PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Magazine comics

ekedolphin
2010-07-07, 11:49 PM
Will the OOTS strips from Dragon magazine, which have been occasionally referred to, ever surface in print or online format for posterity?

I haven't yet gotten books 3 or 4, and I don't frequently visit the forum, so I apologize if they've already been released or if this question has already been answered.

Katana_Geldar
2010-07-08, 12:36 AM
Rich has said something about this, but for some reason or another has no immediate plans to do this.

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-08, 12:42 AM
The legal and ownership properties on those strips must look like Elan's mom's waitressing schedule. The characters are owned by the Giant, the ship was created for dragon magazine under Piazo, but the magazine is now owned by Wizards of the coast, which is owned Hasbro. Getting rights would probably require 4 lawyers, 2 company presidents and a duck pond all under a full moon.

So searching the local comic shops for back issues of dragon would be your best bet of doing it legally.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-08, 12:59 AM
If I recall correctly, Rich has stated that he owns the rights to the comics, but hasn't found a suitable way of releasing them yet. At a little over twenty pages, they're too short to comprise their own book but probably too long to include as bonus material in a main compilation.

Bongos
2010-07-08, 02:13 AM
It would be cool to have these in the "Extras" section.

hobbitkniver
2010-07-08, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see them too. I actually learned about oots from Dragon but I don't get it anymore:smallfrown:. This is just my personal hopes though.

tassaron
2010-07-08, 02:50 AM
They're really nothing too special. Cool when they were in Dragon, but on the internet they would just be a few more DCF-style comics and a small arc that won't make sense outside of the magazine anyway. :/

Trixie
2010-07-08, 07:04 AM
The legal and ownership properties on those strips must look like Elan's mom's waitressing schedule. The characters are owned by the Giant, the ship was created for dragon magazine under Piazo, but the magazine is now owned by Wizards of the coast, which is owned Hasbro. Getting rights would probably require 4 lawyers, 2 company presidents and a duck pond all under a full moon.

{Scrubbed} most contractors retains full rights to their work, only giving limited license to publisher willing to pay for it. You sell the rights only if they pay you a huge pile of money, which is pretty unlikely in such limited-audience magazine, or if you're a no-name with weak negotiating position, which Rich certainly wasn't.

Sure, depending how the license was worded, there might be a problem with publishing the strips in another magazine, as Dragon might have got the rights to such exploitation, but seeing how strips recently are published as books, that won't be a big problem.

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-08, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=Trixie;8875719]{Scrubbed} contractors retains full rights to their work, only giving limited license to publisher willing to pay for it.

Was there ANY need to insult me. At all?

Rich of course maintains his rights to the OOTS characters. These particular strips however are (edit: probably) owned by someone else. It would make no sense for a publishing company paying for someone to make something for them to allow the author to retain the rights to publish it in competition with their own writing. The Magazines usually retain their right to exclusivity of the work they purchase.

You sell the rights only if they pay you a huge pile of money, which is pretty unlikely in such limited-audience magazine, or if you're a no-name with weak negotiating position, which Rich certainly wasn't.

You do that if you're selling the whole kit n kaboodle.. the rights to the characters, story, likenesses, movie deals etc. Thats different than selling exclusive rights to these particular strips.

Sure, depending how the license was worded, there might be a problem with publishing the strips in another magazine, as Dragon might have got the rights to such exploitation, but seeing how strips recently are published as books, that won't be a big problem.

There's no real legal difference between a book and a magazine, they're both printed material that you pay money for.

Kish
2010-07-08, 09:24 AM
Considering how touchy Rich is about other people using his work, I would guess, noting that I have no proof of this, that his contracts tend heavily toward the Rich-retains-control end of the spectrum. Especially in light of the fact that the last we've heard from him on the subject is that he plans to sell the Dragon magazine strips to the non-Dragon-reading audience at some point in some form.

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-08, 09:29 AM
Especially in light of the fact that the last we've heard from him on the subject is that he plans to sell the Dragon magazine strips to the non-Dragon-reading audience at some point in some form.

Sell, or give?

If it was a manner of selling they could have been bonus material in the last 2? Books. If it was giving they could be put up like sprained wrist theater in a manner of minutes.

Do you have a link to what Rich said?

Kish
2010-07-08, 09:45 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/index2.html April 19th, 2007 news entry.

Forbiddenwar
2010-07-08, 12:04 PM
So searching the local comic shops for back issues of dragon would be your best bet of doing it legally.

