PDA

View Full Version : [3.5x] "Don't need to Eat or Drink" (Feats/OP)

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-07, 10:26 AM
Evening all, another quick question.
I need a non magical (psionics included), non template, non item way of achieving the ability that I
"Don't need to eat or drink"

I vaguely remember reading a feat that puts it along the lines. I know Endurance (albeit its near uselessness) is a way to push my character for awhile, I however, am looking for immunity.

Anyone know a feat?

woodenbandman
2010-07-07, 10:30 AM
Any of the "body" feats for warforged in eberron. Catch is, you gotta be a warforged.

Also, there are some racial feats for Elan in complete psionic for this, but you gotta be an Elan.

Myth
2010-07-07, 10:31 AM
Any PrC that allows you to turn in to an outsider (like Elemental Savant), Undead (like Dread Necro). Full progression monk ... Yeah just get a ring of sustenance.

balistafreak
2010-07-07, 10:34 AM
The Vow of Poverty gives you Sustenance (don't eat, drink, sleep) at 5th level, I think. It consists of 2 feats, Sacred Vow and the titular Vow of Povery - and a HUGE character impact, in that you trade away all your wealth ever for flat, relatively poor benefits.

It's remotely tolerable with the "generic feat" reading which turns all the even-leveled bonus exalted feats into regular feats, but most of the time you'd almost always be better with money... so yeah. Only take this on a character who would need to be powered down, like a Druid or something. VoP on any sort of equipment dependant character - including the Monk, who unfortunately is the best thematic fit for the Vow - is terribad and an Ackbar-sized trap.

So no, I don't recommend it unless you want to RP a poor ascetic and are capable of softening the huge loss of power.

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-07, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Im aware of the...train wreck, that can be(mostly is) VoP and its associates.

I however, cannot take VoP. I know for a fact the DM will say no because "Its to powerful." Now, before that ignites the fires of War and debate. Lets not derail the thread. :smallsmile:

So, VoP is out, Rings (or anything magical) is out. Racial are out, as I'm already a home brew class.

Setting Info: Wasteland Setting, Futuristic. Loosely d20 Modern.

AS for class options, The game prolly wont get to 15+. So capstone abilities are out. Not to mention..monk.. :smallsmile:

Snake-Aes
2010-07-07, 10:54 AM
You're hosed. All ways to avoid hunger involve either magic/psionics or templates.

Maerok
2010-07-07, 11:21 AM
Tomb-Born Vitality might work. I can't remember if it removes the need to eat/drink/sleep or just minimizes them. You'd need Tomb-tainted Soul as well.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-07, 11:25 AM
Tomb-Born Vitality might work. I can't remember if it removes the need to eat/drink/sleep or just minimizes them. You'd need Tomb-tainted Soul as well.

Oh, true, it works. No food, no drinking, no sleeping.

2xMachina
2010-07-07, 12:02 PM
Can't you go necropolitan? I know the no templates thing, but this is a acquired template that can be tacked on a lot of things.

Person_Man
2010-07-07, 12:54 PM
For the life of me, I can't find the rules for not sleeping. Does anyone have a citation?

Anywho, the Tireless feat (Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 46) would probably solve your problem. Effects and conditions which make you Fatigued are negated. Effects which make you Exhausted instead make you Fatigued, and you cannot become Exhausted.

I know that not eating and drinking also causes non-lethal damage, but that's easily solved with low level magic.

Blue Paladin
2010-07-07, 04:53 PM
You're hosed. All ways to avoid hunger involve either magic/psionics or templates.The Tattooed Monk PrC is neither magic/psionic nor a template.

It is, however, a monk.

Darrin
2010-07-07, 08:19 PM
The Tattooed Monk PrC is neither magic/psionic nor a template.

All of the tattoos are Su or Sp. So yeah, the tattooed monk is magic.

Hmm. I think there might be an elemental graft that might work... grafts are explicitly not magic items. Breath of the Waves or something? Or one of the plant grafts?

