PDA

View Full Version : I look at myself...

Moonshadow
2010-07-07, 11:27 AM
and think that, if I were someone else, even I would not want to be friends with me.

I feel like a terribly boring person. I don't do anything interesting at all. The only things of any worth that I could concievably talk about are a limited selection of fantasy novels and video games. And they aren't worth very much at all.

In a world of color, I am monocromatic. I feel less vibrant and important than everyone else. I feel like the shadow in the world of bright places

I'm lonely. None of my old friends talk to me anymore. No one talks to me except my girlfriend, unless I actively make the effort. And sometimes, I just want to feel like I'm worth someone making the effort for =(

I'm sorry. It's 2 am and I feel like crap, and I don't have a diary or anything I can share my inner most crap with, so I suppose this will have to do.

Lillith
2010-07-07, 11:37 AM
Hmmm, you might want to look up the people in the Depression thread, they usually handle in those kinds of things. The only thing I can give you is some advice. If you feel like you're a boring person, then start trying new things. Could be something simple like taking art classes, jog every day or something extreme like scuba diving or martial arts.

Join a group activity where you connect with others and perhaps you'll get new friends or at least have other people to talk to.

Aedilred
2010-07-07, 11:50 AM
Being boring has very little to do with what interests you have or activities you do. I've met many people who undertake the most interesting activities are in themselves very boring. I suspect this is in part because the "interesting" activities that they undertake leave them little time for the real life experiences and thoughtful passages of time that lead to really interesting conversations. If you find that you're bored (which is not the same thing as boring) then by all means take up a new hobby or interest, but don't do it for the sake of trying to make yourself more interesting- it'll probably have the opposite effect, in fact.

You have a girlfriend- that's evidence that you're not as boring as you think you are. Perhaps you just need to make more of an effort to go out and see your friends. If you take the attitude that no-one will ever want to see you so you won't bother them, eventually they'll stop calling you on the presumption you're busy.

Xzeno
2010-07-07, 11:58 AM
Ah, good ol' 2 AM depression. I know the feeling.

I have two primary suggestions:

1. Find a hobby you want to do for its own sake. Not just to make your life more interesting, because you enjoy it and/or want to do it. You could take up drawing. The requires a lot of time and effort, but it's a cool party trick. Maybe pick up an instrument. If you practice for 30 minutes a day for one year, you will be far better than most. Maybe try break dance. With practice, I'm sure you'd make a good b-boy.

But whatever you do (even if it's nothing) do it because you want to.

2. Get out more. Socialize with people. Make new friends.

That's the best advice I can give. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Cubey
2010-07-07, 12:05 PM
So, all your interests are geeky hobbies, and that doesn't sound terribly interesting for you?

You're wrong. Geeky and hermetic hobbies, even ones that I have no interest in, are still way more interesting for me than your usual run of the mill person who has little interest except for partying/scoring and watching sports on TV (for guys) or shallow mainstream fashion (for girls).

You have a Persona 4 avatar/username. You know how many fun things you can tell others only about that game alone? A lot, let me tell you that. If people around you seem colorful and energetic, it isn't because their lives are full of exciting events and wonder. If I switched my life with an average person as I portray them, it'd be so boring I'd vomit. But hey, their lives, their hobbies. And they enjoy it rather than being down because others have more "exciting" lives. They don't. It's just an illusion.

EDIT:

Or, a tl;dr version:

I feel like a terribly boring person. I don't do anything interesting at all. The only things of any worth that I could concievably talk about are a limited selection of fantasy novels and video games. And they aren't worth very much at all.

http://armchairmogul.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

There are no boring hobbies or activities, only what you make of them.

Coidzor
2010-07-07, 12:31 PM
Welp, only one way to get interesting stories. Do something really stupid, the stupidest you can think of. Then report back about it and how you feel about yourself afterward.

Kiren
2010-07-07, 12:51 PM
Video games and Fantasy novels you read are a topic worthy of discussion, my day includes video games for a substantially large portion.

If you want an activity that's good for building friends and teamwork, try paintball. Its fun, their is plenty to talk about and alot of people play it, I would suggest Woodsballs. Airsofts good too!

Since you like fantasy novels, maybe try LARP, I have never went before but it looks fun.

They are all good for meeting people, and remember the forums are here too.

BritishBill
2010-07-07, 07:36 PM
and think that, if I were someone else, even I would not want to be friends with me.

In a world of color, I am monocromatic. I feel less vibrant and important than everyone else. I feel like the shadow in the world of bright places

I'm lonely. None of my old friends talk to me anymore. No one talks to me except my girlfriend, unless I actively make the effort. And sometimes, I just want to feel like I'm worth someone making the effort for =(

I'm sorry. It's 2 am and I feel like crap, and I don't have a diary or anything I can share my inner most crap with, so I suppose this will have to do.
He man its alright. Life gets you down but you have to get back up and keep up the good fight. Your not alone out their and you need to remember that.

thubby
2010-07-07, 07:57 PM
so... you're bored with your current self? :smallconfused:

do something new! if you can't think of something you'd want to get into, pick something you just wouldn't normally do.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 08:04 PM
Join a gym. Let Hanz and Franz PUMP YOU UP! Working out releases endorphines and other natural neuro-stimulants that make you feel amazing. Some people even describe it as addicting. It might not be easy to get started, but when you get good at it, it feels amazing!

