effected it... :smallfrown:} Agathe can tell a hammer would cause this thing more pain.

Lois pulls a crossbow off her shoulder and takes an embarrassingly bad shot. It nearly hit Pebblethief.

The Mouther engulfs Pebblethief, he lives, and can even fight inside it, but this thing can move fast when something is next to it. Already Agathe can see part of it is moving to do the same to her next. {OOC- He is just a normal ghoul?}

Kekyn fires the second volt of electrical energy into it, and seems to bother it a little. At least she feels the full effect of her energy is effecting it. Cemal is wary about getting near and will be near Lois growling. Kekyn understands, "Get your butt outta there, Kekyn! Let's go back to the forest."

Pebbletheif flails on the inside of this thing, you can see him swinging around as this thing tries to envelop the undead follower of Carin.

Carin's diseased strike causes the most pain, and the monster wails as its eyes all seek out the source of its latest malady. It still lives is wounded, and Pebblethief looks like he is in trouble.

End Round 1------------------------------------->

Initiatives:
Agathe 16+3
Lois
The Gibbering Mouther
Kekyn 8+2
Carin 4-1

Amnestic
2011-04-09, 02:45 PM
Carin, seeing little need to change her tactics, repeats her attack once more, slashing with a blad cloaked in the darkest of energies. Pebblethief, locked inside the mess of flesh, eyes and teeth, retaliates out agains it, desperately clawing and biting to free itself.

Scourge Strike: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+35% - Total: 22 Damage. Well, technically 22.95. Damned rounding down :P

5 Cold damage from Frost Fever, enemy physical damage is still reduced by 20%.

Pebblthief full attack-
Damage: [roll3]+[roll4] cold.

Damage: [roll6]+[roll7]

Damage: [roll9]+[roll10]

Runes Available: BBF
Runic Power: 33/100

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-09, 10:26 PM
Agathe's sword drops from her shaking hand. The Forsaken bares a monstrous smile, mucked in congealed blood and phlegm. She pounds the aberration with her cold, gnarled fists {Careful Strike, slam attack [roll0] for [roll1]}.

BlueWizard
2011-04-10, 05:27 AM
Agathe slams her gnarly fist into the fleshy goo-monster, and she pains it badly, as all the mouths groan out simultaneously.

Lois picks up some rocks and starts throwing them at the monster. They seem to bounce off, but at least she hit the dang thing.

The Gibbering Mouther drains nothing from the ghoul as it dries to devour it bit by bit, but getting none of the tasty blood. Almost as an involuntary throw-up, the Mouther spews up Pebblethief, and spits the chewed up ghoul onto the ground. Pebblethief is hurt badly.

Kekyn holds. It is crowded around the mouther. Lois nods to Kekyn in the 'back' line.

The chewed-up Pebblethief can barely move, and his attacks do little this round as he gains his feet again.

Carin finishes this nasty beasty with another diseased strike. It collapses in on itself, with all eyes rolling back in, and the mouths just gape open, and it begins to ooze and pus.

Looting #2:
Agathe looting the not-so hidden closet of room #2, with the near mummified dead body in the rotten bed, she will find a gold framed wooden box. The wood crumbles to the touch... if anything the gold frame should be worth something at a goldsmith's. It may have something inside.

This is found under lots of crumbly fabrics.

In this room, Carin can find a black bed-sheet that could be used as a ragged cloak. It might not last through another mouther attack though. :smallwink:

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-10, 05:56 AM
Agathe walks across the room to stoop and pick up the magical longsword. She reorients herself at the front of the room.

"Left again?"

The ranger checks the room for signs of Candace's previous cadre. She makes her way back to room #2, inspecting the rotted box.
{Why the hell didn't I think of this earlier?: Track: [roll0]}

BlueWizard
2011-04-10, 04:48 PM
What will she track?

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-10, 06:12 PM
{Here are the mashed bodies of four tiny Kigrid cublings, as well as the tentacle-less mother.
There appears to have been a couple recent human deaths as well in this room, judging by the dried blood near the entry to this room. No sign of the bodies. [signs of dragging? What splatter is the blood stain?]}
{These doors are rotted wood, supported with a metal frame, so most of them are rotted, and it looks like a few are pushed open. [which ones?]}
{This circular room with many doors and broken columns looks to have been well-looted. Cemal can still smell Candace's perfume all over the place in here.}
{It looks like bodies may have been dragged toward #4, and Cemal says he smells rotten death in that direction.}
{The leftmost door (#1)... looks like it hasn't been disturbed in a LONG time.}

Various cues in the environment. Agathe will try to patch together the likely sequence of events that led to the last bands' untimely end. I've heard it argued that Track is a useless feat equivalent to 'Summon Plot Hook'. Those poor, unoriginal munchkins...
-----

Agathe paces the room, turning over rubble and the signs of disturbance in the hollow ruins.

"Mind if I borrow the hound?" Agathe queries Kekyn. The undead ranger's attention turns to door #4.

"Nobody open that door until we're braced and ready."

Amnestic
2011-04-10, 07:10 PM
Carin drapes the slightly tattered bedsheet around Pebblethief's shoulders, tying it off at the front and forming a rudimentary cloak, before standing back and appreciating her work. The ghoul turns its head to one side looking quizzical, but seems accepting of the new clothing it had been given. Following that, she starts probing and prodding at the box, trying to appraise it and seeing if there's anything inside.

Check inside the crumbling gold-framed box and attempt to (untrained) Appraise ([roll0]) everything in the vicinity.

