PDA

View Full Version : Havoc Mage - Worth it?

onthetown
2010-07-06, 07:48 AM
I'm playing a level 12 Ranger/Wizard gestalt in our current campaign and it's getting kind of boring. I was trying to think of ways to spice her up and I found havoc mage in the Miniatures Handbook, which lets you cast spells through your weapon (or something like that).

The problem is, is it really that different from the other spellsword-type classes? It'd be a bit of a loss to her BAB, and the monsters are getting tougher to hit as it is as we're starting the second half of the campaign. I wondered if it was just for use with miniatures or something, seeing as it's in the MH, but Warmage is in there, too... The spell progression seems a bit odd with two levels without it and the other three with it, and there's only one unique feat that progresses through it. It sounds like an enticing prestige class, but still looks kind of boring. It would be mostly for the flavour, I guess. She already knows Quicken Spell and uses her weapon and spells in the same turn with that, but Battlecast lets you do it at the same time...

It'd definitely spice up the gestalt and bring more power to the table (we're loosely powergaming, mostly roleplaying-focused and we don't mind choosing feats and prestige classes that will make us even more powerful), but will it be worth it?

It's a solo campaign, so all the characters are either mine or the DM's. You wouldn't think I would be getting bored with 5 other characters, but it's just getting bored with this character specifically, and I can't knock her off and replace her because she and her brother are sort of central figureheads of the campaign. The party I usually bring along on adventures is already magic-heavy, but that's the way we like it:

Half-drow Ranger/Wizard gestalt (the character in question)
Half-drow Ranger/Sorcerer gestalt
Half-elf Bard/Sublime Chord
Half-elf Cleric/Sorcerer mix thingy (I forget what it's called, Mage or something like that)
Human Paladin

All level 12.

We won't mind more magic stuff from havoc mage, but again... is it worth it? The bard is the blaster of the group anyway.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-06, 08:12 AM
I would see if you can get the classes to line up so you match the levels together to overcome the weaknesses. You should take a ranger level on the other side whenever you gain a spell level from havok, and a wizard level for every level you don't so you maintain full casting. You should also try to like up the levels so that if there is a level that you don't get ether bab or casting from the havok mage, then you gain both from mage. With a little timeing you should be able to gain full havok mage for a loss of two ranger levels.

Consider following up with abjurent champion or another strong gish PrC. They are fairly good, for the most part, and straight wizard levels are fairly deadweight, so only take them as a counterpoint to maintain full casting.

Thurbane
2010-07-06, 09:01 AM
Yes, both Abjurant Champion and Spellsword are better choices than Havoc Mage, but I really have a soft spot for the HM, even if they are mechanically sub-par compared to most other gish PrCs.

onthetown
2010-07-06, 09:25 AM
I like the look of abjurant champion... and the character's school is abjuration, so it kind of works out. I'm liking havoc mage more and more, too...

I would definitely use wizard for the levels without spell progression and ranger for the ones that it gives, so.. Ranger/Wizard 12, Ranger or Wizard/Havoc Mage 5, and then finish up with Ranger/Abjurant Champion 3? As far as I know, the campaign is only going to 20, and I'm a little late in just starting to think about prestige classes.

Just how well or badly would that work or not work? :smalltongue: