PDA

View Full Version : Spring or Buckle

piemaester
2010-07-05, 05:31 PM
I am creating a fighting character (combination of many classes) that focuses on movement, damage, and is capable of TWF and THW. I was just curious of which would be more useful, spring attack or improved buckler defence? Mobility and dodge will be aquired anyways, so the requirementrs don't worry me.

Any other feats good at keeping the character from being hit would also be welcome as a replacement to either.

Heliomance
2010-07-05, 05:37 PM
Elusive Target. Get Elusive Target. It's hilarious.

Greenish
2010-07-05, 05:42 PM
Sidestep/Evasive Reflexes & Hold the Line.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-05, 05:45 PM
Spring attack isn't of much use for you, given you really want to full attack with TWF.

Another_Poet
2010-07-05, 07:36 PM
Spring attack isn't of much use for you, given you really want to full attack with TWF.

Seconded. Spring attack isn't much use in general. Mobility is alright, though not a strong feat.

Impr. Buckler Defence is not bad, but not great. You can just enchant the buckler for more AC and spend your valuable feat elsewhere :)

Those mentioned in the above posts are the best choices.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-05, 07:40 PM
Go TWF and take a level of barbarian with lion totem for pounce. Or take a level of swordsage to gain the first tiger claw strike, a standard action attack with both of your weapons.

Trying to think outside the box a bit.

PId6
2010-07-05, 07:43 PM
I am creating a fighting character (combination of many classes) that focuses on movement, damage, and is capable of TWF and THW.
There's your problem. In 3.5, mobility and damage are mostly mutually exclusive for non-casters, since the highest damage can be had only if you full attack. There are a few exceptions (Pounce, Travel Devotion, Shadow Pounce, martial adepts, etc), but Spring Attack is not one of them. If you want to use Spring Attack, you can have a very safe character through dipping Shadowdancer and using Hide in Plain Sight, but you're not going to be dealing much damage.

piemaester
2010-07-06, 09:34 AM
The build does have martial adept levels (Warblade) and elusive target is the reason he already has mobility. The way it works right now- When he can full round attack, he uses two weapons, but when making a single attack he uses a two handed weapon and power attack. Therefore a buckler is useless without the feat as he loses the bonus nearly anytime he attacks. However, his hp isnt that great so maybe being able to jump away is the better option.

Thanks for the imput! I have been wondering this for months.