Another alternative if you live in a community that hasn't closed all their libraries yet, you can go there and Interlibrary loan them from anywhere in the country (US) for (usually) free or at most, a copying fee (20 cents each). But if you have closed your libraries, like most are doing, then your SOL.

I think at this point (or after the last book) Rich should put it all in 1 cheap, possibly BW, book for $5

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 12:19 PM
They're really nothing too special. Cool when they were in Dragon, but on the internet they would just be a few more DCF-style comics and a small arc that won't make sense outside of the magazine anyway. :/

Nothing special? They have a half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish slug, for crying out loud!

ChrisFortyTwo
2010-07-08, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE]

Rich of course maintains his rights to the OOTS characters. These particular strips however are (edit: probably) owned by someone else. It would make no sense for a publishing company paying for someone to make something for them to allow the author to retain the rights to publish it in competition with their own writing. The Magazines usually retain their right to exclusivity of the work they purchase.

There's no real legal difference between a book and a magazine, they're both printed material that you pay money for.

There is a big difference between books and magazines. They even use different terminology (with magazines including the word "Serial", as they would not contain second printings)

Here is a really good article (http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec97/cew3.htm) on copyright options, and here is another on terminology (http://freelancewrite.about.com/od/legalissues/a/rights.htm).

When Piazo was republishing Dragon Magazine online in pdf form, the Oots comics were not included--that would suggest that the Giant only gave First Serial Rights to Piazo, or they would have had the right to include it (and probably would have).

(As an aside, I am not endorsing any legal advice, as I am not a lawyer. I am simply pointing out resources on common publishing rights and making an educated guess about the Giant's choices).

derfenrirwolv
2010-07-08, 03:14 PM
There is a big difference between books and magazines.

Would you mind quoting something from one of your links to that effect? The only mention i saw was the complexity of the contract and the likelyhood that you'd want to shell out for a layer over a magazine article (which likely gets you paid less than it would cost to have a lawyer look it over)

They even use different terminology (with magazines including the word "Serial", as they would not contain second printings)

There's no reason you can't reprint magazines, or more likely portions of them.

The Giant
2010-07-09, 02:32 PM
If I recall correctly, Rich has stated that he owns the rights to the comics, but hasn't found a suitable way of releasing them yet. At a little over twenty pages, they're too short to comprise their own book but probably too long to include as bonus material in a main compilation.

This.

I retain all rights other than First Serial Rights; Paizo (or WOTC) can't publish those strips again, ever, for any reason, which is why they're not in the PDF versions they were selling for a while. Paizo approached me to put OOTS in Dragon, and I simply would not have considered it if I didn't retain all rights to all characters and artwork.

And as you say, having 22 comics is too little to release on their own, and too much to add on to my increasingly-mammoth compilations. I have some ideas for additional material to include with them, but working on it takes a backseat to the main comic at this point.

ekedolphin
2010-07-12, 02:21 AM
Thanks for that, Rich: I was hoping I'd hear the word on that from you personally.

hamishspence
2010-07-12, 04:10 AM
Nothing special? They have a half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish slug, for crying out loud!

I like that snail: "Tremble at my illogical glory!" :smallbiggrin:

Kranden
2010-07-12, 06:03 AM
They are totally hilarious, but you will survive not reading them for a while, they have nothing to do with this storyline.

Ancalagon
2010-07-12, 06:43 AM
And as you say, having 22 comics is too little to release on their own

If I may ask... why? 22 strips make up a fine small collection booklet that could be sold for... no idea. 3 or 5$. Throw in two new bonus comics and some comment-page, maybe a foreword by one of the characters... I would not buy it as stand-alone (shipping to europe) but I surely would include it in the order of the next compilation-, prequel-, side-character-, whatever-book you release.

I'm not saying the choice to release them together with "more" is bad (it's just as good and valid as the other one; more OotS is always better, though ;)) but I honestly don't get why a 25-page-booklet for 5$ is too small to make. If the price is worth it is (to me) more determined by price-per-page, not by total price or size.

Ron Miel
2010-07-12, 09:21 AM
How about doing them as a one-shot comic?

King of Nowhere
2010-07-12, 09:44 AM
I've always tougth we would see them one day as bonus material in one of the books.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-12, 02:57 PM
If I may ask... why?
Production overhead, I'd say. Books are cheaper per page if they contain more pages.

Anyway, thanks to the Giant for responding to this. It clears up a lot. For people that can't wait for the eventual compilation, old issues of Dragon magazine can frequently be found in bargain bins at your FLGS.

