PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more spell sources (3.x)

Rannil
2010-07-07, 03:11 PM
Heya everyone.

I am building a wizard for a campaign the DM sort off implied that I shouldn't buy items with my money, so I decided to go out of town and spend all my WBL on scrolls or copying spells from wizards. I know I wouldn't use most of them, but still, the idea counts.

Well I was spitting though the Crystal Keep and realized it misses a lot of obvious sources and probably more lesser know.
So I am looking for a list with all sourcebooks that have wizard spells in it, or just shout books and I will make my own list.

Thanks in advance.

Crystal Keeps Covers:
Player’s Handbook v.3.5
Dungeon Master’s Guide v.3.5
Monster Manual v.3.5
Monster Manual III
Complete Warrior
Complete Divine
Complete Arcane
Complete Adventurer
Races of Stone
Races of Destiny
Races of the Wild
Races of Eberron
Book of Exalted Deeds
Unearthed Arcana
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Magic of Faerûn
Lords of Darkness
Races of Faerûn
Silver Marches
Underdark
Player’s Guide to Faerûn
Eberron Campaign Setting

Other books:

Complete Mage
Book of Exalted Deed
Book of Vile Darkness
Dragon Magic
Fiendish codex I and II
Heroes of Horror
Player’s Handbook II
Spell Compendium
Races of the Dragon

Heroes of Battle
Lords of Madness
Libris Mortis
Draconomicon
Champions of Valor
Champions of Ruin
Magic of Eberron, Faiths of Eberron, and so on.
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Stormwrack,
Sandstorm,
Cityscape,
Dungeon scape,
Forstburn

Edit: Version list time
Added: Heroes of Horror, Fiendish codex I and II, BoVD/ED.
Stormwrack, Sandstorm, Cityscape, Dungeon scape, Forstburn
Heroes of Battle, Lords of Madness, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon, Champions of Valor, Champions of Ruin
Magic of Eberron, Faiths of Eberron, and so on.
Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Boci
2010-07-07, 03:17 PM
Heroes of Horror, Fiendish codex I and II, BoVD/ED.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 03:18 PM
Its Cold Outside
Its Wet Outside
Its Hot Outside
Its Not Outside (City and Dungeon)
Heroes of Battle
Heroes of Horror
Lords of Madness
Libris Mortis
Draconomnomnomnomnomomicon
Champions of Valor
Champions of Ruin (omg Necrotic Skullbomb!)

just to name a few.

hamishspence
2010-07-07, 03:19 PM
BoED was in his original list- but BoVD wasn't.

Other Eberron books- Magic of Eberron, Faiths of Eberron, and so on.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting possibly?

Caphi
2010-07-07, 03:20 PM
Spell Compendium.

Beyond that it's basically PHB2, Complete Mage, and some of the more peripheral peripherals like the Outsides.

Rannil
2010-07-07, 03:26 PM
Its Cold Outside
Its Wet Outside
Its Hot Outside
Its Not Outside (City and Dungeon)

Forstburn Stormwrack, Sandstorm, Cityscape snd Dungeonscape?

Spell Compendium.

Beyond that it's basically PHB2, Complete Mage, and some of the more peripheral peripherals like the Outsides.
Does Spell Compendium include all spells from the books that were released before it? Just wondering.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 03:32 PM
SpC doesn't have EVERYTHING, but it does have most of the ones in CArcane, CDivine, CAdv, CWarrior, and a couple of the older Forgotten Realms books.

Really, outside of a few select spells (which you can probably find by trolling forums), 99% of spells you'll need are in Complete Mage, PHBII, and SpC.

The common ones I see mentioned are:

Battlemagic Perception - Heroes of Battle
Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, Greater Mighty Wallop - Races of the Dragon
Necrotic Skullbomb - Champions of Ruin
Haboob - Sandstorm
Kelpstrand - Stormwrack
Divine Insight - Complete Divine (not reprinted...wonder why?...?)

Maybe a couple others, but not many. A couple of gems among the rocks. Contrast to SpC, where 2/3 of the spells are either good or great.

Rannil
2010-07-07, 03:42 PM
SpC doesn't have EVERYTHING, but it does have most of the ones in CArcane, CDivine, CAdv, CWarrior, and a couple of the older Forgotten Realms books.

Really, outside of a few select spells (which you can probably find by trolling forums), 99% of spells you'll need are in Complete Mage, PHBII, and SpC.

The common ones I see mentioned are:

Battlemagic Perception - Heroes of Battle
Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry, Greater Mighty Wallop - Races of the Dragon
Necrotic Skullbomb - Champions of Ruin
Haboob - Sandstorm
Kelpstrand - Stormwrack
Divine Insight - Complete Divine (not reprinted...wonder why?...?)

Maybe a couple others, but not many. A couple of gems among the rocks. Contrast to SpC, where 2/3 of the spells are either good or great.

Maybe I underestimated the Spell Compendium a bit. Shame on me. Still I think I could buy all the level 1 spells and have money left. I don't think there is a point, but hey, it is possible.

Also I am keeping an extra eye for those spells that never get used or a hidden away in books that barely get used.

jiriku
2010-07-07, 04:17 PM
Why stop at level 1 spells? You can copy spells of any level into your spellbook, provided you can manage the Spellcraft check to understand them. You don't need to be able to prepare the spell to write it into your book.

Rannil
2010-07-07, 04:24 PM
Why stop at level 1 spells? You can copy spells of any level into your spellbook, provided you can manage the Spellcraft check to understand them. You don't need to be able to prepare the spell to write it into your book.

