PDA

View Full Version : 40K Space marines in Cyberpunk?

GodEnigma
2010-07-07, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure this is a good spot for this but it is mostly a role-playing issue and I figure this might work.

I have recently taken ownership of setting so to speak, a setting modeled highly of blade runner and shadowrun and thus it is decisively cyberpunk in theme and intent. No real issue there.

However there is a group of players who were told by previous administration that playing a 40K chapter of space marines was perfectly acceptable. This admin has since parted ways with us and we now have a group that catching heat for what an admin told them before was ok.

The issue is while I feel space marines in the 40k setting do not fit with the cyberpunk themes of shadowrun I am hesitant to punish players for only doing what they were told at one point was ok.

Which brings me to my question can 40K space marines exist in a cyberpunk setting like shadowrun?

A couple of additional notes these are not typical burn the heretic marines so much... and have more liberal views with most xeno races. thus won't be fragging every orc and troll in sight, and they refuse to loose the armor understandable I suppose but sorta defeats the dark gritty feeling of cyberpunk.

Prodan
2010-07-07, 01:11 PM
It's possible for one of the many worlds in the Imperium to have a cyberpunk setting.

boj0
2010-07-07, 01:15 PM
sorta defeats the dark gritty feeling of cyberpunk.

If anything Warhammer 40k will increase the amount of dark/grittiness ten fold.
Pick up Arsenal, and look through the high-tech power armor they have in there; combined with certain modifications and bio/cyberware; you can easily create something close to a Space Marine. (Also, they would probably be Trolls to begin with, since SMs are genetically modified humans anyway).

GodEnigma
2010-07-07, 02:05 PM
That is true I suppose and was worded badly. I think the problem is more that a group of high powered super solders could really tip the scales of balance in the setting depending how they side.

I personally would like to keep them around but I need a good way to sell the idea to a few of my other admins that this won't terribly un-shift the balance of things.

Aroka
2010-07-07, 02:22 PM
You're boned. Work out a way to phase out those characters, and change the rules. If players don't like it, they'll leave, but that's the price you pay for not allowing ridiculously stupid junk like that.

(FWIW, though, cyberpunk settings tend to feature a lot of super-soldiers with reinforced bones, implanted or artificially enlargened muscles, subdermal or dermal armor, and cybernetic and biotechnological weapons in their bodies. The real problem would be what these space marines are actually explained/passed off as. A bunch of Emperor-worshipping space-soldiers isn't exactly going to work.)

Ormagoden
2010-07-07, 02:26 PM
Nitpick: Shadowrun has magic. Cyberpunk does not.

Does your setting have magic? If so most character or creatures with low essence like street samurai and space marines are highly susceptible to magical attacks.

GodEnigma
2010-07-07, 02:40 PM
Magic does make a difference you are correct and the setting does feature some.. though it's mostly in the hands of a few more powerful beings. Demon crimelords and such.

Ormagoden
2010-07-07, 02:44 PM
I see could you give us all a little more information on the setting? We might be able to help out more knowing a bit more about it.

Redrat2k6
2010-07-07, 02:52 PM
40k is perfectly fine in cyber punk.

As long as you have control over what being a space marine entails you should be ok.

Just make it clear that the players will get to see how it feels to be a powerful space marine, but that they will not be invincible.

Also create some sort of back story on why this chapter is more friendly to Xenos races. Each chapter has its own theme, theirs could be being a bit more sympathetic to the Xenos while at the same time having Xenos killing be their specialty if things get out of line.

They could work closely with the Inquisition and Ordo Xenos.

Also Space marines are kinda used to magic, if you are using magic = Psionics rules. Rogue Alpha Psykers are more than a simple problem.

Starfols
2010-07-07, 03:09 PM
I don't think having space marines would mess up the gameplay that much. As long as they stay at the level of the rest of the party, they'll be a tank/shooty guy, not much different from a street samurai. Of course, a level 1 space marine is substantially less powerful than in fluff, but game balance > fluff in this case.

GodEnigma
2010-07-07, 04:15 PM
original setting is a mix mash of older sci-fi goodies, blade runner, Robocop, etc... nothing terribly original but that’s another issue I’m working but I think done right mixing a little 40k done right could be a good thing.

We have a big Mega Corp along the lines of OCP that recently was taken over but that's not common player know how yet. They're considered the major problem in the setting like most mega corps. They deal in all sorts of projects to make life better while doing some even nastier deals under the table for fun and profit. Currently no one is running it but there is a rogue scientist gone mad with delussions of megolamania still lurking about churning out some down right nasty bioweapons playing at god and such.

The rest of the setting is your standard cyberpunk affair with dark cities and bright neon signs, taken heavily from blade runner. Race include orcs, elves, humans, and the more standard fantasy fare as well as a few vampires, angels, and demons.

The major factions at play currently are OGS (aka mega corp.) the Messiah Mercy shadowrun org masquerading as priests, and caretakers of the flock. Headed by a fallen angel turned zealot to purge the city legal or not.

Then you have two major criminal syndicates one distinctly Asian themed along the lines of Yakuza and triad. Specailizing more in contract killings, drugs, and extortion by force. Headed by Mr. Lin a shrewd powerful Orc who's more or less a high ranking phys ad/mage.

The other is a collection along the line of cyber ravers, Goths, and various deadbeats they deal alot more in weapons trafficing, slaves, and some other very questionable products, this is overseen by the demoness Katrina Deshade, who is a potent mage specialized in blood magics.

The police force was OGS funded (not anymore so much but subject to change with the takeover.) They're an honest enough bunch best described as a slightly more level headed lone star I suppose. The chief currently is the sister to the one running the church which makes for an ammusing conflict of oppinons on what's right and wrong.

Tech itself runs the range of more or less anything you could find in shadowrun or cyberpunk power level wise so that's not my major hold up.

Magic itself is your traditional book learned wizards and scholars but there are psionics to a lesser degree. There are only a few say 3 wizards in the city that could even rival a chapter Liberian in relative power. and a smattering of various magic weapons lay about in various peoples collections.

Currently the crime factions are having at each other over the usual turf and profit. The Cops are kept busy with this and it balances nicely. The Messiah Mercy are out the loop for now at least till bigger things start happening again.

The problem with the marines is they wish to maintain their chapter thus an entire faction unaligned to anyone... this would not be a big problem I suppose but should they get out of hand currently there aren't many who could do anything to stop them. And if they do align then it could really tip things a way I'm not sure too many other people would be happy with.

I can add more details to this if needed but that really hits the high points as they stand.

Earthwalker
2010-07-07, 04:24 PM
My memory isnt what it was..... (I think it used to be my hearing but I don't remember)

but I think there was a game living steal ? About power armor using heroes trying to fight against some very powerful bad guy aliens.

Now the suggestion in there was for less power type stories have the player also play the role of the power armour users support team.

Of course you can also make the power armour illegal in some cities and give away other toys for them to play with when running city operations.

After all you can use the power armour for threats that needs it and shift to gritty street levels at other times.

Just a suggestion.