PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Werewolf Druid, need profesional adivice.

pilvento
2010-07-06, 03:43 PM
hi folks, its been a long time.

I was in dnd vacations (we played a lot of vampiere the masquerade), and for a new campaing setting i was thinking of playing a Werewolf druid, not specialiced in just spellcasting, i want to be able to recive lots of damage and have a BIG str mod.

-Find a way deliver mele touch spells as a unarmed or natural attack.
-I allready got resolved the tempate part it will only take 3 lvls.
-I also want to have at least 4 lvls of warshaper.
-For the druids lvls i thinked to change wildsape for rage (UA).
-No equip, (Vow of poverty) :smallcool:

so after all this bizzare proposal, what do u think, got any sugestions, spells, prestige classes, features?

Please, avoid ToB and telling me not to play werewolf or refuse the basics of the character i have allready made.

Thank you all.

Jorda75
2010-07-06, 04:07 PM
1. The problem with combining touch spells (those that don't allow you to just hold them in your hand, those can be delivered with natural weapons as I understand it) is that you're sort of double dipping. You're doing spell and natural attack damage and you're focusing on your spell and also on using your claws to achieve damage, mechanically and logically it has some flaws and I doubt I would allow it in my games.

2. Warshaper is awesome, especially for your goals, go for it.

3. Wildshape for rage works for this build, I would suggest taking the Extra Rage feat to allow you to rage more often early on in your adventuring career.

4. You should really check with your DM because VOP is a very polarizing feat. In this case I think it might be a little unbalanced, but since you're not using it to get around Wildshapes limitations than it may not be that bad.

5. Wolf animal companion obviously :smallbiggrin:

FelixG
2010-07-06, 04:08 PM
I would recommend picking up 2 feats of improved natural attack, squeeze a little more power out of your claws and bite :P

Vizzerdrix
2010-07-06, 04:15 PM
Are you factoring in the HD from lycanthropy?

woodenbandman
2010-07-06, 04:41 PM
Touch spells can already be delivered via natural weapon, so you're good.

as for warshaper, yeah, you qualify, and yeah, it's a cool class, but if you do take it, take it late, because the spells you get really really really do help your combat prowess, like, a lot. You get tons of buffs like barkskin and bite of the were-rat/tiger/boar/etc.

pilvento
2010-07-06, 04:54 PM
1. The problem with combining touch spells (those that don't allow you to just hold them in your hand, those can be delivered with natural weapons as I understand it) is that you're sort of double dipping. You're doing spell and natural attack damage and you're focusing on your spell and also on using your claws to achieve damage, mechanically and logically it has some flaws and I doubt I would allow it in my games.

4. You should really check with your DM because VOP is a very polarizing feat. In this case I think it might be a little unbalanced, but since you're not using it to get around Wildshapes limitations than it may not be that bad.

5. Wolf animal companion obviously :smallbiggrin:

1. yes, the challenge here is to double dipp, the thing here is that so far i know to deliver touch spells as a mele attack is a class feature like the enlightned fist prestige class.

4. Dont worry my DM expets us to power optimize a lot

5. obviously :smallbiggrin:

pilvento
2010-07-06, 04:55 PM
Are you factoring in the HD from lycanthropy?

forget about the template, i dont want to make this post a discusion about it.
its allready resolved, it will only take 3 lvls.

pilvento
2010-07-06, 04:57 PM
Touch spells can already be delivered via natural weapon, so you're good.

as for warshaper, yeah, you qualify, and yeah, it's a cool class, but if you do take it, take it late, because the spells you get really really really do help your combat prowess, like, a lot. You get tons of buffs like barkskin and bite of the were-rat/tiger/boar/etc.

The only thing that my DM hates it to hear that my characters is a Were-rat-tiger-boar-bear-wolf-man.

The Cat Goddess
2010-07-06, 05:13 PM
Don't forget Greater Magic Fang & Metal Fang!

pilvento
2010-07-07, 01:27 PM
so..., no more sugestions or advices?

I still dont know if i can deliver a spell with a natural attack?

claw dmg + str + spell ????

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 01:37 PM
4. Dont worry my DM expets us to power optimize a lot

If this is true, go with less werewolf and more druid. Also, ditch VoP.

That said, you CAN still do what you want. Produce Flame is a good one. One casting gets you several touches, and you can make claw attacks and add the fire damage to them. Poison is another good druid touch spell for smacking someone up-side the head. Mmmmmmmm Con damage.

You can substitute the touch to deliver a spell with an UAS or natural weapon, but IIRC, you can only do such when you are holding the charge. The SRD has more info on this, under the Holding the Charge section of the Magic chapter. That means you have to cast the spell 1 round, then claw on the 2nd. Normally, you get to deliver a touch as part of the casting of the spell, but only if you are touching. The main difference between delivering a spell with a touch vs delivering it with a claw is that you have to hit their full AC, vs just their touch AC, so there is a little extra risk to deliver. If you do miss though, you still hold the charge and can try again next round.