PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights can't find hard drive?

Dhavaer
2010-07-07, 04:26 PM
I just installed Neverwinter Nights again and I'm getting a strange error: when I try to start a module (not the original campaign, haven't tried that yet) and it brings up the option to create a new character or use a premade one choosing either option causes the game to say there was insufficient hard drive space to complete the operation, and it returns me to the main menu.
I have 180GB of free space, so that's not the problem. Google found a reference to the problem happening with Linux, but I'm using Windows 7. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't have the expansions installed, if that helps.

Brother Oni
2010-07-07, 06:09 PM
Tried running it in compatibility mode?

taltamir
2010-07-07, 06:23 PM
no need for compatibility mode with windows 7.

questions:
1. how many drives do you have?
2. what directory is it installed in? if you let it install into program files then most likely the app does not have PERMISSION to write those files into its own directory... NEVER install a game into program files. Install it to something like C:\Games\NWN
3. are you using v1.69?

Trixie
2010-07-07, 06:24 PM
I'd start with running it in admin mode first, or installing it outside of Program Files.

Zovc
2010-07-07, 06:25 PM
Do you have the game installed somewhere other than your C: drive?

taltamir
2010-07-07, 06:29 PM
Do you have the game installed somewhere other than your C: drive?

this would actually be an improvement, NWN2 saves stuff into your "my documents" folder.
NWN1 saves everything into its own directory (aka C:\program files\NWN\saves for savegames, and c:\program files\NWN\localvault for characters, etc)... so if it doesn't have permission to write to program files (not admin mode, UAC not disabled, etc)... that is a problem.
Easiest solution is not to install in program files.

Zovc
2010-07-07, 06:37 PM
I see. Well, I know I've had problems installing older games on drives other than C:.

Dhavaer
2010-07-08, 07:22 AM
It's installed in C:\NeverwinterNights, running in admin mode didn't help, it's now patched up to 1.69 and seems to be working in conjunction with admin mode, but the module is now requesting Shadows of Undrentide. Installing SoU last time corrupted my installation, so I'm zipping it and moving it elsewhere before I try again.