RandomNPC
2010-07-07, 08:05 PM
if you read books you can meet people with common intrests at the library.
if you play games, try the game store.

I do some foam weapon combat, and when I mentioned the discworld series to one of the fighters his eyes lit up and it turns out we're both big into prattchets writing, and now he's got my Dr. Horrible dvd, he watches it almost religously every day, his wife and kid sit there and sing along, and it's all my fault.

you make good friends in the weirdest places.

Cealocanth
2010-07-07, 09:39 PM

(Response to the first sentence) Join the club. Although not because I'm terribly boring, but because people tend to get fed up with me when I have an anger outburst for the first time. I have a couple friends, and they are probable the most calm, accepting, and forgiving people on Earth.

(Response to the last sentence) That's so poetic. Even though you are describing your empty place in a world of color, the beuty of that sentence shines with a full spectrum.

[Edit: If you're looking for a friendly community to share geeky hobbies and maybe even pick up a few new ones, either join a LARP or a historical re-enactment group. The LARP group I run right now is IFGS. The games we play can give you stories for the rest for your life. The anachronistic society I'm in is the SCA. It not only puts you into a worldwide community, you can learn a whole host of new hobbies.]

Dr.Epic
2010-07-07, 10:18 PM
"Adventure; excitement; a Jedi craves not these things."

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

It doesn't matter if you're an exciting person. What matters is that you're is that you're a good person that's willing to help people and listen to others. That's what being a friend is about.

druid91
2010-07-07, 11:04 PM
My question to you is, are you really boring? or... are you bored? The second can seem like the first if you don't find something fresh to do.

xPANCAKEx
2010-07-07, 11:25 PM
make something of your life then - do something that you can potentially share with other people and that involves getting out of the house

find a new hobby, delve into a new interest, take up a new persuit

get involved in sport - its summer! ENJOY THE OUTDOORS!

organise something for you and your friends to do together

IonDragon
2010-07-08, 12:05 AM
Light a fire under your butt and do something, anything to expose you to MORE. I don't know how old you are, but that's not really all that important the gist is the same. You only live once, and you'll never regret the stupid $h!7 you did anywhere near as much as the things you never tried. I've broken my right arm, my left arm, my right hand, my right leg just under the knee and gotten a couple concussions. Each break ruined the rest of the summer, but I had fun while it lasted.

I go through periods like that, then I come back with a vengeance. I spent 6 moths unemployed, barely leaving my apartment, living on government money playing WoW all day. Now, I go dirtbiking or paintballing at least once usually 2-3 times/month. I've got a new job, and spend at least 3 nights a week doing something with friends. With a little luck I'll be able to do something about this ~70 extra lbs. by next year (realistically, more like 30 of it by next year).

Here's what I have to remember: People NEVER think the way I imagine their thoughts when I'm down. They simply aren't thinking about me and if I want something to happen for me I have to make it happen. And it's not really that hard, because a lot of my friends are the exact same way I am. I mean if I call somebody they're usually just chilling at home anyway, and if they're going out just ask if there's room for one more.

2010-07-08, 12:26 AM

okay criticism first: then go do something awesome. take up alligator fighting or become an astronaut, maybe build a car out of duct tape and spaghetti-o's; do something wierd and exciting.

anti-criticism:
black and white are awesome colors, especially when used together.
loners are generally regarded as cool for some reason.

Lord Loss
2010-07-09, 07:02 AM
So here's what you're goanna do. You're gonna walk to the local gaming store. You'll find some people playing a TCG, or RPG, or anything really that strikes your fancy. Then you'll ask if they can explain the rules to you. Then you'll start showing up at friday night magic with your god-awful, fresh out of the box starter deck, or new character, or whatever. Then you'll interact with people with common interests!!!

Alternatively, sign up for an activity, such as Kayaking (I met two very good friends of mine doing this), Tennis (Again, I've mad friends doing this), A martial art, a reading club, a gaming club, whatever. Somewhere that lets you interact with people. Then listen to them. Talk about what you like, what they like, real world events, whatever. Just don't be shy!

Devils_Advocate
2010-07-11, 02:28 AM
if I were someone else, even I would not want to be friends with me.
If you weren't yourself, eh? As counterfactuals go, that goes past "If Michelangelo had been identical twins, he could have painted the Sistine Chapel in half the time" and perhaps even beyond "A baker's dozen could be divided into multiple equal groups of a whole number of units, if only thirteen were not a prime number".

Which is a bit tangential, except in that if you want to do something interesting, you could certainly do worse than reading Gödel, Escher, Bach.

Hey, there are loads of pathetic losers out there. I know that I'm not doing anything worthwhile with my life. I keep telling myself that I should try to make some sort of positive lasting impact on the world... but, man, that would take so much effort, y'know? I think that this sort of combination of theoretical ambition and complacency in practice is almost certainly very common. Not that I find this to be an encouraging thought.

Anyway, fantasy novels and video games can be interesting, and discussions about them can be interesting. You could try starting some threads on the ones you're familiar with in the Media Discussions and Gaming (Other) fora.

No one talks to me except my girlfriend, unless I actively make the effort. And sometimes, I just want to feel like I'm worth someone making the effort for =(
Why? If you don't mind my asking.

Hey, look, I'm taking an interest in you.

I'm sorry.
What, for using a message board for its intended purpose?