PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia, an unpleasant thing

enigmatime
2010-07-07, 05:36 AM
Recently, I have been struck with a case of insomnia. Tonight, however is the first time without ANY sleep. That being said, do any of you, the well rested (or not) people of the playground, know the main causes of insomnia and the cure of it?

Trog
2010-07-07, 06:47 AM
No I don't, unfortunately, but you have my sympathies. I only know that I get struck with it anytime I read Stephen King's Insomnia, for some stupid reason. So I don't reread it too often as I'm 2 for 2 now.

enigmatime
2010-07-07, 06:51 AM
No I don't, unfortunately, but you have my sympathies. I only know that I get struck with it anytime I read Stephen King's Insomnia, for some stupid reason. So I don't reread it too often as I'm 2 for 2 now.

I know only of stress and fear as causes of insomnia but there are more.

Lillith
2010-07-07, 07:15 AM
It could be a mental thing, something that is bugging you (sub)consciously might make your mind unable to sleep.

Might be due to stimulants, herbs, coffee, drugs, medicines. Hormonal (dunno if you're female) or because of pain. Disturbance in schedule, like jetlag or workshift. Environmental, room is really dirty or lots of noise.

Prolly more, here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia#Causes).

Edit: whoops sorry didn't see you filled in your gender, scratch hormonal.

enigmatime
2010-07-07, 07:32 AM
It could be a mental thing, something that is bugging you (sub)consciously might make your mind unable to sleep.

Might be due to stimulants, herbs, coffee, drugs, medicines. Hormonal (dunno if you're female) or because of pain. Disturbance in schedule, like jetlag or workshift. Environmental, room is really dirty or lots of noise.

Prolly more, here's a link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia#Causes).

Edit: whoops sorry didn't see you filled in your gender, scratch hormonal.

I am a schizophrenic... I also have nightmares alot... Let's not forget about summer, what with the lack of classes and schedule. Thank you!

Lillith
2010-07-07, 07:37 AM
You're welcome, I hope the link might help you. You can always discuss this problem with a doctor/therapist, perhaps they know a way to help you get more sleep. Perhaps if it's the schedule thing, you can set up your own schedule of doing certain things at certain times. Like going to a gym, find a vacation job, etc.

enigmatime
2010-07-07, 07:47 AM
You're welcome, I hope the link might help you. You can always discuss this problem with a doctor/therapist, perhaps they know a way to help you get more sleep. Perhaps if it's the schedule thing, you can set up your own schedule of doing certain things at certain times. Like going to a gym, find a vacation job, etc.

Without structure, I'm without sleep. I need to do exactly what you just said lol.

MrEdwardNigma
2010-07-07, 08:35 AM
My own insomnia has been acting up again lately, but I find there's very little I can do about it. Usually I just wait until it passes. If you find anything that works for you, be sure to let me know.

Kris Strife
2010-07-07, 08:46 AM
May not be the kind of suggestion you're looking for, but Unisom is a pretty good sleep aid. I suggest the Melt-tablets.

Lillith
2010-07-07, 10:02 AM
My own insomnia has been acting up again lately, but I find there's very little I can do about it. Usually I just wait until it passes. If you find anything that works for you, be sure to let me know.

I think you can find a 'cure' for your insomnia (if any) if you can figure out what causes it. If it's medicine related, ask your doctor for a different dosage/meds. If it's stress related, find out what the cause of your stress is and hopefully try to solve it. Etc. Insomnia is a really annoying symptom that can indicate a variety of problems. With me it's just because me room is 32degreesC at night. :smallbiggrin: I wouldn't resort to meds unless it's a last resort.

Eadin
2010-07-07, 10:12 AM
Meds only make things worse.
Especially sleep meds.
Plant-based things like Cedinal help
Or Bachbloesem.Or lavender oil...

enigmatime
2010-07-07, 12:21 PM
The only thing I can think of to fix it is caffeine because it makes me sleepy.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-07-07, 03:23 PM
Recently, I have been struck with a case of insomnia. Tonight, however is the first time without ANY sleep. That being said, do any of you, the well rested (or not) people of the playground, know the main causes of insomnia and the cure of it?