Edit: Stupid profanity filter. The synonym for a male reproductive organ can also reference turning something slightly. It's part of common language! =_=

Oh, also I'm pretty sure I get a +2 bonus to that Appraise check from my points in Craft (Metalworking) with regards to the gold frame :smallcool:

BlueWizard
2011-04-11, 03:45 AM
The gold framed wood box was a woman's jewelry-box, and it crumbles as you open it. Any trap long since degraded. Inside there is a wealth of jewelry, that will catch everyone's eye who watches Agathe.
Lois whistles, "That's a pretty penny."
6 pieces of jewelry dedicated to some priestess named: Cybil. On one bracelet is also engraved the name of her betrothed: Jenero. The designs are dark black gemstones, red and some other themes. There are sexy succubi on the various jewelry.

Maybe they belonged to the dead husk in one of the broken beds.

Cemal has no interest in going in #4, smells of death.

Jarian
2011-04-11, 04:03 AM
"I fear I have expended the bulk of my powers for the time being," Kekyn warns, voice weary. "If we must press on, then we must... but I make no guarantees of being able to aid you for much longer. Even a short rest would be appreciated."

Kekyn recovers 5 mana/hour. If we can rest for a little bit before entering the room that smells like death, I'd feel much better about things.

BlueWizard
2011-04-11, 04:07 AM
"Down here though, right? With watches? I don't want a hobgoblin bandit party to jump us with full complement of druids and sorcerers!"

{OOC- Watch Order? Lois will take any position given to her.} :smallamused:

Jarian
2011-04-11, 04:09 AM
Kekyn slumps down against a nearby wall, obviously near exhaustion.

"It needn't be sleep... simply a short while to reattune myself to the elements. Perhaps a short break for a midday meal?"

Amnestic
2011-04-11, 05:55 AM
"A short rest probably wouldn't go amiss. I'm in no particular hurry to get eaten, poisoned, stabbed, beaten, maimed, burned or broken in any other way. I could do with some food." In response to this, Pebblethief motions and groans towards some of the dessicated corpses lying around the room. Carin sniffs. "I'll stick to my rations," she says, before dropping her bag and going through it. "Go collect some of the burnables from those two rooms, we'll see if we can make a fire."

I'm not trusting no NPC to watch for us :P Pebblethief and Agathe going first makes sense since Agathe doesn't need to eat (or sleep, for that matter) while the other two have their lunch. We can switch out after we've eaten.

BlueWizard
2011-04-11, 09:26 PM
Setting up in the circular rubble room, you will be able to rest for hours. The stench in here is unbearable, but eventually your noses forget about it... kind of.

You will hear a slight howling noise of wind from open #4.

Carin could make a fire, the wood will burn quick.

OOC- Jarian's pretty. :smallcool:

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-12, 03:39 AM
Agathe sits quietly and unperturbed as a statue. She watches Cemal whimper and shy before room #4. At length, the forester remarks.

"Well, whatever did the last band in is waiting for us behind door number four."

For a beat, she looks up.

"Oh, I'm attempting to strike up conversation. Not the simplest task when you have no sense of warmth."

Jarian
2011-04-12, 07:38 PM
"An interesting attempt," Kekyn says with a smirk, eyes closed and head tipped back to rest against the wall. "If it's all the same to you though, I'd prefer to rest."

I don't want to hold up the game with a rest full of chatting, unless you guys are in the mood for that. I'm thinking just calling it a four hour break (giving Kekyn 20 more mana) and being done with it is the best plan here.

Amnestic
2011-04-12, 07:52 PM
Carin sighs, still feeling a little stiff from whatever poison was coursing through her veins. "I hope the answer behind door number four is 'treasure, treasure and more treasure'. I've had quite enough of spines and poison and mouths and eyes and goo and whatnot for one day." She stops and thinks for a minute. "No, I'm not really sure how treasure would kill them. Hopefully it was a one off trap which is now thoroughly disabled allowing us to waltz in unscathed."

BlueWizard
2011-04-12, 08:49 PM
The time will pass without incident, the howling from #4 appears to be air moving. And you will only faintly hear it as you rest.

#4 is open, it appears to be another 2 or 4 person monk room.

Doors #7 and 8 are also opened.

BlueWizard
2011-04-13, 06:43 PM
Skipping #3 {it seems the noise has peeked interest} the broken shut door will be overlooked for now in the left-handed 'circlular path'.

It appears that a young man in black robes was here, his robes were marked with astrology symbolse. Mostly he is eaten and gnawed bones are everywhere, but it appears the monster may have been living off the dead wizard for a few days now.

In Room #4, the howling comes from its propped open 'secret' closet door.

Inside this dusty decayed room, totally looted is a opened trapdoor that once hid under a fine floor mat. The floor mat is now thread and dust.

It appears very cold air drafts up the trapdoor occasionally.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-13, 06:48 PM
{'Cuse me, odd schedule. Plus, midterms imminent.}

"Well I'm pleasantly mistaken..." Agathes whistles. She looks over the meat-bare wizard, wets her lips, and pats down his pockets.

Agate lifts the trap door open, breaking the cold draft with her body and volume of clothing.

BlueWizard
2011-04-13, 09:18 PM
Agathe will be disappointed to see that only threads and bone pieces remain of this wizard, and nothing of value. This room is completely trashed, and there appears to be other bone shards in here. Possibly goblinoid.

Lois will hang back at the entrance of this open room.

BlueWizard
2011-04-15, 09:32 AM
As Room #4 is entered the whistling stops, and the room seems to get extra chilly... not that it bothers you at the moment.

"I don't like this..." Lois mutters, looking around at the shadows and silence.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-15, 05:38 PM
{So, uh, what's under the trapdoor?}

BlueWizard
2011-04-16, 04:31 AM
Lois is frightened, "Uhm... I'm not going down there."

Agathe can see it is dark straight down. A ladder leads down. Howling wind has stopped.

Amnestic
2011-04-16, 06:45 AM
"Well you either go down there or stay here on your own. We have a job to do." She stares down the hole. Tugging a sunrod from her pack, Carin strikes it on the floor it ignite its light before throwing it down the trap door's hole, intent on watching how far it goes down; even if she couldn't watch it hit the bottom, she trusted that Agathe or Carin probably could.

