PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Warlock | swordmage Dragonborn

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 07:21 PM
I made this characters for an campaing in my FLGS and I would like to hear the playground opinions on
Denthanus, emisary of baator
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Denthanus, level 1
Dragonborn, Warlock|Swordmage
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Chosen of the Spirit Drake (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +7, Intimidate +8, Arcana +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History +5, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +1, Thievery, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: White Lotus Evasion

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Hybrid encounter 1: Diabolic Grasp
Hybrid daily 1: Flames of Phlegethos

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bottle of Wine, Crowbar, Leather Armor, Glaive, Dagger (4), Orb Implement
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
I think I can keep up a reasonable damage output as a striker and I am beefy enough to serve as secondary defender, I might need to increase my AC but due hybridicing for now I can only use leather armor.

I was inspired by the Arcane slasher in the WotC forums and the [3.5] hood build by endaire, if we reach paragon tier, I remember a PP for dragonborns that gave wings and I am trying to get that PP.

So what do you think?

Meta
2010-07-06, 07:41 PM
I made this characters for an campaing in my FLGS and I would like to hear the playground opinions on
Denthanus, emisary of baator
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Denthanus, level 1
Dragonborn, Warlock|Swordmage
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Chosen of the Spirit Drake (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +7, Intimidate +8, Arcana +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Endurance +3, Heal, History +5, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise +1, Thievery, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: White Lotus Evasion

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Hybrid encounter 1: Diabolic Grasp
Hybrid daily 1: Flames of Phlegethos

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bottle of Wine, Crowbar, Leather Armor, Glaive, Dagger (4), Orb Implement
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
I think I can keep up a reasonable damage output as a striker and I am beefy enough to serve as secondary defender, I might need to increase my AC but due hybridicing for now I can only use leather armor.

I was inspired by the Arcane slasher in the WotC forums and the [3.5] hood build by endaire, if we reach paragon tier, I remember a PP for dragonborns that gave wings and I am trying to get that PP.

So what do you think?

From a theoretical optimization point, it would have been good yesterday. Errata just came out nulling the biggest things you have to look forward to, namely slashing, WLMR, and two-fold pact. Assault swordmages are back to being the worst defenders hands down again. I say dumb STR some more and become a shielding swordmage

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 07:46 PM
Ummm my character builder was last updated on may and I don't follow the errata, care to enlighten me on both the errata and slashing, WLMR, and two-fold pact please?
I don't play 4e too much (to be honest I agree to play on this campaing just to play SOMETHING)

Meta
2010-07-06, 07:54 PM
Ummm my character builder was last updated on may and I don't follow the errata, care to enlighten me on both the errata and slashing, WLMR, and two-fold pact please?
I don't play 4e too much (to be honest I agree to play on this campaing just to play SOMETHING)

Ask and you shall receive
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates

HMS Invincible
2010-07-06, 09:25 PM
The changes that are nerfs I dislike, but I don't mind when they correct unclear powers or buff weak ones.

You can tell where I stand with regards to nerfs and buffs. =P

Blazen
2010-07-06, 09:58 PM
I've gotta tell you right now. If your a new player then avoid hybrids like the plague. They seem fun, but it is extremely difficult to make a proper working build, and you won't often see it reach it's full usefulness until much later.
Now for your build. I'm sorry that there's no easy way to say it, but it's a mess. Your stats are spread too thin. You picked a rather mediocre feat. Your Eldritch Strike is keyed off the wrong ability, and your power choices aren't very good. I know the build your talking about, and like I said it only works well at later levels, and has recently gotten nerfed.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 10:03 PM
First I am not a new player, I have been playing 4e since it came out; but I don't play it as much as 3.5 so my 4e knowledge and opt-fu is not as good as my 3.5 one.

I know that hybrids are one of the only ways to gimp myself on 4e, but at a glance and with my minimal knowledge it doesn't seems bad; but if you can please be more specific on how to improve the build, please do so.

Oh and now I see that I keyed the eldritch strike of charisma... I meant to key it of Con.... need to rectify that.

Disclaimer: I don't intend to be agressive in my post, if it seems like so I apologize.

Blazen
2010-07-06, 10:25 PM
Some suggestions that I can give is to go ahead and use this array for stats.

Str: 15
Con: 16
Dex:11
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

Instead of WLE for your feat grab Bastard sword proficiency, or Hybrid Talent for Swordmage warding.

Powers:
At-wills:
Sword burst, or frostwind blade
Eldritch Strike Con
Encounter:
Crackling Burst, Chilling Blow, Chains of Levistus, or Vampiric Embrace
Dailies:
Burning Blade, Dance of Swords, Whirling Blade, Armor of Agathys, The Lash's Bite, Tyranny of Flames, or Vile Brand.

Another option would be to hybrid warlock|Sorcerer if that's what you wanna do. I can post a build for that later.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 10:28 PM
Will check the powers more thouroughly, I will also check the benefits of the bastard sword (if I am getting a weapon proficiency I am partial to the executing axe or the fullblade) or the hybryd talents.

On the sorc|lock build, thanks but no thanks, I want to keep this guy gish-y:smallsmile:

Blazen
2010-07-06, 10:35 PM
The advantage of a B Sword is the +3 weapon proficiency, and it's use with Swordmage warding which gives you a +1 AC boost, or +3 with 1-handed blades.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 10:39 PM
hmmm I think I'll keep my glaive, I just like the mind image of a big dragon-man wielding a glaive which is either on fire or with lightning circling the blade.

thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Meta
2010-07-07, 12:01 AM
Some suggestions that I can give is to go ahead and use this array for stats.

Str: 15
Con: 16
Dex:11
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

Instead of WLE for your feat grab Bastard sword proficiency, or Hybrid Talent for Swordmage warding.

Powers:
At-wills:
Sword burst, or frostwind blade
Eldritch Strike Con
Encounter:
Crackling Burst, Chilling Blow, Chains of Levistus, or Vampiric Embrace
Dailies:
Burning Blade, Dance of Swords, Whirling Blade, Armor of Agathys, The Lash's Bite, Tyranny of Flames, or Vile Brand.

Another option would be to hybrid warlock|Sorcerer if that's what you wanna do. I can post a build for that later.

Dump Str. Go shielding SM and have high con and int. Its an excellent stat array for SM/lock and you'll find yourself a better defender and a more capable character