PDA

View Full Version : 4e- Latest Errata

Asbestos
2010-07-06, 10:14 PM
I didn't see a thread for this so... bam!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateJuly2010.pdf

I don't understand the reasoning for some of these changes, particularly the rewrite of Magic Missile. I guess the "omg, Magic Missile can miss? 4e is teh suck!" crowd got their way?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 10:17 PM
I thinkthe hybrid wizard|rogue, will be happy with that change....

Reverent-One
2010-07-06, 10:22 PM
The one thing I saw that confuses me is the change in Static Shock's (from the Eberron book) range change. "Melee 5"? So it can reach 5 squares, but still counts as a melee attack for all intents and purposes?

Asbestos
2010-07-06, 10:25 PM
The one thing I saw that confuses me is the change in Static Shock's (from the Eberron book) range change. "Melee 5"? So it can reach 5 squares, but still counts as a melee attack for all intents and purposes?

Possibly because '1 Creature in Close Burst 5' is too awkward? I'm not really sure.

Asbestos
2010-07-06, 10:27 PM
I thinkthe hybrid wizard|rogue, will be happy with that change....

Why? It does pathetic damage and I thought hybrid Rogues could only SA with Rogue powers (or something, I might be wrong)

Thajocoth
2010-07-06, 10:31 PM
Magic Missile actually became really abusable. Pump it up with all the White Lotus feats, Take the level 1 daily, get ways of recharging that daily... Eventually make it an an encounter power... Add the cold damage type to it, take the cold feats... You can pump everything into it.

Now it doesn't HIT. It EFFECTS. Most of that stuff is suddenly gone.

Asbestos
2010-07-06, 10:39 PM
You can no longer, by RAW, take an ungodly amount of free actions at once. Finally.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-06, 10:51 PM
Why? It does pathetic damage and I thought hybrid Rogues could only SA with Rogue powers (or something, I might be wrong)

Because she is of the crew that was sad because MM required an attack roll, and maybe I am wrong but I think the DM houseruled a feat that let her apply SA with all her powers.

Runestar
2010-07-06, 10:52 PM
Time to stop throwing lv30 minions against that 1st lv wizard...:smalltongue:

Meta
2010-07-06, 11:59 PM
You can no longer, by RAW, take an ungodly amount of free actions at once. Finally.

Alas, by RAW you still can. By RAI certainly not, but things like Ardent Fury and Rending Weapons do not specify what sort of action they are and a savvy player can argue that they are No actions. And there is nothing currently to work against them. I applaud wotc for nerfing TWO and Follow-up Blow (t2 of the offenders that DO specify a free action) but by their own wording the nerf is very unclear and not altogether effective. Also, the errata only stop free action attack stacking and as I pointed out, inconsistently

As to the magic missile nerf, I had a thread floating around a whiles back that averaged over 150 dpr with MM abuse

Swordgleam
2010-07-07, 12:00 AM
My first instinct was that auto-killing a minion is too powerful, since every once in a while there's been minions that do a hilarious amount of damage because the party just plain can't hit them due to a string of bad rolls. Then I remembered that my party has no wizard and most of a wizard's attacks can take out half a dozen minions at once if they're standing close enough together.

Makiru
2010-07-07, 12:03 AM
At least Harmonious Thunder finally got fixed to not do infinite damage. And apparently no more Windrise Port cheese, either.

Meta
2010-07-07, 12:05 AM
My first instinct was that auto-killing a minion is too powerful, since every once in a while there's been minions that do a hilarious amount of damage because the party just plain can't hit them due to a string of bad rolls. Then I remembered that my party has no wizard and most of a wizard's attacks can take out half a dozen minions at once if they're standing close enough together.

Agreed, wotc saw the chance to nerf an extremely potent striker at-will on a controller whilst 'returning to a 3e classic.' In retrospect this is to be expected as they are cutting down on classes that masquerade as other roles. Thus why avenger AC has been a veritable roller coaster ride

Gralamin
2010-07-07, 12:26 AM
Agreed, wotc saw the chance to nerf an extremely potent striker at-will on a controller whilst 'returning to a 3e classic.' In retrospect this is to be expected as they are cutting down on classes that masquerade as other roles. Thus why avenger AC has been a veritable roller coaster ride

That, and they cannot decide what to do with Avenger.

