PDA

View Full Version : Fey Spawn (PF race)

Calmar
2010-07-05, 05:57 PM
Hi :)

I'm toying with the idea of excluding the standard elves from my campaign, because I use a race of sidhe who are both slightly more powerful and who fill most of the roles of elves quite fine. Still I want players to have the option to play a 'nature-touched' race similar to elves. Fey spawn are crossbreeds of humans and fey (mostly sidhe).

What do you think about this race? :smallsmile:

(I know lots of people detest spell-like abilities. Just ignore them, if you don't like them)

FEY SPAWN

Throughout the mortal realms fey both fair and foul appear, especially in the times of twilight and in areas where nature is strong and the border between the material world and the Otherworld is thin.
Sometimes mortals and fey mate, may it be when a traveler succumbs to the charms of a fey enchantress that leaves the child of this liaison near a mortal settlement to be found, or when a lone woman disappears in the forest, only to give birth to a crossbreed many months thereafter. The offspring of these rare events are the fey spawn.
Fey spawn are often feared or even hated as changelings and murdered after birth. Similarly, most fey at best feel only pity, or at worst little more than disgust for these creatures tainted by mortality. Therefore fey spawn often leave the settlements where they grew up and chose to become adventurers in hope to find a place in the world.
Personality: The personality of a fey spawn largely depends upon the circumstances in which she grew up, but sometimes it shares similarity to that of its fey parent.
Physical Description: Not all fey spawn look similar and in fact their looks may vary greatly. Those who are descended from seelie fey are of a beauty that surpasses normal humans, while others have twisted and horrible appearances. Some look like humans, save for one feature of the fey parent, such as unusually long fingers, or the smell of moss, others like horrible caricatures of mortal men.
Relations: As the fey spawn are rare and their mortal parents are most often humans, the other races have no particular opinion towards them. The degree of acceptance they encounter in human communities almost always depends upon how far they look human or monstrous in human eyes.

Fey Spawn Racial Traits

• Con –2, Dex +2, Cha +2: Fey spawn share their fey ancestor’s self-assuredness that sometimes borders to haughtiness and agility, but tend to be physically frailer than humans.
• Medium size.
• Feytouched: Fey spawn are humanoids with the feytouched subtype. They are vulnerable to spells and effects that specifically target both humanoids and fey, such as charm person, or a fey bane weapon.
A new-born fey spawn seems to develop as fast as a human up to middle age, but no one has ever witnessed one dying of old age. It is rumoured that their life spans may equal that of elves.
• A fey spawn’s land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision: A fey spawn can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Weapon Proficiency: Fey Spawn receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.
• +2 racial bonus on +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, Spot, and Survival checks. A fey spawn who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• Favored Class: Any. The first character class in which a fey spawn takes a level becomes her favored class. Many fey spawn tend to be bards, sorcerers or rangers.

Not all fey spawn are alike. In addition to the abilities above, a fey spawn has one of the following qualities. The caster level of spell like abilities equals 1/2 the fey spawn's character level (minimum 1). Save DCs, where applicable, are Charisma-based (10 + spell level + fey spawn's Cha modifier).

d10 Special
01 DR 1/cold iron
02 +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
03 +2 racial saving throw bonus against illusion spells or effects.
04 charm person 1/day
05 disguise self 1/day
06 faerie fire 1/day
07 lesser confusion 1/day
08 pass without trace 1/day
09 silent image 1/day
10 speak with animals 1/day

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-05, 09:42 PM
The word "spawn" doesn't seem right, "kin" might be better.

Calmar
2010-07-07, 05:49 AM
The word "spawn" doesn't seem right, "kin" might be better.

That's a good suggestion. :smallsmile:

Any other opinions?

Mulletmanalive
2010-07-07, 12:26 PM
As it states that these creatures are "killed as Changelings" why not just go the whole hog and call them that.

There seems to be no specific problem with this; it's about as good as a gnome, which is pretty solid. I'd suggest that the GM aught to allow the player's a choice in their secondary quality, though people are resourceful and usually find a use for the most out of place spell like abilities.

MythMage
2010-07-07, 01:52 PM
Seems reasonably balanced. Not that interesting or different than an elf, but you did say this was meant to replace elves as a PC race. I agree that it ought to be up to the player which special bonus their PC gets.