PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Inquisitor Suggestions

Drekk
2010-07-06, 07:08 PM
I'm looking over the Inquisitor Class from the free Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide and I think I want to give it a go...The abilities fit the concept I wanted to go for and are quite potent-appearing, at least on paper. I have god-like stats to use (18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14) and 5 levels to play with. Playing in Ravenloft as agents of a wealthy noble house trying to come up in the politics of the region.

Party consists of a Barbarian/Fighter, a Druid, a Ranger, a Wizard, a Ninja, and a Drunken Master Monk. (interesting choices of agents for an aspiring nobility :smallbiggrin: ) My main concerns are whether to go with Archery or Melee...Melee seems doable, but I'm worried I'll suck as levels progress; kind of like a Bard, who the class strongly resembles. Archery seems to be the way to go, though feat-intensive and it doesn't seem to make very good use of the free teamwork feats...

So ideas on builds? Knowledge Devotion seems a gimme. Oh, and my deity will be Pharasia (sort of a fusion of Wee Jas and Kelemvor as far as I can tell) and my chosen domain is Knowledge. That touch ability will pair nicely with Knowledge Devotion and it fits my concept so not getting rid of that.

Ah, and any 3.5 source materials printed by WoTC can be used so long as they're Pathfinder-compatible. Including Dragon Magazine stuff.

Drekk
2010-07-07, 11:30 AM
Anything at all? Did I give all the relevant info?

So looking over my build idea; I'm thinking I'd like to use a Great Crossbow. Pathfinder's Rise of the Crimson Throne has a great feat that lets you load any crossbow as a free action; so with a single flaw, I can start using a Great Crossbow at 5th as a human! :smallbiggrin: I'm sure there's an anime equvalent of a steampunk inquisitor wielding a gigantic crossbow, but nothing comes to mind..

(1) Precise Shot
(1H) Point-Blank Shot
(1Flaw) Rapid Shot
(3) Crossbow Mastery
(3Inquisitor) Shielded Caster
(5) Exotic Weapon Prof: Great Crossbow
---------------
(6Inquisitor) Outflank/Precise Strike
(7) Knowledge Devotion
(9) Zen Archery

Since I'm pumping my Wis and not my Dex, the feat that gives 1/2 dex to dmg is pretty useless. But with 2d8 base damage, Divine Spellcasting (Divine Favor, Heroism, and GMW are all Inquisitor spells :smallcool:), Knowledge Devotion, and the Inquisitor's Judgments, I don't think I'll be lacking for damage. Thoughts?

subject42
2010-07-07, 11:42 AM
I have a player in a game that I'm running that's playing a wearbear inquisitor. He's using thrown weapons to pretty good effect.

Try the harpoons from Sandstorm. They're pretty brutal.

Drekk
2010-07-07, 02:35 PM
Couldn't find the harpoons there...Under a different name?

subject42
2010-07-07, 02:41 PM
Sorry, Stormwrack. The other place book.

OutCold
2011-01-18, 09:08 PM
From my own experience with my current Inquisitor, I have found that the melee build is more effective then the range build.

I'm playing a Half-Orc Inquisitor using a Great-Axe with the Evil devotion (yes I know not the best choice). This is an evil campaign. I'm playing with a cavalier, summoner, rogue, and werewolf sorcerer (<== we'll just ignore that last one).

I did a range build at first but I was lacking in damage and I did not feel like I was aiding in the fights at all. Where as with the melee build I was able to do some substantial damage and contribute to the fights. I was also able to make use of the Piercing attack Team Feat.

I took the judgments Destruction and Healing so far. Destruction really helps out with the lack of Base Attack and the Healing is nice since I cannot actually take any healing spells.

Not sure if this sways you one way or the other.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-18, 09:31 PM
dude, if he hasnt started playing that inquisitor (5 months ago!) He has more problems to deal with that whether to be in melee or ranged as an inquisitor.

grarrrg
2011-01-18, 09:35 PM
*threadcomancy*

*uses turn unthread*

Quirken
2011-01-25, 04:38 AM
my DM is allowing most 3.5 content... so I'm building a TWF catfolk inquisitor, and supplementing it with Pathfinderized Ordained Champion (From Complete Champion... PM me if you want a copy of my converted version of the PrC PDF).

Net result:

40ft movement speed (via catfolk race... tweaked the racial stat boost to be just +2 to any to get rid of +1 LA)
pounce attack (via catfolk pounce; full attack with a charge, as long as target is flat-footed)
can channel spells through my weapon (Use a move action to channel the spell, and if I don't hit, it lasts for 8 hours)
gain Smite, without a descripter, i.e. works on any alignment
can sacrifice spell slots to gain temporary DR
sacrifice spell slot for extra damage

Pretty good for a 5 level PrC that continues spellcasting progression :)