The Biggest thing for me was the nerf to Lead the Attack. Sure it needed the nerf. A LOT. But, it was nice as a Warlord to have a power there was no question about whether you'd ever retrain it. :smallcool:

Meta
2010-07-07, 12:27 AM
That, and they cannot decide what to do with Avenger.

The Biggest thing for me was the nerf to Lead the Attack. Sure it needed the nerf. A LOT. But, it was nice as a Warlord to have a power there was no question about whether you'd ever retrain it. :smallcool:

I think it was a good choice but pales in comparison to the abomination that is Withering Henge and it remains unerfed

Gralamin
2010-07-07, 12:29 AM
I think it was a good choice but pales in comparison to the abomination that is Withering Henge and it remains unerfed

Actually, the version in the Dragon issue was a Stealth Nerf of the version in the original article :smalleek:.

Meta
2010-07-07, 12:36 AM
Actually, the version in the Dragon issue was a Stealth Nerf of the version in the original article :smalleek:.

O goodness, I can only imagine the degree of tentacle death the original portrayed

Jokes
2010-07-07, 01:46 AM

*sigh* my rampaging barbarian dies a little inside...

Magic Missile actually became less powerful, not that it was the greatest to begin with. Almost everything (Hunter's Quarry, Warlocks curse, White Lotus feats) require you to hit with an attack, so not even any Versatile Master abuse there. Technically, you can't even add bonuses to damage rolls (wands with the Deadly feature, for instance) since there is no damage roll.

It does make it a pretty decent wand, though. *edit* for classes other than wizard that is. Bards in particular could keep one or two handy for killing minions on the other side of the battlefield.

HMS Invincible
2010-07-07, 02:54 AM

What are you talking about? I looked it up in the compendium and it only brings up withering courage, a warlord power. If that's what you're talking about, it's no worse than being blinded by say, prismatic beam.

PS, what was the original power, before the stealth nerf? Did it last til the end of the encounter?

Kurald Galain
2010-07-07, 04:51 AM
Time to stop throwing lv30 minions against that 1st lv wizard...:smalltongue:

Well, wizards could one-shot minions right from the start, using Cloud of Daggers. In my experience, this is not worth a "power slot"; heck, it's not even worth carrying a Master Wand for. Whenever minions need killing (and sometimes they don't, because they aren't a real threat) a massive area effect does the trick better.

Boci
2010-07-07, 05:21 AM
Was dealing your intelligence modifier as damage to anyone adjacent to you when you teleported multiple times per round really that broken?

Kurald Galain
2010-07-07, 05:53 AM
Was dealing your intelligence modifier as damage to anyone adjacent to you when you teleported multiple times per round really that broken?

Yes, in that it was the leading damage-per-round build by a factor of two or so.

Meta
2010-07-07, 09:27 AM
What are you talking about? I looked it up in the compendium and it only brings up withering courage, a warlord power. If that's what you're talking about, it's no worse than being blinded by say, prismatic beam.

PS, what was the original power, before the stealth nerf? Did it last til the end of the encounter?

Misspelling. Writhing Henge

Meta
2010-07-07, 09:28 AM

yep. It stacked with some other abilities and teleports could be broken up into multiple moves. You could end up doing hundreds of damage by jumping around

Demonix
2010-07-07, 12:39 PM
This is what happens when a card game company gets their hands on an RPG. At the rate errata is coming out, it is pointless to buy hardback books for this edition.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-07-07, 12:57 PM
This is what happens when a card game company gets their hands on an RPG. At the rate errata is coming out, it is pointless to buy hardback books for this edition.
Yes, but it makes their DDI very attractive - which is rather the point.

For 4e, you're either buying books to get a sneak peek at the next splatbook before it goes live on DDI, or you're interested in the fluff, pictures and feel of a physical book. People just interested in having a game with solid rules get to shell out $10 for their group whenever they feel like getting an update.