Wings of Peace
2010-07-07, 08:29 PM
Play a Warforged named Tetujin.

Blackfang108
2010-07-07, 08:32 PM
You're hosed. All ways to avoid hunger involve either magic/psionics or templates.

Urban Soul from Races of Destiny.

No need to eat/drink/sleep so long as you're in a city. Being outside of a city carries massive penalties.

I'm not sure if you need one or two levels in the PrC, though.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-07, 08:47 PM
There is the fremin hydration suit from "its hot outside".

Page 101 of sandstorm.

Neven need to drink again. No magic, 1000gp.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-08, 02:39 AM
There is the Breath of the Waves elemental graft in Magic of Eberron (page 130) that makes it so you never need to drink and become immune to dehydration and dehydration effects including horrid wilting and (I'd assume immunity to all dessication damage)

...and it gives you the ability to breathe on a living creature (or yourself) as a standard action once per hour to remove a bunch of negative status conditions.

WeeFreeMen
2010-07-09, 01:14 AM
For the life of me, I can't find the rules for not sleeping. Does anyone have a citation?

Anywho, the Tireless feat (Player’s Guide to Faerun pg 46) would probably solve your problem. Effects and conditions which make you Fatigued are negated. Effects which make you Exhausted instead make you Fatigued, and you cannot become Exhausted.

I know that not eating and drinking also causes non-lethal damage, but that's easily solved with low level magic.

the non-lethal damage, would my Fast-healing 3 power through it?

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 01:16 AM
Damage from thisrt/starvation can't be magically healed (unless the magic creates food/drink of course.)

Snake-Aes
2010-07-09, 04:32 AM
Well, Tomb-Tainted soul + tombborn vitality does exactly what he asked...But he'll look really ugly.

true_shinken
2010-07-09, 07:40 AM

That's because those rules don't exist.

Person_Man
2010-07-09, 08:22 AM
That's because those rules don't exist.

Well then, that would be why I can't find it. So essentially, no one in the game world needs to sleep unless they need to replenish spells, because there is no down side to not sleeping? Brilliant. Did they even bother to fix that in 4E, or does it fall under the "you don't need to worry about anything outside of combat" mentality?

true_shinken
2010-07-09, 08:23 AM
Well then, that would be why I can't find it. So essentially, no one in the game world needs to sleep unless they need to replenish spells, because there is no down side to not sleeping? Brilliant. Did they even bother to fix that in 4E, or does it fall under the "you don't need to worry about anything outside of combat" mentality?
There is even a OotS comic about this.

Arbitrarious
2010-07-09, 08:25 AM
Play a Warforged named Tetujin.

Could you kindly give me the name of the webcomic that was from? I remember reading and foolishly lost the link at some point.

Also I believe forced march details what happens when you push yourself to far without rest.

From the SRD

Forced March
In a day of normal walking, a character walks for 8 hours. The rest of the daylight time is spent making and breaking camp, resting, and eating.

A character can walk for more than 8 hours in a day by making a forced march. For each hour of marching beyond 8 hours, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra hour) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from a forced march becomes fatigued. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue. It’s possible for a character to march into unconsciousness by pushing himself too hard.

Sleeping in Armor
A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He or she takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can’t charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue.

Quietus
2010-07-09, 08:48 AM
Note, however, that if you sit on your duff for the other 16 hours, you don't need to SLEEP. You just have to stop walking places.

Arbitrarious
2010-07-09, 09:33 AM
True, real sleep isn't actually needed. But it was something akin to what he wanted to know.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-09, 09:34 AM
Could you kindly give me the name of the webcomic that was from? I remember reading and foolishly lost the link at some point.
If you mean Tetsujin then I believe you are talking about Another Gaming Comic (http://agc.deskslave.org/).

Optimystik
2010-07-09, 09:39 AM
There is even a OotS comic about this.

For reference (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0224.html)