Jarian
2011-04-17, 01:28 AM
Kekyn peeks over the edge of the pit as well, trying to gauge its depth.

Obligatory post so you don't think I've forgotten the game. So how about that pit?

BlueWizard
2011-04-17, 02:24 AM
Past 30 feet the sunrod disappears into magical darkness, maybe 100 feet and there is a clunk. Carin was sure it was her sunrod.

It is at this point when something humanoid, but inky black like a shadow starts climbing up the ladder out of the magical darkness.

It climbs fast, but you will all still have the initial jump on it.

As usual Lois is out of position to make an attack of opportunity. :smallamused:

Amnestic
2011-04-17, 07:44 AM
Seeing the odd shadow and deciding on its hostile intentions (well it's not as if anything in here's been particularly pleasant so far, she still felt the drain of the poison from her earlier battle), Carin proceeds to ready herself to drop an icy column on the foe which is fast closing against the group. Pebblethief beside her also readies to strike.

Ready Action: Icy Touch. [roll0]+10% cold damage, inflicts Frost Fever. DC17 Fort save halves.
Trigger: Shadowy thing comes in 20' range.

Pebblethief-
Ready Action: Gnaw. Foe must make DC15 Fort save or be Immobilised for one round and take automatic ([roll1]+[roll2])*2 damage.
Trigger: Shadowy Thing enters melee range.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-17, 06:33 PM
Agathe readies her blade. She steps around the manhole and beckons Lois forward. The impenetrable darkness put Agathe on edge, he scans its surface with alert. {Ready action to attack the shadow: [roll0] for [roll1]}

BlueWizard
2011-04-18, 04:01 AM
Kekyn will try electricity out, firing a jolt down the hole, but will make the discovery that whatever it is, is immune to electricity. Agathe waiting near the hole will see this. Carin waiting with her icy touch will notice as well.

Lois will creep forward and meekly pull out her unreadied crossbow.

This thing is fast and it moves as soon as your set-up happens.
It practically flies up the ladder and takes a swipe at the mean looking Carin in armor. As this happens she will retaliate with her held icy touch, she will find to her dismay, this thing is immune to COLD as well.

Agathe puts a mighty blow into the aberrant humanoid, she cuts deeply into it, but gets little 'reward' as there is no blood, and it just opens to dark inky flesh? And not all the damage went through as it seems capable of even possibly healing its wounds. It seems very demonic in power to Carin.

It's clawed fist slams into Carin and rips into her side a vicious gash, but nothing she can't handle for the moment. {D: 10}

As you all act, Agathe and Carin are engaged with this thing with NO eyes, it is an all black face, with no nose or mouth. And as you look at it all of you will have to resist the fear that it instills in you.

Lois screams, "Bahamut has left me!!!" She weeps, backing away. Though she doesn't flee, even though it is the feeling all of you experience as you stare at this thing. Luckily, even Lois's will was strong enough.

Kekyn is in ranged position to hit this wicked looking humanoid poised over the trap door.

Begin the Battle!

Initiatives:
Kekyn 16+2
Agathe 11+3
Lois
Carin 2+1 hp: 23/33
Dark-shadowy-humanoid

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-18, 07:10 PM
Agathe pursues the shadowy apparition, maneuvering to flank it {5 ft. step to flank}. She kicks over the trapdoor with a slam, cutting the demon's retreat short and reminding it of her hazardous presence {Move action?}. In a flash, Agathe presses her assault on the umbrous monster {Attack [roll0] for [roll1]}.

Amnestic
2011-04-19, 07:58 AM
Carin recoils a bit from the attack, but bears it with a smirk. "That all you've got you waste of flesh!?" She yells as her blade cuts the air with a wail from the caverns of death itself. Pebblethief lashes out in turn, striking with all its not inconsiderable undead might.

I'm assuming Pebblethief's Gnaw didn't do anything.

Standard-
Plague Strike: [roll0] (Normal attack, +2 flanking, -2 Power Attack)Infects Blood Plague on hit.
Damage: [roll1]+10% = 17.

Pebblethief-
Damage: [roll3]+[roll4] cold.

Damage: [roll6]+[roll7] cold.

Damage: [roll9]+[roll10] cold.

Runes: BBFFU
Runic Power: 11/100

Jarian
2011-04-19, 01:43 PM
Kekyn pauses, considering, then brings her shield about in a spinning, two-handed bash at the head of the creature.

Two-hand shield bash, Primal Strike.

[roll0] for [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

BlueWizard
2011-04-19, 09:27 PM
Retro: Pebblethief is there in the shadows and will have attempted to bravely aid, but is unable to cause it enough damage to hurt it.
It might be Carin's wild guess, but cold-wrought iron would be possibly better for this demonic seeming lesser night-crawler? That was her best guess, just from the little Arcana she heard talk.

Moving into the now crowded closet, Kekyn bashes the thing in the side with her shield (much to Cemal's dismay), she surprisingly hurts it a little! It glances at her briefly, but at the moment doesn't consider her to be the main threat.

Agathe's mighty sword attack causes this lesser creature from the Abyss to almost take pause.

Lois gets it together, and fires her crossbow successfully into melee. Unfortunately, the bolt falls out of the dark-thing, and the hole closes.

