PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Summoned weapons?

2010-07-07, 08:21 AM
Are there any spells or classes (gish PrCs presumably) that let you summon weapons?

I'm not talking about enhancing existing weapons, creating ammunition or give you a few attacks over the next few rounds, but options that let you use a weapon of pure magic instead of something you bought. DnD is based around the cycle of Kill Loot Upgrade, so I can understand why it's not a common element within the game, but it seems like that sort of effect is iconic enough to have a few examples. There should be at least one Gish PrC that revolves around the idea. (if not all of them. really, it could be the lightsaber of DnD, exotic melee weapon available only to the awesome)

I'll keep a list of anything people can think of here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm *
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a (Soulbound Weapon ACF) *
Incarnate Weapon Soulmeld (?, MoI) *
Ancestral Weapon (feat, BoED)
Binder w/ Eurynome vestige *
Summon Weapon (spell, CM) *
Ice Axe (spell, SC) *
Shadowsmith (PrC, ToM) *
Spectral Weapon *

* creates a weapon out of pure magic rather than augmenting a pre-existing weapon that you own, which is what I had in mind to begin with, and objectively awesome

Can anyone think of any other ways to take using magic in melee to a new, more literal level?

Escheton
2010-07-07, 08:25 AM
I like the call weaponry psionic power.
Especially the implications that random warriors could be missing their weapon in time of need.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 08:30 AM
I like the call weaponry psionic power.
Especially the implications that random warriors could be missing their weapon in time of need.

Actually, it reaches across time as well, so you could end up borrowing a sword from your future self. Now that could be a hilarious twist, if your weapon suddenly vanishes later in the campaign to help out your past self.

Sort of like this (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/09/19/episode-1174-oh-thats-what/)

2010-07-07, 08:51 AM
Actually, it reaches across time as well, so you could end up borrowing a sword from your future self. Now that could be a hilarious twist, if your weapon suddenly vanishes later in the campaign to help out your past self.

Sort of like this (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/09/19/episode-1174-oh-thats-what/)

That sounds pretty hilarious.

Am I understanding this right? If you have Martial Weapon Proficiency (and if you're using that power then you're a Psychic Warrior, and you do), then you could use that power to summon whatever weapon is perfect for the situation you're in? I don't know too much about psionics, but could you use that in every combat, and not even need to own an ordinary weapon?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-07, 08:59 AM
Yep, but I think it is better if you use the souldbound ACF of the psychic warrior, now the weapon you call autoscale in enchancements

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 09:04 AM
Am I understanding this right? If you have Martial Weapon Proficiency (and if you're using that power then you're a Psychic Warrior, and you do), then you could use that power to summon whatever weapon is perfect for the situation you're in? I don't know too much about psionics, but could you use that in every combat, and not even need to own an ordinary weapon?

You can call weapons by type, but not a specific weapon itself. So I can say "Bastard Sword" but have no guarantee of getting a specific one, such as the same bastard sword I got last time, or my own bastard sword lying across the room in my scabbard, or my enemy's bastard sword as he charges me etc.

The power is pretty vague in that respect. Could you potentially end up with an enemy's weapon mid-fight? If you pick a very rare type of weapon (e.g. "Gnomish Quickrazor, or Elven Court-Blade, or Neraph Annulat) is it possible that there are so few that you could end up with the same one twice (prompting its owner to investigate?) The "across time" can solve that issue at least; even if you get the second situation, it could be from another point in time and thus negate any rarity. Perhaps the chance of such a thing happening is thus so small (once you consider infinite times and spaces) that it simply doesn't.

You can also negate the "my weapon might disappear to help my past self" problem simply by using a magic weapon, or one made of special materials - the power can summon neither.

An interesting point is that you don't have to be proficient with a weapon to call it. So you can say "Spiked Chain" before you learn the EWP feat for it. This comes in especially handy if you use the Soulbound Weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) Psywar ACF - pick a weapon you want to end up using even if you can't use it yet, and you can grab the feats to use it later.

Ninja'd on Soulbound Weapon

Prime32
2010-07-07, 09:06 AM
Soulbound weapon ACF
incarnate weapon soulmeld

Person_Man
2010-07-07, 09:13 AM
Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441) solutions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92407)?

2010-07-07, 10:12 AM
Soulbound weapon ACF

OK, I googled Soulbound weapon ACF. I got directed to THIS THREAD. What!?

I quite like the class feature, although you couldn't then choose your weapon from encounter to encounter, by which I mean Halberd in this fight, Greatsword in that, Longbow for the fight against the dragon when I can't fly (yet?).

You could on the other hand choose your weapon enchantments from encounter to encounter; only have Flaming when you're fighting the white dragon, only have Brilliant Energy... actually, if I'm learning psionics correctly, that'd cost 21 power points, meaning you'd need to be epic level before you could do that one. Still, you could have it when you're fighting dragons and heavily armoured enemies, but not when fighting undead or constructs.

Is there any way to "quick-draw" your soulbound weapon, other than Quicken Power and spending 6 extra PP? It'd be a shame if you had to sit out the first round of any combat you didn't anticipate.

