PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Chaos Beast Transformations

Livingdead
2010-07-07, 10:34 AM
Greetings,
Me and my buddy recently had an incursion with some chaos beasts and our poor npc got melted into one of them. I was wondering what other people's take on the wording of it was. We took the wording on the chaos beast in the Monster manual to mean that the curing spells listed would work for the corporeal instability but not for when they had become a fully fledged Chaos beast.

Do you think this was a correct analysis of it? And if so, is there any way to cure a full fledged chaos beast. We really liked that poor npc. Although, we're not sure how long we can keep it contained in an inn room. :smalleek:

hamishspence
2010-07-07, 10:55 AM
Wish or Miracle sounds about right.

tyckspoon
2010-07-07, 11:01 AM
No method is given by RAW. Wish and Miracle are general-purpose fixit buttons, and if you're willing to go to the expense of acquiring one I would certainly allow them to fix the damage caused by a lowly CR 7 creature, but it's up to your DM. Short of that, I would propose a method something like this:
Kill the Chaos Beast. Hit its corpse with one of the spells noted to fix a victim's form under Corporeal Instability (this would be an exception to normal targeting rules, so it's ok that Stoneskin doesn't work on objects.) Polymorph/Polymorph Any Object the chaos-beast corpse back to its original human shape. Now Raise/Ressurect/Reincarnate the NPC as normal. Break Enchantment could also be involved, possibly as an alternative to having to kill the Beast first; maybe it will give the victim back enough of his mind for him to hold his form consistent while you attempt a Polymorph-based fix that will remove the Beast's shapechanging abilities.

Livingdead
2010-07-07, 11:07 AM
mmm interesting I will have to ask the DM about it. Also i was wondering if you buffed or restored the wisdom of a chaos beast would it regain its mind or at that point is it too late?

jiriku
2010-07-07, 11:10 AM
Generally, once you're gone, you don't come back. You could always go the plot device route and pray at the temple of your deity for some sign that would lead you to someone capable of restoring your buddy. DMs often can't resist deus ex machina when you throw them a plot hook like that.