PDA

View Full Version : Gish Fighter Variant

rockdeworld
2010-07-07, 10:44 PM
Here's an idea I came up with. As you'll probably be able to tell, I like gishes, and I dislike the lack of OGL support for them, so this may be a bit extravagent (if simple). So, does this seem like a reasonable fix, still a bit underpowered, or straight-up obsolete some other classes? As always, PEACH :smallsmile:
Fighter Variant: Arcane Warrior

The arcane warrior is a fighter who trains in the use of magic as well as weaponry. Fluff fluff fluff.

Class Skills
Add the following skills to the fighter's class skill list: Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft.

Class Features
The arcane warrior has all the standard fighter class features, except as noted below.

Bonus Feats
An arcane warrior doesn't gain any of the normal fighter bonus feats.

Spells
An arcane warrior casts spells as a sorcerer of his level, except that he knows all spells on the sorcerer/wizard spell list, and subtract 3 from each entry on the "spells per day" chart.

Glimbur
2010-07-07, 11:23 PM
A fighter only gets 2+ skill points a level, and unless he has a good reason to pump Int he's unlikely to be able to cover all three skills you have added. Personally, I'd take Concentration and Spellcraft, but in a pinch Spellcraft can slide.

This is... odd. On one hand, spontaneous access to the entire sorc/wiz list is incredibly good. It's a better version of a large part of the artificer's power. On the other, you get very few spells/day unless you have a crazy high Cha. Were I trying to abuse this, I would focus on Cha primary and Con secondary, and let Str and such float in the wind. This class seems to encourage diving through many books mid-combat to get the perfect spell, because your spell slots are so rare and therefore valuable.

It's possible that it will be really good in one or two combats/day at lower levels and then be a fighter without feats and with weird stat distribution. At mid to high levels, they can afford to cast spells... but mostly lower level spells which are less significant in general at higher levels. This is unfortunate.

I think a better approach would be to try to homebrew an OGL duskblade. They do gish in one class with a more even power level.

jiriku
2010-07-08, 12:06 AM
It doesn't work.

The spells known list is what really kills you. There must be 600 spells on the sorcerer/wizard spell list, spread across 40 different books. No one could possibly keep all of that in mind at once, and the player would either always play the class well below its theoretical potential, or always bog down the game as he hunted through a dozen books trying to remember where that spell he wants to cast is located.

Limit the list.

Also, you'll need 4 skill points per level. The concept of fighter/mage requires more skills than either the fighter or the sorcerer, because it combines both spheres of expertise.

Consider one bonus feat gained at levels 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20. Also, use a d8 or even d6 hit die. The Gish fighter doesn't spend as much time slogging through the mud in full plate, so he's not as tough.

Milskidasith
2010-07-08, 12:33 AM
This is... what?

This is absolutely broken. Granted, you won't necessarily be able to cast all day long (but what caster can?) but this is a tier 1 class because you have unlimited access to all spells with only, effectively, one spell less per day of each level than wizards.

In short: This class is... well, not as bad as the Lightning warrior, but if you tacked on needless TWF feats, it would be pretty close.

jiriku
2010-07-08, 02:19 AM
Good point! Needs two-weapon fighting! And a d20 hit die.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-08, 02:31 AM
This is... what?

This is absolutely broken. Granted, you won't necessarily be able to cast all day long (but what caster can?) but this is a tier 1 class because you have unlimited access to all spells with only, effectively, one spell less per day of each level than wizards.

In short: This class is... well, not as bad as the Lightning warrior, but if you tacked on needless TWF feats, it would be pretty close.

Tier 1 class? I was under the impression it was tier 0.:smallbiggrin:

But, yeah, consider jikiru's suggestion. Maybe allow it to cast spells in any armor, have the (relatively few) bonus feats, the lower hit die (I'll cast in my vote for the d8), then have the same spellcasting as you have up there but with spells known as a sorcerer. That way, it's actually a workable gish: you have full BAB, armor and a handful of bonus feats to work with, so you can slog into battle once you've buffed yourself up with your low spells per day.

rockdeworld
2010-07-08, 04:06 PM
Nice guys, thanks for the advice. I hope you're not serious about the lightning warrior though.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-08, 04:31 PM
Nice guys, thanks for the advice. I hope you're not serious about the lightning warrior though.

...Honestly? If spell compendium is allowed, this is almost as powerful as a lightning warrior. More so, if the person playing it is really savvy.

Temotei
2010-07-08, 07:14 PM
Good point! Needs two-weapon fighting! And a d20 hit die.

And +1d20 damage on every attack per level, including all spells used against opponents!