Bongos
2010-07-12, 04:26 PM
I still think it would be cool to post them here in the extras section,

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootsextras.html

maybe a downloadable pdf for a donation?

or in the main comic as, you know, filler.

Forbiddenwar
2010-07-12, 09:45 PM
For people that can't wait for the eventual compilation, old issues of Dragon magazine can frequently be found in bargain bins at your FLGS.

Or, again, at your local library. Just not to own.

Optimystik
2010-07-12, 10:30 PM
My favorites were the one with "Hide from Undead" and "The Temple of the Shrouded Overlord" :smallbiggrin:

Ancalagon
2010-07-13, 01:27 AM
Production overhead, I'd say. Books are cheaper per page if they contain more pages.

A book is also much cooler than a booklet, sure. But that's not really the point - unless it actually IS the point. ;)

The Giant
2010-07-13, 12:35 PM
If I may ask... why? 22 strips make up a fine small collection booklet that could be sold for... no idea. 3 or 5$. Throw in two new bonus comics and some comment-page, maybe a foreword by one of the characters... I would not buy it as stand-alone (shipping to europe) but I surely would include it in the order of the next compilation-, prequel-, side-character-, whatever-book you release.

I'm not saying the choice to release them together with "more" is bad (it's just as good and valid as the other one; more OotS is always better, though ;)) but I honestly don't get why a 25-page-booklet for 5$ is too small to make. If the price is worth it is (to me) more determined by price-per-page, not by total price or size.

Two reasons.

The first is financial. As you point out, I couldn't charge more than about $5 for a 22-page book, because that's what people expect to pay for such a booklet. However, those sort of prices are set by the comic book industry, and they print hundreds of thousands of copies of their books. Since cost-per-unit drops dramatically as the number of units increases, they can afford to price their books far below what I could for the same number of pages. It comes down to the fact that in order for me to print the books at the same quality as the existing products (which my readers would expect), I would lose money even if I sold out. And I might not sell out; the Dragon comics are both completely non-essential to the ongoing plot AND have seen print before, so a compilation of them could sell far less than I would expect.

(Also, the fact that you would not order it right away is itself a problem. I need to make the printing money back fairly soon in order to pay for the next new book. If everyone in Europe waited on buying it like you suggested, I would be stuck with a pile of a low price tag product and no capital with which to order the next product. Hypothetical future sales do not matter as much as actual current sales, not in an economy where small business loans have pretty much dried up. I can't risk putting out any product that doesn't make its printing cost back in the first two months or so.)

The second reason is physical. A 32-page booklet will be flimsy and easily damaged. It won't be able to stand on the shelf the same as my other books, nor will it be small enough to fit in a comic bag. This will result in a lot of spoilage when shipping to my distributors and a lot of disappointed fans when the books get bent. I'm not about to do that.

Douglas
2010-07-24, 09:00 PM
For those who'd prefer not to wait, which issue(s) of Dragon did these strips appear in?

ref
2010-07-24, 09:59 PM
Aren't they suitable to appear with the next compilation?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-24, 10:02 PM

I'd think they'd appear in the book compiling the ending to oots.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-24, 11:28 PM
The books are pretty huge as they are. The Dragon strips would be suitable if the book were to contain no other bonus material, but the precedent is to have a bunch of strips that flesh out the main plot free of the two-or-three-strips-a-week pacing issues the online comic suffers from. An extra twenty-odd pages on top of that would likely be too much, if not for cost reasons then surely for weight reasons.

And personally, I'd MUCH prefer to have twenty strips of brand-new canonical material than a load of throwaway stuff that I already own (in admittedly badly-scanned form, but still). I'd happily buy the Dragon strips, especially if they were packaged nicely along with other similar content, but I'd be very disappointed if they were the only extras included in one of the main books.

Dubious Pie
2010-07-25, 02:31 AM
I think in a compilation of all the non-online, non-bonus strips would be good. With the Dragon Strips, and the 2 prequel books.

Ancalagon
2010-07-25, 02:48 AM
I think in a compilation of all the non-online, non-bonus strips would be good. With the Dragon Strips, and the 2 prequel books.

They do not really fit SoD. I guess you could squeeze some Dragon comics into a compilation book of the online strip. The online-comic is funny and lighthearted enough for that. But the Dragon-Strips and SoD should not get mixed. They simply are too different in terms of tone and style.

