PDA

View Full Version : Spray and Pray [3.5]

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-06, 02:32 PM
Is there any feat or item or ability that lets a player shoot or make a sweeping attack into multiple squares? Let's say that someone's blinded and they want to make a sweeping attack with an axe or shoot into multiple squares with a bow...how would I handle that?

arguskos
2010-07-06, 02:36 PM
I know that the War Hulk can do this with Sweeping Strike. I'm unfamiliar with any other way to do it by RAW, but I'm sure it can be done.

Also, someone needs to link this man to Flaming Homer, stat!

Private-Prinny
2010-07-06, 02:37 PM
Doesn't blindness just give you a 50% miss chance? :smallconfused:

Roll a d%.

Ormagoden
2010-07-06, 02:38 PM
You mean Spray and Pray don't ya?

arguskos
2010-07-06, 02:40 PM
You mean Spray and Pray don't ya?
I liked Prey more. I think it's witty (if probably unintentional on the OPs part, it's a common misspelling). :smallamused:

Aroka
2010-07-06, 02:42 PM
Make a full attack and target blindly chosen squares.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-06, 02:49 PM
Make a full attack and target blindly chosen squares.

Best choice, thank you very much

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-06, 02:50 PM
I liked Prey more. I think it's witty (if probably unintentional on the OPs part, it's a common misspelling). :smallamused:

I prefer Spay and Prey, but that's just me.

And no, not in D&D. There are such rules in d20 Modern, but they are for firearms which shoot 30+ bullets in about two seconds. It's kind of hard to accomplish that if you can only shoot five arrows at a time.

woodenbandman
2010-07-06, 02:58 PM
Actually, there is a ranged feat called something like "pierce through" that lets you shoot in a line, with increasing penalties to all that are in that line. Also, there's the spell Whirling Blade which makes an attack roll in a line and effects everyone in that line.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-06, 03:01 PM
Actually, there is a ranged feat called something like "pierce through" that lets you shoot in a line, with increasing penalties to all that are in that line. Also, there's the spell Whirling Blade which makes an attack roll in a line and effects everyone in that line.

Presumably, the first does not do what "spray'n'pray" does in real life and hits people standing on a straight line pointing away from you, and the second does not allow you to do it with the weapons you already have.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-06, 03:02 PM
I had a thri-kreen psychic warrior, at one point. He was blinded in a battle just before the BBEG sicced his advanced pet rust monster on me (unfortunately I was alone and blinded, and had just lost a rather expensive breastplate to the damned thing). I knew Rusty was either in the space right in front of me or the one to the right of that, but not which one, so I took a 5' step forward-left, Quickdraw'd my two bows (both with seeking enhancements on them), and dual-wield Rapid-Shotted into both spaces. I heard the thing thump on the ground, dead, and then attempted to stalk the BBEG through the warehouse, basically naked and blind (stupid rust monsters and their stupid armor-dissolving antennae).

It was fun.

Keld Denar
2010-07-06, 03:02 PM
Also, the Exit Wounds enhancement for bows. Its a +2 equiv in the MIC that allows you to attack all foes in a line with a cumulative -4 to hit for each foe after the 1st.

EDIT:

(stupid rust monsters and their stupid armor-dissolving antennae).

But they are SOOOOO CUTE (http://rustyandco.com/)!!!

Optimystik
2010-07-06, 04:42 PM
I had a thri-kreen psychic warrior, at one point. He was blinded in a battle just before the BBEG sicced his advanced pet rust monster on me (unfortunately I was alone and blinded, and had just lost a rather expensive breastplate to the damned thing). I knew Rusty was either in the space right in front of me or the one to the right of that, but not which one, so I took a 5' step forward-left, Quickdraw'd my two bows (both with seeking enhancements on them), and dual-wield Rapid-Shotted into both spaces. I heard the thing thump on the ground, dead, and then attempted to stalk the BBEG through the warehouse, basically naked and blind (stupid rust monsters and their stupid armor-dissolving antennae).

It was fun.

You didn't have a psicrystal? Or touchsight?

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-06, 05:03 PM
EDIT:

But they are SOOOOO CUTE (http://rustyandco.com/)!!!Yes. Yes, they are.

I love Rusty. Just don't hug him if you're wearing metal (the bard and her underwire found this out the hard way).

You didn't have a psicrystal? Or touchsight?I had a psicrystal, but it was out scouting with the party rogue. And I didn't have touchsight. However, I did have psionic scent. It was fun stalking the BBEG through the warehouse by scent, and coward as he was, he was rather terrified that I was doing so fairly effectively.

Keep in mind, I was a thri-kreen. He was an elf.

Thri-kreen eat elves. Messily.

pilvento
2010-07-06, 05:07 PM
Spray and Pray? you got that from Leaunge Of Legends, dont ya?

Merk
2010-07-06, 05:24 PM
The warblade's Steel Wind maneuver lets you strike two adjacent enemies with a melee attack.

Optimystik
2010-07-06, 05:28 PM
I had a psicrystal, but it was out scouting with the party rogue. And I didn't have touchsight. However, I did have psionic scent. It was fun stalking the BBEG through the warehouse by scent, and coward as he was, he was rather terrified that I was doing so fairly effectively.

Keep in mind, I was a thri-kreen. He was an elf.

Thri-kreen eat elves. Messily.

That is awesome, though I think Eldariel wouldn't like your story. :smallwink:

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-06, 05:33 PM
There's always the war mind's sweeping strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warmind.htm). It makes a decent PrC for non-psionic characters or soulknives.

That is awesome, though I think Eldariel wouldn't like your story. :smallwink:The BBEG was a behind-the-scenes type. A bard, with just enough shadow-dancer and assassin levels to be extremely annoying. He liked siccing mobs of peasants on us, especially on the 'big bug monster'.

It's hard to hide in the shadows from someone who can track you by scent, and when you smell like the thri-kreen equivalent of Andes Thin-mints.

Darrin
2010-07-06, 10:09 PM
There's an item in the Arms & Equipment Guide called a Sprayer. It can turn any liquid or splash-based attack into a 5' x 10' line area of effect... which isn't all that much of a line, but anything in those two squares gets hit without an attack roll or save.

You're somewhat limited that the various alchemical substances this device can deliver don't do all that much damage, but hey, that's what horde of servants is for.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-06, 10:12 PM
Really, Burning Hands (and other cone-shaped spells) are the D&D-world's answer to this situation, one would think.

Siosilvar
2010-07-06, 10:28 PM
Presumably, the first does not do what "spray'n'pray" does in real life and hits people standing on a straight line pointing away from you, and the second does not allow you to do it with the weapons you already have.

Err, the second specifically uses a weapon you're holding. 60ft line, attack everything in it as if you were making a melee attack using Int, Cha, or Str to hit.

Spray and Pray? you got that from Leaunge Of Legends, dont ya?

Spray and Pray is a common military term used to describe automatic weapons fire (hence spray), which is unlikely to actually hit anything (hence pray [that it hits something]).