PDA

View Full Version : Joke Troper

Zexion
2010-07-05, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the Joke Troper... thread! Where I show off my Joke Troper comic strips! Forced enthusiasm (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CurbYourEnthusiasm) for the win!
CURRENT STRIP
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8388/007goldenageofanimation.png

ALL STRIPS

007 Golden Age of Animation (http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8388/007goldenageofanimation.png)
006 Five Episode Pilot (http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6377/006fiveepisodepilot.png)
005 A Wizard Did It (http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3984/005awizarddidit.png)
004 Rule of Animation Conservation (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2731/004ruleofanimationconse.png)
003 Bullet Time (From The Matrix) (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5285/003bullettime.png)
002 This! Is! Sparta! (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3876/002thisissparta.png)
001 Involuntary Shapeshift (http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8096/001involuntaryshapeshif.png)

New comics on Mondays and Thursdays, because they're so short because I'm so hardworking!

Green-Shirt Q
2010-07-07, 07:54 AM
I don't understand. Does the website TvTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) really lend itself that well to humour? :smallconfused:

The only TvTropes joke I could understand anybody trying to make is this one (http://xkcd.com/609/). And it's been done before, several times, by everyone else who reads TvTropes.

So, I can understand making one comic for TvTropes, but a whole fancomic dedicated to it? Updating TWICE a week, no less! That will be an accomplishment.

I'm not sure I even understand the first joke you made. Are you making fun of the fact that there is a trope dedicated to voluntary shapeshifting, but not involuntary shapeshifting, which is funny because they didn't need to specify if they weren't going to make an opposite trope? Because they did (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InvoluntaryShapeshifting). And there is also Baleful Polymorph (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BalefulPolymorph) which represents something similar, that I think better represents your comic in the first place.

Are you making fun of the fact that on a philosophical level, Involentary Shapeshifting isn't a trope in the sense that it dosen't deserve to be a trope? As in there are requirements to meet and a level of honor that the trope simply does not possess? Because it seems like a pretty good trope to me.

Was it because apples are funny? I don't think that has a lot to do with TvTropes.

:confused:

Lord Raziere
2010-07-07, 09:20 AM

wow. My predictions were right. :smalleek:

what was my prediction? That the fourth-wall would eventually be broken down so far and so often that eventually there would be comics that don't actually tell a story, just lampshade tropes and talk about them lifelessly without actually using them.....

honestly. wow. I hoped this would not come true. Sorry, I'm sure you are gonna tell funny jokes and all that....I just hoped this day wouldn't come.

last time. wow I actually predicted this. :smalleek:

Lord Loss
2010-07-07, 10:40 AM
Could be great. Could be atrocious. So far it's enjoyable. time will tell, it seems.

I hope a storyline will be thrown in at some point, though.

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-07, 02:36 PM
I hope you're not just going to hit "random" on tvtropes and make a comic about whatever comes up. That would truly be a disgrace.
-Xavez

Zexion
2010-07-07, 11:51 PM
I hope you're not just going to hit "random" on tvtropes and make a comic about whatever comes up. That would truly be a disgrace.
-Xavez
No, of course not!

And to all the... naysayers, this is a comic idea that I'm testing out. It might work well, it might not. Personally, I hope it is going to have maybe twenty or thirty strips by the time I run out of ideas. There may be a miniature plotline, but it will probably be based more on archetypes than a dynamic plot.

Maximum Zersk
2010-07-08, 01:04 AM
That the fourth-wall would eventually be broken down so far and so often that eventually there would be comics that don't actually tell a story, just lampshade tropes and talk about them lifelessly without actually using them.....

Nah, the fourth wall left a while back. Said something about "A job prospect somewhere around the Pleiades."

Funny thing is I had an idea like this a while back.

Lord Raziere
2010-07-08, 01:35 AM
Nah, the fourth wall left a while back. Said something about "A job prospect somewhere around the Pleiades."

