PDA

View Full Version : The Armed Monk [Opt Challenge]

Lev
2010-07-05, 09:46 PM
Ok guys, here's a challenge for you:
What is the most effective weapon wielding monk in the game? Not counting improvised weapons of course.

3 Section staff seems to be a contender for choice of arm (has the full BAB and attack number as the monk gets with unarmed strikes), and can have any bonus that's legal for it's weapon due to the bard's transform weapon trick.

Boci
2010-07-05, 09:47 PM
Does swordsage count?

arguskos
2010-07-05, 09:56 PM
Uh, I'm not even sure what precisely you're asking for. Do you want Monk 20? Monk 1/anything 19? What qualifies as "monk" and what criteria are you looking for here? :smallconfused:

9mm
2010-07-05, 10:19 PM
best monk weapon? Quarterstaff. NEXT!

ok I guess I should elaberate:

1. it's a monk weapon so flurry, stunning
2. its a double weapon so two hand away or if you don't mind always missing twf with flurry
3. blugenioning so a target for whallop and it's greater cousin
4. is a staff so push comes to shove, the druid can have another spellstaff and changestaff at his disposale
5. cheap as hell.

The Cat Goddess
2010-07-05, 10:33 PM
Any "Monk" weapon with the enchantment that the Scorpion Kama (MiC) has on it.

There's a nice FR feat that lets you use a Longspear with Flurry...

Edit: In one of the Dragon Magazines there's a weapon called the Meteor Hammer... basically a big metal ball on a rope. An Exotic Reach Weapon that gives +2 to Disarms and can be used interchangably with unarmed strikes during a Flurry. A variant that does piercing, called the Rope Dart, also exists. Putting the ball on one end and the spike on the other seems perfectly valid to me. And the Scorpion Kama's enchantment and go wild.

The Shadowmind
2010-07-05, 10:34 PM
It you allow magic weapons, the it is the Scorpion Kama, a +1 kama that deals damage equal to the wielders unarmed strike. Wielding this is effective the same as enchanting the monk's fist in most cases.
Edit:Unarmed Swordsaged, how appropriate.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-05, 10:42 PM
Shiruken, two weapon fighting, master thrower to make touch attacks with ranged attacks, and strength and dex boosting items.

Optimystik
2010-07-05, 10:43 PM
I agree that you need to define "monk" as any PrC that specifies "X may continue advancing as a monk" would

For example, Shou Disciple opens any martial weapon up to the Monk and makes it 'flurry-able.' Similarly, Monk of the Enabled Hand improves the Monk's unarmed strike, making it considerably easier to disarm opponents with. If Dragon material is allowed, Reshape Mindblade lets a Soulknife turn their Mindblade into a monk's Unarmed Strike - this would allow a Kalashtar monk/soulknife to "theurge" into Atavist and advance both simultaneously.

So to reiterate, we need a few more guidelines on what is permitted - particularly in terms of PrCs, sources, and feats allowed.