Insomnia can be caused by many, many things. I occasionally suffer from it for about a week at a time, with something like months between the incidents, but for that week, I am absolutely miserable.
Are you stressed? Is there anything going on right now in your life that's bothering you? Or are you excited about anything?
How's your caffeine intake? What times do you eat? Do you drink a lot of alcohol?
These things influence sleep level a lot.
Try to eat atleast two hours before you sleep, and notice which kinds of foods you eat. Certain ones will give you energy and keep you up. Alcohol, while it initially makes you sleepy, will actually wake you up within an hour or so.
I'm sure you've already heard the bit about caffeine, so I won't go there.

There's the typical suggestions of destressing, but I'm sure you know all that.
Drugs are a bad idea, unless nothing else works, but there are several natural sleeping agents. Valerian root, melatonin, kava kava, lavender, and jasmine are all helpful sometimes, in my experience.
Also, there are ways to trick your mind. Make your bed into a sleeping only area (with, you know, the exception of sex). Don't eat or read or use your laptop in your bed.
Just sleep in it.
It really does help.

Starfols
2010-07-07, 05:23 PM
The only thing I can think of to fix it is caffeine because it makes me sleepy.

I've had this. Caffeine doesn't change your body telling you it needs sleep, it just prevents people falling asleep.

I've had trouble sleeping lately, too. I spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about trivial stuff, and dealing with (I think imagined) chest pains.

Pyrian
2010-07-07, 05:27 PM
Chest pains while lying down by a youngish person with no history of heart disease? It's probably heartburn, literally stomach acid in your esophagus. That's not something you want to allow to progress. (Trust me. Imagine there's acid on the skin of your arm. Do you think you're better off wiping it away or just leaving it there to burn into, and eventually through?) A few Tums should take of it. It also helps to raise the head of your bed.

Cealocanth
2010-07-07, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, I have no idea how it's caused, how you can tell you have it, what it feels like to have it, nor how to tell someone has it. I didn't enev know what it was untill I googled it a few minutes ago.

You have my sympathies.

Savannah
2010-07-07, 10:31 PM
I used to have insomnia. Turned out to be a zinc deficiency. If you aren't taking one already, it might be worth seeing if a multivitamin/mineral supplement helps; it did for me and it's pretty much harmless.

Starfols
2010-07-08, 12:38 AM
Chest pains while lying down by a youngish person with no history of heart disease? It's probably heartburn, literally stomach acid in your esophagus. That's not something you want to allow to progress. (Trust me. Imagine there's acid on the skin of your arm. Do you think you're better off wiping it away or just leaving it there to burn into, and eventually through?) A few Tums should take of it. It also helps to raise the head of your bed.

Oh, could be. I thought it was something to do with my sternum; I broke it a few years back. One spot's still numb, and hurts often. I've also heard depression causes random aches. I'll get it checked out.

Lillith
2010-07-08, 04:33 AM
I've had this. Caffeine doesn't change your body telling you it needs sleep, it just prevents people falling asleep.

I've had trouble sleeping lately, too. I spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about trivial stuff, and dealing with (I think imagined) chest pains.

I find that it helps me to write down all my worries and thoughts when I can't sleep because of it. Usually it is a way for me to vent and also put my thoughts in order. Afterwards I'm tired from venting and am able to sleep. Some people say 'just don't worry and think when you're trying to sleep' but that's not really that easy because it's something that is on your mind. Might as well get it out. :smallwink:

MrEdwardNigma
2010-07-08, 07:40 AM
I don't take pills, I don't have any stress whatsoever, I don't drink large quantities of coffee and my trouble sleeping doesn't particularly occur when I've been drinking a lot, since those are nights I generally don't make it to my bed anyways. I find that the times I eat don't influence my sleeping whatsoever. My bed is already a sleeping only area and refuse to take sleeping pills (they just get me more tired, not less) or homeopathic stuff (it doesn't work on me).

Still, insomnia. I simply have periods in my life in which I can't sleep, seemingly unrelated to anything else. I've checked wikipedia and it suggests some other causes, only one of which seems plausible, so I'll just assume it's that.

