PDA

View Full Version : Reaping Mauler Question

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 06:36 PM
So I was looking at said Reaping Mauler and I have a question about the class abilities Sleeper Lock and Devastating Grapple. So after 1 round of grapple, my opponent makes a save vs falling unconscious for 1d3 rounds. If I maintain this grapple for two more rounds, does that initiate the Devastating Grapple and the opponent has to save or die? Does the opponent get penalized on this save for being unconscious?

Any insight and clarification is most welcome. Thanks Playgrounders!

gallagher
2010-07-07, 06:59 PM
So I was looking at said Reaping Mauler and I have a question about the class abilities Sleeper Lock and Devastating Grapple. So after 1 round of grapple, my opponent makes a save vs falling unconscious for 1d3 rounds. If I maintain this grapple for two more rounds, does that initiate the Devastating Grapple and the opponent has to save or die? Does the opponent get penalized on this save for being unconscious?

Any insight and clarification is most welcome. Thanks Playgrounders!i believe that it does initiate the devastating grapple (as that was the intent i think) but i do not know if they take a penalty to the save

9mm
2010-07-07, 07:02 PM

Any insight and clarification is most welcome. Thanks Playgrounders!

after pining your oppenent for a round save vs. unconsious, this happens every time you hold the pin for a round, every 3 adds an additonal save vs. die. there is no reall penelty because uncounsious=helpless so you just CDG the poor knuckle head

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 07:12 PM
So let me get this straight... Is the Devastating Grapple even needed? If I hold a grapple for ONE round, I can CDG my unconscious victim? If so, that makes the class basically 3 lvls instead of 5 (unless you really want to add 2 more to the Sleeper Lock DC)? I just snap the neck and toss em aside?

My basic idea was a Goliath or Half Giant Monk//Fighter/Reaping Mauler for a big brawny back-breaker.

gallagher
2010-07-07, 07:24 PM
So let me get this straight... Is the Devastating Grapple even needed? If I hold a grapple for ONE round, I can CDG my unconscious victim? If so, that makes the class basically 3 lvls instead of 5 (unless you really want to add 2 more to the Sleeper Lock DC)? I just snap the neck and toss em aside?

My basic idea was a Goliath or Half Giant Monk//Fighter/Reaping Mauler for a big brawny back-breaker.
dont go for more than monk 2 in that case, make a tashlatora monk with psywarrior and get expansion. you will be able to put yourself up 2 sizes. get link power and earth power, then focus on your combat.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 07:31 PM
Do note that Clever Wrestler, the prereq for Reaping Mauler, requires medium size or smaller. If you Expand to become large, you no longer qualify for Clever Wrestler, and the feat "turns off" similar to if you get Str damaged and can't Power Attack anymore. If the feat turns off, all other feats, classes, and abilities linked to it also turn off. That means you lose all of your Reaping Mauler class features.

Yea, its dumb, but thems the rules. Do with them as you please.

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 07:38 PM
Well Im aware of the whole expansion thing but that was never really the intent. Just a big strong looking (medium sized) guy who grabs people by the neck and snaps it when they have fallen unconscious.

Speaking of which, how does an action like breaking a neck/back work in game mechanics? I know I can do unarmed damage each round in a grapple, but if I want to CDG someone do I just make a normal attack and if it kills the target I say "well I snapped his neck"? Should I take the feat that makes CDG a standard action instead of a full round action? Could I instead use like a dagger and slit their throat? Can I use the dagger in the grapple instead of the unarmed strike?

IdleMuse
2010-07-07, 07:55 PM
Psywarrior does also give you access to Grip of Iron though, for pumping that grapple check. Add some Gloves of the Titans Grip and an Octopus Familiar and you're ready to go :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2010-07-07, 08:00 PM
Do note that Clever Wrestler, the prereq for Reaping Mauler, requires medium size or smaller. If you Expand to become large, you no longer qualify for Clever Wrestler, and the feat "turns off" similar to if you get Str damaged and can't Power Attack anymore. If the feat turns off, all other feats, classes, and abilities linked to it also turn off. That means you lose all of your Reaping Mauler class features.

Yeah, but this also enables Mountain Rage + War Hulk = The Incredible Hulk. I'd say it's a 50/50 good/bad.

Zaq
2010-07-07, 08:01 PM

I could swear that there's a PrC that gives Clever Wrestler as a bonus feat (thus without prereqs), but I'm not 100% certain which one. I want to say Leviathan Hunter from It's Wet Outside, but I may be mistaken. If you can find such a class, whatever it is, that would allow you to become big without losing Reaping Mauler features.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 08:07 PM
It is Leviathan Hunter.

And there are no mechanics for "snappin a fool's neck". Its purely fluff attached to a successful CDG maneuver. And I wouldn't bother with the feat that allows you to CDG as a standard, plus, IIRC, its a [Monstrous] feat anyway and might require you to be undead. Its in Libris Mortis: The Book of Bad Latin.

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 08:14 PM
Hmmm so maybe sticking in a few levels of rouge for the sneak attack damage would be worth while? Does Evasion still work while grappling?

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 08:32 PM
Evasion works while grappling, unless for some reason you yourself are helpless.

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 08:36 PM
Sweet. Thanks for all the advice Playgrounders!

9mm
2010-07-07, 08:40 PM

well, Techincly you don't even need any level of reaping mauler, OA has the chokehold feat, that does sleeperhold+. but devo-grapple has 2 advantage over CDG. 1 it has a better rate of retrurn, assuming medium that is (1d3+str to)x2+10 make the fort save, not exactly hard. Also you can maintain the grapple, as CDG is not an allowed grappling action.

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, I thought the OA sleeper hold was part of the martial arts... (something I would rather not touch...)

So I guess bottom line question is, is it worth it to take Reaping Mauler all the way to lvl 5? Is it worth it at all? I guess I'll have to break out my OA and see...

Edit: Choke Hold from OA is exactly the same thing as the sleeper hold but better since the DC is 10+1/2 level+WIS instead of 10+Reaping Mauler lvl (max 5)+WIS. And its only a feat that I could get at lvl 1 with a human Monk//Fighter!

9mm
2010-07-07, 09:00 PM
Hmmm, I thought the OA sleeper hold was part of the martial arts... (something I would rather not touch...)

So I guess bottom line question is, is it worth it to take Reaping Mauler all the way to lvl 5? Is it worth it at all? I guess I'll have to break out my OA and see...

sort answer. No.

long answer. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Abaddon87
2010-07-07, 09:06 PM
Haha thanks 9mm for pointing that feat out! Saved me 5 lvls!

Chambers
2010-07-07, 11:07 PM
Reaping Mauler: An entire class's abilities made irrelevant by a 4th level spell (Freedom of Movement).

Don't take it...
http://pawsru.org/fc/src/fc25336_trap.jpg

Darth Stabber
2010-07-07, 11:25 PM
Reaping Mauler: An entire class's abilities made irrelevant by a 4th level spell (Freedom of Movement).

Don't take it...
http://pawsru.org/fc/src/fc25336_trap.jpg

seconded, always check to see if there is a single spell on nearly everyone's list that invalidates your character concept(especially ones that you don't get to try to save against). This is also why I don't play illusionists or enchanters any more. What reaping mauler needs is an ability that lets them ignore freedom of movement, that would make the class worthwhile. Infact I may homebrew a reaping mauler fix, with the only change being a way to get around freedom of movement.

Douglas
2010-07-07, 11:46 PM

Actually, this is not correct. When you expand you do no longer satisfy the prerequisites for Clever Wrestler, but that just means you can't use the feat. It does not mean that you don't have the feat any more. You still have the feat, however unusable it might be, so it still satisfies the class's prerequisite.

Now if the class itself had a prerequisite of medium size or smaller, that would be different.