Also, what's a Mantle?

Also, is that really it? There's no way to do this sort of thing without using psionics? (Or Incarnum, which I have even less of a clue about than psionics.)

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 11:29 AM
OK, I googled Soulbound weapon ACF. I got directed to THIS THREAD. What!?

The Playground tends to figure highly in Google's algorithm, probably due to the posting rate.

I quite like the class feature, although you couldn't then choose your weapon from encounter to encounter, by which I mean Halberd in this fight, Greatsword in that, Longbow for the fight against the dragon when I can't fly (yet?).

You can still use Call Weaponry normally, even with the ACF, to switch up your weapons selection. Only your soulbound weapon stays static.

You could on the other hand choose your weapon enchantments from encounter to encounter; only have Flaming when you're fighting the white dragon, only have Brilliant Energy... actually, if I'm learning psionics correctly, that'd cost 21 power points, meaning you'd need to be epic level before you could do that one. Still, you could have it when you're fighting dragons and heavily armoured enemies, but not when fighting undead or constructs.

Not necessarily. There are ways (like Overchannel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel)) to boost your ML, which will allow you to hit high augmentation levels for Call Weaponry pre-epic.

Overchannel itself works particularly well because Call Weaponry is a 1st-level power - making it eligible for the Talented (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#talented) feat no matter how high you augment it.

Under the default transparency rules, any item that boosts caster level boosts manifester level as well.

Is there any way to "quick-draw" your soulbound weapon, other than Quicken Power and spending 6 extra PP? It'd be a shame if you had to sit out the first round of any combat you didn't anticipate.

You don't have to - nothing is stopping you from whipping out a normal weapon and rushing into the fray. Call Weaponry is for when you're locked in the local jail, or you're about to assassinate the king, or about to spring an ambush and need your ace etc.

Also, what's a Mantle?

They are a new mechanic introduced in Complete Psionic - a collection of powers that share a theme, similar to a domain. Like domains, a mantle also has a granted ability (again, tied to its theme) that gives you a little bonus trick or a feat.

Also, is that really it? There's no way to do this sort of thing without using psionics? (Or Incarnum, which I have even less of a clue about than psionics.)

I suppose you can create weapons with Fabricate or something, but I think that would require time and craft checks. Or you could hide one in your body with that Assassin spell.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 11:41 AM
You could have an Ancestral Weapon (BoED) with the "Called" property (MIC). That would allow you to summon it from anywhere on the same plane, IIRC. Since its Ancestral, you sacrifice other magic items to it to augement its own power (this is my father sword). Costs a feat, but actually saves you some jink down the road.

Cog
2010-07-07, 02:25 PM
Binders with Eurynome bound can summon her warhammer as a swift action. It scales with level, up to +3 anarchic adamantine, and it's 2d6 / x3.

I recall hearing of an 'Ice Axe' spell as well. From It's Cold Outside, most likely.

gorfnab
2010-07-07, 02:41 PM
Summon Weapon Spell - Complete Mage

balistafreak
2010-07-07, 02:45 PM
I recall hearing of an 'Ice Axe' spell as well. From It's Cold Outside, most likely.

The name makes me think the original source might be Frostburn, but it's in the Spell Compendium regardless.

Note: 2d12+some extra for caster level cold damage on touch attacks is sick. Now your DMM Cleric-zilla doesn't even need a high strength! (Yes, at later levels you'll need bigger guns/Power Attack, but as a low-level Persist-zilla before Divine Power this thing is awesome.)

The best part about persisting it is that you don't need to hold it to have it "at hand" and it disappears and reappears as needed. You can have a shield in your other hand (remember, you're probably 5th-6th level) and still cast spells with somatic components without having to drop/sheathe your weapon. Or you can claim being unarmed, only to whip out your ice axe and brain someone in a surprise round.

Then the DM made us fight a bunch of skeletons, and I cried. :smallfrown:

CyMage
2010-07-07, 02:45 PM
I believe there is also Shadowsmith in Tome of Magic. Create weapons/armour out of shadows.

gallagher
2010-07-07, 02:53 PM
spectral weapon from spell compendium. does touch attacks and can be any weapon you want.

wizard/sorc 3, so you can put it in a wand

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 02:56 PM
Then the DM made us fight a bunch of skeletons, and I turned them and laughed

Fixed that for you?

Khellendross
2010-07-07, 03:31 PM
In 4e there is the swordsage with is pretty much their version of the duskblade I think. Wouldn't be a stretch to ask a DM to allow the duskblade to call their weapon also.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 03:36 PM
Do you mean Swordmage?

balistafreak
2010-07-07, 03:36 PM
Fixed that for you?

I had zero turn attempts left. I already used them all on DMM. :smallannoyed:

The next day I just didn't persist Ice Axe and went to town with a random +1 Morningstar.

Hague
2010-07-07, 03:38 PM
Under the default transparency rules, any item that boosts caster level boosts manifester level as well.

