PDA

View Full Version : E6: Are Truenamers Viable?

UserClone
2010-07-05, 11:03 PM
Pretty much what the title suggests, I am curious as to whether the Truenamer might actually be a fairly competitive class given the level cap of 6 on everyone, and the CR cap of 12 for enemies, as suggested in the E6 rule set.

PId6
2010-07-05, 11:11 PM
While the DCs of the Truespeak checks are a problem, the Law of Sequence and the Law of Resistance are also problems. Keeping it low level may make the Truespeak DCs doable, but you'll still have to contend with weak effects and annoying Laws that you'll have to deal with. It's probably playable, but you're definitely not going to be wowed by its power.

See this excellent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114269) if you want to learn more about Truenamers than you ever wanted to know.

Draz74
2010-07-06, 12:04 AM
Yeah ... the DCs won't be a problem (depending on optimization level), which means the Law of Resistance won't be a problem either.

A bigger problem will be the Law of Sequence.

An even bigger problem will be the way the Utterances just aren't very powerful effects.

And another consideration is that you'll only be able to use 7 different special effects, ever. I'm not sure that's a problem fundamentally ... if the effects were more powerful, I could imagine a character with "only" 7 special abilities being plenty complex and fun to play. But compared to a Sorcerer or Psion of the same level, it will feel a little minimal (especially when those other classes can add more special abilities using Extra Spell or Expanded Knowledge feats).

Malificus
2010-07-06, 12:09 AM
(especially when those other classes can add more special abilities using Extra Spell or Expanded Knowledge feats).

Couldn't you just talk to the GM about getting a Truenamer equivalent of those? :/

It's not like they covered every class ever for capstone feats.

Lans
2010-07-06, 10:23 AM
If the cap is CR 12 then the trunamer needs to be able to hit DC39.
Is the amulet of the silver toungue buildable under E6 rules?
If so its 9 ranks+10Amulet+10 Assembly+3 skill focus for 31, with room for some other stuff. Like stats.

Morph Bark
2010-07-06, 10:34 AM
Couldn't you just talk to the GM about getting a Truenamer equivalent of those? :/

It's not like they covered every class ever for capstone feats.

This would be a good idea.

Also, E6 has feats for increasing skill rank limit, and the XPH has a feat that gives 5 free skill points.

Gametime
2010-07-06, 10:49 AM
Personally, I'd lower the calculation from 15+(2xHD) to just 15+HD. It prevents Truenamers needing high optimization just to function. At that point, you can worry about making their utterances more useful.

Kyeudo
2010-07-06, 10:52 AM
Well, you can check out my Truenamer Fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120488). It solves some of the traditionally reported problems with Truenamers while still being mostly backwards compatible.

Prodan
2010-07-06, 11:00 AM
Isn't there a truenamer FAQ or handbook on Gleemax?

PId6
2010-07-06, 12:48 PM
Isn't there a truenamer FAQ or handbook on Gleemax?
You mean the Riddler one, or an actual one?

Human Paragon 3
2010-07-06, 01:20 PM
OK, I'll bite.

...Riddler?

mabriss lethe
2010-07-06, 02:29 PM
actually, there is a feat that truenamers can take to get extra utterances. Two of them to be precise, with a third possible after going into the "epic" part of E6.

-Minor Utterance of the Evolving Mind grants a 1st level utterance and can be taken at 3rd
-Utterance of the Evolving Mind grants a 2nd level and can be taken at 6th.
-Utterance of the Crafted tool can be taken at 9th in regular play, which does open it up eventually to E6