PDA

View Full Version : Local gaming groups

ShakeHandsMan
2010-07-07, 01:55 PM
Hows does one go about finding a local gaming group? Most of my normal group has fallen apart due to either schedule conflicts or various other reasons.

I've tried the local game shop with mixed results, the only groups meeting there are 4e groups, which isn't that terrible in and of itself (I'm looking for a PF/3.5/SWS group), but the fact that the majority seem to be made of 13-year old narutards and 30-year man-children running games comprised of said narutards really kills that option.

So in desperation i turn to the playground for suggestions to overcome my predicament. At this point I'm open to nearly anything legal. I've been needing a good shot of DnD for quite some time.

Lord Vampyre
2010-07-07, 02:33 PM
Last time I needed a gaming fix, I joined the Camarilla. It's live action, and not DnD. What found was that a good number of the people in the Camarilla also did different forms of table top games. These were usually D&D games.

It really depends on how open you are to other gaming systems. You may have to make do with a different system, until you find a group willing to play 3.5.

Person_Man
2010-07-07, 02:42 PM
There's the Finding Players forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51).

I don't know where you live, but I'm assuming that there is more then one comic store, game store, Games Workshop store, or something similar. Keep searching till you find a group you like. If that doesn't work, you could just go to a local gaming convention and make more friends there.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 02:57 PM
I've had some success with Yahoo groups too. I live in Seattle, and there is a Yahoo group called "Seattle Gamers Assemble". It serves as a message board for people to post "LFG" and "LFM" and "BTW, Convention this weekend" type announcements.

Might be worthwhile searching around for.

Bagelz
2010-07-07, 03:29 PM
also try the WotC looking for group forums
penandpapergames.com
or meetup.com or search for yahoogroups or googlegroups.

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-07, 03:58 PM
nearbygamers.com found me my group. Totally worthwhile.

Ormagoden
2010-07-07, 04:07 PM
Let me say a few things and make some suggestions...

There are a few places you can go or look to find some gamers.

1) Local comic and or game shops. They might have a schedule of events in the store. Check to see if they run a table top game you're interested in. If they don't maybe you can put up a flyer to check for interest.

2) Game clubs at your local college or university. Gaming clubs usually pop up at these locations. Look around the cafeteria or college center for people playing Magic the gathering or Pokemon, they'll be the most likely to know what you're talking about and to point you in the right direction.

3) Game clubs at your local libraries. Belive it or not some of those old dudes that play chess on fridays like to slay the odd dragon every now and again. Check if your library has gamers!

4) The interwebs There are a ton of gamer groups on forums just like this all over the webs! Wizards.com has official Dnd boards you can join and look for local gamers on. So does Paizo and most other game publishers.
(DISCLAIMER: Giving away personal information like your address or last name is NOT ADVISED! If you meet someone on the web and want to meet that someone in real life BRING SOMEONE ELSE WITH YOU even if you are an adult. Meet somewhere public like the local comic shop!)

I really don't think calling the kids at your local comic shop "narutards" is going to win you any friends. Some people like Naruto, some people like Luke Skywalker who are we to judge.

I've had fun (and failure at having fun) with people of all ages while gaming; give people a chance! :smallwink:

arrowhen
2010-07-08, 11:25 AM
I really don't think calling the kids at your local comic shop "narutards" is going to win you any friends. Some people like Naruto, some people like Luke Skywalker who are we to judge.

Or calling the 30 year olds "man-children", for that matter.

valadil
2010-07-08, 12:17 PM
I'm finding Living Forgotten Realms is pretty good for finding players. It's nice because you can get a different group every time. If you end up with a man child who only leaves his house for monday night LFR, you don't have to play with him again. But singling out the worthwhile people is pretty easy.

One option that people seem to overlook is colleges. They often having gaming clubs. They're usually friendly to people who are not students there. If there are any nearby colleges, give them a try. (disclaimer: I'm from Boston, the land where colleges are more plentiful than Starbucks. I may be slightly based in favor of this option because it's pretty damn easy where I live.)

Private-Prinny
2010-07-08, 01:26 PM
(disclaimer: I'm from Boston, the land where colleges are more plentiful than Starbucks. I may be slightly based in favor of this option because it's pretty damn easy where I live.)

You're damn right it is. Between colleges all over the place, several comic stores, and some annual one-shots at a convention center, Boston is a great place for gamers.

On that note, pretty much all of the good suggestions have been made already, especially in Ormagoden's neat, coherent post.

AtwasAwamps
2010-07-08, 01:33 PM
You're damn right it is. Between colleges all over the place, several comic stores, and some annual one-shots at a convention center, Boston is a great place for gamers.

That's nice to hear, as I may be moving there. Hooray!

ShakeHandsMan
2010-07-13, 09:55 AM
Most appreciated everyone, I'll be sure to try out some of your excellent suggestions this weekend.
Thanks again.

Tyger
2010-07-13, 10:22 AM
Or calling the 30 year olds "man-children", for that matter.

But we all know exactly who and what the OP meant there, don't we? :smallbiggrin:

I agree, it can be one heck of a challege to find a group that has the same gaming interests as you who also are compatible with your lifestyle and playstyle. Unfortunately, this seems to get more and more challenging as you get older / more family / more career oriented.

Check out meetup.com as well. We had some small success with posting "Local gaming group seeking mature members" on kijiji.ca as well as putting up a sign in the local gaming store. Heck that sign is how I met up with my current group, and we're having a blast!

aeauseth
2010-07-13, 10:25 AM
I just found a DnD group by looking at a posting on Craig's List.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-13, 01:21 PM
Gaming stores?