Where is that at again? I thought transparency only applied to dispels and magic resistance not caster levels from effects or items.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 03:47 PM
Where is that at again? I thought transparency only applied to dispels and magic resistance not caster levels from effects or items.

It specifically applies to spells and items:

Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

Hague
2010-07-07, 04:01 PM
Yeah, psionics, not psionic-users. You aren't augmenting or affecting actual effect of a psionic power or psi-like ability, you are affecting the person using it, which isn't covered under that rule. By that ruling, you're granting the Cerebremancer a ridiculous advantage.

Now, I can see where it would apply with effects that directly affect the next power you manifest, but if it directly modifies the level of the manifester, it shouldn't work. If the target of the spell, spell-like ability, or magic item is not an active psionic power, psi-like ability, or psionic item, it shouldn't work.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 04:54 PM
Yeah, psionics, not psionic-users. You aren't augmenting or affecting actual effect of a psionic power or psi-like ability, you are affecting the person using it, which isn't covered under that rule.

I'm not affecting the person - I'm affecting his manifester level, which is a quality of the person, just like his power resistance or psionic feats would be (and which are also subject to transparency.)

Furthermore, WotC disagrees with your interpretation. "Manifester Level: The psionic equivalent of caster level." (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060606a)

By that ruling, you're granting the Cerebremancer a ridiculous advantage.

I'm really not. He has a manifester level and a caster level. If he were to use an orange ioun stone, he'd pick one to be enhanced by it.

This is no different than a Mystic Theurge using one, and being able to enhance his arcane or divine caster level. How is that "ridiculous advantage?"

2010-07-07, 05:10 PM
Lots and lots of responses, many different ways to summon a weapon out of thin air. Great stuff. The Shadowsmith seems really interesting, although all the heavy lifting is being done by the class features and the full BAB 6+INT skill points; shadow magic mysteries aren't especially interesting and at level 10 you get all of three level 1 mysteries per day. Ice Axe and Spectral Blade are probably as close to what I had in mind as exist within DnD, something an arcane gish would use instead of an ordinary sword (assuming they had access to Persist spell or a really large number of castings).

Optimystik, thanks for all the help with psionics in general. Seems like Psychic Warrior is a really cool class. Now if only I knew a DM confident enough with psionics to be willing to let me play one...

In 4e there is the swordsage with is pretty much their version of the duskblade I think. Wouldn't be a stretch to ask a DM to allow the duskblade to call their weapon also.

Wasn't really looking for a way to summon a previously existing sword, but I do know a bit about this class. It's strongly inspired by an Arcana Unearthed/Evolved class called the Mage Blade. They're a gish in a can base class, and they get an attachment to a specific blade (called an athame) which they can summon to their side from progressively more interesting distances. Also, if anyone else tries to pick it up, it attacks them. They might not be related (calling a sword to you with magic is pretty iconic) but it seemed similar to me.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-07, 10:49 PM
I'm really not. He has a manifester level and a caster level. If he were to use an orange ioun stone, he'd pick one to be enhanced by it.
"Choosing a class" is not a property of an Orange Ioun Stone. This item boosts CL (and, by transparency, ML) in all relevant classes. (Note that Mystic Theurge is not a spellcasting class; it merely advances spellcasting of a couple of other classes.)

Fizban
2010-07-08, 03:19 AM
If you're accepting Ice Axe from the Spell Compendium, here are some more:

Decastave (Unapproachable East)
Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm)
Flame Dagger (SpC)

Decastave makes a quarterstaff of force, scimitar of sand is like flame blade but made of sand and sor/wiz friendly as well, and flame dagger is just a smaller flame blade for wizards.

While none of these allow you to apply your strength bonus to damage, they're all wielded as weapons, and you can two-hand all of them except the dagger. This means that you can Power Attack with them just fine for +2/-1 against touch AC, unless a new ruling/consensus has come around since the last time we talked about this.

Spectral Weapon is indeed awesome. While some DMs will say you can't use Power Attack with a Flame Blade anyway, Spectral Weapon doesn't have the same clause as Flame Blade so it's a lot harder to justify why not. Spectral Weapon is basically a 1 round/level Wraithstrike with a save for half, which I think is pretty dang good.

Bonus: by my calculations, assuming you activate it once per combat, you can go 4 levels before you have to replace a wand of Flame Blade or Scimitar of Sand. Sadly, while the picture of Decastave is ridiculously awesome, the spell only lasts 1 round/level, so it's no good for wanding.

Harperfan7
2010-07-08, 03:38 AM
I made a homebrew spell that summons a big meteoric "thor's hammer" style weapon. It worked kind of like a summon spell in that it only lasted in rounds/level.

Optimystik
2010-07-08, 07:44 AM
"Choosing a class" is not a property of an Orange Ioun Stone. This item boosts CL (and, by transparency, ML) in all relevant classes. (Note that Mystic Theurge is not a spellcasting class; it merely advances spellcasting of a couple of other classes.)

Neither is Cerebremancer, which is the analogy he was trying to draw.

My point stands - it's no more or less powerful than any other theurge with access to the same item.