Also, who'd buy that? I bet a large number of the people who do buy the books already have the prequel books.

Bedinsis
2010-07-25, 04:42 AM
I just wanted to add that I wouldn't be interested in the Dragon strips as a standalone issue. They're probably fun and all, but if I'm not mistaken they deal with jokes about the rules of Dungeons and Dragons, and contain no storyline or hardly any relation with The Order of the Stick comic (save the characters) as is. I don't play Dungeons and Dragons, so buying the issue would be pointless, and if there's no storyline in relation to the comic proper I have even less of a reason. I write this because I believe Mr. Burlew himself has stated that there are more non-players than players of Dungeons and Dragons who read The Order of the Stick, so at least half the audience would see little reason to buy the issue.

Unless, of course, players of Dungeons and Dragons vastly eclipses non-players when it comes to actually buying the books.

Ancalagon
2010-07-25, 05:48 AM
Actually... I think that if you like OotS, you'll also like the Dragon comics...

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-25, 10:20 AM
Yeah, particularly if you're a fan of the first fifty strips. They are more rules-centered than recent arcs but no more so than anything from the early days of the online comic. If you like the plot-free jokes of the early strips there's no reason you wouldn't like the Dragon ones; a couple of them are rather brilliant, actually. And I don't play D&D either, for what it's worth.

NerfTW
2010-07-25, 10:47 AM
Honestly, they're not the treasure trove of hilarity that will change your life as some people seem to be thinking. They're pretty much all puns or rules jokes. The only plot relevant thing we get is Belkar's ranks in Gourmet Chef, which has been brought up in the comic itself multiple times since then.

They're clearly out of continuity due to the team being in their original outfits (post art upgrade), running around in a different colored cave that doesn't fit in at any point in the continuity.

They're very funny, don't get me wrong, and they were a great back up comic for the magazine, but I'd think if you knew what they were, you'd much rather get plot relevant material in the compilations over a completely unrelated series of puns that just happen to involve the OotS characters.

Bongos
2010-07-25, 11:05 AM
They could go here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootsextras.html), seems like the perfect place.

Ancalagon
2010-07-25, 11:22 AM
They could go here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootsextras.html), seems like the perfect place.

Apparently, they are meant to get sold. Somehow. Or they would have popped up at the place you linked like... years ago. ;)

But if we can make wishes... the perfect place would be a compilation of them together with like 100 other new bonus comics and... maybe a massive coin of gold. And, if it's not too much to ask, schematics for a working lightsabre, please? :smalltongue:

Bongos
2010-07-25, 11:24 AM
Well the main comic is meant to get sold? And it's popping up here? So what's the difference?

Ancalagon
2010-07-25, 11:27 AM
Well the main comic is meant to get sold? And it's popping up here? So what's the difference?

You can add some "only" somewhere. But really, the place you linked to is so freaking obvious that the *fact* it did not show up there years ago means they are not meant to show up there.

You can argue all you want but very, very apparently, Rich simply does not seem to be willing to just post them on this site as "extra material". Do you think no one, especially the author who owns this site and apparently (he said so) has pondered where he wants to put them has not though of the most obvious place?

I do not claim to have any insight in this at all but the fact underline the comics are simply and plainly not meant to be appear where you suggested (it's a good suggestion, though).

Bongos
2010-07-25, 11:51 AM
If there is a enough demand, they could show up anywhere. Why not put them up here for free like the main comic, it seems to be a successful business model. Certainly there are appreciative readers that never had access to the original Dragon publishing.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-25, 01:03 PM
The books are pretty huge as they are.

Actually they vary greatly. Origins is only 72 pages while Don't Split the Party is just under 200 not counting the bonus strips.

Ancalagon
2010-07-25, 03:30 PM
If there is a enough demand, they could show up anywhere. Why not put them up here for free like the main comic, it seems to be a successful business model. Certainly there are appreciative readers that never had access to the original Dragon publishing.

Well, don't tell or ask me. I cannot tell or answer WHY they are not here. All I know is there seems to be a very high probability (bordering to fact) they won't show up here.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-25, 08:38 PM
Actually they vary greatly. Origins is only 72 pages while Don't Split the Party is just under 200 not counting the bonus strips.
I meant the compilations, obviously. And they've been gradually increasing in size, too. It's pretty much a certainty that we'll never see another compilation shorter than War & XPs, so your nitpickery doesn't affect my point in any way.

If they turn up as bonus material in a prequel book, fine. That more than meets the ratio of brand-new-versus-previously-released content that I'd be happy with.

