PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Swordwight [3.5 Template, PEACH]

Karsh
2010-07-07, 02:22 PM
I'm making a template for a player in my group. His character was zombified early in the campaign, gaining a number of reasonably useful abilities like damage reduction and a boost to strength.

Recently in the campaign, he used the Sword of Kas to kill an avatar of Tiamat. This deserves something drastic.

Here's a first pass at what I have put together, I'd appreciate feedback. The player requested that the template be an LA +0 template, so I'm trying to have drawbacks which are sufficiently nasty to balance out the benefits.

For reference, the base character already has the undead type, DR 5/bludgeoning, and I think Turn Resistance +2. He's also a goliath monk built around grappling things to death.

Tainted Swordwight Template

Tainted by the power of the Sword of Kas and corrupted with the power of Tiamat, your curse has blossomed into its second stage. You can no longer hide your nature, as a pestilent wound opened itself up in the center of your chest, obliterating your heart. It pulses with a malevolent red glow in time with what would be your heartbeat. The wound itself is shaped as though a greatsword had been plunged into your chest. The light burns through any coverings you might try to place over it, and even illusions cannot conceal your disfiguration.

Hit Dice: Remain as d12s.

Special attacks:

Siphon Strength (Su) - A creature struck by your melee attack takes 1 point of strength drain in addition to normal melee damage. Every three points of strength drained in this manner gives you a cumulative +1 profane bonus to strength for 1 minute as you siphon the strength of your foes. This ability affects undead, but not other creatures immune to ability drain.

Special Qualities:

Tainted Toughness (Ex) – Carrying the Sword of Kas has fortified you with resilience above that of a normal zombie. Your DR improves to 7/adamantine and you gain 1 additional HP per character level.

Unholy Energy (Ex) – Negative energy courses through your veins like blood. Positive energy spells, negative energy spells, and spells which specifically damage undead are empowered when cast on you. You take a -2 on saves against spells that specifically affect undead but do not deal damage. Furthermore, your turn resistance increases by +2, but you lose the benefit of your turn resistance against Turn Undead attempts.

Berserk (Ex) – The Sword of Kas may no longer hold direct sway over your actions, but you are more bloodthirsty than ever, having tasted the glory of annihilating the avatar of a god. Every round you are in combat, there is a chance that you go berserk and begin attacking the nearest living creature or destroy the nearest object before moving on to the next nearest. This chance is equal to your profane strength bonus from siphon strength plus 3% for every round of combat you have been in. A party member can attempt to calm you with a DC 20 Charisma check. You must be inactive and out of combat for 1 full minute to reset your berserk chance to 0.

Sword Wound (Su) – The sword wound over your heart glows with a malevolent light that cannot be concealed. Any attempt to conceal the sword wound automatically fails, including illusions such as Disguise Self, Minor Image, and Invisibility. Similarly, polymorph spells cannot conceal the wound. Unlike most supernatural abilities, this ability continues to function even in an antimagic field.

Abilities: +2 STR, -2 WIS

Some of the power siphoned from the avatar of Tiamat has given your undead muscles even greater power, but at the cost of a shred of your sanity. At the back of your mind, you sometimes suspect that you can still hear the voice of Kas whispering insidious incantations in a dead language.

jiriku
2010-07-07, 03:53 PM
Right now it's at least +1 LA. With a little tinkering you can get it there, however.

The powers you've granted are flavorful and fun, so it's all good there. The abilities basically add up to +2 Strength, two free feats, a potent offensive ability, and situational access to a free empower.

The issue you've got is your drawbacks.

Your drawbacks are -2 Wis, vulnerability to positive energy, vulnerability to turning, a tendency to kill allies, and inability to take advantage of invisibility or disguises.

The -2 Wis is a pain for a monk, but for a template that's not monk-specific, it doesn't even offset the +2 Strength. Even considered with his specific character, as a goliath grappler, he's clearly positioned to take good advantage of the Strength bonus.