Carin will discover that it is immune to her diseases, lending it to have some undead characteristics as well. Pebblethief is a little more effective this round causing the monster some pain. It is hard to see how wounded this thing is. {OOC- Is there non-disease damage in the plague strikes, that might hurt it? And yes, you will all definitely level if you survive this thing! :smallcool: Even Lois!!}

Carin is critically struck in the head as it tries to club her with both fists, and then rake with its hind legs. {OOC- Attacking in a very similar way to the strange alien cat beast - that I poorly described to you before... But, it is as if the alien-predator-cat taught this dark-thing its rear-rake-attack.} Luckily, for Carin the creature can't leap up for the rake attack properly- as it missed with its other slam. The initial critical strike to Carin's head was bad enough! {d:20- critical!}

End Round 1--------------------------------->

Initiatives:
Kekyn 16+2
Agathe 11+3
Lois
Carin 2+1 hp: 3/33
Dark-shadowy-humanoid

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-19, 10:31 PM
{Slam? Agathe is using her magic longsword. If by any chance this thing's DR is overcome by magic...}

Agathe redoubles her blitz against the demon's back.

"You got bigger problems, creep!" Agathe slashes wildly, in a backhanded cut that carries the full measure her dead weight {Careful/Savage Strike [roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2]}

Amnestic
2011-04-20, 05:59 AM
Carin will lash out with her sword in retaliation for the painful attack, before stepping away from the creature to channel the damage into something more...useful. Pebblethief fills his master's spot and attempts to grab at the monster, hoping to pin it in place.

Plague Strike's damage is all 'normal' weapon damage. The disease it applies is separate and profane in nature. How does a humanoid have 'hind legs' anyway? o.O

Standard action:
Death Strike: [roll0] (Same as before, no power attack)
Damage: [roll1] (Base damage +1 per 2 class levels)
Heals for 25% of the damage last turn=5 damage on hit.

Move action: 5' step backwards

Swift action: Switch to Blood Presence. 30% more AC (AC=16), 10% less damage from all sources and gain 4HP.

Pebblethief will 5' step to enter Carin's now-empty space, putting him between Carin and the enemy. He will then attempt a Grapple.

-Provokes AoO
-Melee Touch: [roll2]
-Opposed Grapple Check: [roll3]

Forgot to include Icy Touch in my attack which means I'm now at
Runes: BB
Runic Power: 33

BlueWizard
2011-04-21, 01:43 AM
Retro: Carin caused damage, but disease did not take effect.

This creature seems supernatural to Carin, as if this dark form was adapting its body to the needs of the moment. When it thought it could gain the leverage to leap, its legs seem to fold up in prep for a jump in an awkward double-jointed matter. {OOC- Definitely should've described the attempt, but since rake failed, didn't continue.}

Kekyn will continue to assault the tough beast physically with her shield bash, it groans as she causes it a little pain.

However, it seems that Agathe's blow was the one that turned the tide. Her sword blow landed deep, and all of you felt it scream out telepathically, trying to irritate your minds.

Lois seems useless again with her crossbow shot, it actually deflected off of Carin's armor this time.

Carin ends any pain in her head when she cuts this thing in half. Agathe's blow was nearly-fatal enough, however Carin puts this thing to a swift end, and as it falls in half in the darkness and down the trapdoor, it seems to disappear, or pop back to the planes. It is hard to say, but there is no satisfying: thunk, when it hits the ground.

End Combat---------------------->

Injuries
Carin hp: 3/33

There is some hallway at the bottom of the ladder, 60 feet down. It is magically dark here.

Amnestic
2011-04-21, 08:31 AM
Carin sighed as the thing died. Things seemed to be going for her lately. Annoying. What was more annoying was the crossbow bolt which almost shot her in the back. Turning, Carin made her way over to Lois and very calmly grasped her by the collar, her metal gauntlet clinking as the plates moved. "We brought you along under the assumption that you would be useful to us. Shooting me in the back with your little toy does not qualify as useful. Shape up, or you'll become a liability." She put a stress on the last word before letting go and walking off, satisfied that the message was clear.

"So." This was to Kekyn and Agathe. "Should we head down?"

Jarian
2011-04-21, 09:31 AM
Kekyn looks over Carin's rather critical injuries with a a calm glance. "Are you sure you're up to the task, Carin? I can alleviate the worst of your injuries, but to mend most of them would likely expend the last of my power."

Amnestic
2011-04-21, 10:06 AM
"I...I think I can continue a while yet, though if you can heal the worst of it, without draining yourself too much, I would not object." Carin replies. It was true, she was in pain and her injuries were fairly severe, but after her little speech to Lois, having to hold the group back seemed a bit hypocritical.

BlueWizard
2011-04-21, 02:01 PM
OOC- My error, what goes on in my head may not be known to others...
At that point in the battle, with the strange thing standing over the trap-door, shutting it was not an option. This thing would've disappeared into shadows regardless.

Lois takes Carin's words critically and considers leaving. She nods and will be looking down the trap-door about to follow Carin down.

At this point something behind you will stop your progress. "Psst!" A voice comes from the entry hall to the large circular room. A man in black leather steps forward, once he takes the ninja mask off he seems familiar, but none of you have met him.

"You aren't prepared to go further!" His eyes are wide as they come into your light, and they seem full of fear. "I am Rabin. Candace was my sister. Have you found anything you can sell? I got a gnome friend that might be able to help supply you. Though... uhm... here..." he will present Carin with a couple of blue bottle potions that appear to be healing potions. "I got you covered on a few of these... be quick about this. I'm only down here as a favor to my sister. She wasn't supposed to go with you..." He seems saddened as if he already knows of the news of her death.

{OOC- Oh, and +5000 XP.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-21, 11:30 PM
Foe dispatched, Agathe lapses into her decrepit slouch. The awakened ghoul looks almost pitifully at Carin's mindless cohort. She lurches to Lois' side.

"Let's not blame police girl," Agathe grabs the bolter out of Lois' hands. She holds the mechanical bow out to Carin.

"If you'd rather feather beasties from a distance, be my guest. I'll keep Lois on her toes. In front." Agathe lays a cold arm along Lois' shoulders. She pulls the shaken ex-knight to her chest. The demonstration of maternal instinct is marred only by Agathe's hungered smile and all-to-keen fixation on Lois' cradled cranium.