By bifurcating the market, more people get legitimate access to the system and by constantly issuing errata we get a more playable system than the previous errata-by-splatbook method.

The J Pizzel
2010-07-07, 02:02 PM
Funny story:

One of my old 3.5 players just starting playing again. Excited to try the new wizard. He says he admits it playes a little different but was still lots of fun and enjoyed controlling the battlefield. He said the only he missed was the old reliable Magic Missile. Fun damage, no attack, never fails.

He'll be excited to hear this!!!

valadil
2010-07-07, 02:21 PM
For 4e, you're either buying books to get a sneak peek at the next splatbook before it goes live on DDI, or you're interested in the fluff, pictures and feel of a physical book. People just interested in having a game with solid rules get to shell out $10 for their group whenever they feel like getting an update.

I buy the books because I want something that lasts past WotC's current business model. If I get a craving for some 4e three editions down the road I want to be able to whip out some books instead of trying WotC's site and then checking if I still have my old computer around anywhere.

The wizard in my game is not gonna be happy about the MM nerf. His character was pretty much based on doing stupid damage with it (much to the chagrin of the Avenger). I have a sneaking suspicion he won't even bring up the errata, hoping I somehow missed it.

Snowstorm
2010-07-07, 02:41 PM
I, too, prefer DDI over buying all of the splatbooks that come out. The only real downside I find, is that you miss out on some of the sidebars and special rules that come along with the new powers and class features.

Like, the exact rules for a Ranger's beast companion, or some abilities of certain Paragon path powers that say: 'See Sidebar for details'.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-07-07, 02:43 PM
I buy the books because I want something that lasts past WotC's current business model. If I get a craving for some 4e three editions down the road I want to be able to whip out some books instead of trying WotC's site and then checking if I still have my old computer around anywhere.
Well, if you want that, I'd say wait until 4e is discontinued and pick up the books you want at a deep discount. Worked with 3.5, didn't it? :smalltongue:

I also suspect that WotC will be releasing "compilation" versions of the Core Books at some point with all the Errata fully integrated. It'll probably be towards the end of this "business model" but heck, that's when you'd want the books in the first place :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:
@Snowstorm - DDI has that information in their Rules Comprehendium. Of course, you need a live account to access it, but they have to provide some reason to have a persistant account :smallamused:

Boci
2010-07-07, 03:03 PM

Couldn't you download the pdfs onto a pendrive?

HMS Invincible
2010-07-07, 03:11 PM

The hard part is combining the errata you want with the original versions. If you just want the errata'ed version, or the original, then having the pdf and character builder works great. But if you want to combine the errata, then you have to either hunt through the books and compare with the character builder version to see which is better.

Misspelling. Writhing Henge

I don't see it. Book and page number please.

Snowstorm
2010-07-07, 03:13 PM
EDIT:
@Snowstorm - DDI has that information in their Rules Comprehendium. Of course, you need a live account to access it, but they have to provide some reason to have a persistant account :smallamused:

Really? Not that I've seen, for most of the issues I've come across. I'll check again and get a proper example later. :)

Asbestos
2010-07-07, 03:39 PM
but they have to provide some reason to have a persistant account :smallamused:

Well, besides Dragon/Dungeon.

Epinephrine
2010-07-07, 04:01 PM

I guess that they don't want it to ignore concealment, but not provoke opportunity attacks?

Meta
2010-07-07, 04:10 PM
I guess that they don't want it to ignore concealment, but not provoke opportunity attacks?

Someone at WotC thought Iron Armbands were underpowered and needed another melee at-will

tbarrie
2010-07-07, 04:37 PM
Well, besides Dragon/Dungeon.

I'm pretty sure that if you only buy a month's subscription every X months, you can just download all of the issues in PDF form.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-07, 04:40 PM
If the errata keeps coming at this rate, eventually you'll be able to read all powers and feats for free in the Update.PDF files :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2010-07-07, 04:43 PM
Wow those are some pretty big changes!

YAY FOR TRUE MAGIC MISSILE!

