PDA

View Full Version : How to commit genocide of the twilight vampires of dnd ? 3.5

Grifthin
2010-07-07, 05:04 AM
Today at work we realized that Maenads are the twilight vampires of the dnd universe, Sparkling effect in the sun, exercise "self control", almost elven grace and host of other fiddely crap. So of course they have to die horribly. How high a level do you have to be to craft a spell that will wipe out every Maenad in existence ? Would one use some kind of Group spell casting or what ? What would be the requirements to cast a spell poewrful enought to acomplish this ? Think familicide for OOTS taken up to 11.

Morithias
2010-07-07, 05:06 AM
Today at work we realized that Maenads are the twilight vampires of the dnd universe, Sparkling effect in the sun, exercise "self control", almost elven grace and host of other fiddely crap. So of course they have to die horribly. How high a level do you have to be to craft a spell that will wipe out every Maenad in existence ? Would one use some kind of Group spell casting or what ? What would be the requirements to cast a spell poewrful enought to acomplish this ? Think familicide for OOTS taken up to 11.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of "greater turning" turned up to 11. They may be resistance to the sun, but they're still undead.

Or better yet, why not take rebuking up to 11 and make them kill each other in a gladiatorial area.

Grifthin
2010-07-07, 05:14 AM
Maenads arn't undead.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#maenads

2xMachina
2010-07-07, 05:18 AM
Maenads arn't undead.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#maenads

Only means Twilight Vampires aren't undead. Merely sparkly things. (makes more sense IMO)

The Mentalist
2010-07-07, 05:38 AM
I recommend someone stats up Alucard. I think he'd have a few things to say about sparkly whiners.

Or Epic Spells.

Or Epic Spells+Alucard

Darkxarth
2010-07-07, 06:03 AM
I don't see anything on the SRD about Maenads that remotely relates to the Twilight Universe vampires. That being said, Epic spells are the way to go, here.

EDIT: Is it all in the fluff of the XPH? I should dig my copy out.

Grifthin
2010-07-07, 06:09 AM
Yip, It's in the fluff - down to the pale skin, broody dark haired sparkly race. But seriously guys - what kind of spell/feat/class do I need should my character wish to wipe out a entire species in 1 casting. What kind of items etc.

Lord Loss
2010-07-07, 06:14 AM
Craft Golem. Then build Alucard golem version. Then add the Vampire Template (Screw the Rules, I have GP). Then send him to Maenad-land. Then Bubbye Edward Cullen. Make a second one called Blade for emphasis.

JeminiZero
2010-07-07, 06:15 AM
How willing are you to accept colateral damage? The easiest way in D&D to kill all Maenads on a planet, is to annihilate the planet (E.g. Anti-Osmium Bomb).

If you want to selectively kill the species (and not do it one at a time), then I think epic spells are the only way to do it.

hamishspence
2010-07-07, 06:16 AM
The original attempts at statting out Familicide involved combining the Contact epic seed with the Slay epic seed- effectively you are contacting everybody with message-sending magic, and killing them in the process.

The Mythal seed in Lost Empires of Faerun is commonly used for huge-scale effects. The Dracorage Mythal in Dragons of Faerun is powerful enough to encompass an entire planet.

Maybe use these things as a baseline?

Ossian
2010-07-07, 06:24 AM
Create "Blade, the Daylighter" (basically have a vampire bite a pregnant woman enough times to statistically ensure the production of such a fine specimen).
Run multiple experiments as such in parallel, as you need to see them grow to check if/which powers they have.

Once satisfied (say you have 5 "blades"), proceed to Clonation.

Clone spell sucks, literally "Gate" to the SW universe, Kamino System, beyond Reshee Labyrith (whatever "beyond" can mean in space) with enough hard cash at hand (natural resources will do).

Order a batch of 5000

Let them grow and train / equip

Mass gate them to your homeworld

Voila...

Prime32
2010-07-07, 06:47 AM
Just make sure you haven't confused them with members of the Armstrong family, or that the Armstrongs are not in fact members of their species.

Grifthin
2010-07-07, 07:14 AM
What's a Anti-Osmium Bomb ?

TurtleKing
2010-07-07, 07:15 AM
Shame the Maenads are not undead me and my dm came up with a great way to get rid of those sparklers. At first I suggested a holy water nukes, but then decided on how to completely clean them out. A planetary wide holy water catergory five hurricane that washes the entire planet of them along with all the other undead. If that is not enough then let it rain for fourty days and fourty nights to wash them away. Only safe place for the undead is to not even be on the planet. This would require clerics and druids everywhere working in tandem in a grand ritual that will wipe them all out.

hamishspence
2010-07-07, 07:17 AM

It's based on the presumption that D&D physics works like real-world physics unless explicitly stated otherwise- so antimatter can exist, and spells that create matter can create antimatter.

Osmium is the densest element in existence- so if matter is created by volume rather than by weight- anti-osmium is the most efficient.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-07, 07:19 AM

You use Major Creation to create a lot of anti-osmium. Upon contact with matter, it explodes as the 20 cubic feet of anti-matter it is, destroying pretty much everything due to the millions of d6 damage.

JeminiZero
2010-07-07, 07:21 AM

The second most commonly cited WMD (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2010735#post2010735) of D&D.

(The first most common WMD of course, being the Locate City Bomb, which requires less abuse of physics, but isn't nearly as lethal.)

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-07, 07:25 AM
(The first most common WMD of course, being the Locate City Bomb, which requires less abuse of physics, but isn't nearly as lethal.)

It creates a lot of zombies, though.

The Mentalist
2010-07-07, 07:35 AM
Now that Jemini has appeared and jogged my memory, why not the Emerald Legion, you could control them just to attack your victims. Though I do love the idea of cloned Alucard/Buffies (They're Alucard with breasts)

JeminiZero
2010-07-07, 07:38 AM
It creates a lot of zombies, though.

Wights (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wight) actually. Which can create spawn, in a secondary chain reaction known as the Wightpocalypse.

However, since some are made from sparkly TwiVamps, you run the inherent risk some will turn into sparkly TwiWights.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 08:07 AM
But... I like Maenads! :smallfrown: Especially the racial subs. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/maenad-wilder)

The "self control" bit is because a Maenad is as likely to murder you horribly as have a conversation with you, which is quite a bit different than what Robert Pattinson would do. It seems that in 4e, their barely-contained-psychic-rage fluff was rolled into Kalashtar.

2xMachina
2010-07-07, 08:09 AM
But... I like Maenads! :smallfrown: Especially the racial subs. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/maenad-wilder)

The "self control" bit is because a Maenad is as likely to murder you horribly as have a conversation with you, which is quite a bit different than what Robert Pattinson would do. It seems that in 4e, their barely-contained-psychic-rage fluff was rolled into Kalashtar.

Like that site. Good Psionic support. WoTC doesn't do enough for Psionics.

Grifthin
2010-07-07, 08:24 AM
Anybody with a link to a working example of a locate city bomb ?

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 08:27 AM
Like that site. Good Psionic support. WoTC doesn't do enough for Psionics.

Everything there is in Untapped Potential, The Mind Divine and I think one other DSP book.

Ormagoden
2010-07-07, 08:48 AM

Robert Pattinson would never hurt us.

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-07, 08:56 AM
Well, if you phrase it a little differently twilight vampires aren't so bad.

They are Golems constructed from diamonds that feast upon the blood of the living to sustain themselves.

JeminiZero
2010-07-07, 09:01 AM
Anybody with a link to a working example of a locate city bomb ?

I couldn't find a link that explained both variants, so here is my attempt:

1: Take Locate City, a spell with a range of ten miles per level
2: Apply snowcasting (FB) - spell now has the cold descriptor
3: Apply flash frost feat (PHB2) - spell now deals 2 points of cold damage to all in area (and makes area slippery but we don't care about that)

Variant 1:
4: Apply energy substitution (electricity) (CArc) - spell now deals electricity damge
5: Apply born of three thunders (CArc) - spell deals half electric, half sonic, but what is important is that it now requires a reflex save, allowing us to...
6: Apply explosive spell (CArc) - all creatures/things in area that fail their reflex saves are shunted to the outside of the area of effect (10 miles/level) and take 1d6 damage per 10 ft moved!

Variant 2:
4: Apply Fell Drain (Libris Mortis). Any creature that takes cold damage (from Flash Frost) also gains a negative level. Humanoids with only 1 HD are instantly slain, and will rise as Wights.
5: When cast in the middle of a crowded population centre, where 99% of the people are level 1 NPCs, you effectively convert 99% of them into Wights.
6: What follows is carnage as the 99% attack the remaining 1% and turn them into Wights. The army of Wights can then move to the next city, and turn the entire populace there to wights. And the next city, and the one after that. This chain-reaction is also known as the Wightpocalypse.

Note: The problem with Variant 1 is that Locate City could arguably occupy a flat circle rather than a sphere. If it were a sphere, the "edge of the area" as per explosive spell would be miles away, and would cause hundreds of damage. Whereas if it were a flat circle, the "edge of its area" would be immediately adjacent, thereby causing no damage.

2xMachina
2010-07-07, 09:04 AM

They are Golems constructed from diamonds that feast upon the blood of the living to sustain themselves.