Thanks everyone for trying to help:smallsmile:
(even if most of the help was directed at enigmatime rather than me :smalltongue:)

snoopy13a
2010-07-08, 10:40 AM
There are many causes for insomina including:

-Stress
-Depression
-Too much Caffine
-other stimulants
-Mild alcohol withdrawl (e.g. you've gotten drunk the past 2-3 nights and are trying to go to sleep sober--> this also results in freaky nightmares)
-poor sleep hygine (e.g. staying up late on a Saturday night and sleeping in Sunday morning--> leads to insomnia Sunday night when one tries to go to bed early)
-too excited--> likely from playing video games late at night
-nervousness- closely related to stress but more due to apprehesion to a big test/meeting/job interview/starting a new job in the morning

Plus some people just suffer from insomnia because they think too much when trying to go to sleep :smalltongue:

enigmatime
2010-07-08, 11:11 AM
I should probably say that whenever I have insomnia, it is on days I DON'T drink Red Bull. Then again, the days I DO drink it aren't often. I didn't drink it yesterday but I slept fine. Do you think my sleeping could be affected by what I drink (Red Bull, milk, green tea, lemonade, wine from church, assorted juices, etcetera)? I usually have a cup of tea when I wake up and right before I go to bed (calms my nerves). I'm not sure if there's caffiene in it, though (Japanese green tea, by the way). I usually melt a thin piece of dark chocolate into the tea but not always.

monomer
2010-07-08, 11:31 AM
What you drink really could affect your sleeping patterns. Even if you think that caffeine is not affecting you, I would still try to go without it in the afternoons and evenings for awhile to see if it helps.

Green Tea will almost always have caffeine in it, roughly in equivalent amounts to that in black tea. That is unless you buy a decaffeinated version. Instead of green tea, you could also try drinking some herbal teas in the evening, such as chamomile or rooibos which do not contain caffeine, to calm yourself down.

Pyrian
2010-07-08, 11:32 AM
I should probably say that whenever I have insomnia, it is on days I DON'T drink Red Bull. Then again, the days I DO drink it aren't often.Let me guess: you drink Red Bull when you're tired? :smallamused:

enigmatime
2010-07-08, 11:37 AM
Let me guess: you drink Red Bull when you're tired? :smallamused:

Sometimes, but other times I just drink it because I like the taste of it.

Thajocoth
2010-07-09, 06:41 AM
It's nearly 8am. I have not slept last night. I will try to go through the day without a nap so I might wake up at a decent time tomorrow... Every time I loop around like this though, it never seems to work.

I used to have insomnia. Turned out to be a zinc deficiency. If you aren't taking one already, it might be worth seeing if a multivitamin/mineral supplement helps; it did for me and it's pretty much harmless.

Zinc, huh? I probably don't get a lot of that. I think I'm probably deficient in, like, 90% of healthy stuff.

enigmatime
2010-07-10, 01:24 AM
It's nearly 8am. I have not slept last night. I will try to go through the day without a nap so I might wake up at a decent time tomorrow... Every time I loop around like this though, it never seems to work.

Zinc, huh? I probably don't get a lot of that. I think I'm probably deficient in, like, 90% of healthy stuff.

I need zinc!

OH GODS, IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!

Savannah
2010-07-10, 01:34 AM
I need zinc!

Only if you are deficient. There's a bunch of other symptoms of deficiency as well as insomnia, I'd suggest doing a bit of research.

thubby
2010-07-10, 01:34 AM
you silly insomniacs. always groaning and shuffling about in us night-owl's territory.
you're lucky we don't mistake you for zombies :smallcool:

sleep aids, if you don't suffer frequently.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-10, 01:42 AM
WHY AM I AWAKE NOW?!?!?!? (Current time: 2:42 AM)

Rin_Hunter
2010-07-10, 10:52 AM
112 hours awake is my record. I've never sought a cure.

Things that keep me awake include: Stress, Depression, Nightmares (all three are linked)... my OCD if something is out of place or annoys me... Slender Man (Marble Hornets where he comes into the bedroom)...

Thajocoth
2010-07-11, 03:57 PM
I finally fell asleep at a reasonable time last night (around 2am). Had my alarm set for 10am. Slept until 4pm... Completely screwing everything over, again, for tonight. That's 14 hours of sleep.