The free action nerf was to be expected as the diferent splatbooks kept adding more and more ways to get extra attacks as free actions.

So, with all the rules revisions I guess we can qualify this as 4.2e? 4.3?:smalltongue:

On the other hand, it really sucks that if you're not paying for DDI then you have to carry around a dozen of erratas around with you. D&D 4e may not be an MMO...But it surely is copying their money producing tactic of making you pay every month to get everything you were suposed to get with the initial package.:smallmad:

EDIT:On the other hand, Kurald Gain may be right that at this rate the erratas will evenutally cover all the material and we won't need to pay for books at all!:smallbiggrin:

Oracle_Hunter
2010-07-07, 05:19 PM
On the other hand, it really sucks that if you're not paying for DDI then you have to carry around a dozen of erratas around with you. D&D 4e may not be an MMO...But it surely is copying their money producing tactic of making you pay every month to get everything you were suposed to get with the initial package.:smallmad:
This is balanced by the fact that the Character Builder persists after your month is up and can be fully updated at any future time by paying an additional $10. Since each $10 actually covers the update to several Character Builders, it's not hard to see your gaming group ponying up a couple of bucks twice a year to keep current.

Or about $25 per person for a year's worth, if you're feeling extravagant :smalltongue:

Oh, and the Errata themselves are free, after all - if you have the original books, you need not pay anything more to play the game. Convenience like bondage costs extra :smallbiggrin:

Swordgleam
2010-07-07, 09:20 PM

Eh, I'm kind of old-fashioned. I bought the books for the game rules. The errata affect me as a 3rd party publisher, but they'll never find their way into my game. The rules in the original books aren't broken if you don't have a group full of rules lawyers and optimizers (not that that's a bad thing), and even stuff like monsters doing too little damage is easily houseruled without needing official corrections.

I'd wager there's more people like me than there will ever be DDI subscribers.

valadil
2010-07-07, 09:31 PM

DDI doesn't provide full PDFs. If it did, I'd be all over it. I'm not even sure WotC is publishing PDFs at all anymore.

PDFs aside, I like having D&D as a hobby that's not digital. Way too many of my hobbies take place on the computer. For the sake of my wrists and eyesight, I need to stick with dead tree edition gaming books.

Gralamin
2010-07-07, 10:02 PM
DDI doesn't provide full PDFs. If it did, I'd be all over it. I'm not even sure WotC is publishing PDFs at all anymore.

PDFs aside, I like having D&D as a hobby that's not digital. Way too many of my hobbies take place on the computer. For the sake of my wrists and eyesight, I need to stick with dead tree edition gaming books.

They aren't. They flipped their lid at PHB2 and have stopped producing PDFs because "There is too much piracy". Now, think of this what you will, but its how it goes.

I buy all the books, and buy DDI a year a time. I have no problem with the Errata, because I like it when the game I play is actually supported. Also, I keep a printed copy of all errata, so I can follow it with or without DDI.

Zaq
2010-07-07, 10:24 PM
I gotta say, I don't really have any strong feelings on the errata. Magic Missile is definitely a weird choice, but then, I never saw any reason to take it in the first place (Wizard's Fury is cute, but really?) any more than I see a reason to take it now. In either case, it's just there because people would get whiny if the entity called "Wizard" didn't have an option entitled "Magic Missile," even though it's not actually useful. (Not like it was useful back in 3.5, either, except for stacking Fell X metamagics on... it, like Fireball, is a spell that really belonged back in AD&D.) Windrise Ports seems like it should be getting more of an outcry than it is (weren't people all over it as "the best background" or something? Never seemed like that huge of a deal to me, but some people apparently felt it was overpowered...), but oh well. I'm glad that Blurred Step actually works now. Overall, meh. Like I said, no real strong feelings.