Prowl
2010-07-26, 09:10 AM
Perhaps the best place to release them is with the "next" prequel book, should it ever arrive. Maybe we'll get some more backstory on some of the older characters in the comic? Adventures of the oots gods, perhaps, or a story about Xykon's life between being a fresh-out-of-the-volcano necromancer and his team-up with Redcloak? Tales of the elves and dwarves? Azurite pre-history? Tons of potential ideas, and if one of those other story arcs is just not long enough to justify its own book, having the Dragon mag comics supplement it may just do the trick for both sets of strips.

rewinn
2010-07-26, 10:32 AM
If I were The Giant's financial advisor, I'd suggest against it.

First, keep in mind that The Giant has to pay for server space and ... who knows? ... maybe even food and rent in the real world (it's no business of mine, but some artists try to make a living off their work.) The current Dragon strips are unsellable in print in their current quantity but they could form the basis of a new book were there time to double or triple the quantity of non-website material. Some day the current story megaarc will end (it may not be for a looooong time, but it will happen) ; then The Giant will need a new project to pay for server space etc. A Book Of Unfinished OOTS Tales as per Tolkien might sell nicely.

And putting the content on this site right now would not draw many new readers; all that would happen, from a business perspective, is additional server load and the forfeiture of an asset.

Bottom line: it's his stuff. We should be grateful for what we get for free, and buy offline when we can.

Ancalagon
2010-07-26, 10:55 AM
I'd also say, given the he apparently is able to live from the comic (you know, server, food, stuff) and this thread, "demand" is no issue at all. It's there. Just not "the right way" to distribute those comics.

The core problem seems to be "Too many to just squeeze them in somewhere, too few to release on their own".

I would not mind to see them in the end after the next book. Maybe after like three empty, white pages (or with just some character-outlines on them or so). Like "a joke after the credits of a funny movie or some computer game". But also apparently, this is not what is wanted or it would have happened two compilation books ago.

Faramir
2010-07-26, 03:28 PM
Just throwing out another option as a suggestion. Perhaps we could get a few in each compilation so the total doesn't overwhelm any individual book?

Katana_Geldar
2010-07-27, 01:12 AM
Perhaps the best place to release them is with the "next" prequel book, should it ever arrive. Maybe we'll get some more backstory on some of the older characters in the comic? Adventures of the oots gods, perhaps, or a story about Xykon's life between being a fresh-out-of-the-volcano necromancer and his team-up with Redcloak? Tales of the elves and dwarves? Azurite pre-history? Tons of potential ideas, and if one of those other story arcs is just not long enough to justify its own book, having the Dragon mag comics supplement it may just do the trick for both sets of strips.

This. The prequel books seem to be rather slim volumes anyway, having them as a bonus to the prequel book would make it great.

factotum
2010-07-27, 01:42 AM
This. The prequel books seem to be rather slim volumes anyway, having them as a bonus to the prequel book would make it great.

On the Origin of PCs was quite slim, but I don't think Start of Darkness was!

Katana_Geldar
2010-07-28, 01:23 AM
Compared to the compiled comics, they are.

pendell
2010-07-30, 03:35 PM
Two reasons.

The first is financial. As you point out, I couldn't charge more than about $5 for a 22-page book, because that's what people expect to pay for such a booklet. However, those sort of prices are set by the comic book industry, and they print hundreds of thousands of copies of their books. Since cost-per-unit drops dramatically as the number of units increases, they can afford to price their books far below what I could for the same number of pages. It comes down to the fact that in order for me to print the books at the same quality as the existing products (which my readers would expect), I would lose money even if I sold out. And I might not sell out; the Dragon comics are both completely non-essential to the ongoing plot AND have seen print before, so a compilation of them could sell far less than I would expect.

(Also, the fact that you would not order it right away is itself a problem. I need to make the printing money back fairly soon in order to pay for the next new book. If everyone in Europe waited on buying it like you suggested, I would be stuck with a pile of a low price tag product and no capital with which to order the next product. Hypothetical future sales do not matter as much as actual current sales, not in an economy where small business loans have pretty much dried up. I can't risk putting out any product that doesn't make its printing cost back in the first two months or so.)

The second reason is physical. A 32-page booklet will be flimsy and easily damaged. It won't be able to stand on the shelf the same as my other books, nor will it be small enough to fit in a comic bag. This will result in a lot of spoilage when shipping to my distributors and a lot of disappointed fans when the books get bent. I'm not about to do that.