My insomnia is caused mostly by the bed getting too hot while I'm lying there waiting to fall asleep. (I give off an excess of body heat.) This is compounded by a schedule that keeps slowly shifting later & later from it... But letting it loop around never works, 'cause the I just sleep extra. Alarm clocks get shut off while I'm still asleep, even if across the room.

Also, about 10-15% of the issue is some leg pain... I take Advil when I remember. No medical insurance, so I can't have anyone look at it, and even if I did, it'd be a "pre-existing condition", so I'd have to wait a few years anyway, for when that designation is finally outlawed as an excuse not to cover something (unless one of the Canadian companies I've applied to hires me). It's either circulatory or from bowed legs. My leg shape was mostly corrected when I was an infant, but I kept climbing out of my crib, and the braces were therefore a hazard. My mother and her mother both have circulatory issues, my mother's father died of a heart attack and my biological father had a pacemaker by my age... And I know I've got a little bit of an echo... Combined with my horrible horrible diet... A circulatory issue is not at all unlikely. Advil thins blood, it works on my legs, I suspect circulatory issue over bowleggedness for this problem... Not that my bowed legs don't give me pain in other situations (jogging)...

enigmatime
2010-08-09, 09:11 AM
Could this please be thread locked?

IonDragon
2010-08-09, 10:39 AM
My "Insomnia" is only caused by a lack of quality schedule and weakened self control. My work often calls for me to stay up overnight, and sometimes has me getting up rather early. For example; Friday night/Saturday morning I worked graveyard (11 PM to 7 AM) and today Monday, I'm working the morning shift (6:30 AM to Noon-ish). I felt it was in my best interest to stay up all night rather than get 4 hours of sleep (Also the Prince of Persia movie had just finished downloading and I had things I was working on...). Probably not the best call.

If I were a good person, I would have gone to bed at 9:30 PM, gotten exactly 8 hours of sleep, took a 15 min shower and been on time for work. Instead I took almost a half an hour shower, and was 20 min late for work.

IonDragon
2010-08-17, 04:22 AM
I am visiting family in the Great Lakes region (Indiana) which is 3 hours ahead. I usually go to bed at about 2-3 AM and get up at the crack of noon when I'm working afternoon or evening shifts. Doing so at the same global time would have me going to bed at 5-6 AM, and getting up at about 3 in the afternoon. Rude?

So, it looks like tonight is another sleepless night. Anyone else awake?

I think the worst part is because I've traveled into the future, all of my friends are still asleep.

The Antagonist
2010-08-17, 07:27 PM
You may want to really look at what you're consuming. Certain foods and drinks can make you restless. Also, what's going on in your life could be a huge deal. I know I always get insomnia and/or nightmares before some sort of stressful situation, be it schoolwork, relationships, financial issues, whatever. These sorts of things may be subconscious as well. Just take care of yourself, man. Whatever it is, it'll most likely pass. You have my support.

Inhuman Bot
2010-08-18, 01:29 AM
I've been having sleep issues for the past few weeks. I can't figure out why, and it's a really big pain. :/

nolispe
2010-08-18, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I usually miss a night of sleep every week or so. Current record: three nights straight.

golentan
2010-08-18, 02:08 AM
I tend to sleep... poorly. I don't want to go to sleep, and I don't sleep well when I do.

My psych says it's PTSD.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-18, 10:01 PM
Except for a brief time of girl trouble... I fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Anytime, anywhere.

Now staying asleep, that's different. I sleep like a cat, up and down all day and night. Rarely down for more than 4 hours before popping up to go strong for a few hours and then ready for my fifth nap of the day.

Through this I've also discovered that studies showing you have to go through layers of normal sleep to achieve REM is bull. I laid down for a nap at, say, 2 pm. Have a nightmare, wake up, it's 2:02.

Lord Raziere
2010-08-18, 10:47 PM
Plus some people just suffer from insomnia because they think too much when trying to go to sleep :smalltongue:

that might be it. unfortunately my brain naturally likes to think about stuff, puzzle and figure things out, so my brain is trying to think of a solution to my not-sleeping and trying to stop thinking is hard for me.