Meta
2010-07-08, 12:50 AM
I gotta say, I don't really have any strong feelings on the errata. Magic Missile is definitely a weird choice, but then, I never saw any reason to take it in the first place (Wizard's Fury is cute, but really?) any more than I see a reason to take it now. In either case, it's just there because people would get whiny if the entity called "Wizard" didn't have an option entitled "Magic Missile," even though it's not actually useful. (Not like it was useful back in 3.5, either, except for stacking Fell X metamagics on... it, like Fireball, is a spell that really belonged back in AD&D.) Windrise Ports seems like it should be getting more of an outcry than it is (weren't people all over it as "the best background" or something? Never seemed like that huge of a deal to me, but some people apparently felt it was overpowered...), but oh well. I'm glad that Blurred Step actually works now. Overall, meh. Like I said, no real strong feelings.

Magic missile was very exploitable and allowed optimized wizards to out dpr strikers while remaining very effective controllers.
And the theoretical population of windrise ports was just decimated

Swordgleam
2010-07-08, 01:17 AM
Windrise Ports seems like it should be getting more of an outcry than it is (weren't people all over it as "the best background" or something? Never seemed like that huge of a deal to me, but some people apparently felt it was overpowered...), but oh well.

I think you hit it. Everyone knew it was overpowered and were holding their breath waiting for it vanish. The only surprise here is that it took so long.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 02:49 AM
Windrise Ports seems like it should be getting more of an outcry than it is (weren't people all over it as "the best background" or something? Never seemed like that huge of a deal to me, but some people apparently felt it was overpowered...),

Well, it's not all that noticeable in practice, and does pretty much nothing for you all through heroic tier, but its former ability of letting you multiclass twice allows you to cherrypick powers and feats from so many different class lists that it's the enabler for a number of power combos. So it was the most common background on charop; now that it's gone, I suppose every charopper will take Auspicuous Birth instead.

Jerthanis
2010-07-08, 04:53 AM
Okay, two questions. 1.) A friend of mine tells me there was something broken wizards could do with Magic Missile to pump out broken amounts of damage, and this errata nerfed that option. What was it specifically?

and 2.) What is it about "Magic Missile" that makes it have to automatically hit? What flavor is so great about "This doesn't require an attack roll to do crappy damage" ?

My stance on errata is more oppositional than the attitudes of most. I don't use any errata whatsoever because I hate that it causes the entire game to be in flux at all times. This is especially true with PHB2 classes' defenses. Avengers had amazing defenses! Then they had barely average defenses... then they had amazing defenses again! Now they have barely average defenses again... Hide Armor Expertise went from being probably the most powerful feat in the entire game to only an okay feat if you're a couple very specific classes, and even then almost always only at early levels. Any and every option you ever take can fall out from under you at any moment.

When I run 4E, I run without errata whatsoever. What's in the books is what is in the game... with the understanding by players not to be jerks.

lesser_minion
2010-07-08, 05:17 AM
What is it about "Magic Missile" that makes it have to automatically hit? What flavor is so great about "This doesn't require an attack roll to do crappy damage" ?

It's just a traditional element of the game. People just like to keep them around, even when they're not especially meaningful.

In this case, that was just a cute bonus on top of a separate nerf, from what I can tell.

Hide Armor Expertise went from being probably the most powerful feat in the entire game to only an okay feat if you're a couple very specific classes, and even then almost always only at early levels. Any and every option you ever take can fall out from under you at any moment.

Actually, it went to "steaming pile of nerfsauce" -- you ended up paying a feat to get underpowered heavy armour.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 05:28 AM
Okay, two questions. 1.) A friend of mine tells me there was something broken wizards could do with Magic Missile to pump out broken amounts of damage, and this errata nerfed that option. What was it specifically?

Start with all the static damage modifiers you can find.

Take Arcane Admixture to make MM do your pick of Thunder, Frost, or Radiant damage (or possibly, all of the above) and add all the feats that boost that. Don't forget White Lotus Master Riposte.

Then use Wizard's Fury, combined with various ways to recharge this power and use it every encounter.

zantes
2010-07-08, 07:04 AM

Take Arcane Admixture to make MM do your pick of Thunder, Frost, or Radiant damage (or possibly, all of the above) and add all the feats that boost that. Don't forget White Lotus Master Riposte.

Then use Wizard's Fury, combined with various ways to recharge this power and use it every encounter.

Actually, the Thunder boosting feats won't help MM at all. Inescapable Force is useful though.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 07:17 AM
Actually, the Thunder boosting feats won't help MM at all. Inescapable Force is useful though.
Resounding Thunder won't, but Echoes of Thunder might. It depends on whether you're using the reasonable or the overpowered interpretation of the latter :smallsmile:

The J Pizzel
2010-07-08, 09:05 AM
Hey gang, I hope this is isn't a thread steal but one of my players is hoping for this effect and I wanna make sure we're not doubling up on anything:

Eladrin Wizzie, level 11, +6 to Int.
Relevant feat: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Relevant items:
Master Wand of MM +3 (property: push 1 square when hit with MM)
Staff of Missile Mastery +3 (property: when you hit with MM, add the enhancement of this staff to the damage)

So, this guys MM at-will does 18 damage, and pushes the enemy 1 square?

3 (spell)
6 (int.)
3 (main hand implement)
3 (off hand implement from dual implement spellcaster)
3 (enhancement bonus from property of staff)

Is this all kosher?

One of my players is saying the two +3's from the staff don't stack. But the way I'm interpreting it, the staff is a +3, so it's get +3 to all attack and damage. The property, allows you to add the enhancement bonus again, if you're using MM. Correct?

Badgerish
2010-07-08, 09:26 AM
It would mostly work with the OLD version, which uses an attack roll and can therefore HIT or MISS, however the new version doesn't make an attack roll and therefore doesn't HIT.

So for the new version it's:
3 (spell)
? (int)
? (enhancement bonus from implement, as written in power)
? (item bonus from Staff of Missile Mastery, as written in the item)

And that's it, forever. Buff from allies don't help either, as they only add to damage 'rolls'.

The old version also got:
Item bonus from Staff of Ruin/Bracers of the perfect shot/Goblin Totem weapon
Untyped bonus from Dual Implement Mastery
Untyped bonus from Arcane Reserves
Untyped bonus from Dragonshard augment thing
Power bonuses from allies/other powers (like Paint the Target or Aggravating Force)

zantes
2010-07-08, 12:25 PM
Both Arcane Reserves and Dual Implement Spellcaster no longer work with Magic Missile, as they require damage rolls. Same goes with Staff of Missile Mastery and Staff of Ruin.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 12:28 PM
Same goes with Staff of Missile Mastery

Actually, that one got errata'ed too so it still works.

zantes
2010-07-08, 12:33 PM
Oops, missed that. At any rate, anything requiring a damage roll (or crit for that matter) won't work on Magic Missile anymore.

Meta
2010-07-08, 01:06 PM

This is the basic framework and it grows from there and becomes much nastier. 3 MMs a round. PM me if you want a fleshed out build for it

Thajocoth
2010-07-08, 03:25 PM
Hey gang, I hope this is isn't a thread steal but one of my players is hoping for this effect and I wanna make sure we're not doubling up on anything:

Eladrin Wizzie, level 11, +6 to Int.
Relevant feat: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Relevant items:
Master Wand of MM +3 (property: push 1 square when hit with MM)
Staff of Missile Mastery +3 (property: when you hit with MM, add the enhancement of this staff to the damage)

So, this guys MM at-will does 18 damage, and pushes the enemy 1 square?

3 (spell)
6 (int.)
3 (main hand implement)
3 (off hand implement from dual implement spellcaster)
3 (enhancement bonus from property of staff)

Is this all kosher?

One of my players is saying the two +3's from the staff don't stack. But the way I'm interpreting it, the staff is a +3, so it's get +3 to all attack and damage. The property, allows you to add the enhancement bonus again, if you're using MM. Correct?

Magic Missile no longer "Hits" a target. Therefore, anything that activates on a hit, doesn't effect Magic Missile anymore.

HMS Invincible
2010-07-08, 04:08 PM
Wait, how do dragonshard augments work?

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 06:26 PM
Wait, how do dragonshard augments work?

You stick 'em on a weapon and they deal 1/3/5 damage per tier. It so happens that any implement staff is also a weapon.