Blood diamonds lol?

Darkxarth
2010-07-07, 09:15 AM
The "self control" bit is because a Maenad is as likely to murder you horribly as have a conversation with you, which is quite a bit different than what Robert Pattinson would do.

Actually, for most Twilight Vampires, this applies (except that they will probably murder you after the conversation anyway).

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 09:16 AM
Robert Pattinson would never hurt us.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :smalltongue:

So... You're comparing this

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG135.jpg

To this?

http://twilight-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/EdwardCullen1.jpg

2xMachina
2010-07-07, 09:29 AM
The metal golem looks so much cooler than... whatever that was.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-07, 09:34 AM
I third (or fourth) using Alucard.

I'd think he'd be some form of Master Vampire Necromancer Demigod who has a few levels in that one homebrew base class that turns you into an eldritch horror.

Though once you hit Chapter 95 he's more just DM power given physically form since he's Omnipresent and utterly immortal (even more so than he had been).

The Tygre
2010-07-07, 11:28 PM
Read Kobold Quarterly's Ecology of the Maenads. Then come and talk to me about 'sparklepires'. Trust me when I tell you that it puts Maenads back to their roots.

TechnOkami
2010-07-07, 11:34 PM
I recommend someone stats up Alucard. I think he'd have a few things to say about sparkly whiners.

Or Epic Spells.

Or Epic Spells+Alucard

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=twilight+alucard#/d1t50hc

Beelzebub1111
2010-07-07, 11:40 PM
So... You're comparing this
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG135.jpg
To this?

http://twilight-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/EdwardCullen1.jpg
Think about it, it's a lot scarier than that. They blend in with humanity, become one of us, gain our trust...then strike. They move at blinding speeds, they are at least ten times as strong as an ordinary person, and have special powers like mind reading. And when they drink you dry, you slowly turn into one of them. If billed differently the twilight vampires can make decent horror monsters.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-08, 12:09 AM
Is there any way to turn all of the water on a planet to Holy Water?

If a spell similar to Forbiddance was used that had a large enough area boosted by divine metamagics, a huge area could be devastated quickly and efficiently. All you would have to do is cast it on an entire village, and then create a reason for the people to flee the village. As they pass the barrier they'd take quite a bit of damage.

~

Also, the spell Weighted in the Balance casts a Heal spell on all undead within 30ft of you. If space around you could be manipulated, that have the potential to cover a huge area.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-08, 01:39 AM
i dont know how to kill maenads. . . but for vampires . . .

Hey Pelor! That vampire has the audacity to not only not die when comfronted by the sun, but to sparkle in it. . . Please fix the problem.

the god known for dispising undead will solve the problem and the sparkle. . .

Myth
2010-07-08, 09:47 AM
Be a female.
Be a Wizard.
Become a Witch of Rashemen.
Infiltrate Thay.
Become a Red Wizard.

Use double Circle Magic to cast epically epic spells. Proceed to wipe them from the planet.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 09:58 AM
Think about it, it's a lot scarier than that. They blend in with humanity, become one of us, gain our trust...then strike. They move at blinding speeds, they are at least ten times as strong as an ordinary person, and have special powers like mind reading. And when they drink you dry, you slowly turn into one of them. If billed differently the twilight vampires can make decent horror monsters.

Exactly. They can do all that, yet are still complete wusses.

<---- not worried

Also, I'm glad the thread has shifted from Maenad hate to Twilight hate where it belongs. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-07-08, 10:03 AM
Perhaps a boosted version of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html)?

Note that I haven't bothered checking if anyone else has already posted this.

BobVosh
2010-07-08, 10:09 AM
Read the dark sun backstory, and figure out a spell to make that kind of slayer.

Basically a much higher DC for the Origin of species spell.

i dont know how to kill maenads. . . but for vampires . . .

Hey Pelor! That vampire has the audacity to not only not die when comfronted by the sun, but to sparkle in it. . . Please fix the problem.

the god known for dispising undead will solve the problem and the sparkle. . .

The burning hate only cares for true undead, lest he reveals his true alignment.

Perhaps a boosted version of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html)?

Note that I haven't bothered checking if anyone else has already posted this.

The first post mentioned it.

Morph Bark
2010-07-08, 10:26 AM
Well, alternatively, someone could summon the Twilight novels from our world and publish them in their own world, somewhat altered to make it seem even moreso subtly like it is all Maenads, then sit back and watch the haters and fans rage against each other in an all-out war that, ultimately, either destroys the Maenads or creates a lot of half-Maenads, diluting the bloodline and eventually wiping them out that way.

I'm still not convinced that that isn't a possibility of what happened to the Neanderthals...