PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Guitar

ninjaneer003
2010-07-06, 12:36 PM
So i've recently become interested in playing spanish guitar. Does anyone know a good place to start (websites,books, etc.) or beginner songs to learn?

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-06, 12:41 PM
Did you try guitar lessons? As in, with an offline tutor and everything? That's how I started, and it got me quite some ways before I had to stop attending them due to college.

ninjaneer003
2010-07-06, 12:46 PM
I'm in college and i would rather try teaching myself than do lessons. I tried them a while back and they didn't work out at all I actually feel like the lessons i took hurt me more than helped since the way the instructor had me use and hold the guitar lead to me getting a Ganglion Cyst in my left wrist and made it very difficult and painful to play at all for a very long time after i stopped taking lessons

Zen Monkey
2010-07-06, 01:41 PM
I'm currently learning the guitar as well (though electric) by lessons at home through a dvd/book set that I bought. I went to a nearby Guitar Center store, and spent a good hour with a salesman who answered a lot of questions and helped me with the whole setup. I can't speak for the quality of stores in your area, but I see that there are several in your state. It might be a good place to go look for a starter instrument and lessons. I don't really spend time in the accoustic/classical section, but I did see that they had several recognized brands for under $200 and a few on sale for under $100. A learn-at-home set of lessons runs about $20 or so to get you started.

I probably sound like I work there, but I really just had a good experience as an inexperienced shopper. Look for any store that seems to be both professional and staffed by people who play. More generic stores like Best Buy won't know anything about what they're selling, and some of the little used instrument shops aren't real professional with their customers. Visit the stores closest to you and see which one feels good, then ask as many questions as you need.