PDA

View Full Version : D&D Player Essentials

Kurald Galain
2010-07-06, 10:02 AM
Ah, we finally have more news on the upcoming D&D Essentials line from WOTC, which various people have been calling D&D Lite, or D&D 4.5.

The first book has the iconic classes of fighter, wizard, cleric, thief, and the iconic races of elf, dwarf, halfling and human. And eladrin, the other kind of elf.

The second book has the iconic classes of paladin, ranger, druid, and for some reason warlock; and the iconic races of half-elf, half-orc, drow, dragonborn, and tiefling. No love for the gnome, apparently, and I suppose deva, shifters, and genasi don't qualify as "iconic" much.

The third book has the iconic classes of assassin, necromancer, and for some reason hexblade; it's not publically known yet what races will be in there.

What I'm missing in this list are the iconic classes of bard, barbarian, and monk. I suppose most of the other PHB2/PHB3 really aren't all that iconic, except possibly the psion. I'm also surprised to see the lack of a warlord, and this means that the cleric is the only healer/leader in the entire bunch.

Apparently WOTC will introduce "subclasses" to each of the iconic classes, that have different features, easier encounter powers, and no daily powers.

hamishspence
2010-07-06, 10:05 AM
I've seen some references to it on EN World.

From what I've heard, old classes will still be playable in games with the new classes.

Swordgleam
2010-07-06, 10:05 AM
I'm still not quite sure what's going on with Essentials, but I've concluded that I'm not its target demographic and I can safely ignore it. I've noticed a few people feel threatened by it, which I don't really understand. It's not aimed at people like us. It's not going to steal any of us away.

hamishspence
2010-07-06, 10:06 AM
I'm curious about the necromancer, assassin and hexblade.

Oslecamo
2010-07-06, 10:09 AM
Ah, we finally have more news on the upcoming D&D Essentials line from WOTC, which various people have been calling D&D Lite, or D&D 4.5.

Hmm, it's been what, two years since 4e came out? It's not too early for a 4.5?:smallconfused:

Kurald Galain
2010-07-06, 10:20 AM
Hmm, it's been what, two years since 4e came out? It's not too early for a 4.5?:smallconfused:
Probably. But other than Psionic Power and the Rules Compendium, every future rulebook in the WOTC catalog is part of the "Essentials" line; there appears to be no Arcane Power 2, Adventurer's Vault 3, or Player's Handbook 4 planned.

...maybe they aren't selling well? PHB3 is not particularly popular in my area, and neither is PHBR:Tieflings.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-06, 10:21 AM
I'm also surprised to see the lack of a warlord, and this means that the cleric is the only healer/leader in the entire bunch.

well.. THIS is strange. From a pratical standpoint, because makes the cleric unique in his role (Like the good old times?).

And.. for the fact that warlord seemed sorta a "first choice". After all, it came with PH1...

hamishspence
2010-07-06, 10:21 AM
The EN World thread did have a few interesting things to say on the subject:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/281129-d-d-4th-edition-big-change-essentials-no-more-daily-powers.html

There's a strong theme of "new stuff won't invalidate the old stuff- so maybe it will turn out to be a good idea"

dragoonsgone
2010-07-06, 11:36 AM

It took 3 years for 3.5. Is all this stuff coming out right now?

Hzurr
2010-07-06, 11:47 AM
As far as I can tell, the "essentials" line isn't a replacement for any of the previous books, but it's supposed to be more newbie-friendly, and take into account all of the changes and lessons that WotC have learned from the release of the PHB1/2/3 etc. It's all 100% compatible with everything released for 4E thusfar, but it's there to prevent people who want to play a ranger from needing to pick up PHB1, MP1, MP2, etc.

I am interested in the Shadow Power Source book. I would rather have the new Power Sources in their own book individually rather than spread out across multiple PHBs and ______ Power books. I mean, look at the arcane power source. Just to get all the classes (not including alternate builds for the main classes, you'll need to buy the PHB1, PHB2, FRPG, and the Eberron Player's Guide.

I can see the 4.5 argument, but I disagree, since the jump from 3.0 to 3.5 was a complete rules reset. This is rather a shift in release/marketing, not a marked change in the rules.

Yora
2010-07-06, 11:47 AM
Starting with Rules Compendium in september (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Catalog.aspx?category=accessories), all listed books are shown with the Essentials cover style. There's a DM book and a monster book, and even a set of dungeon tiles uses the same layout.

Faleldir
2010-07-06, 12:20 PM
I never really liked daily powers because I keep thinking "what if I need this later?", so this isn't the end of the world for me. It would be better if every class had PP and every power was augmentable.

Oslecamo
2010-07-06, 12:28 PM
I can see the 4.5 argument, but I disagree, since the jump from 3.0 to 3.5 was a complete rules reset. This is rather a shift in release/marketing, not a marked change in the rules.

Hmm, 3.5 was not a rule reset. At worst it was a trimming of rough corners. The basic rule structure stayed pretty much the same.

Wich looks just like D&D essentials is going to be. I'm glad WOTC seems to have admited not every class needs to work and grow on the exactly same mechanics.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-07, 02:27 AM
The EN World thread did have a few interesting things to say on the subject:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/281129-d-d-4th-edition-big-change-essentials-no-more-daily-powers.html

There's a strong theme of "new stuff won't invalidate the old stuff- so maybe it will turn out to be a good idea"

The thread has been locked.. people took it very seriously :smallwink:

Kurald Galain
2010-07-09, 03:52 AM
Update:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dramp/20100709