PDA

View Full Version : Shield other and order of effects

jiriku
2010-07-06, 01:08 PM
1. When a defender has multiple damage-mitigation effects that trigger off a single attack, may the defender choose the order in which they apply?

Example: Joe fighter has resist fire and shield other, and is hit with fire damage. Can Joe choose to divide the damage in half (with shield other), then resist 20 of it?

2. Does damage redirected to me by shield other retain its original type?

Example: Joe fighter gets bitten by an R.O.U.S. and sends me some of his bite damage via shield other. Does the damage still count as physical damage when it gets to me, so I can reduce it with damage reduction?

Person_Man
2010-07-06, 01:24 PM
Edition? I assume 4th, because you say "defender." In which case, the sum total of my five games of 4E play are probably useless for rules lawyering. For 3.X, you apply effects in the order that they are most beneficial, and the damage taken from Shield Other is untyped and not effected by DR.

Seffbasilisk
2010-07-06, 01:46 PM
In v3.5 Fire resistance applies first, and it's not physical damage when translated by Shield Other, it's untyped and theoretically unavoidable.

jiriku
2010-07-06, 02:12 PM
3.5 game. I meant defender in the sense of "one who is the recipient of an attack".

Hmmm, it seems to me that my cleric will need to rely on a different source of damage mitigation then.

When you take damage via shield other, is the spell dealing damage to you? I can think of an item or two that specifically mitigates untyped damage dealt by spells.