PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic Good Weremonk

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 12:51 AM
Through a series of loopholes and fun things, I basically have a chaotic good dire werewolf with the vow of poverty who will become a monk via a slightly tinkered with version of the phaethon racial ability to be a chaotic monk. My question is simple:

What classes work best for a chaotic good dire werewolf soon-to-be monk with a ridiculous strength score?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-06, 12:59 AM
Dungeoncrasher substitution level Fighter all you to use your high strength score multiple times for damage, assuming you can get Knockback from Races of Stone somehow. Power Attack for sweet, sweet justice! Even without it, you can still do some damage on a Bullrush.

Barbarian is always nice for moar damage. In that vein, so is Bear Warrior.

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 01:03 AM
Dungeoncrasher substitution level Fighter all you to use your high strength score multiple times for damage, assuming you can get Knockback from Races of Stone somehow. Power Attack for sweet, sweet justice! Even without it, you can still do some damage on a Bullrush.

Barbarian is always nice for moar damage. In that vein, so is Bear Warrior.

Interesting. Where can I find the dungeoncrasher stuff? Oh, and don't worry about barbaric rage, I have it more than covered.

Skorj
2010-07-06, 01:11 AM
IIRC, the point of Bear Totem is that it lets you full-attack after a charge. Some sort of cheese that lets you both move and take your full attack cycle is a must.

Half-orc Bard
2010-07-06, 01:13 AM
be a paladin of freedom (chaotic good paladin) it will make good use of your wis and str and the good base attack bonus will be nice because of the penalty of flurry blows.

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 01:26 AM
For everyone: I am currently plan to make my character a Chaotic Good vow of poverty Dire Werewolf + Warshaper + Chaotic Monk. With the monk class, we removed all the mental abilities a normal monk would gain with their lawfulness because with a chaotic good character, it just doesn't work, and substituted it with the rage progression/rage feats of a barbarian starting at lvl 3.

With the suggestions made so far, it should be Dire Werewolf + Warshaper + Bear Warrior/Fighter variant + Chaotic Monk. I need info and suggestions, please feed.

PId6
2010-07-06, 01:53 AM
Eh, don't ever take more than 2 levels of the monk class. It's pretty bad. There are lots of threads on these forums that can tell you why if you search for them. Also, Vow of Poverty is usually a heavy nerf for noncasters, but may be acceptable in certain instances if you have support casters on your side.

There's no real point in taking Bear Warrior if you're already a Dire Werewolf. Try something like this:

Barbarian 2/Fighter 6/Warshaper 5/Something +X

For Barbarian, take the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ), and Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) variants, and take Extra Rage (Complete Warrior) as a feat later. For Fighter, take the Dungeoncrasher (Dungeonscape) variants at levels 2 and 6. Take Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Knockback (Races of Stone), Knockdown (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), Improved Bull Rush, and Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior). Then laugh as the fireworks fly.

If you have Tome of Battle, the Something should be Warblade or Crusader. Otherwise, you can jump into Frenzied Berserker or take more levels of Barbarian or something.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-06, 01:54 AM
Dungeoncrasher is, appropriately, found within Dungeonscape, AKA "It's Not Outside."

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 07:19 PM
Eh, don't ever take more than 2 levels of the monk class. It's pretty bad. There are lots of threads on these forums that can tell you why if you search for them. Also, Vow of Poverty is usually a heavy nerf for noncasters, but may be acceptable in certain instances if you have support casters on your side.

There's no real point in taking Bear Warrior if you're already a Dire Werewolf. Try something like this:

Barbarian 2/Fighter 6/Warshaper 5/Something +X

For Barbarian, take the Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ), and Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) variants, and take Extra Rage (Complete Warrior) as a feat later. For Fighter, take the Dungeoncrasher (Dungeonscape) variants at levels 2 and 6. Take Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Knockback (Races of Stone), Knockdown (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), Improved Bull Rush, and Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior). Then laugh as the fireworks fly.

If you have Tome of Battle, the Something should be Warblade or Crusader. Otherwise, you can jump into Frenzied Berserker or take more levels of Barbarian or something.

Aw... but shouldn't monks be awesomeness in a can, well shaken, with a hint of crazy werewolf to spice things up?

The Glyphstone
2010-07-06, 07:36 PM
They should be. They're not. Let's leave it at that.

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 07:37 PM

But... awesomeness!

Rixx
2010-07-06, 07:40 PM
Through a series of loopholes and fun things, I basically have a chaotic good dire werewolf with the vow of poverty who will become a monk via a slightly tinkered with version of the phaethon racial ability to be a chaotic monk.

..Hrrngh.. *nose bleeds, becomes woozy*

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 08:00 PM
..Hrrngh.. *nose bleeds, becomes woozy*

*hands tissue*

SirRexhead
2010-07-06, 08:01 PM
Try the following to basically create a grappling, rending, winter werewolf pugilist.

Chaotic Monk 2/Warshaper 5/ Frostrager 5/+ Ftr# to make things work

Assuming you're a natural lycanthrope with a starting ECL of 9 and a base race of human, that's 4 feats at 1st level. Take Troll-blooded, Toughness, Knifefighter, and Endurance. Troll-blooded forces you to be more of a night-walker and regeneration is always handy. Now the cherry, Knifefighter. This lil' feat allows a character to his/her full amount of allotted attacks in a grapple, so long as it is a light weapon or unarmed strike.

With actual class progression, take Power Attack, Frozen Berserker, Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes, Scorpion's Grasp, Robilar's Gambit, Multiattack, and Pummel Foe if you can afford it (each additional hit with a bludgeoning weapon does an extra 1d6)

Now you have the equivalent of the improved grab ability, can deal loads of damage in a grapple, and can even initiate a grapple anytime an enemy attacks you. On top o' that, when you rage, your fists are even deadlier. Finally, take decisive strike instead of flurry of blows, as the frostrager class grants a similar ability. Now you can do two unarmed strikes at double damage (combined with your frostrager and warshaper abilities, your fists hit like colossal dragon bites)

The Glyphstone
2010-07-06, 08:02 PM
His nose is bleeding, does he really need more issues?:smallcool:
Ninja-edits, away!

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 08:03 PM
His nose is bleeding, does he really need more issues?:smallcool:
Ninja-edits, away!

Now now, I fixed it before you corrected my mistake.

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 08:05 PM
Try the following to basically create a grappling, rending, winter werewolf pugilist.

Don't forget touch of golden ice for more frosting upon more frosting. :D

The Anarresti
2010-07-06, 09:17 PM
I find this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153528) monk fix to be very good. However, I haven't played it. So, it might not be. It definably a lot better than RAW monk, while retaining flavor.
Oh, and check out the the pugilist alternative class feature. It seems like exactly what you had in mind.

gallagher
2010-07-06, 10:17 PM

monks are awesome.

roll up a swordsage. call him a monk. done

TechnOkami
2010-07-06, 11:37 PM
monks are awesome.

roll up a swordsage. call him a monk. done

So where's the swordsage found in?

UnChosenOne
2010-07-07, 12:30 AM
So where's the swordsage found in?

Tome of Battle.

Hague
2010-07-07, 12:54 AM
Yeah, use the Pathfinder Variant of the Monk, much better and infinitely more versatile. Slowfall still sucks, but at least you can use Abundant step more times per day.

TechnOkami
2010-07-08, 01:35 AM
Generally i want to keep the build I have already with the classes as listed above. Where the other classes could happen are between warshaper and monk or after monk. This is where i'd like ideas brought and I do not wish to change my concept of him, its less about effectiveness and more about enjoying the character for me.

So basically:

Dire Werewolf + Warshaper + X/none + Chaotic Monk + X/none