PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Hellbred scouring...

Marriclay
2010-07-07, 04:01 PM
I was taking another look through the Fiendish codex and noticed the Hellbred again, and thought, once more "I'd love to play as one of those." Well, I was working out the backstory for him, when I suddenly realized that there was one thing that the description of the scouring doesn't cover. First off, it doesn't describe whether the Hellbred simply pops back onto the material plane, or has to come through to it somehow (Such as being literally born again with his new body), or maybe even just having his now warped body healed and restored to life.

Has anybody else experienced this confusion? Which of the choices did they use?

Cog
2010-07-07, 04:10 PM
From the description given, it sounds like they never quite make it to one of the aligned planes in the first place - the scouring is the result of the fight over their souls by both forces more than an intentional process they endure. Given the vague nature of it, though, and how it occurs when somebody's at a tipping point, I think it's intentionally open. They needn't all be formed in the same way or in the same place.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 04:24 PM
It's pretty explicit that they all die (in their previous lives), repent at the last second and are brought back.

...Hellbred fall in the middle. They repent in the moment before their condemnation to Hell, yet too late to find salvation. The lords of good and justice, suspicious that the condemned soul merely seeks escape for selfish reasons, instead reincarnate the individual to give him one last chance at salvation.

Marriclay
2010-07-07, 04:27 PM
It's pretty explicit that they all die (in their previous lives), repent at the last second and are brought back.Yeah, but that's part of the fluff. You sometimes see the words used interchangeably among the books. And, that doesn't explain how he gets back, where, and what situation he's in once he's there

hamishspence
2010-07-07, 04:30 PM
Probably falls into "DM's discretion" though having them drop out of the sky, a bit like the resurrected Angel in Buffy, might be an option.

Optimystik
2010-07-07, 04:39 PM
I like to have them fall through a roaring inferno, land in an alley and get accosted by a fiendish clown. Then find out they've really been dead for years and their wife has shacked up with the elf down the street.

Kylarra
2010-07-07, 04:45 PM
I like to have them fall through a roaring inferno, land in an alley and get accosted by a fiendish clown. Then find out they've really been dead for years and their wife has shacked up with the elf down the street.I see what you did there.

Marriclay
2010-07-07, 04:48 PM
I like to have them fall through a roaring inferno, land in an alley and get accosted by a fiendish clown. Then find out they've really been dead for years and their wife has shacked up with the elf down the street.

Well it would certainly get my character to hate clowns. for the most part, though, I don't think I want to risk my M having read and watched spawn enough to get the reference.

It seems though, that it's left open. I guess that means that each Hellbred can be considered unique in the circumstances of their rebirth

CockroachTeaParty
2010-07-07, 11:25 PM
So is Spawn some kind of Hellbred warlock?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-08, 01:01 AM
Spawn was a hellbred who aquired the coolest magic item ever thought up. . . (the super cloak of awsome-I-can-do-anything)

Fax Celestis
2010-07-08, 09:23 AM
So is Spawn some kind of Hellbred warlock?

More of a Hellbred Swordsage, imo.

Marriclay
2010-07-08, 12:27 PM
More of a Hellbred Swordsage, imo.

Some kind of initiator anyways, either Swordsage or Warblade. With a cloak made of what is essentially demonic shapesand

UserClone
2010-07-08, 01:36 PM
I always thought of him as a Hellbred Warlock//Swordsage with EWP: Warcloak and EWP: Spiked Chain.

SilverClawShift
2010-07-08, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that totally works. One of our group did a "Spawn" character that was a Soulknife who manifested spiked chains around him instead of more mundane weapons.

It's the kind of thing that sounds awesome, until you remember you can't see it happening.

Hague
2010-07-08, 05:24 PM
Spawn is an Acolyte of the Skin with better powers or an Incarnum user with Fiendish grafts.