Once Rabin announces his presence, Agathe turns to address the guildsman.

"Yes, well..." the news of familial death fails to warm her over, "We're delighted to make your acquaintance."

BlueWizard
2011-04-22, 02:07 AM
Rabin nervously looks about the circle room. "Look... uhm... When you go back to town... you know... If you find artifacts. Look me up. I know a good deal, but I'm not crazy like you guys. This used to be demon lands, and I ain't into that.

Anyway... Don't know if you found anything... but I think you need more supplies. Uhm... what were you getting paid? Did Candace pay you guys? Look, I don't know what she was doing, but we were in on this situation for a while. We know people who will pay a lot for some of this crap."

Amnestic
2011-04-22, 02:57 PM
Carin stuck her nose up at the crossbow offered to her. "I'm just asking for competence; it's not an unreasonable request."

Carin takes the potions offered by Rabin. With a short "Ta," she uncorks one and drains it. It tasted...well, like magic. Not necessarily unpleasant. Weird. Tingly. After finishing it all, she licked the last droplets from her lips before continuing. "We were getting paid; she promised upwards of 100 platinum for each object of 'value' that we found. We intend to collect on that promise."

Police Girl? (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__oy2yXBO8-s/S7q3175ZS8I/AAAAAAAALxU/CnVv4eskAIo/s640/Seras%2BVictoria.jpg) ;D

I took the liberty of totalling up what we've acquired so far.

Armour:-
Plate Mail (Trampled)- In need of repair for use.
Full Plate- Needs to be refitted by a blacksmith for use.
Heavy Steel Shield
Mithral Chain- (I think Agathe took this?)
Shredded Leather Armour- Taken off Candace's body. Might be able to sell the scraps. See her longsword for musings.

Weapons:-
Non-magical Heavy Pick
"Impressively powerful" Magical Longsword- (I think Agathe took this too)
Assorted picks/shovels
A second magical longsword- Unclaimed so far?
A basic longsword
Candace's Silver Longsword- We might be able to sell this back to her brother for a higher price than we'd get on the market for it. Or get a 'reward' for our 'generosity'. Or whatever. We should probably point him in the direction of her corpse and/or grave. Might be able to get something more out of him.

Assorted Junk:-
Two 'Black Circle' Holy Symbols- Might be able to sell these to a church for bonus loots. Owning another religion's Holy Symbols might come in handy for them, or they might want to simply destroy them so they'd pay more than the market will.
A bunch of Healing Potions from Rabin- Carin has so far drunken 1 (one) until she knows just how potent they are.

Wealth:-
120 Platinum
455 Gold
152 Copper
Approximately 50 gems (Not sure if this is just Candace's or if that number is including the gem pouch taken off of one of the Void Knights).

In Addition-
We recieved 50 platinum each at the start of the game, plus however much gold you had left over from character creation. Sadly, BlueWizard's DM Ex Machina killing Derick didn't allow us to loot his corpse and the Platinum/Gold he took from the Void Knights.

As such, not counting the gems since we're not sure as to their exact monetary value as of yet, each character has acquired 80 Platinum, 113 gold, 7 silver, 43 copper. Roughly.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-22, 05:30 PM
{True dat. Agathe took the mithril chainmail & unidentified flaying object. A vaguely Germanic, undead sharpshooter referencing Kouta Hirano's Hellsing? Perish the thought. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz8A6f4r2do) Although, with Heavenly Salvo and Shadow Ascendant in her build, Agathe may be taking a detour into 'pious shootist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuGeqfVoPvQ)'}

Agathe stirs at Rabin's offer.

"That's a mighty fine proposition, but does this gnome friend of yours make house calls. We've only begun excavating the place."

BlueWizard
2011-04-23, 04:34 AM
{OOC- With PCs dropping in and out all the time I have to limit fellow-PC looting...}

"Well, look..." Rabin sighs looking at the equipment you possess. "If what you got is any indication... I'd say you need some extra stuff. For beginners, I think that demon won't be the first you come across that will need cold iron in order to properly hurt it. Unless you're one of those legendary alchemists who can turn lead into gold. Anyway... I have a... selfish reason for revealing myself. My girlfriend went down there with Candace, she died. Well, if you could bring me the signet ring she wore... I think Candace said she's below those priest-rooms. I'd be grateful, and I know her father would give a little reward to bury..." He doesn't want to go on deeply on this subject.

Lois takes her sword out, and tries to stay hidden and silent while Rabin talks.

If Rabin sees the silver sword of Candace he just might weep openly.
Regarding gnomes and house-calls, Rabin smiles, "Funny, you should say that... Ootinay said he'd rather meet you down here, and I must say he is a fair-trade and priced according to standard planar prices. Place is swarming with hobgoblins up there now. I think they plan to move in. Make a village or something."

Armour:-
Plate Mail (Trampled)- In need of repair for use.
Full Plate- Needs to be refitted by a blacksmith for use.
Heavy Steel Shield
Mithral Chain- (Agathe- wears)
Candace's Shredded Leather Armour- {Maybe a few silver pieces to a leather-worker specifically... Easier to carry some silver pieces.}
Weapons:-
Non-magical Heavy Pick
"Impressively powerful" Magical Longsword- (Y'all letting Agathe get everything... :smallamused:)
Assorted picks/shovels- {on the horse right?}
2nd magical longsword- Unclaimed so far? {Lois will take... :smalltongue:}
A longsword
Candace's Silver Longsword- {I believe it might be minorly magical.}

Assorted Junk:-
Two 'Black Circle' Holy Symbols- Lois's dragon-worshiping- "police" friends would want to know about these Void Holy Symbols.

