PDA

View Full Version : Extremely easy question

FullofQuestions
2010-07-08, 12:19 AM
I could look up some stuff myself, but I need multiple answers to this as soon as possible and I can't be on my computer for more than about five minutes right now. How can I make my fighter better defensively against ranged attacks? Thanks in advance.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-08, 12:41 AM
You're not giving us enough info. What are your stats, what is your class, what books are allowed, what edition are you playing, Heck what are you playing?

theMycon
2010-07-08, 12:42 AM
1: Take cover. If the enemy can't see you clearly, they have a hard time hitting you.

(1.5: darkness + darkvision: kinda counts as both 1 & 2)

2: Miss chances: Blur, displacement, mirror image

3: More AC; falling prone is a free action that helps with this- but remember it lowers your melee AC and takes a move action to get up.

Ideally, I like "tell the wizard to solid fog them". Essentially prevents people far from the battle from participating in the battle.

evil-frosty
2010-07-08, 12:45 AM
Assuming 3.5 a minor cloak of displacement would be good giving you a 20% miss chance against all attacks.

IonDragon
2010-07-08, 12:49 AM
Ring of Displacement (MiC) is good too. IIRC 50% miss chance vs ranged attacks as long as you move 10'+

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 12:59 AM
There is an Armor Crystal in the MIC that gives you a +1, +3, or +5 bonus AC vs ranged attacks. Its pretty cheap.

Math_Mage
2010-07-08, 01:01 AM
There is an Armor Crystal in the MIC that gives you a +1, +3, or +5 bonus AC vs ranged attacks. Its pretty cheap.

Crystal of Deflection, Least/Lesser/Greater.

FullofQuestions
2010-07-08, 08:06 AM
My bad, guys. As I said, I didn't have much time so I forgot some specifics. I'm playing DnD 4E. Thanks for all the help so far though.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-08, 08:53 AM
1: Take cover. If the enemy can't see you clearly, they have a hard time hitting you.

(1.5: darkness + darkvision: kinda counts as both 1 & 2)

Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness. Since you can't provide non-magical darkness on demand, and darkvision doesn't help with magical Darkness, this isn't a particularly effective combo. If you create the Darkness, you'll be in the area where concealment will hurt you.
To determine whether your target has concealment from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that provides concealment, the target has concealment. However, your enemies will have line of sight to lots of things outside the 20' radius of Darkness.

Person_Man
2010-07-08, 10:08 AM
The Wind Cloak Soulmeld bound to your Shoulders Chakra grants you DR 2 + (2*essentia invested) against all ranged attacks, and Defect Arrows usable 1 + essentia invested times per round, usable without a free hand. You can get it with feats, though I suggest a short dip into Incarnate.

Badgerish
2010-07-08, 10:21 AM
For D&D4ed:

There is a neck item called 'Cloak of distortion' I think, gets it's enchancement bonus again as an untyped bonus to all attacks from more than 5 squares away.

Get the Acrobatics skill power or magic boots that let you stand from prone as a minor action, then fall prone as a free action for -2 to ranged attacks.