The vulnerability to positive energy and undead-specific spells is a solid weakness.

The vulnerability to turning is not. Essentially, this will only ever influence gameplay in one of three ways:
1. nothing happens.
2. the PC flees or cowers.
3. the PC dies.

Yuck. A good disadvantage should handicap you but allow you to fight on.

The berserk tendency is also bad. It endangers not only the PC, but also the entire party, and can lead to bad blood and infighting among players if he crit-kills an ally.

The sword wound is good.

I'd say if you drop the two yucky drawbacks and replace them with alternatives, you'll be set.

Karsh
2010-07-07, 03:58 PM
I'd like to tie one of the drawbacks to the strength bonus gained from draining strength to make him wish he could turn it off.

I guess what I need to do is look at some of the aberration based classes like the Alienist and see what sorts of madness-related mechanics go on there.

If you have any suggestions, they'd be appreciated.

Milskidasith
2010-07-07, 04:07 PM
I'm wondering: Why did you make his DR worse? DR/adamantine is something everybody and their mother (well, everybody that uses a weapon) can bypass, though that's dependant on your parties level, but DR/bludgeoning is always going to work against most weapons used by enemies. Maybe DR X/Bludgeoning and Adamantine, but the drawbacks need to be worse.

Karsh
2010-07-14, 09:28 AM
Here's what I came up with in the end.

Tainted Swordwight Template

Tainted by the power of the Sword of Kas and corrupted with the power of Tiamat, your curse has blossomed into its second stage. You can no longer hide your nature, as a pestilent wound opened itself up in the center of your chest, obliterating your heart. It pulses with a malevolent red glow in time with what would be your heartbeat. The wound itself is shaped as though a greatsword had been plunged into your chest. The light burns through any coverings you might try to place over it, and even illusions cannot conceal your disfiguration.

Hit Dice: Remain as d12s.

Special attacks:

Siphon Strength (Su) - A creature struck by your melee attack takes 1 point of strength drain in addition to normal melee damage. Every three points of strength drained in this manner gives you a cumulative +1 profane bonus to strength for 1 minute as you siphon the strength of your foes. This ability affects undead, but not other creatures immune to ability drain. You lose self-control as you absorb more power, however, and for every +2 to strength you gain from this ability, you take a -1 insanity penalty to Wisdom.

Special Qualities:

Mind Like an Open Book (Ex) – Having been influenced by the Sword of Kas, your mind is no longer a fortress against those that would manipulate it. You lose your immunity to mind-affecting effects and take a -2 penalty on saves against compulsions.

Negative Energy Dependence (Ex) - The unholy energy which infuses you with strength also limits you. You lose your ability to heal naturally and the healing from your wholeness of body class feature is reduced by 75%, relying almost solely on negative energy to repair your decaying body.

Sword Wound (Su) – The sword wound over your heart glows with a malevolent light that cannot be concealed. Any attempt to conceal the sword wound automatically fails, including illusions such as Disguise Self, Minor Image, and Invisibility. Similarly, polymorph spells cannot conceal the wound. Unlike most supernatural abilities, this ability continues to function even in an antimagic field.

Tainted Toughness (Ex) – Carrying the Sword of Kas has fortified you with resilience above that of a normal zombie. Your DR improves to 7/adamantine and slashing and you gain 1 additional HP per character level.

Unholy Energy (Su) – Negative energy courses through your veins like blood. Positive energy spells, negative energy spells, and spells which specifically damage undead are empowered when cast on you. You take a -2 on saves against spells that specifically affect undead but do not deal damage.

Abilities: +2 STR, -2 WIS

Some of the power siphoned from the avatar of Tiamat has given your undead muscles even greater power, but at the cost of a shred of your sanity. At the back of your mind, you sometimes suspect that you can still hear the voice of Kas whispering insidious incantations in a dead language.