Perhaps you could split it as bonus material across multiple compilations? I know that I buy the compilations primarily as a reward to you, the creator, not because I see them as greatly superior to the online material. The sole exception being Start of Darkness, which IMO transcends from mere Graphic Novel to Graphic LITERATURE, at least in my arrogant opinion. Adding the dragon magazine strips as bonus material to multiple volumes would greatly add to the value of the compilations, at least from my perspective.

I'll still buy them anyway, of course. You, as a creator, entertain me. Therefore it is fit that I pay for your work, so you can spend more time doing this and less time whatever the alternative would be. Nonetheless, the Dragon strips comprise additional value which I would be willing to pay for. Bundled into multiple compilations with a slight increase in the price of those compilations would be acceptable to me. But then, I'm only one customer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Shale
2010-07-30, 04:03 PM
Might this be an opportunity to test the e-book waters? I know you've said you don't want to sell the main volumes digitally because it cuts the market for the print editions down too far, but if putting these strips in print is unfeasible anyway, where's the harm?

The Giant
2010-07-30, 04:23 PM
See, now, this is why I don't explain things a lot of the time. It's nigh impossible for me to explain why I do or don't do something without everyone trying to give me an alternative.

I'm not looking for suggestions. I know exactly what I am going to do with Dragon Magazine comics, I'm just not telling you what I'm doing yet, because I'm not ready. All I answered was why the one suggestion of releasing them as a 22-page comic was unrealistic. That's it. It should not imply that I am sitting around befuddled as to what to do with my work and how I should release it.

So, yeah. Thanks for the ideas, but I've got it covered.

Shale
2010-07-30, 04:27 PM
Sorry, I'm just naturally nosy. Thanks for the response, at least!

Ted The Bug
2010-07-30, 11:20 PM
See, now, this is why I don't explain things a lot of the time. It's nigh impossible for me to explain why I do or don't do something without everyone trying to give me an alternative.

I'm not looking for suggestions. I know exactly what I am going to do with Dragon Magazine comics, I'm just not telling you what I'm doing yet, because I'm not ready. All I answered was why the one suggestion of releasing them as a 22-page comic was unrealistic. That's it. It should not imply that I am sitting around befuddled as to what to do with my work and how I should release it.

NO, RICH. I, a complete stranger to know, know better than you do about the business model that has worked since 2003. You should listen to every last bit of advice you are given, and if you dare think about disagreeing, I will stop reading your comic and tell all of my friends that your big mean meanyhead should hit the groundy-ground!!
I feel so betrayed that the person who is giving me free entertainment is not doing exactly what I say!
:smalltongue:
That being said, I'd love to get my hands on those comics. I hope whatever plans you have for them involve publishing them.

Bedinsis
2010-07-31, 05:13 AM

Oh! Well, it's easy to make assumptions when you answer:

(emphasis mine)
with

This.

I retain all rights other than First Serial Rights; Paizo (or WOTC) can't publish those strips again, ever, for any reason, which is why they're not in the PDF versions they were selling for a while. Paizo approached me to put OOTS in Dragon, and I simply would not have considered it if I didn't retain all rights to all characters and artwork.

And as you say, having 22 comics is too little to release on their own, and too much to add on to my increasingly-mammoth compilations. I have some ideas for additional material to include with them, but working on it takes a backseat to the main comic at this point.

Since the part I emphasized was addressed with "some ideas", it's easy to make assumptions. Such as, that all of Nimrod's Son's post was true. Oh well, mistakes can be made easily.

pendell
2010-08-01, 06:46 AM

Message received and understood. I'll look forward to it when it comes out.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Giant
2010-08-01, 06:47 AM
Since the part I emphasized was addressed with "some ideas", it's easy to make assumptions. Such as, that all of Nimrod's Son's post was true. Oh well, mistakes can be made easily.

Well, the part that was bolded was true, the last time I commented on it at all, so Nimrod's Son wasn't incorrect when he posted. However, my comment was referring to the parts around the bolded part: that I owned the rights, and that they were not likely to be published by themselves or tacked onto an existing compilation.

Skull the Troll
2018-07-17, 06:50 PM

But just perfect for a 1.99 pdf!

martianmister
2018-07-17, 09:08 PM
But just perfect for a 1.99 pdf!

http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTSDr.html

Roland St. Jude
2018-07-17, 09:21 PM
Sheriff: This thread was nearly eight years dead. Please avoid thread necromancy people.