PDA

View Full Version : M&M-Grappling hook, hookshot, etc.

Khaeta
2010-07-07, 02:46 PM
Alright, so I've been doing a fair amount of playing and just messing around with the M&M system lately, and I'm really liking it. One thing really irritates me, though; there's no reasonable way I can come up with to stat out a classic hookshot-type grappling hook (or similar).

It's not an uncommon thing among gadgety-type heroes in the comics the system tries to mimic; just a device that latches onto something and pulls you towards it. Has anyone come up with any good ways to do this?

Ormagoden
2010-07-07, 02:48 PM
Can't you make a custom gadget with a movement power like jumping?

The Big Dice
2010-07-07, 03:16 PM
I'd do a grappling hook as a gadget based Levitation effect. Maybe give it a Flaw like "Needs a ledge to hook on to" for the fluff. Possibly even a Recharge time, as it might need t be reset between uses.

RandomLunatic
2010-07-07, 04:12 PM
This looks liek a job for.... Super-Movement: Swinging! Purchase as either equipment or a device.

Sliver
2010-07-07, 04:17 PM
An Elongation device is the simplest and most fitting. Just give it as much ranks as you need per the distance.

Super Movement (Swinging) might also fit, depending on how quickly you can use the hook between shots...

Knaight
2010-07-07, 04:38 PM
I would use an easily removed device, with super movement (jumping), and the complication that it needs something to connect to. Done.

The Big Dice
2010-07-07, 04:47 PM
I would use an easily removed device, with super movement (jumping), and the complication that it needs something to connect to. Done.

Depends if you want it to be this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SrE10KrfiPI/AAAAAAAAKGA/RY03lWkvqvI/s400/wallpaper-batman-swinging.gif

Or if you want it to be more like this:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii113/evrythingsucks26/mallrats.jpg

Khaeta
2010-07-07, 05:54 PM
Super-movement (swinging) is really just lateral, more of a spider-man swing across town-type thing. Jump is certainly closer, but doesn't really account for a) the fact that there's a line, b) direct movement requiring line of effect (unlike jump, which is still like a normal jump except super-powered so it's got a trajectory) and c) the fact that if the hook misses/doesn't catch, it doesn't work.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-07, 06:00 PM
There is Super-Movement (wall-crawling), with the Flaw of Limited (Up Vertical Surfaces).

The Big Dice
2010-07-07, 08:19 PM
There is Super-Movement (wall-crawling), with the Flaw of Limited (Up Vertical Surfaces).

I still thin Levitate, a -1 reduction on the cost of Flight but liited to up and down ovement only works best. Put that on a gadget and you've got your grappling hook gun. Though the Costumed Adventurer archetype in the core book has Swinging 1 as his grapple gun.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-07, 08:25 PM
Though the Costumed Adventurer archetype in the core book has Swinging 1 as his grapple gun.

Because his grapple gun is the super kind Daredevil and Batman have, not the mundane kind Rorschach has.