Rabin's case of 12 potions: Cure Light Wounds
{He will give them to you free of charge.}
"I always end up breaking them. This case is good too, helps hold the shock in case of impact. Holds 12, but it is sort of a hassle to open in combat. Good for travel though. I sell them for the Guild. Feel free to put my name out there. Rabin's Potion Cases. You'll see. They'll catch on especially out here, I want all the newbs to see you bad-asses with one."

Wealth:-
120 Platinum
455 Gold
152 Copper
45 gems of Candace
8 gems of Void Knight

In Addition-
50 platinum each.

{Do not forget the Jewels from Room #2.}

Rabin once he values the wealth you have he smiles. "Oh, yes, I think we can make a quick house call."

He will pull out a strange green scroll and read some lesser Sending Spell. Moments later an unassuming gnome will appear via teleport and be prepared to make a deal.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-23, 08:30 PM
Agathe's eyes drift to the ceiling upon mention of the hobgoblin scenario.

"It's their grave if they like."

Agathe watches silently as Rabin conjures their diminutive, planeswalking arms-dealer.

"Salutations. We've got something of a demon infestation to clean out. If you carry any blackpowder on you, I'm looking for a pound of powder and a new piece."

{I'll take this opportunity to update Agathe's mundane equipment and post a shopping list in the OOC.}

Jarian
2011-04-24, 12:31 AM
"No need to use so many of the potions just yet, Carin. Give me a moment to see to your wounds..."

Kekyn weaves the now-familiar strands of pulsing green light, which flow out from her fingertips to flow over Carin's body, stitching together torn flesh and mending other minor injuries.

Healing Wave for [roll0] healing.

BlueWizard
2011-04-24, 06:20 AM
A little unassuming rock gnome with a big bulbous nose, and fancy gray-white robes will teleport before you. He will have a catalog, and seem reasonable. It will take sometime for him to get back.

Rabin will do you a favor and pay the rushed job-fee, so that you all can be up and running by evening.

You all could rest longer, but underground it makes no difference, and while you rest, and wait in the underground with watches you can get some rest.

Rabin will leave as soon as the gnome is gone, and he promises the gnome will return. The gnome will expect at least half the fee up-front, which should be a big chunk of the valuables.

"Hey... uh... if you don't want it..." He smiles at Kekyn, and points at the case.

BlueWizard
2011-04-25, 01:27 AM
The rock gnome is clearly high-powered, and his mere presence keeps you 'novices' subdued, even the undead among you. This is epic-presence.

He is excited about selling strange gunpowder weapons to Agathe, and he knows just where to go. When talk of these strange guns come up, he will become very interested in doing business. He will even make a point to give Agathe a card, "For future sales. I'm pretty quick, as I can adjust things in time. But, I'll usually respond quick enough. And this here Guild-fellow is footing the bill for speed. You know I must say I do like working with your employer..."
He will go on, and seem to open up to Agathe in particular.

Agathe will have an orange painted wooden card. There are red runes, and a few languages. Agathe will see it is different names of Ootinay, some much longer gnomish or elven names of his. "Just hold the card forth, and say my name."

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-25, 05:41 PM
Agathe haggles over the price of an assortment of trinkets {Backpack et al. 63g 1s 6c}. Ootinay's assortment of blackpowder gadgets intrigues Agathe fiercely. Initially, the huntress fawns over a vintage smoothbore blunderbuss.

"Ooh, a real dwarven thunderstick. Perfect for these caves."

...until a boomstick, double-barreled, 2 cm in diameter each, captures her fancy. The oak handle and blackened iron barrels came apart along a hinge, presenting a handy breach for loading. Agathe lifts the handcannon with a trembling awe.

"I'll be taking this one."

Agathe pays the gnome for a bundle of powder and cartridges. She's irrepressibly eager to load the firearms, strapping the blunderbuss' holster to her trousers and cradling the boomstick in her weathered-to-the-bone elbows; she's even more eager to use them.

{2.9k for the boomstick, 250 for the blunderbuss, 30 for blunderbuss ammo, 20 for boomstick ammo, 35 for 2 lbs. gunpowder, 100 for 2 lbs. refined gunpowder}

BlueWizard
2011-04-25, 06:16 PM
Ootinay seems to love bartering with Agathe, and says he has a good friend who's hobby is blackpowder weaponry.

Ootinay will have a lot of hassle and haggle over the price of the Travel Cloak with Carin, but will agree to Carin's price on that item. When he leaves, he says he will consider the Anklets, and Carin gets the feeling she may have convinced him.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-27, 01:24 AM
"Walk this way."

Agathe shuffles toward the shadowy trapdoor. The holster strapped to her thigh exaggerates her stiff gait into a faint limp. She re-opens the hatch and shimmies down.

"Y'say this whole 'death knight' career of yours was... an accident?" she poses the question from beyond the shadow's pale. The undead scout keeps making conversation, leading by the sound of her voice.

"I never met a real necromancer. I mean... I mean, you don't seem like one. Not smart enough."

"I mean tweedy!"

BlueWizard
2011-04-28, 06:37 AM
Even before Ootinay is gone a minute, Kekyn will take her healthy share and depart, risking the woods above and the hobgoblins.

{OOC- And Kekyn gets a 'safe' retirement.}

Lois is scared, and not sure she got a cut. She will bail with Kekyn if not supplied. Risking the hobgoblins. "I need something..."

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-28, 08:44 PM
{Alrighty then. I've been tweaking Agathe's plotted class/feat progression. More Dark Ranger, less Shadow Ascendant. Possibly some Martial Study feats and Rapid Reload (boomstick) Lightning Reload. Also, unless one of the new PC's is using it, Agathe will convert to the more legible Gray.}

"Carin?"

Agathe realizes no one is following her after the first several feet. She crawls back up the trap door to find Lois by her lonesome. "Just my luck..."

Agathe hands the wayward knight their nearest sack of loot.

"Well, pick something out yourself! I'm not going to make your decision for you."

As Lois digs through the assorted armor and armaments, Agathe makes a verbal assessment of their expedition.

"I ain't goin' no further till we have a proper arcanist and cleric. And I ain't goin' into town without you. The hobgobbos, now that's our problem. I say we camp out the entrance to this dungeon and make a break for it as soon as there's an open road to civilization."

BlueWizard
2011-04-28, 11:36 PM
Kekyn was escorted out by the gnome, but Carin had stayed with her entourage.

Lois was heading down the trapdoor with Agathe now that she got some minor 'loot'. :smallcool:

Agathe will go up to check on Carin to find her gone, and ugly dretches gnawing on Pebblethief's dead corpse. No sign of the deathcharger or Carin. Lois sees this and squeals! "This is suicide!! Maybe we should get more help!!"

{OOC- Carin is gone. No sign of her or the deathcharger and its gear.}

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-29, 01:23 AM
Agathe gives her best attempt at a half-lidded glare, but months of not having to blink leaves her unequipped to express her displeasure. The corpsey ranger limps back through the chamber with the twelve doors and preceding hallway. She levels her boomstick at the feasting dredges, but shuffles past without pulling the trigger. {Move Silently: [roll0]}

When she and Lois reach the foot of the stairs leading out of the temple, Agathe turns to address her fellow soldier of fortune.

"I can think of two things we ought to be doing now. Looking for that whore blackguard. And looking for her rotted steed, what's got all our spoils."

{Track check to follow Carin:[roll1]}

BlueWizard
2011-04-29, 03:03 PM
It is night when Agathe and Lois lumber out of the underground. The buzz of woodland nightlife is subtle, but reminds them that they are both in nature once again. Though as Losi and Agathe approach things do go silent. Undead and humans tend to do this.

"Luckily, you got your items from the gnome, first."

Agathe will see that Carin didn't leave via normal methods. And may think to the demon that teleported away with the rogue.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-29, 05:11 PM
Agathe nods, consoled by their present stash of loot.

"S'pose yer right. That knave better pray those demons get to her before I do. The next 'adventurer' that leaves me to die gets a slug in the gut."

Agathe thoughts drift to their derelict shaman. She tilts her head, raising an ear to the ambient sounds of the purported hobgoblin camp nearby.

"Stay here. I want to survey the camp's perimeter. See that we don't run into one of their patrols when we leave at dawn."

She slips off her targe, tying it to her overstuffed backpack by a cord {to avoid the check penalty}. Agathe creeps into the underbrush, hunched over and climbing over her free hand to keep low {Spot: [roll0] and Hide [roll1]}.

BlueWizard
2011-04-30, 02:34 AM
It appears to Agathe, as she sneaks up through the woods at night, that the hobgoblins are building some large structure. Bugbears do the hard labor, goblins do minor tasks, and hobgoblin soldiers seem to be in-charge. They are erecting a wooden structure, and some naked, hairy hippies are having intense discussions with the goblinoids about which trees to cut, and not to cut.

BlueWizard
2011-04-30, 06:33 AM
Agathe will see that some of the hobgoblins spot her, and will be curious, not violent.

GrassyGnoll
2011-04-30, 04:00 PM
Agathe returns the gaze of her hobgoblin observers. The awakened ghoul stands erect and turns back to the temple-proper. She reports to Lois the unusual welcome.

"The goblins that struck your patrol. What did they look like?"

Agathe broods over their precarious predicament through the night. She stares into the ruins and surrounding brush, standing vigil as she tends to do.

BlueWizard
2011-05-01, 08:31 AM
Lois is scared of the woods, and shrugs, "I don't remember... there are so many here...." She has been silent this whole time, scared at all the potential danger around her.

As long as you guys don't cause trouble both of you will not bother the hobgoblins. Though Lois does remove her blue shreds of her tunic, however her armor is clearly made from the Northern Queen's fine armor-factories.

This coming day will find this woodland valley even more beset by goblinoids.

GrassyGnoll
2011-05-01, 01:37 PM
"Sometimes you break camp, sometimes camp breaks on you..."

Agathe nods in approval as Lois shreds the insignia of her old allegiances.

"¿Will this be too... difficult..."

The emotionally-barren Forsaken stares at Lois for the one detail she cannot detect. The last two days had been hard enough, even she felt unsettled in her corpsey shell.

Unsettled. Agathe's cold hands run down the barrel of her deliverance. Unsettled was the wrong word. She was moved. Of late, Agathe had struggled with a crisis of faith. Why Pelor's light no longer shone on her, the fate of her son, eternity and the unmarked grave that yawned to swallow her up whole. The pair of survivors were proof, living or not, that Pelor did save. Agathe's mechanical arm seemed to her no longer a mean tool for survival, but the instrument of her Lord.

"We'll treat with the hobgoblins then. If they don't know the Guilds' business here, we can split the contract between the two of us." the ranger asserts. She begins to lead the knight in the direction of the hobgoblin camp.

BlueWizard
2011-05-01, 02:37 PM
A black robed priestess and several goblinoid servants are moving through the woods with lots of gear, and equipment. Large lizards seem to be their pack animals. Lois will hide her armor, wrapping her blanket around her as a cloak.
This hobgob-priestess will invite the two visitors as guests to her camp. She will also answer any questions Agathe might have of these lands. She speaks imperial-common, "I know a thing or two."

GrassyGnoll
2011-05-01, 02:59 PM
"What is the goblins' history in this country?"

Agathe stays tight-lipped about the pairs' business. She introduces herself as a wilderness guide and trapper. At first the undead shares unaffected pleasantries then, realizing the manner of goblins differed greatly from her own cultural programming, begins to speak flatly and in an imperial-business tone.