Funny thing is I had an idea like this a while back.

that is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't even have anything against the comic itself, I'm just saddened that I actually predicted the concept would come about and was right, because to me the concept just sounds lifeless and boring.

Zexion
2010-07-08, 11:49 AM
that is exactly what I'm talking about. I don't even have anything against the comic itself, I'm just saddened that I actually predicted the concept would come about and was right, because to me the concept just sounds lifeless and boring.
No offense, but I hope to prove you wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Zexion
2010-07-08, 10:23 PM
New comic's up! I hope it will be received with more enthusiasm than the last one! :smalltongue:

Green-Shirt Q
2010-07-09, 08:43 AM
:smallconfused:

How does this relate to the making fun of TvTropes other than the title of one of them?! Isn't this more movie related, or meme related?

Why is the Sparta-guy so much bigger than the dude he's kicking?!

How would wearing sandals while kicking hurt your toes?!

EXPLAIN, COMIC! EXPLAAAAAAAIN! :furious:

Nah, I'm just kidding. :smalltongue: This one was a lot more straightforward, and funny, than the first comic you did.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on the explanation of THAT comic! :confused:

Lord Loss
2010-07-09, 10:51 AM

How does this relate to the making fun of TvTropes other than the title of one of them?! Isn't this more movie related, or meme related?

How would wearing sandals while kicking hurt your toes?!

Nah, I'm just kidding. :smalltongue: This one was a lot more straightforward, and funny, than the first comic you did.

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on the explanation of THAT comic! :confused:

Give the Kid a break :biggrin:. He wrote a good comic. We wait for more before judging...

Zexion
2010-07-09, 12:00 PM

It's... kind of both. Basically, it makes fun of stuff that happenes in movies, books, comics and TV shows.

The other guy is falling down the pit.
[QUOTE=Green-Shirt Q;8884096]How would wearing sandals while kicking hurt your toes?!

Yeah, I always thought the first comic was my worst, frankly. Which reminds me, I'm currently working on a real plot! It should start around Strip 10 or 11. :smallbiggrin:

Teutonic Knight
2010-07-11, 03:41 PM
When you kick someone, you usually use either the ball of your foot, or your heel. Only an inexperienced person would kick with his toes.

Then again, this is Sparta, and these guys were trained since they were kids.

Dose of reality. :smallbiggrin:

Threeshades
2010-07-11, 04:17 PM
When you kick someone, you usually use either the ball of your foot, or your heel. Only an inexperienced person would kick with his toes.

An inexperienced person or someone who is well aware of the steelcaps in their boots. :smallbiggrin:

Teutonic Knight
2010-07-11, 04:34 PM
An inexperienced person or someone who is well aware of the steelcaps in their boots. :smallbiggrin:

I've never seen real steel-toed boots. I'm assuming steelcaps are the same? A piece of metal on top of where the toes should be?

Anyways, who wears those these days?

Threeshades
2010-07-11, 04:45 PM
I've never seen real steel-toed boots. I'm assuming steelcaps are the same? A piece of metal on top of where the toes should be?

Anyways, who wears those these days?

:smalleek: lots of people do. Mainly assorted with subcultures, such as metal, gothic and punk.

Yeah its a peice of metal inside the front of the boot. I don't know what purpose it's originally supposed to serve but it does turn kicking with your toes into something painful for the target instead of for the assailant.

I feel I should say something on the comic, because I don't want to hold off topic conversations here:
I've gotta say I didn't get anything out of it yet unfortunately, I don't really find it funny so far. But the art is decent.

Teutonic Knight
2010-07-11, 04:47 PM
:smalleek: lots of people do. Mainly assorted with subcultures, such as metal, gothic and punk.

Yeah its a peice of metal inside the front of the boot. I don't know what purpose it's originally supposed to serve but it does turn kicking with your toes into something painful for the target instead of for the assailant.

Right. I forgot about them.

Mina Kobold
2010-07-12, 12:47 PM

They were designed to prevent workers from crushing their toes if they drop something heavy :smallsmile:

Zexion
2010-07-12, 12:56 PM
They were designed to prevent workers from crushing their toes if they drop something heavy :smallsmile:
Sandals. He said sandals. :smallconfused::smallamused::smallannoyed:

Threeshades
2010-07-12, 01:53 PM

http://atimetodance.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/moreyouknow.jpg

Thank you, now i know! :smallsmile:

"And knowing is half the battle!"
GI JOE!

"... the other half is violence and death."

Zexion
2010-07-12, 03:51 PM
New strip's up! For anyone who doesn't know what Bullet Time is, look here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxbYTMNMxo).

Threeshades
2010-07-12, 03:55 PM
Nope, still nothing, I can't seem to find it funny. :smallfrown:

Zexion
2010-07-12, 03:57 PM
Nope, still nothing, I can't seem to find it funny. :smallfrown:
Well, just to explain it all, it's not always making fun of the trope, special effect, stereotype, etc. Sometimes it's using the trope as a framework to make another joke. When that happens, just try to look at it as a standalone joke, instead of directly making fun of the trope. Does this make sense? :smalltongue:

Darklord Xavez
2010-07-12, 05:05 PM

And the military, in some cases.
-Xavez

Bayar
2010-07-12, 05:18 PM
Well, just to explain it all, it's not always making fun of the trope, special effect, stereotype, etc. Sometimes it's using the trope as a framework to make another joke. When that happens, just try to look at it as a standalone joke, instead of directly making fun of the trope. Does this make sense? :smalltongue:

Nope. Doesn't make much sense. And if you have to explain a joke, then it's not a joke anymore. You should keep that in mind for the future.

Zexion
2010-07-12, 05:59 PM
Nope. Doesn't make much sense. And if you have to explain a joke, then it's not a joke anymore. You should keep that in mind for the future.
I know, I was just explaining the way the jokes work. All of the jokes after #5 will be easy to understand without knowing what the trope is supposed to mean. #4 is also going to be pretty simple to understand. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2010-07-12, 07:00 PM
I wanted to give this comic a chance, I really did; the concept intrigues me, but I'd like it a lot more if it was more than dancing around the fact tropes exist. Say you make a comic about colours, where the characters explore the fact that colours exist. In one strip, they examine why red looks warm, in the next they mention that most greenrooms aren't painted green, and in a third they "invent" a new colour, some mix of red and blue, somehow more regal and mellow than red, yet warmer and more inviting than blue; they go on to name it Simon. Do you see where I'm going with this? Colours are fun, they're great, and a comic about them could be excellent. However, the comic I described above would not be.

The main problem I would say, with this comic is pacing. The set up is cool, then it just... goes nowhere. Bam, end of strip. Or with the Sparta strip, it's more of a joke then two panels of setup for a different joke which we don't see. Try drawing lots of strips, quick shots, as you are. Sketch them out with stick men on napkins if you feel like it. Show them to family members, friends, anyone and see which ones they laugh at. Then take the ones they didn't laugh at and try several variations on the pacing, moving dialogue, adding new dialogue, adding a panel and so on. Some will immediately become funnier. You'll get a feel for timing and pacing, and you'll manage to make every joke you make get a laugh. Even if they don't get the joke, sometimes readers will want to find it funny because it was developed and presented so well.

Zexion
2010-07-12, 08:14 PM
:smalleek:

Thanks for the tips, Dogmantra, I'll try to fit them all into the comic. :smalltongue:

Zexion
2010-07-15, 01:10 PM
New comic's up!

Mina Kobold
2010-07-15, 03:38 PM
Sandals. He said sandals. :smallconfused::smallamused::smallannoyed:

I was explaining the original purpose for steel-caps in modern culture, it had nothing directly to do with sandals, Sparta, tap-dancing or your comics featuring any of the former :smallsmile:

http://atimetodance.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/moreyouknow.jpg

Thank you, now i know! :smallsmile:

"And knowing is half the battle!"
GI JOE!

"... the other half is violence and death."

Knowledge is put to better use figuring out how to get the shiny and/or tasty stuff for yourself while everybody else is busy participating in a battle :smalltongue:

Teutonic Knight
2010-07-15, 08:32 PM
I didn't get the newest one. Maybe you really do need to explain some of these. And aren't you supposed to be gone from the 10th to the 26th according to your sig?

Zexion
2010-07-15, 08:35 PM
I didn't get the newest one. Maybe you really do need to explain some of these. And aren't you supposed to be gone from the 10th to the 26th according to your sig?
Really? I thought the trope name was pretty self-explanatory...

Mostly gone. I still update my comic and engage in the occasional FFRPG.

bvdk99
2010-07-17, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I agree with Teutonic Knight. I go on TvTropes a lot, but I don't understand the new strip AT ALL.

Dogmantra
2010-07-17, 04:09 PM
I think the joke was that he was trying to save as much time by reusing old strips rather than drawing new ones, that being what the trope is about.

TFT
2010-07-17, 04:17 PM
The joke was, IMO, that he was using panels from other comics, to the point where they were unusable in this new comic, leading to the tomato being frustrated. I thought it was at least an O.K. comic, personally.

Zexion
2010-07-17, 06:46 PM
I think the joke was that he was trying to save as much time by reusing old strips rather than drawing new ones, that being what the trope is about.
Kind of. I'm kind of giving up on this comic anyways. In a few days I'll post all of my reserve strips and start a better one. Sorry for wasting everyone's time... :smallfrown:

Lord Loss
2010-07-21, 08:25 AM
Kind of. I'm kind of giving up on this comic anyways. In a few days I'll post all of my reserve strips and start a better one. Sorry for wasting everyone's time... :smallfrown:

Some comics work, others don't. You need to mess around a bit to find something good. this idea just didn't work. I will be reading your new comic when it comes out. Krüsher and myself are collaborating to make a comic of our own, which comes out soon.

Zexion
2010-07-21, 11:58 AM
Some comics work, others don't. You need to mess around a bit to find something good. this idea just didn't work. I will be reading your new comic when it comes out. Krüsher and myself are collaborating to make a comic of our own, which comes out soon.
Yeah... well, I'll look at your comic when it comes out. (PM me)

Zexion
2010-07-21, 04:43 PM
I just "dumped" all of my reserve strips into the first post. You can comment on them if you want.

Salty
2010-07-23, 11:16 PM
The 6th one made me chuckle.

Zexion
2010-07-23, 11:18 PM
The 6th one made me chuckle.
Yay! Small ego boost!
Just enough to inspire me to work more on my next comic. Thanks. :smalltongue:

Gimliggamer
2010-07-24, 12:09 AM
So all of the comics so far contain tropes. I'm awfully behind on my trope reading. But the latest comic is hilarious.:smallbiggrin:

Zexion
2010-07-24, 12:23 AM
So all of the comics so far contain tropes. I'm awfully behind on my trope reading. But the latest comic is hilarious.:smallbiggrin:
Ahh.. I apologize, but I'm not going to update this comic anymore, but I'm submitting a new comic idea with very high quality artwork and lots of plot tomorrow when I get access to my home computer! :smalltongue:

Gimliggamer
2010-07-24, 12:24 AM
Ahh.. I apologize, but I'm not going to update this comic anymore, but I'm submitting a new comic idea with very high quality artwork and lots of plot tomorrow when I get access to my home computer! :smalltongue:
Hmm. Than I may or may not be checking it in 12 hours and 36 minutes. :smallwink:

Zexion
2010-07-24, 10:38 AM
Hmm. Than I may or may not be checking it in 12 hours and 36 minutes. :smallwink:
More like a few days, actually. It takes time for these things to get approved. :smallwink: