PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember what it's usually called...

IonDragon
2010-07-08, 12:48 AM
There's a word or phrase for it, that I know I've heard but I can't for the life of me remember...

What's the name of the unspoken rule where the party adventures together even if one or more members would normally not?

arguskos
2010-07-08, 12:52 AM
There's a word or phrase for it, that I know I've heard but I can't for the life of me remember...

What's the name of the unspoken rule where the party adventures together even if one or more members would normally not?
Taking one for the team? Immersion-breaking?

I don't know of a true term that means just that, sorry. :smallfrown:

Math_Mage
2010-07-08, 12:54 AM
Metagaming. The good kind.

Ashram
2010-07-08, 12:54 AM
Railroading? :D

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 12:57 AM
Rule Number 1: Don't split the party.
Rule Number 2: DON'T SPLIT THE PARTY!!!!!

gallagher
2010-07-08, 12:59 AM
Rule Number 1: Don't split the party.
Rule Number 2: DON'T SPLIT THE PARTY!!!!!

tell that to Freddie

IonDragon
2010-07-08, 01:02 AM
While that's helpful, I realize I'm being too vague or maybe it's just something that's not in common use and I saw someone say something to the desired effect once and it almost stuck with me.

Something like a thesaurus word for agreement or contract maybe... Oh well, guess it was just one of those things someone said once.

Lycan 01
2010-07-08, 01:13 AM
"Don't Split the Party."

"The Grand Scheme of Things."

"The Plot Demands It."

"DM Fiat."

Any of those work? :smallconfused:

Prodan
2010-07-08, 01:15 AM
"You look like a trustworthy fellow..."

Malificus
2010-07-08, 01:18 AM
party unity?

Yrcrazypa
2010-07-08, 01:25 AM
Gentlemens agreement, possibly?

Curmudgeon
2010-07-08, 01:27 AM
Misery loves company?

Balain
2010-07-08, 01:33 AM
coterie? Although strict definition I don't think it applies.

pres_man
2010-07-08, 01:35 AM
Enemy Mine? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnemyMine)

Fire Forged Friends? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FireForgedFriends)

bignate
2010-07-08, 01:35 AM
PC halo?

my group has used this term to describe when characters are supposed to act differently toward another party member because they are players. most often used when meeting new chaarcters for the first time and becoming friends with them a little too easily.

Keld Denar
2010-07-08, 01:38 AM
It is dangerous to go alone.
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/zelda/z1/graphics/screen/snap003.gif

olentu
2010-07-08, 01:38 AM
Keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-08, 01:46 AM
Something about Party Cohesion?

Maybe "magnas componere lites". . . could be what your looking for. . .

really i'd need more to go off of i'm not sure of the phrase our talking about.

Superglucose
2010-07-08, 01:59 AM
"What our party is doing"?

Ozymandias9
2010-07-08, 05:00 AM

Hand waving
Willing suspension of disbelief

MickJay
2010-07-08, 05:16 AM
accord? compact? concord? pact? association? league? concurrence?

Escheton
2010-07-08, 05:19 AM
duress?
It's one that wouldn't normally do so.
I say duress or any variation thereupon.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-08, 05:29 AM

The PC Rune.

We're not together because our characters are friends, or allies, or have the same goal. We're only together because we're both PCs.

2010-07-08, 05:32 AM
Social Contract? The stuff that everyone around the table agrees to do, that isn't enforced by the rules of the game. Often includes rules like "no backstabbing", "no stealing", "no evil characters" or "don't be so powerful that no one else gets to do anything".

Superglucose
2010-07-08, 05:54 AM
duress?
It's one that wouldn't normally do so.
I say duress or any variation thereupon.
Well it's not really duress... though our GM apparently thinks it is. And apparently thinks we're on the verge of a bloody interparty conflict.

Here's why:

The "party leader" is a Drow who owns 2/5 of the other PCs, and is in a mutually beneficial informal contract with 2/5ths of the other PCs, and the final other PC is a tag along to one of the ones with an informal contract.

Ion's character is owned, and my character's informal mutually beneficial business proposition is mostly this: treat the kobold well, and I serve you. Treat the kobold poorly, and I eat you.

Our GM took that to mean the Drow said "I am going to hold the kobold as a hostage against your good behavior." This is a level 1 drow fighter, I am a level 3 lesser asimar druid. The Drow was AFK for one game, and the GM decided to threaten my character into doing some healing at my character's expense. My character looked him in the eye and said "No." The Drow decided to threaten the kobold, and I said, "I think I can take the drow."

And so that is the story of how our GM is the only person at a 7-person table (6 players, 1 GM) who believes the whole party are slaves. His prediction of a bloody dissent in the party is well off... unless Xune's player decides that she wanted to threaten me with the kobold's life. Then yes, there will be dissent within the party as I go tier1 on that fighter's behind.

Tyrmatt
2010-07-08, 06:15 AM
The Greater Good.

Even the evil can rationalise that if the end of the world is brought about in some fashion, they won't have anywhere to be evil in. On the other hand, a chaotic good character could adventure with an evil party to prevent the imposition of a totalitarian order that would destroy all freedom and expression.

Sometimes its also called Alignment Mismatch Comedy as well. Two heroes from polar alignments must work together for a common goal in the most hilarious buddy module of the year!

Escheton
2010-07-08, 06:27 AM
stuff

looks like your dm has been reading too much nuklear power and books about drow culture. Or is taking the term DM to heart a bit much.

It makes for interesting situation too take slavery and drow culture into your game to that extend. Unfortunately it is difficult to not metagame your knowledge of lvls. And pc's are not allowed to make intimidatechecks against each other.
And in stand-offs like that it is also difficult to settle disputes with intense roleplaying, especially when player pride is involved, when it so easy too just waste each other and move on.

IonDragon
2010-07-08, 04:38 PM
Social Contract?

This is close enough.

Bagelz
2010-07-09, 12:18 PM
suspension of disbelief?

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-09, 12:29 PM
I find it grimly amusing that the the person directly creating player conflict is the DM. :smallsmile:

I have no idea how to safely deal with the situation, but wish you luck.