BlueWizard
2011-05-01, 03:07 PM
"We come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, we come up we get squashed, then we make deal with humans of Diamondell."

GrassyGnoll
2011-05-01, 07:06 PM
{IC is still night, I presume. Agathe may need some time to make a Craft check. Gunpowder is a DC 15 check in the WoW splat, but Agathe is just hammering out a few jagged lumps of shrapnel for boom ball/blunderbuss ammo. Agathe's craft is a subset of (technological devices) from said splatbook. }

"To new ventures," Agathe toasts in an perky rasp, "Say, can you lead me to a smith? I have a few new ventures to set in crucibles and shell. I'll pay generously for cold iron or silver scrap."

BlueWizard
2011-05-02, 01:56 AM
Agathe will probably have to aid this blacksmith hobgoblin she is hooked up with. He and a team of goblin servants were one of the first 'set-up's' and is in the woods near the great wooden structure being built rapidly.

Likely, Agathe will spend time finding what she needs, but this smith is so fascinated by this process he will watch and learn, and let Agathe have free reign of the shop. This smith will even have one of the leather-wearing goblins assist Agathe if need be.

For now Lois will camp out hiding in the woods, and wait for Agathe.

Time will pass, Agathe might want to rest or can stay up all the next day. At some point in the afternoon there will be a gross ritual orgy-sacrifice to Baalzebub, where a human priestess and tiefling will be invited to partake in. Agathe might rather hang with the smith or less religious hobgoblins.

Agathe will find that the hobgoblins and their goblin-kin servant plan on settling in this woodland valley, and have no interest in exploring the ruins. All say it is too dangerous, and there are demons down there!! They are moving here, because of an agreement with the Lady of Diamondell.

There is another smith that has a few cold iron weapons, but Agathe is unsure how sound these weapons are.

There are mostly goblinoids about, but there are naked hairy hippies, as well as a hobbit, Thir-kreen, and cat-folk she will spot hanging around this place with the non-religious hobgoblin officers in the evening.

GrassyGnoll
2011-05-02, 02:28 AM
Agathe's work is unspectacular. She pounds jagged shard of metal scrap into smaller, more jagged buckshot. She removes the shrapnel from some of her mundane boomballs to fill with cold iron. She repurposes eight shells in this manner and mixes the remaining cold iron scrap amongst her pouch of blunderbuss shot.

{The eight boomballs have a market value of 16s, Agathe will craft 10g worth of shot (6 reloads). So, 116s -8s (raw materials/boomballs) and another 29 silver for the craft check, plus whatever tax the gobbos levy. Craft (+2 for assistant, +2 for tools): [roll0]}

Agathe stays in the smiths' company throughout the Hellish ritual. To pass the time, she finds a game of cards or market performer. Agathe talks about the trek from human civilization out to the ruins ("So then a giant demon ape snatched up the rogue and...").

BlueWizard
2011-05-02, 02:50 AM
Agathe will still amaze the smith, and many other goblinoids who will gather to watch. The smith will chase them away, but the smith likes the attention his business is getting.

Agathe will see some small stages with terrible performances by bad goblin acting troupes, there are more on stage than watching.

There are also gambling venues, and as Agathe's 'worth' among these goblin-villagers has grown, she is sought out by hobgoblin officers for their card and dice games. Though Agathe will quickly see that cheating is the way... just don't get caught. Agathe will have a tough time winning anything fairly among these non-religious goblin-folk. They worship various goblin-gods, but Baalzebub is supreme.

All goblin-folk will fear Agathe's tales, and go running for fear of them. It is clear none of the goblin-folk have any interest in going into the underground.

{OOC- I am almost ready to link you. At some point after the ceremony, there will be orgies, but the night-life of the rest of the goblin-community is still alive and doing other things. At this point, real late, like 3 am, I think you will meet the halfling, thir-kreen, and cat-folk. They or the tiefling will want to know how to get into the underground, and wow, lucky us. Agathe has been there.:smallcool: Agathe need not tell them what she is being paid, since they are not part of her deal. :smallwink:

Another thing, you are a survivor, that deserves something. Go up anther level so Agathe can truly be a bad-ass among the new group. Until they catch up. :smallamused:}

GrassyGnoll
2011-05-02, 05:22 AM
Cognizant of the officers' fleecing, Agathe wagers little and folds often. She plays the table instead of the pot; chumming with the goblins and trying her own hand at sleight. Her cheating is more obvious, but she's just as eager to step outside with the aggrieved.

Agathe thinks absently of Lois. Whether the knight was not safer at camp. Agathe was a firm believer in the buddy-system. She just needed more buddies.

"So what're the priestess and devil's spawn in these ruins for? Only cult I've seen out here is them Voidites. Heard of 'em?"

BlueWizard
2011-05-02, 03:37 PM
The hobgoblin officers who speak with Agathe spit. "Void! Bah! Hate Void!" All the goblins will spit when discussing the Voidites. They will not know why the hellions are here, but the chief will think it is a blessing.

At some point in the night after the ceremony, Agathe will encounter the hobbit, cat-folk, and Thir-kreen while she is losing minorly at cards.

{OOC- Don't worry about the money-losses for now, it will be some 'excess' she had left over. I will link you from here when the moment is right.}

BlueWizard
2011-05-04, 02:42 AM
The next day will pass and into the night, Agathe will skip the sacrifices, and will probably not want to include Lois in the village right now... since she thinks two of the mostly naked women in cages had tattered blue-silver necklaces of the platinum dragon.

While gambling on her 2nd evening with the hobgoblin officers, she will officially meet the strangers, as they likely approach her about finding the underground lost city....

{Link here to move on to the IC thread:
Minions of Power (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10919850#post10919850)

OOC- You can resolve anything here if needed, but I will be closing this thread shortly. You only need to read the last post I made. :smallwink: