PDA

View Full Version : Zip File antivirus scan

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 07:47 PM
Hey, anyone know a good free antivirus program I can use to scan a single .zip file? I tried Trend Mirco's Housecall (free from their website), but it doesn't scan an individual file and I'm not sure if it covered the file. Right now, its just sitting in a .zip folder on my desktop and I'm kinda afraid to open it, but I'm really interested in the program it's supposed to contain.

Flickerdart
2010-07-07, 07:50 PM
Avast can scan individual files, and can get into zips so long as they're not passworded, I think.

Keld Denar
2010-07-07, 09:09 PM
Well, I DLed Avast and gave it a scan, and it found 2 viruses that Trend Micro didn't. So...yay!

It didn't find any viruses in the folder I put the .zip in though. Yay I guess? Time to set a system restore point and pray!

factotum
2010-07-08, 01:31 AM
I would just unpack the Zip file--doing that isn't going to execute any of the content, and your virus scanner ought to flag it up if anything that comes out of it is viral.

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 01:44 AM
The good news is, I unzipped it, scanned it, ran it, and it worked flawlessly. I scanned again after running it, and still nothing. Always use protection!

Mystic Muse
2010-07-08, 01:47 AM
Always use protection!

From which color? :smalltongue:Wish I'd have thought of this one myself.

Flickerdart
2010-07-08, 02:00 AM
From which color? :smalltongue:Wish I'd have thought of this one myself.
http://www.bobandstevegames.com/images/Products/Magic/Conflux/Progenitus

All of them.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-08, 02:04 AM
http://www.bobandstevegames.com/images/Products/Magic/Conflux/Progenitus

All of them.

I've always wanted to make a deck with him in it. I can't afford him though.:smallfrown:

Milskidasith
2010-07-08, 02:51 AM
Progenitus, eh?

http://www.blackborder.com/bbcart/images/prods/Magic-The-Gathering-10th-Edition-Wrath-of-God.jpg

Protection from everything or not, he's gonna die.

lesser_minion
2010-07-08, 09:49 AM
Most antivirus programs are able to unpack archives and check them. Avast is particularly good at it.

If you're really worried about security, you could set up an OpenBSD or a Linux box with some antivirus software and scan any files you're worried about there.

Very little malware is actually targeted at Linux platforms (since all of the malware authors grew up pwning badly designed OSes such as Mac OS and Windows 9x).

However, because both Linux and OpenBSD are popular server OSes, they are usually equipped with antivirus software intended to remove viruses regardless of platform.

Just avoid Clam AV. It's made of a cocktail of failweak and nerfsauce.

Progenitus, eh?

Protection from everything or not, he's gonna die.

Indestructible. He always gets shuffled back into your library, never killed.

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 05:23 PM
I had AVG free, and I never saw anything worthwhile in that program to actually PAY for the "upgraded" versions.

I'm really liking Avast though. It has some neat featurse like "game mode", that, when active, prevents random scans and popups that mess with your gaming experience. Nothing worse than having a scan start running in the middle of a really close DotA game and getting dropped.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-08, 05:52 PM
Indestructible. He always gets shuffled back into your library, never killed.

There are ways to deal with that. Plus, he's not technically indestructible. THere's a difference between indestructible and always being able to say "I got better"