Limited to money and the list is huge. Okay I got enough to buy 16 level 9 spells, I just can't use them. I no clue to calculate it efficiently, but I can buy up to 72 level 1 spells, or 60 level two spells, or 45 3th level. I wonder how much gold you need to learn all the spells in the spell Compendium.

dextercorvia
2010-07-07, 04:43 PM
Streamers is in one of the direction books, IIRC.

Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos are in a Fiendish Codex.

Defiant
2010-07-07, 04:49 PM
What exactly doesn't SpC have? And why did you say "most" of the ones in the complete series.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 05:06 PM
What exactly doesn't SpC have? And why did you say "most" of the ones in the complete series.

For starters, most of PHB2 - and there are real gems in there. (e.g. Hunter's Eye and Celerity)

Streamers is in one of the direction books, IIRC.

Correct: Shining South

Math_Mage
2010-07-07, 05:18 PM
Limited to money and the list is huge. Okay I got enough to buy 16 level 9 spells, I just can't use them. I no clue to calculate it efficiently, but I can buy up to 72 level 1 spells, or 60 level two spells, or 45 3th level. I wonder how much gold you need to learn all the spells in the spell Compendium.

Then why not buy, say, 24 level 1 spells, 20 level 2 spells, and 15 level 3 spells? Or 32 level 1 spells, 20 level 2 spells, and 10 level 3 spells? Something along those lines. You won't lack for spells at 1st level--32 spells plus inherent spells known should cover 99% of possibilities, no sweat--and you get a good head start on versatility right up through level 6. At which point you should have more than enough gold to supplement further scribing.

arguskos
2010-07-07, 05:18 PM
For starters, most of PHB2 - and there are real gems in there. (e.g. Hunter's Eye and Celerity)
You mean ANY of PHB2, right? SpC doesn't have anything from PHB2, unless that changed when I wasn't looking (possible).

Correct: Shining South
Which has some other good stuff actually. The Tentacle variants, Freezing Fog, a few other random spells.

If you feel like archery, Champions of Ruin has the super archer spells (like arrowsplit and other goodies).

Fiendish Codex 2 has the Investiture line, which is actually pretty good if you're Evil. CScoundrel and CChampion have some spells, though I don't recall anything amazing for a wizard in either. Lost Empires of Faerun and Serpent Kingdoms have some niche spells of utility (Ability Rip, stuff like that).

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 05:33 PM
You mean ANY of PHB2, right? SpC doesn't have anything from PHB2, unless that changed when I wasn't looking (possible).

I was too lazy to check if they had any spells in common, so I hedged my bet :smalltongue: Damned if you do...

arguskos
2010-07-07, 05:34 PM
I was too lazy to check if they had any spells in common, so I hedged my bet :smalltongue: Damned if you do...
PHB2 came after SpC. Good job there Opti. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2010-07-07, 05:34 PM
Why hunt and peck? Just use SpellGen (http://pigmentia.net/spellgen/).

Fiendish Codex 2 has the Investiture line, which is actually pretty good if you're Evil. CScoundrel and CChampion have some spells, though I don't recall anything amazing for a wizard in either. Lost Empires of Faerun and Serpent Kingdoms have some niche spells of utility (Ability Rip, stuff like that).

CScn has armor lock, winged watcher, stretch weapon, death mark, wand modulation, and siphon. The latter two, in particular, are pretty awesome: wand modulation fails to note that you have to actually know the spell you're altering your wand to be, so basically at the cost of a fourth third level slot your one wand can cast any third level or lower spell. Siphon lets you consume wand uses for renewed spell slots. Great for endurance.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 05:39 PM
PHB2 came after SpC. Good job there Opti. :smalltongue:

What does the order have to do with anything? Spell Compendium came after Complete Arcane, and they share spells.

And the "damned if you do" was a reference to the fact that, had I said they didn't share any spells and it turned out they did, someone would just as gleefully point that out as you did when I used "most" instead. But such is the internet. (I'm technically right, in any case.)

arguskos
2010-07-07, 05:40 PM
Nice! Thanks for that. As a mage player, I looooove you.

CScn has armor lock, winged watcher, stretch weapon, death mark, wand modulation, and siphon. The latter two, in particular, are pretty awesome: wand modulation fails to note that you have to actually know the spell you're altering your wand to be, so basically at the cost of a fourth third level slot your one wand can cast any third level or lower spell. Siphon lets you consume wand uses for renewed spell slots. Great for endurance.
I don't actually own a hardcopy of CScoundrel, so this is useful stuff. Thanks for it as well. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Opti, I was saying that SpC contains no spells that PHB2 introduced. There may be a few updates in PHB2 (though I believe there are not any), but I meant that PHB2 is a good source for new spells.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 06:03 PM

As I mentioned, Divine Insight wasn't reprinted from CDivine to SpC. I can't remember off the top of my head any others, but I do know that Improvisation was moved from Bard4 to Bard1 from CAdv to SpC. My DM won't let me have any SpC spells that aren't in a Complete Something, but is letting me use the SpC version of Improvisation since its NO WHERE NEAR being more useful than say...Haste, a 3rd level spell.

Freezing Fog from Shining South was reprinted in SpC, btw. Best 6th level spell EVAR.

PId6
2010-07-07, 06:15 PM
Order that I usually look for spells:

Spell Compendium
Core
PHBII
Complete Mage
Dragon Magic
Races of the Dragon

Beyond that, there's very few books that matter for spell purposes. There are some good ones in random books not reprinted in SpC scattered about the place, but overall, those are all I really need the vast majority of the times.

Rannil
2010-07-08, 12:15 AM

That link is awesome, thanks.